Axios Gaming Newsletter
has a roundup of gaming business news from crack
reporter Stephen Totilo. Included are the latest tea leaf readings on when we
might expect Grand Theft Auto VI
. Despite much speculation, there has
never been an official announcement of plans for Rockstar's next iteration of
Take-Two's cash cow, but Stephen notes it may actually arrive by early 2024.
Here are the clues:
Take-Two Interactive may have signaled this
week that the elusive Grand Theft Auto VI will be released by early 2024.
Driving the news: Stock analysts are getting that from Take-Two
executives’ assertion Monday that the company’s compound annual growth rate
through 2024 will be 14%.
- Take-Two stated that as part of its promotion of its planned Zynga deal.
- "There are only a handful of titles that can ... provide management with
the confidence to put out such a strong guidance; we believe there is at
least one Rockstar IP set to be released by FY24," an analyst from Jefferies
- Cowen’s Doug Creutz translated the numbers, which anticipate some $9
billion in bookings (read: gaming-related transactions), into “a likely GTA
6 launch in FY24.”
- That FY24 stretches from April 1, 2023, through March 31, 2024.
Between the lines: Take-Two has previously hinted at the release
of Rockstar’s blockbusters by announcing increased revenue expectations for
- Take-Two tipped a 2012 or early 2013 release window for GTA V back in
2011 through its newly announced financial targets, then signaled a delay
when it lowered them, Creutz told Axios. The game shipped in late 2013.
- “So yeah, there absolutely is precedent for putting a Rockstar game into
#s before it’s officially dated (and then getting it wrong),” he said.