Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
General Discussion > Status of responsive conversion

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Bug with view tag in links to posts Mar 3, 2020, 03:29  Frans 

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2020, 01:50:
Is there a particular reason the link to the post number has (example my own post)...
The reason is this, but what you describe is indeed an undesirable side-effect. I'll have to think about how to address this.

Edit: I've reverted the change for the time being.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2020, 05:25.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Bug with view tag in links to posts Mar 3, 2020, 01:50 eRe4s3r

Is there a particular reason the link to the post number has (example my own post)

URL Too Long

view=flat

included, when my setting is view=threads ?

but clicking on my own post number after that, same link, has view=threads, and only on the 2nd click does it mark that as a "read" URL ?

but link to the topic via the POST suject is view=threads?
URL Too Long again

This is.. kinda annoying <3 also the change to the URL means that if you click on a post and read it, firefox no longer sees the post number as something linked to the topic and marks it as unread...

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2020, 02:05.

10. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 27, 2020, 07:52  Nimh 

Frans wrote on Feb 27, 2020, 07:41:
Nimh wrote on Feb 26, 2020, 08:35:
Great work Frans, good update. A couple items maybe for the future.
Thanks.

"Yes, but hide tier" does not seem to work under Site Settings. EDIT:
It works but.. show tier will display as silver, hide tier changes it to bronze.

Hide tier use the generic Patreon color (with a red hue, #E85B46), bronze has a brown hue (#A46628). Silver is #C0C0C0 and gold #D4AF37. Now you should feel enlightened.

Would it be possible to add the "support the site" banner to "keep ads" no display setting? (i.e. hide it)
The Keep Ads setting is related to the future ad-free layout and has not yet been implemented. Once that's done, the entire third column with ads (in desktop layout) will be removed for Supporters, unless Keep Ads is set to yes. Does that answer your question?

Is it also possible to add the thread view setting to one's account? (The threaded, flat newest first, flat oldest first option)
Yes, technically that's possible.
Oh? What...? You want me to... implement it? That's... shocking.

Haha. Yeah, it can be a down the road feature, 2 weeks if needed.

9. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 27, 2020, 07:41  Frans 

Thanks.

It works but.. show tier will display as silver, hide tier changes it to bronze.

Hide tier use the generic Patreon color (with a red hue, #E85B46), bronze has a brown hue (#A46628). Silver is #C0C0C0 and gold #D4AF37. Now you should feel enlightened.

Would it be possible to add the "support the site" banner to "keep ads" no display setting? (i.e. hide it)
The Keep Ads setting is related to the future ad-free layout and has not yet been implemented. Once that's done, the entire third column with ads (in desktop layout) will be removed for Supporters, unless Keep Ads is set to yes. Does that answer your question?

Is it also possible to add the thread view setting to one's account? (The threaded, flat newest first, flat oldest first option)
Yes, technically that's possible.
Oh? What...? You want me to... implement it? That's... shocking.

-- Frans

8. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 26, 2020, 08:35  Nimh 

7. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 24, 2020, 13:52  Frans 

Frans wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 17:32:
Besides the layout, one important functional change has already been implemented on the dev server: the post/quote/edit/report forms no longer contain a login section and the bearkey-pw cookie is retired. Instead, users need to be logged into their regular account (via User Settings) with the auto-login cookie. If they aren't, those forms will redirect to the login form, and after logging in the user menu provides a link to return to the topic they intended to post to.

This avoids login confusion and some forum features (like the list of Ignored users) not working when one hasn't checked the "Remember Me" box at posting a comment. All that stuff was inherited when the Chatbear forum code was integrated into the site way back near the start of the century but it never made actual sense to have two different account mechanisms. So that will finally be a thing of the past after the next deployment.
Along with the supporter badges, the above changes have also been deployed. Please let me know if you encounter issues with this (and then describe exactly what kind).

And the User admin menu entry "Modify Message Board Settings" was renamed to "Modify Forums & Site Settings" because of the new supporter options.

-- Frans

6. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 13, 2020, 09:30  Nimh 

I can log in, but it's not applying the block list for me. Also under the User Admin page, when I click "Manage Ignored Users" it pauses for several seconds and then reloads the User Admin page.

Edit: If I post a comment and select "remember me" the block list is accessible and operates properly. (re-read your the original post.. in-process)

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2020, 09:54.

5. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 13, 2020, 04:42  Frans 

Nimh wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 20:11:
Excellent! Thanks. I always thought that was a topic header and not a link. Works perfectly.
Good point, the absence of the colon (like in "Styles:") was insufficient to distinguish it from a header. I've inverted the underline hover functionality so it's more clear now that it's a link.

-- Frans

4. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 12, 2020, 20:11  Nimh 

Excellent! Thanks. I always thought that was a topic header and not a link. Works perfectly.  

3. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 12, 2020, 16:10  Frans 

Nimh wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 15:36:
Is the only way to the User Settings page via. Account Options button in a comment section? (Would be nice to log on before viewing comments if possible.)
The User Settings are best logged into upfront indeed, from the Customize section at the end of the left menu column.

-- Frans

2. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 12, 2020, 15:36  Nimh 

Is the only way to the User Settings page via. Account Options button in a comment section? (Would be nice to log on before viewing comments if possible.)  

1. Status of responsive conversion Feb 11, 2020, 17:32  Frans 

Last November we deployed the responsive layout on about half the site, with the promise that the other half -- all of the forums -- would follow, though not necessarily soon. So I'd like to provide a status update now.

Turns out after the two busy months leading up to the release and two updates, I needed a break (and Kxmode probably too). Then a real-life, outdoors project took up much of my spare time, and here we suddenly are in February.

But we recently commenced the forums conversion, and depending on Kxmode's and my available time, it shouldn't take many months more. Weeks, hopefully, but no promises.

Besides the layout, one important functional change has already been implemented on the dev server: the post/quote/edit/report forms no longer contain a login section and the bearkey-pw cookie is retired. Instead, users need to be logged into their regular account (via User Settings) with the auto-login cookie. If they aren't, those forms will redirect to the login form, and after logging in the user menu provides a link to return to the topic they intended to post to.

This avoids login confusion and some forum features (like the list of Ignored users) not working when one hasn't checked the "Remember Me" box at posting a comment. All that stuff was inherited when the Chatbear forum code was integrated into the site way back near the start of the century but it never made actual sense to have two different account mechanisms. So that will finally be a thing of the past after the next deployment.

-- Frans

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >