is back online after some scheduled maintenance for the formerly free online shooter. We say formerly free because they have launched two different premium subscription plans for the service, though "standard" QUAKE LIVE play remains free. There is a Premium Subscription Plan for $1.99 a month with some perks including exclusive maps, and a Pro Subscription Plan for $3.99 per month offering further features, including the ability to start your own server and invite players with Standard memberships to play on Premium maps. The full rundown follows.
The Premium Subscription, which can be purchased for $1.99 per month, billed annually, includes:
- Access to 20 QUAKE LIVE Premium only maps at launch with more to come. Premium maps are a combination of brand new maps and frequently requested community favorites from previous QUAKE games such as Aerowalk, Theater of Pain, Japanese Castles, and Realm of Steel Rats;
- An all new ‘Freeze Tag’ game mode;
- Exclusive premium level awards;
- Create your own clan and join up to five separate clans;
- Custom QUAKE LIVE profile wallpaper; and
- Match statistics stored for six months.
The Pro Subscription, which can be purchased for $3.99 per month, billed annually, includes all of the premium subscription features as well as:
- The ability to start your own game server, specify a server location, determine the game mode and invite who you want to join you;
- With the Pro Subscription, you can invite three friends with Standard level memberships to play with you in any Premium level map;
- Exclusive pro awards;
- Create your own clan and join up to ten separate clans; and
- Match statistics stored for 12 months.
The QUAKE LIVE ‘Standard’ version is still free to play and includes friend lists, access to one clan, matchmaking, and stats tracking delivered through a web browser with over 40 arenas and five game modes.