has details on
a big "Colony" update that's now live in
Ascent - The Space Game
, the PvE
space MMO being supported by a lone developer that's currently available
and pursuing a
. For those interested, there is a demo version of this
that can be played online
using the Unity player plugin. Here's a quick rundown on all that's added by the
- Ascent players can now colonize the 270 billion+
outer star systems!
- This feature is a complete city-building sim
included in the existing MMO. Cities can grow to be up to 100km in radius,
and there is no hard coded limit on the number of buildings or colonists.
- Designed to be the new endgame for industrialist
players, Colonization has more depth and complexity than previous features.
- Outer planets generally have very hostile
environments—necessitating the use of Environmental Domes, which are huge
and require a lot of complex materials to construct.
- Players can then program and configure their Domes
into a habitable state by adjusting the radiation, temperature, gravity,
atmospheric composition and pressure inside.
- Colonists can then be recruited and transported to
- Colonial farming and mining are more complex and
involved than in the inner system cities players built earlier in the game,
since these new colonies have no starting population, support or
infrastructure, and hostile environments.