Name: Timothee Besset
Fri Feb 2 14:59:44 CST 2007
Doom 3(TM) 1.3.1
We've posted a Doom 3 update (version 1.3.1) to ftp and torrent. You will find a detailed list of changes below.
There is nothing major in this update, but we had accumulated various fixes and improvements over recent months
and we felt it was worth putting a new release out. We've been testing the game under Vista, and we're also
bringing back cross-platform multiplayer compatibility with the Mac (the installer was contributed by Aspyr).
A few notes about Vista:
We've tested Doom 3 and Quake 4 to run fine on Windows Vista, provided you have an OpenGL ICD installed
(provided by your GPU vendor). Both NVidia and AMD/ATI have released an OpenGL ICD in their latest driver line.
If no OpenGL ICD is present, the default OpenGL driver is a wrapper to D3D provided by Microsoft, which lacks the
necessary features to run id games with their full performance and graphical impact.
The install CDs (and DVDs) for Doom 3 and Quake 4 will install the game fine under Vista. The Quake 4 installer
may require you to install Flash Player first, and Vista may pop occasional warning windows but in the end
you will get a working installation.
Fixes and updates in 1.3.1:
- Tested and improved Vista compatibility
- Fix a potential crash in physics
- Fix an issue with pak downloaded being immediately appended without filesystem restart
- Fixes to DNS lookup, reduced the stalls
- Updated the code to gcc 4.0 compliance, for Mac OSX universal binaries and GNU/Linux x86 binaries
- Threading implementation for Mac and Linux is more compliant with the Win32 behaviours
- Fix Alsa sound backend (Linux)
- Fixes to tty code (Linux)
Fixes for modding/SDK:
- Fix RevBitFieldSwap issue (affected only big endian platforms)
- Fix ReadBindFromSnapshot
- Verbose overflow check in idBitMsg::WriteBits and apply related fixes
- Fix a GetFileList issue
- Expose key states and button states to the game
- Pass lastPredictFrame to the game (client prediction)
- Pass HandleMainMenuCommands to the game
- Pass the GUID to the game (in ClientConnect call)
- Allow game to override gui load menu
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom3/source/ (SDKs in subdirectories)
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com:6969/ for the various torrents
Thu Jan 25 16:25:30 CST 2007
Updated Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for MacOS X
We've fixed the issues reported with the initial build. There's a full package available and an update if you already have 2.60c:
cd7d2dd9826821d2f9ffe0789e4c0718 Wolfenstein ET.2.60d.dmg
The files are on ftp and on our bittorrent ftp as usual:
Fixes since 2.60c:
- cursor problem when changing bindings in the control menu
- now defaults to 24 Z-buffer, fixes Z-fighting problems
- fix listen server crashing at the end of warmup and related crashes
Mon Jan 15 16:28:09 CST 2007
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory universal binary for MacOS X
I've uploaded a universal binary of Wolfenstein ET to our ftp server  and bittorrent server .
md5: 39cb5f3dcc07b9a56afddad3868652c2 Wolfenstein ET.2.60c.dmg
I've been putting that build together as a side project for a while now, and it was time to
get it out. I'll watch for feedback and fix showstoppers (if any). The client will work against
the official ET 2.60 servers running etmain/, and PunkBuster is included.
I hope ETPro and other major ET mods out there can update and support the new Mac client soonish.
Meanwhile you may have a bit of trouble finding servers that will accept this new client
(the best approach may be to use qstat  and filter for servers running etmain/,
I haven't found a good third party server browser for OSX at this point)
I updated the SDK  (there are very little changes to the source), in which you'll find XCode
projects to compile the universal binaries of ui, game and cgame.
There. I hope that kicks off a GREAT year for the Enemy Territory franchise :-)
: ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/et/osx/Wolfenstein ET.2.60c.dmg
Mon Aug 7 18:14:23 CDT 2006
Quake4 1.3 update for Linux
And another high-octane QuakeCon!
Thanks to everyone who made this year such an awesome event. I had loads of fun ( and a nasty hangover )
I have a few updates to the Linux release of Quake 4 1.3:
ad79376dac8ae58f5a05a5a61711f29f quake4-linux-1.3-2.x86.run 
1fb3ffaa109243cc446d528508f61317 quake4-linux-1.2-to-1.3-2.x86.run 
The 1.2 to 1.3 installer had issues, and I fixed the SMP problems ( thanks for reporting this ).
The files are also on id's BitTorrent 
If you already have 1.3 installed and working, and only want to fix the SMP problems, you can
replace the previous 'id' SDL lib with that one:
Mon May 8 11:22:43 CDT 2006
Updates to Quake III Arena, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory:
We are releasing updates to all three games to fix some security issues discovered following our release of the Quake III Arena source code under GPL.
5e55095e654732063621a2ffa95a2da3 quake3-1.32c.zip 
2626b20fc545caa72676677809221d73 Wolf-1.41b.zip 
fb83b8732fc7373c277180b663debf57 ET-2.60b.zip 
The zips hold binaries for all the operating systems we support. You need to upgrade to the latest through the usual installers first, and replace the engine binaries with the newer ones.
The issues fixed are CVE-2006-2082 ( information leak ), and a buffer overflow exploitable by malicious servers ( CVE-2006-2236 ). More details are in the README.txt in each zip.
Updated GNU/Linux Return To Castle Wolfenstein 1.41b installer:
While working on the above I realized the latest GNU/Linux installer for RTCW was quite broken, so I repackaged it into a full setup.
Quake4 1.2 for MacOS X:
Aspyr sends word that they have released a patch to Quake4 Mac, bringing the release up to date with the latest 1.2 on other platforms. This is also the first release to support SMP renderer acceleration, which a lot of the Mac hardware can take advantage of.
We're at E3 this week, showing off Enemy Territory: Quakewars. Don't be a stranger.
Fri Apr 28 11:30:12 CDT 2006
Quake4 1.2.1 for GNU/Linux x86 update!
This update is fully compatible with other versions of Quake4 1.2. The main reason for this release is the addition of SMP renderer acceleration to the Linux version. Same rules apply for Linux SMP as they do on Windows. Depending on your system ( CPU limited, GPU limited, processor cache sizes.. ), this may or may not improve performance.
The SMP binary requires a modified version of the SDL library, which is shipped with the installer. A patch of the changes we applied to the lib is in the setup as well.
Other things fixed:
- no longer using SDL_ListModes to filter available resolutions ( use +set r_useSDLModes to re-enable, SDL_ListModes returns way too little of the possible resolutions )
- fix stalls that may happen with DNS resolution ( Linux bug only )
- fix a download bug: if the server is configured with some of the fs_*path cvars having a trailing slash, they might cut one character when returning download URLs.
The download bug affects all operating systems. If you run a Windows server, make sure you don't have a trailing slash at the end of fs_basepath
The update is available from our ftp and from the BitTorrent tracker:
Wed Feb 22 17:53:17 CST 2006
New Quake 4 1.1 Linux installer:
A few things while I'm here:
- We are seeing reports of problems connecting to servers because pak013.pk4 is missing. That's the QuakeMas maps, which you can get from our ftp  and mirrors. The final installer for 1.1 will bundle QuakeMas maps and several new maps so that will go away.
- The Linux client does not support SMP or VoiceChat at this point
- The SMP code in Quake 4 takes advantage of multiple cores for rendering purposes only. It will not affect dedicated server performance at all. It will not send both of your CPUs to 100% usage either.
Wed Feb 22 16:59:28 CST 2006
Busted Linux installer!
Do not download the current Quake 4 1.1 Linux installer, it has some bad files that will prevent windows clients from connecting in.
So, the file you don't want to get:
Thanks to everyone who reported this already. Will upload a new one in a bit.
Fri Feb 17 11:26:49 CST 2006
GtkRadiant is now available under GPL license, along with some Quake II tools which we never got a chance to put under GPL before. Head over to the qeradiant website  for all the details.
I want to personnaly thank everyone who has been contributing to the project over the years, specially Randy Reddig ( ydnar ) and William Joseph ( spog ) for the many hours they've put into this. And thanks for sticking to my word that eventually we were going to be able to place radiant under a more "open" license.
Wed Dec 21 11:10:11 CST 2005
I've uploaded a zip version of the QuakeMas map pak for Quake 4 to our ftp .
Mon Dec 12 17:18:27 CST 2005
Quake 4 1.0.5 is out. See all details on our website , more about the Linux release on the Linux page 
Tue Nov 29 15:49:15 CST 2005
Quake 4 Demo!
The GNU/Linux installer for the Quake 4 demo is on the ftp  as well and on the BitTorrent tracker .
Note regarding multiplayer that windows clients are able to connect and play on the Linux dedicated server, but Linux clients can only play on Linux servers. Read through the FAQ  for details.
Wed Nov 16 13:55:19 CST 2005
We have released the 1.0.4 update for Quake 4. Check our website  for all the announcement details. This update is compatible with the current release, but we recommend everyone to upgrade. We also released an SDK so you can start making game modifications. There is also lots of documentation on content creation on the iddevnet website .
Now to answer a few frequently asked questions about the GNU/Linux version:
- Linux clients can't play on pure Windows servers 'out of the box'. Even with this update, Windows server still need to put a game pak in their path so Linux clients can join in. This is documented in the Quake 4 GNU/Linux FAQ .
- The builtin level editor will not be available on Linux. As was the case with Doom 3, it is too heavily dependent on Windows APIs to be ported. I would advise anyone interested in content creation for Quake 4 on GNU/Linux to help add support in GtkRadiant .
Mon Oct 24 11:34:16 CDT 2005
Just to spread the word a bit:
Quake 4 crashing on Debian and Debian-based GNU/Linux distributions, see
Thu Oct 20 10:25:39 CDT 2005
Quake 4 for GNU/Linux is available now! The installer has been uploaded to our ftp and on the BitTorrent tracker.
We're very pleased to announce that this it with both a dedicated server and a native client.
A licensed copy of Quake 4 retail for Windows(r) is required
You will copy the assets files from it and use the CD key
( a CD key is not required to run a dedicated server )
See the Quake4 GNU/Linux FAQ page  for all the details.
Fri Aug 19 13:49:55 CDT 2005
Quake III Arena source code released under GPL
We're done packaging up the Quake III Arena source code for a GPL release:
note that a build of Q3Radiant 200f is included under GPL as well
some D3 SDK things:
I've uploaded an XCode project file  to make it easier to build
the gamecode on Mac. There is no SDK source update needed at
Fri Jul 15 18:56:18 CDT 2005
DOOM 3 1.3 for Mac OSX
Aspyr released DOOM 3 1.3 update for Mac OSX this week. The game code is compatible with the other 1.3 releases, mod makers can produce mac game code from the current SDK release. We will look into updating the SDK with some XCode project files to make it easier.
Tue May 24 15:35:57 CDT 2005
DOOM 3 1.3 Released
The 1.3 patch for DOOM 3 and updated SDK are now available on the id FTP
server , on http://www.doom3.com  and on the torrent tracker .
Please refer to the documentation after installation for a complete
list of changes since version 1.0.
The Linux update adds support for DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil. See the
Linux FAQ  for installation instructions.
The updated SDK also includes game source code for the Resurrection of Evil
expansion pack. New features in 1.3 have been documented in the Linux FAQ .
Fixes & Updates in 1.3:
- PunkBuster(TM) support has been added.
- EAX(R) ADVANCED HD(TM) support in the sound engine contributed by Creative
Labs(R). Doom 3 base game comes with room reverb data.
- To utilize EAX(R) ADVANCED HD(TM) in Doom 3, you must have 100% EAX 4.0
compatible sound card. Please refer to your sound card manufacturer for
details on whether or not your sound card supports EAX 4.0.
- Sound Blaster(R) Audigy(R) 2 users who wish to utilize the new EAX 4.0
feature in Doom 3 should download the latest Creative Beta Drivers for the
card released on April 5th, 2005. Not using these drivers may result in game
instability while using EAX 4.0.
- Server provides .pk4 file download URLs (http/ftp), client has internal
- New class of .pk4 files: 'addon paks' are only referenced when the map is
- .pk4 downloads and addon paks come with a number of fixes to the 'pure
server mode' filesystem code.
- Fixed ragdoll bounciness.
- Fixed how Doom 3 detects LAN client vs. Internet clients.
- LZW compression of render demos.
- Fixed command line parameter passing.
- Added a QuakeIII-style graph of the connection quality for network clients
controlled with net_clientLagOMeter cvar
displays a graph of how much the client predicts ahead of the server
note that you can change the minimum predict ahead of a client by
Changes relevant to mod developers (SDK):
- Added UploadImage to idRenderSystem interface. This lets the user blit
images to the renderer.
- Supports fs_game_base; this lets you base a mod off base game + d3xp +
your own content.
- Most of the download redirection is handled in the game code, and can be
- ALSA device opened non-blocking to avoid hangs.
Wed Apr 13 10:08:55 CDT 2005
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory 2.60 SDK & misc D3 1.3 / ROE information
The SDK for ET 2.60 has been uploaded to our ftp:
Also, regarding the next Doom 3 patch ( version 1.3 ):
- Resurection of Evil will be supported on Linux
- release 1.3 has EAX HD support, PunkBuster and bunch of other goodies
- we will release an updated SDK shortly after the patch release
- it's not done yet
Mon Mar 21 14:00:38 CST 2005
Updated Mac OS X setup
The initial setup had some permission bugs. We've put together a better one:
b4f1ea8f8502ce7ad86bd64195724ed5 Wolfenstein Enemy Territory 2.60-2.dmg
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory 2.60
An updated version of Wolfenstein Enemy Territory  is available.
We'd like to thank the ETPro mod team  for all the work they did helping us getting this release out. We also have a Mac OS X client thanks to Brad Oliver at Aspyr .
A quick incomplete summary of the changes ( fully detailed information is available in the patch documentation ):
- minor optimizations in server and client engine for lower cpu usage
- demo recording and playing fixes. sound recording
- server can redirect clients to other servers when full
- mods menu
- anisotropic texture filtering is now supported in renderer
- fixed http download crashes
- various server engine crashes fixed
- fixed Antilag (it was dependent on client fps, and headshots weren't delagged)
- upped the number of servers in the browser
Where can you download the files? You can get them from id's ftp  or from the BitTorrent tracker . Many websites will carry the files within a few hours too.
 http://games.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/ - Enemy Territory
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory is a free, stand-alone, downloadable multiplayer game in which players wage war as Axis or Allies in team-based combat.
Mon Mar 14 15:51:46 CST 2005
congrats to Aspyr on shipping DOOM 3 for Mac today!
Fri Nov 26 11:55:45 CST 2004
Linux Doom III 1.1.1286 build:
There are new GNU/Linux binaries for Doom3 on the ftp and the BitTorrent tracker. This build is compatible with the previous release, brings a number of bug fixes and new sound code. Alsa and multichannel sound output are now supported.
No GUI changes were made in order to remain compatible with the first release, you will need to set some cvars on the command line to configure your sound:
set s_driver to best, alsa or oss. (best will just try alsa and fallback to OSS otherwise )
set s_numberOfSpeakers to 2 for stereo, 6 for multichannel sound ( whatever your actual number of speakers may be ).
doom3 +set s_driver alsa +set s_numberOfSpeakers 6
will start doom3 using the Alsa sound backend in multichannel mode
notes about OSS:
The Linux kernel comes with the OSS/Free API, which works great in most cases but lacks multichannel support. You can download a binary OSS/Linux implementation from 4Front Technologies. To sum up, the drivers are 'free for non commercial use'. You can use them to play Doom III. They have great multichannel support, and that's the drivers I used to develop the OSS backend.
Thanks to everyone who helped testing this build .. and thanks for the positive Linux feedback emails we've been getting..
Tue Nov 16 15:52:29 CST 2004
There is a new release of the DOOM3 SDK available. See http://www.iddevnet.com/ for details. This release is compatible with the Linux 1.1 release ( and includes scons build scripts ).
Copyright © Square
Eight 1998-2018. All Rights Reserved.
The BlueTracker is provided by Webdog.
We are not responsible for the content of the .plans displayed here.