Early Access to Dr. Derk's Mutant Battlegrounds
is now available for
Windows and macOS
, offering a "wonky" new MOBA with stark untextured models. This
features neural network training of characters based on the OpenAI that beat a
team of professionals at Dota 2 a couple of
. Interestingly they are charging $4.99 for the game in a genre
where all the major titles have long since gone free-to-play. Here's the
Dr. Derk’s Mutant Battlegrounds is an experiment in using
deep neural networks in a game. As a player you train agents, “Derklings”, in a
MOBA-style setting, and battle other players teams. The Derklings can be
equipped with a number of upgrades, and the challenge is to figure out the best
way to train and equip them to beat other teams.
Some things to look forward to:
- A dead simple way to get started training your own agents with deep
neural networks. Just load up the agents and hit train!
- Some technical details; the agents employ a RNN with over 3,000
parameters and 32 memory slots, and are trained with GA (Genetic Algorithm).
Plenty enough for them to come up with all kinds of strange, funny and
- A bunch of fun upgrades that all change what the Derklings can do and
what they might learn.
- Three different battlegrounds with global leaderboards; 1v1, 2v2 and
- Visualizations for those who wish to dig deeper into the brains of the
Derklings and fully understand their behaviors.
- A community of people fascinated by AI and neural networks.