General Discussion Anyone want to discuss Tenet? ( WARNING: Spoilers!)

View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

No subject
Feb 23, 2021, 23:38
No subject Feb 23, 2021, 23:38
Feb 23, 2021, 23:38

Not sure of the scene you're discussing. They weren't in body armor right? Because we can safely assume whenever they're in body armor, they have oxygen (thus the fight scene in the airport).

Seriously, I do intend to carefully look for oxygen mistakes on my rewatch because I do think you're right.
- "The same idiots whining about cancel culture are the people who tried to cancel pretty much every video game, book genre, and RPG when I was a kid." - James S. A. Corey

No subject
Feb 23, 2021, 19:33
No subject Feb 23, 2021, 19:33
Feb 23, 2021, 19:33

Do you agree Pattinson should need oxygen while he is in the same time frame as Washington? Or am I overlooking something?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

No subject
Feb 23, 2021, 12:56
No subject Feb 23, 2021, 12:56
Feb 23, 2021, 12:56

And, as I said initially, this, puzzles me because he intended to die the day that the algorithm was buried. He had the cyanide pill, which he supposedly got from a CIA agent, and his intention was to kill himself. His wife was supposed to delay him from doing it long enough to buy time for the agents to steal the algorithm.

But did he die in the original time line? Or does that timeline now only exist because he collected all the parts of the algorithm in the future and went back to bury the bomb?

Yeah, I want to tie Nolan to a chair and make him explain to me exactly WTH is going on in that movie

- "The same idiots whining about cancel culture are the people who tried to cancel pretty much every video game, book genre, and RPG when I was a kid." - James S. A. Corey

No subject
Feb 23, 2021, 12:32
No subject Feb 23, 2021, 12:32
Feb 23, 2021, 12:32

The Flying Penguin wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 12:16:
I am confused about the ending. I thought there was a trigger on the algorithm that was radio linked to the antagonist's heart beat, and that if he dies, the algorithm would be triggered, destroying the past? Very confusing. Must watch some explainers on that before rewatching the movie.
Yeah, I suspect this is an inconsistency goof. I think the idea was supposed to be if he died the bomb would go off, burying the algorithm. Unfortunately, that doesn't match up with what else is going on in the film. Although, that is all happening in our past... right? They invert for multiple days to get there. So... yeah, not at all clear. I'd like to hear someone involved in the production address it.

No subject
Feb 23, 2021, 12:16
No subject Feb 23, 2021, 12:16
Feb 23, 2021, 12:16

I seem to recall inconsistencies with their use of oxygen as well, and I'm going to watch for that on my second viewing. I assume that whenever they're wearing full body armor and travelling in reverse, they have an oxygen supply under the helmet.

I feel the whole oxygen thing was just a gimmick to create tension and add an element of danger to traveling in reverse, and it wasn't really necessary other than that. Realistically they would also have to carry a LOT more oxygen. Granted they don't need compressed air as time reversed nitrogen would be just as inert as normal nitrogen, but that little bit of oxygen would not last long. Having had a friend on oxygen, who had to use the highest 5L/min setting, I can tell you even a good size portable tank wouldn't last long. For Tenet I think they would be using an even higher flow rate as it would not be supplemental. Then again, I sort of assumed he might be carrying a time reverser that was taking the air around him and reversing it. It really wasn't explained.

I am confused about the ending. I thought there was a trigger on the algorithm that was radio linked to the antagonist's heart beat, and that if he dies, the algorithm would be triggered, destroying the past? Very confusing. Must watch some explainers on that before rewatching the movie.

No subject
Feb 23, 2021, 11:55
No subject Feb 23, 2021, 11:55
Feb 23, 2021, 11:55

I'll repeat my comment which kind of triggered this topic.

Am I totally missing something or were they incredibly inconsistent and sloppy about people having to "bring your own oxygen" when inverted? I mean Pattinson is traveling backward in comparison to Washington, right? So, wouldn't that mean any time he is with Washington he would have to be inverted? Even if you ignore that, it seemed like they would use and not use oxygen randomly when we were supposed to know they were inverted. It just all seemed terribly sloppy to me. Also, is Pattinson the only person we see which is traveling backwards through time?

Re: Anyone want to discuss Tenet? ( WARNING: Spoilers!)
Feb 23, 2021, 11:53
Re: Anyone want to discuss Tenet? ( WARNING: Spoilers!) Feb 23, 2021, 11:53
Feb 23, 2021, 11:53

The Flying Penguin wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 11:34:
In particular, what confuses me, is the death of the antagonist at the end of the movie, which in the timeline took place before many of the events in the rest of the movie. Yes killing him changed the future (the classic grandfather's paradox and that's not fully explained in the movie) but my issue isn't with the fact that his wife went back and killed him. It's that, if I understand correctly, if she had not gone back and killed him, he was going to kill himself anyway in order to trigger the 'algorithm'. But if that was the original timeline, then how did everything else happen earlier in the movie, which took place later in the timeline? That's the crux of my problem with the movie. It makes no sense.
As I understood it, the issue was getting the "algorithm" into the hands of the people traveling backward (in comparison to us) in time. With the algorithm in hand they would gain some kind of power to dominate (in some way not clear to me) the time streams. The way the Sator (the antagonist) is going to accomplish this is by burying it, which would allow the backward traveling force to recover it in Sator's (our) past. This is prevented when they successfully prevent the algorithm from being buried.

Anyone want to discuss Tenet? ( WARNING: Spoilers!)
Feb 23, 2021, 11:34
Anyone want to discuss Tenet? ( WARNING: Spoilers!) Feb 23, 2021, 11:34
Feb 23, 2021, 11:34

As mentioned in one of the news posts, Tenet had a promising concept, that was difficult to follow, and I believe ultimately Christopher Nolan failed, but I admit I might feel different after I recently watched some YouTube videos that explain the timeline, and l'm getting ready to rewatch the movie to see if that helps me like it better. I feel I was working too hard to understand it on the first watch.

It kills me because I loved Interstellar (eventually), but I think there were mistakes in that movie as well that made it hard to follow on a first viewing. It still has it's flaws, but I'm willing to forgive them now. Not sure I can do that with Tenet.

In particular, what confuses me, is the death of the antagonist at the end of the movie, which in the timeline took place before many of the events in the rest of the movie. Yes killing him changed the future (the classic grandfather's paradox and that's not fully explained in the movie) but my issue isn't with the fact that his wife went back and killed him. It's that, if I understand correctly, if she had not gone back and killed him, he was going to kill himself anyway in order to trigger the 'algorithm'. But if that was the original timeline, then how did everything else happen earlier in the movie, which took place later in the timeline? That's the crux of my problem with the movie. It makes no sense.

The movie in many ways reminds me of Primer, which had an excellent plot, and a similar time reversal idea (I wonder if it influenced Nolan?). The only problem with Primer is that it was filmed with a $7000 budget (yes 7k), and it shows. At times it's a little hard to follow because of the college level production values, single takes, and sometimes poor audio, but it's still a great hard science time travel movie. I was rather hoping Tenet would be Primer with a budget.

Also reminded of Coherence, another low budget movie ($50k) that was much more effective at getting it's convoluted ideas across, than Tenet.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older