View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Revenge Sleep Procrastination
May 19, 2021, 21:11
Re: Revenge Sleep Procrastination May 19, 2021, 21:11
May 19, 2021, 21:11

jdreyer wrote on May 19, 2021, 17:16:
Yeah, and my sleep has been much better since I've been limiting my alcohol intake to once a week.
Exactly, alcohol is definitely a No-No if you want a good nights sleep.
Passing out ≠ Sound sleep
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

May 19, 2021, 19:21
Re: Revenge Sleep Procrastination May 19, 2021, 19:21
May 19, 2021, 19:21

jdreyer wrote on May 19, 2021, 17:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 19, 2021, 13:28:
jdreyer wrote on May 18, 2021, 22:41:
Quinn wrote on May 13, 2021, 13:03:
I soooo suffer this condition, who else?

Bedtime procrastination or revenge bedtime procrastination is a psychological phenomenon, where people stay up later than they desire in an attempt to have control over the night, because they perceive themselves (perhaps subconsciously) to lack influence over events during the day.

As a father and a partner to a spouse who demands healthy attention and cannot be ignored the moment the utensils hit the dinner plate with a sated *clang*, I find myself often ignoring my health and need for sleep so I can have my "me time" past midnight. This often results in a very tiny albeit noticeable mental breakdown every other month, where I then hit the hay around 10PM for two nights in a row to catch up...
I usually sleep about 6 hours a night, and often go to bed late so I can watch TV/game/etc. However the past few months, I've been forcing myself to go to bed earlier, as apparently getting less than 8 hours a night is detrimental to your future self. Also, apparently "catching up" isn't a thing that can overcome the negative effects.

I have been keeping strict 8 hours with strict time-to-bed and time-out-of-bed time for 3 months now, feel much better for it already.. and I am keeping to it religiously by now. And since 90 minute cycles are a thing, you need at least 5 of those... so yeah.
Yeah, and my sleep has been much better since I've been limiting my alcohol intake to once a week.

Much better for me is understatement, I was at a point 3 months ago where I could not sleep through a single night. Not a SINGLE NIGHT. And it took nearly an entire month of STRICT regimen to fix that but it was worth it. I actually get up in the mornings refreshed now... what an experience, I feel like I haven't had that since mid-school actually... still grumpy AF in the morning, but refreshed

No subject
May 19, 2021, 18:48
No subject May 19, 2021, 18:48
May 19, 2021, 18:48

jdreyer wrote on May 19, 2021, 17:18:
Quinn wrote on May 19, 2021, 14:49:
This is good advice. I have been pretty dark lately; stressed out like a mofo and overall not a fun guy to be around. I blame it on many things that I need to fix (I gained too much weight too quickly since the lockdowns, for example). I'm going bootcamping again like old times beginning next week, but I'll do my best to cut back on this RSP stuff too and get my 8 hours a night. Although... can it be 6 hours too? Or let meet in the middle and say 7 Hehe, 8 hours.. fucking hell, the last time I slept 8 hours feels like 18 years ago.
Six or less is not good. Seven is the bare minimum, but if that's what you can manage, it's better than six. Exercise will help, but not too close to bedtime. And melatonin might help too, about 30m before bed. Also, I try not to drink any water a couple hours before bed to prevent having to get up in the middle of the night.

Dr. Peter Attia (who I discovered through Sam Harris) did a great three part podcast on sleep with Dr. Matt Walker. Here's part 1. Dr. Attia's podcast, The Drive, is also on any podcatcher. Check it out to get the skinny.

That's amazing jdryer thanks for the advice. I'll check that podcast soon. I've been undervalueing a good night's rest for 35 years now. Time to get serious.

No subject
May 19, 2021, 17:18
No subject May 19, 2021, 17:18
May 19, 2021, 17:18

Quinn wrote on May 19, 2021, 14:49:
This is good advice. I have been pretty dark lately; stressed out like a mofo and overall not a fun guy to be around. I blame it on many things that I need to fix (I gained too much weight too quickly since the lockdowns, for example). I'm going bootcamping again like old times beginning next week, but I'll do my best to cut back on this RSP stuff too and get my 8 hours a night. Although... can it be 6 hours too? Or let meet in the middle and say 7 Hehe, 8 hours.. fucking hell, the last time I slept 8 hours feels like 18 years ago.
Six or less is not good. Seven is the bare minimum, but if that's what you can manage, it's better than six. Exercise will help, but not too close to bedtime. And melatonin might help too, about 30m before bed. Also, I try not to drink any water a couple hours before bed to prevent having to get up in the middle of the night.

Dr. Peter Attia (who I discovered through Sam Harris) did a great three part podcast on sleep with Dr. Matt Walker. Here's part 1. Dr. Attia's podcast, The Drive, is also on any podcatcher. Check it out to get the skinny.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

May 19, 2021, 17:16
Re: Revenge Sleep Procrastination May 19, 2021, 17:16
May 19, 2021, 17:16

eRe4s3r wrote on May 19, 2021, 13:28:

Bedtime procrastination or revenge bedtime procrastination is a psychological phenomenon, where people stay up later than they desire in an attempt to have control over the night, because they perceive themselves (perhaps subconsciously) to lack influence over events during the day.

As a father and a partner to a spouse who demands healthy attention and cannot be ignored the moment the utensils hit the dinner plate with a sated *clang*, I find myself often ignoring my health and need for sleep so I can have my "me time" past midnight. This often results in a very tiny albeit noticeable mental breakdown every other month, where I then hit the hay around 10PM for two nights in a row to catch up...
I usually sleep about 6 hours a night, and often go to bed late so I can watch TV/game/etc. However the past few months, I've been forcing myself to go to bed earlier, as apparently getting less than 8 hours a night is detrimental to your future self. Also, apparently "catching up" isn't a thing that can overcome the negative effects.

I have been keeping strict 8 hours with strict time-to-bed and time-out-of-bed time for 3 months now, feel much better for it already.. and I am keeping to it religiously by now. And since 90 minute cycles are a thing, you need at least 5 of those... so yeah.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

No subject
May 19, 2021, 14:49
No subject May 19, 2021, 14:49
May 19, 2021, 14:49

May 19, 2021, 13:28
Re: Revenge Sleep Procrastination May 19, 2021, 13:28
May 19, 2021, 13:28

May 18, 2021, 22:41
Re: Revenge Sleep Procrastination May 18, 2021, 22:41
May 18, 2021, 22:41

Revenge Sleep Procrastination
May 13, 2021, 13:03
Revenge Sleep Procrastination May 13, 2021, 13:03
May 13, 2021, 13:03

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older