reports that Take-Two Interactive is suing 3D Realms and
Apogee over the 3D Realms' closure
and the whole Duke Nukem
Forever in limbo situation ((thanks
). Word is:
Take-Two Sues Apogee Over ‘Duke Nukem’
Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., the maker of the “Grand Theft Auto” video
games, sued Apogee Software Ltd.’s 3D Realms over the failed development of a
sequel to the “Duke Nukem” game called “Duke Nukem Forever.”
Take-Two, owner of the publishing rights to the game, said Apogee breached an
agreement to design the latest installment of Duke Nukem, a game in which the
player “shoots” enemies. The new version has been under development since 1997,
the company said yesterday in a complaint in a state court in Manhattan.
3D Realms, which was based in Garland, Texas, never produced the game and
instead closed its studio on May 6, terminated development of the game and fired
employees who had been involved in the Duke Nukem project, Take-Two said.
“Apogee continually delayed the completion date for the Duke Nukem Forever,”
Take-Two said in the complaint. “Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the
video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing
development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever.”
Take-Two said in 2000 it had an agreement with Apogee and paid $12 million for
publishing rights to the forthcoming game. In 2007, the two companies entered
into a second agreement.
The case is Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. v. Apogee Software Ltd.
601457/2009, New York State Supreme Court, New York County (Manhattan).