Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

PC Gaming > RTS recommendations?

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. No subject Jun 13, 2017, 02:12 Quinn

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! Greatly appreciated.

I bought the Starcraft 2 battlechest and I'm hooked. At the Zerg campaign now. Great story!

I had no idea Homeworld had a real campaign. I checked a Let's Play and that game is something else! It looks very complex but I definitely have it on my list.

Checked the Anno games and I'll go with your recommendation. I love Settlers so far so I'll prolly love those games as well.

Played Red Alert when it just came out. Those games are really dated when I check them out. Not sure if they aged well? Will look into it more, but my backlog is growing xD

Anyway, loving Starcraft 2 so maybe I'll love Warcraft 3 as well? The nostalgia to vanilla WoW will probably hurt me with that one, though.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. No subject Jun 13, 2017, 00:06 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 06:03:
All Anno 3d games? On my list! I'll do research, thanks mate.

Settlers games aren't suddenly my type of RTS' though ^^ I don't know what my types are so don't let my first try influence your suggestions to me I religiously ignored RTS games before, which is why I'm so terribly in the dark about them. The Blizzard RTS games are good? I'll look into them as well.

Still wonder what triggered me into this RTS lust. I think it was the Spellforce thread + Life is Feudal: Forest Village thing that peaked my interest somehow. But it's also my age. More patience for patient games I guess..?

Anno is mostly a settler game, but there is some combat. The most recent versions (with future settings) aren't that great IMHO. I liked Anno 1701 most and its follow-up, Anno 1404, is also pretty good. They're both heavily discounted on GOG now.

Tip: production is nearly always 2:1 - e.g. 2 farms produce enough for 1 mill; 2 mills produce enough for 1 bakery. Except resources like coal, which are 1:2 - 1 mine produces enough for 2 smelters.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

7. C&C Jun 11, 2017, 22:47 Ant

jdreyer wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 14:02:
One of the best story-based RTS games I played was the original Warhammer 40K Dawn of War. Great gameplay, fun campaign. The expansions are great too.

More fun story-based RTSs are the Command and Conquer series, with their campy video cut scenes.

For pure RTS gameplay, try Supreme Commander. There's a campaign, too, which is good just not great.

Lastly, the story and campaign of Homeworld (remastered beautifully last year) is excellent.
Old C&C series was rad. Skip C&C4. Ugh.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

6. No subject Jun 10, 2017, 14:02 jdreyer

One of the best story-based RTS games I played was the original Warhammer 40K Dawn of War. Great gameplay, fun campaign. The expansions are great too.

More fun story-based RTSs are the Command and Conquer series, with their campy video cut scenes.

For pure RTS gameplay, try Supreme Commander. There's a campaign, too, which is good just not great.

Lastly, the story and campaign of Homeworld (remastered beautifully last year) is excellent.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?

5. No subject Jun 10, 2017, 06:03 Quinn

All Anno 3d games? On my list! I'll do research, thanks mate.

Settlers games aren't suddenly my type of RTS' though ^^ I don't know what my types are so don't let my first try influence your suggestions to me I religiously ignored RTS games before, which is why I'm so terribly in the dark about them. The Blizzard RTS games are good? I'll look into them as well.

Still wonder what triggered me into this RTS lust. I think it was the Spellforce thread + Life is Feudal: Forest Village thing that peaked my interest somehow. But it's also my age. More patience for patient games I guess..?

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

4. No subject Jun 10, 2017, 03:21 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 18:00:
Thanks for the suggestion! I just watched one vid and it looks incredibly detailed and impressive. Also intimidating with a lot of micromanagement. I'll look into this game!

Just bought Settlers 7 cheap. Played for 2 hours today and it's really fun. No real troops or workers control, which I kinda miss, but a lovely mood and I like the music.

Well if that kind of direction is your thing, Anno games, really all of the 3d ones It's more building than RTS, but it's still generally a RTS... just not as basic as "just" building a base and attack moving.. and of course Dawn of war 1 and Dawn of War 2 (if you like squad focused RTS)

Find it hard to believe you never played any of these though. But hey, check out Anno games and maybe one of em will hit your urges? Who knows. I am saying that because Settlers 7 is a very odd RTS so if that is your thing other odd games in this genre might be better than the big names (ie Star Craft 2, Warcraft 3 and CnC Generals and so on... );p

3. No subject Jun 9, 2017, 18:00 Quinn

Thanks for the suggestion! I just watched one vid and it looks incredibly detailed and impressive. Also intimidating with a lot of micromanagement. I'll look into this game!

Just bought Settlers 7 cheap. Played for 2 hours today and it's really fun. No real troops or workers control, which I kinda miss, but a lovely mood and I like the music.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

2. Re: RTS recommendations? Jun 8, 2017, 23:30 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 18:02:
Guys, since a few weeks I'm really wanting for a good RTS. I've never been an RTS enthusiast so I don't know what triggered this.

Anyway, the RTS you recommend needs to have a story-based goal and can be either action packed or more mellow like Banished. Like I said, I've never been into RTS' so I'd appreciate any recommendation. I'm kinda finding myself in unknown territory, lustful. XP

I'm tempted to get Steel Division: Normandy 44. I liked WarGame: Airland Battle a lot, a previous RTS from Eugen.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

1. RTS recommendations? Jun 7, 2017, 18:02 Quinn

Guys, since a few weeks I'm really wanting for a good RTS. I've never been an RTS enthusiast so I don't know what triggered this.

Anyway, the RTS you recommend needs to have a story-based goal and can be either action packed or more mellow like Banished. Like I said, I've never been into RTS' so I'd appreciate any recommendation. I'm kinda finding myself in unknown territory, lustful. XP

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo