PC Gaming Looking for new, inexpensive games.

View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Vermintide 2
Mar 1, 2021, 16:21
Vermintide 2 Mar 1, 2021, 16:21
Mar 1, 2021, 16:21

Thanks for that, Quinn. Never been on my radar, but when I just watched an IGN game review, they had me at "L4D2 style coop in medieval times".

Putting it on my wish list.
- "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

No subject
Mar 1, 2021, 11:18
No subject Mar 1, 2021, 11:18
Mar 1, 2021, 11:18

I cannot recommend Vermintide 2 enough. I've put 174 hours into that game, and during most of those hours I was already a father with very limited time to play games.

The game is just incredibly satisfying. It's the only game I play today just because of the gameplay. There's no achievement/progression need in the back of my head. Just incredibly fun gameplay where every single match has it's moments of intense adrenaline pumping shit going down.

Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games.
Jan 17, 2021, 18:53
Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Jan 17, 2021, 18:53
Jan 17, 2021, 18:53

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jan 17, 2021, 15:20:
All I play is single and coop nowadays, as I can't stand the trolls and cheaters in multiplayer. I have a group of friends I play with twice a week.

<snip>

Hope this helps.

Thanks Penguin! Yeah, I want to pick up DRG for our family coop group, but need to wait until the price comes down.

Thanks for the tip on Wreckfest, that sounds like a blast. We love games where we can do crazy stuff and laugh about it. Worms and Towerfall come to mind.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Jan 17, 2021, 15:20
Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Jan 17, 2021, 15:20
Jan 17, 2021, 15:20

All I play is single and coop nowadays, as I can't stand the trolls and cheaters in multiplayer. I have a group of friends I play with twice a week.

Lately we're playing GTA5 (missions and racing, which can be friend invite only), and there are also simple ways to glitch yourself into a public game by yourself, and then invite friends only (literally takes 7 seconds for me glitch a game using the resource monitor in Task Manager - just Google it, and make sure your NAT is strict so strangers don't rejoin. This in no way affects normal gameplay on a public server if you leave it on strict, despite the game's warnings). I haven't really gotten into the single player game, but most of my friends have completed it.

Deep Rock Galactic is a really fun coop FPS/role playing game, and my passion lately. Unlike many games, sessions with randos are a pleasure. I have yet to come across a toxic player. The game is fully playable without enabling in game voip, if you don't want to talk to people. The game has ways of signaling callouts on your hud without needing to talk.

If you're into racing and/or demolition derby, Wreckfest is a lot of fun, and we play it every week with 4-6 players, and bot cars mixed in. The physics are very good. There's also an excellent 'Very Track Pack' addon in the Steam community mods you can subscribe to that adds several dozen new tracks.

If you haven't tried them yet, there are literally hundreds of custom campaigns for L4D2 that we've played (several times now) that have greatly extended the life of the game. All available from either 3rd party mod sites, or on Steam community.

World War Z is pretty close to what L4D3 would be. Lot's of elements of L4D2 in there. Anyone who's a L4D2 player will be able to jump right in. My L4D2 crowd played it for a while when we got bored of L4D2. The hoard waves are incredible.

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Zombies coop is absolutely the most fun I've ever had playing COD zombies. In particular the last two maps are very fun and replayable. We played that a long time together before getting bored. Jumping around in exoskeletons is blast.

Killing Floor 2 is my play every figgin' day coop game. I have 2000+ hours in it according to Steam. Fun with friends or random peeps. Great and under appreciated zombie game, with TF2 type classes and half the fun is ranking your classes up. You buy weapons between rounds like in CS:GO. I won't say you won't run into an occasional toxic player, but since there's no teammate damage, the worst he can do is be uncooperative, and you can mute him or vote to kick. Also another game that really doesn't require ingame VoIP to be turned on if you don't want it. I love the variety of weapons, and their physics. There are also lots of good custom maps, and modded servers. I host a KF2 server with custom maps, and half of them are low gravity maps which is a lot of fun. For a change of pace, Tamari servers run a mod that fixes some minor annoyances in the game, like a better HUD, better voting, a flash light battery that doesn't need to be recharged, you drop all your weapons instead of just the equipped one when you die, and a tracker to find your dropped weapons between rounds if you get killed, with additional difficulty to offset the other mods.

For single player FPS. I finally played Prey all the way through (think Bioshock in space) and I loved the immersive story. I loved Metro 2033 Redux and it's sequel, Last light Redux. I have Metro Exodus, but haven't really gotten immersed in it yet and put it aside for a while. It looks good, but like some books, it sometimes takes me a while to get involved with a game. I just started Control, and I like it so far. Looks stunning on a 3080.

For a more Zen like experience, I spent a LOT of time with Astroneer last year, and Mudrunner had me for a while.

Right now I am obsessed with Hardspace: Shipbreaker. Been playing it for three days for five hour stretches. Definitely a time sink. Still in early release, but a very functional game and quite playable. The physics are very well done. They even model every component to fracture if you inadvertently cut it or there's an explosion.

Here's a video I posted yesterday, hoping to show someone how the game worked, and I accidently let the cutting sparks hit a volatile cannister. Mayhem ensues. I survived with enough health to survey the damage. The resulting debris field was amazing, and each piece can still be manipulated and recycled, although worth less than the intact components. It was not a good shift:)

https://youtu.be/MKDCTO2NHVM

Hope this helps.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2021, 15:37.
- "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

removed
Dec 24, 2020, 02:27
removed Dec 24, 2020, 02:27
Dec 24, 2020, 02:27

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Dec 24, 2020, 02:41. Reason: Spam (rule 5)

Dec 2, 2020, 17:28
Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Dec 2, 2020, 17:28
Dec 2, 2020, 17:28

Greentiger wrote on Nov 13, 2020, 06:40:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 9, 2020, 13:05:
There is an extremely fun game currently in early access on Steam called Teardown. Easily, that $20 in value is there. Not sure if there are plans to bring multiplayer to it but it's a fun puzzle/sandbox/frustration-mellower kind of game.

That actually does look relaxing. Right now my friends and I are kinda into golf with your friends. Fun little mini golf game to f*** away an evening.

I'm looking forward to Shipbreakers once it exits EA.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Nov 20, 2020, 06:41
Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Nov 20, 2020, 06:41
Nov 20, 2020, 06:41

afka Rossini wrote on Nov 18, 2020, 13:13:
For $10 Terraria was a lot more fun than I expected. You can play solo or coop. It's also pretty deep in terms of content.

Borderlands 2 if you've not played it is fun and has 4 player coop.

We recently played through BL1 again, I couldnt maintain interest in BL2. Im not really sure why though? I guess it just felt kind of generic? Thats not really a good way to describe it.

Ive often wondered about Terraria and Starbound. Theyre both on sale right now, I like minecraft more for the building aspect, how would you say Terraria compares? Ive seen some pretty nice builds on youtube. Very elaborate bases and structures. Anyone able to compare how Terraria and Starbound feel (aside from the sci fi vs more fantasy)?

Also C&C Remastered went on sale and I ended picking that up too. Also picked up the remaining DLC for Dungeons 3 when that was on sale as well as Mini Golf Maker. The course editor was really intuitive and I was able to get to making a course in minutes. Much more intuitive than the other 2 golf games I have.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Nov 18, 2020, 13:13
Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Nov 18, 2020, 13:13
Nov 18, 2020, 13:13

For $10 Terraria was a lot more fun than I expected. You can play solo or coop. It's also pretty deep in terms of content.

Borderlands 2 if you've not played it is fun and has 4 player coop.

Nov 13, 2020, 06:40
Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Nov 13, 2020, 06:40
Nov 13, 2020, 06:40

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 9, 2020, 13:05:
There is an extremely fun game currently in early access on Steam called Teardown. Easily, that $20 in value is there. Not sure if there are plans to bring multiplayer to it but it's a fun puzzle/sandbox/frustration-mellower kind of game.

That actually does look relaxing. Right now my friends and I are kinda into golf with your friends. Fun little mini golf game to f*** away an evening.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Nov 9, 2020, 13:05
Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Nov 9, 2020, 13:05
Nov 9, 2020, 13:05

Nov 9, 2020, 00:55
Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Nov 9, 2020, 00:55
Nov 9, 2020, 00:55

Ant wrote on Nov 8, 2020, 21:48:
Look at for free games from Steam, Epic(every Thursday), HumbleBundle etc.

Thanks! Yeah, I already do that--I was just hoping that people had specific titles to suggest to play along the lines of the titles I had already mentioned. Sorry if that wasn't very clear.

Nov 8, 2020, 21:48
Ant

Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Nov 8, 2020, 21:48
Nov 8, 2020, 21:48
 Ant

Greentiger wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 18:17:
I'm looking for new games to play, solo and with friends.
Currently we sometimes play quake champions, left 4 dead 2, star craft 2, golf with friends. In single player Ive been playing Dungeons3 almost exclusively.
Any suggestions along these lines?
Do any of these games come with map editors?
Look at for free games from Steam, Epic(every Thursday), HumbleBundle etc.

Looking for new, inexpensive games.
Nov 7, 2020, 18:17
Looking for new, inexpensive games. Nov 7, 2020, 18:17
Nov 7, 2020, 18:17

I'm looking for new games to play, solo and with friends.
Currently we sometimes play quake champions, left 4 dead 2, star craft 2, golf with friends. In single player Ive been playing Dungeons3 almost exclusively.
Any suggestions along these lines?
Do any of these games come with map editors?
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older