Some comments to looneygames, also mailed to them...
I wanted to address some of the comments made about GameSpy.
1) "However, I think one of the strikes against GameSpy's future is how
bewildering it's interface and behavior is to beginners."
Well, we do listen and Jack is working on this very problem for the next
major release. Admittedly, GameSpy is really powerful and you do need to
use that power to get the most out of GameSpy. Using the tabs really does
2) GameSpy being slow. Well tweak it! I went to great pains to allow you
to tweak it. GameSpy is sort of tuned for modem to ISP use. If you are on
a network or have DSL or cable modem, then you should definately tweak it.
Joe has DSL now and uses 60 threads I believe. GameSpy averages several
pings. It sends one, waits for the response, and when it times out or
receives the response, sends another. Other programs blast multiple
packets. GameSpy actually talks to the servers rather than sending ICMP
packets. We don't blast because we are not trying to flood the servers.
There are a lot of GameSpy users. Try reducing retries to 1.
3) RTFM. That goes for any program, not just GameSpy. 'nuff said there.
4) GameSpy is not really any slower than it used to be while querying.
There are a lot more servers now. Try the SmartSpy filters too. Fewer
servers means GameSpy finishes much faster. Again tweak it.
5) IPX/SPX. There are very few things I hate in the computer world but
Novell is one of them. None of my computers has IPX installed. That
seriously helps Windows stability.
6) GameSpy has chat. RTFM or click the spy guy with the balloon. Oh, read
the tool tips.
Timothy 'CMonster' Cook
Copyright © Square
Eight 1998-2016. All Rights Reserved.
The BlueTracker is provided by Webdog.
We are not responsible for the content of the .plans displayed here.