Developer EggNut and publisher Raw Fury now offer Backbone
, a "post-noir"
detective RPG for Windows. It shouldn't take a detective to track this down, as
it's available on the
Epic Games Store
as through the
Xbox Game Pass for PC
. As shown off in the stylish pixel-art
, the game puts the player in the role of a hard-boiled detective who
happens to be a raccoon. Here's more:
Backbone puts you in the shoes of
raccoon private investigator Howard Lotor in a dystopian Vancouver, British
Columbia, beautifully rendered in high-resolution pixel art. After years of
small-time cases, lonely evenings, and just barely scraping by, Howard is swept
up in a job quite unlike any other. But what starts as a menial case slowly
unravels into something much darker, pitting Howard against the oppressive,
systemic power hierarchies of the city itself.
- Become a raccoon as you explore the seedy underbelly of an alternate
Vancouver inhabited by anthropomorphic animals.
- Make meaningful connections with a diverse cast of characters in pursuit
of the truth in an increasingly tangled mystery.
- A modern dystopic tale of a cold and existentialist world, bleak and
dreary, but not entirely without hope.
- High-resolution 2.5D pixel art creates a breathtaking landscape to
explore alongside 3D effects like dynamic lighting, pouring rain, volumetric
fog and neon lights.
- Original doom jazz soundtrack adds to the cinematic ambience, telling a
story with every sound.