Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
General Discussion > Feedback on responsive layout

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

66. No subject Nov 20, 2019, 18:02 animal

Uh. I didn't even notice. I'm getting old.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. No subject Nov 15, 2019, 18:14  Frans 

Rhialto wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 13:20:
Anything new in the last few days?
<checks General Discussion forum...> Hmm, not yet.

-- Frans

64. No subject Nov 15, 2019, 13:20 Rhialto

Anything new in the last few days?  

63. No subject Nov 9, 2019, 02:55 Kxmode

Staunch wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 14:21:
I noticed Zil in OotB had an issue with not being able to zoom in on mobile. That should be fixable by removing the maximum-scale part of the viewport meta tag. It looks like that tag is added by JS in bluesnews.js by the viewPortShuffle function.

For more info on why using maximum-scale can be bad: https://a11yproject.com/posts/never-use-maximum-scale/

Staunch, for now, we need it because the site isn't 100% responsive. Any of the elements that are not responsive can create a horizontal UX. That can persist throughout the website. The max-scale viewport is a way to reset this side-scrolling side effect after page load. Once the site is fully responsive (including all the ads), we can remove it. For now, treat it like scaffolding or a brace. If you can be patient with us in the meantime, we'd appreciate it.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

62. No subject Nov 9, 2019, 02:31 Kxmode

Rhialto wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 23:18:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 15:08:
Frans wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 03:53:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 02:13:
Rhialto wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:11:
On PC it's true that the menu on the left can be larger than before depending on resolution but it's not an annoyance to me. What's ugly though is the "Compacti" font used for sections like STORIES OF NOTE, POPULAR THREADS, etc. Should be a quick fix to change that bitmap font for a scalable one.
That was chosen as the closest webfont I could find that looked like the image headlines. Does anyone have another font in mind?
Uhh, see post 24.

Allthumbsup works for me.
Does it mean you'll change the font?

No, that means the suggestion gets two thumbs up from me.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

61. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 23:18 Rhialto

Kxmode wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 15:08:
On PC it's true that the menu on the left can be larger than before depending on resolution but it's not an annoyance to me. What's ugly though is the "Compacti" font used for sections like STORIES OF NOTE, POPULAR THREADS, etc. Should be a quick fix to change that bitmap font for a scalable one.
That was chosen as the closest webfont I could find that looked like the image headlines. Does anyone have another font in mind?
Uhh, see post 24.

Does it mean you'll change the font?

60. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 22:16 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 03:26:
See many of you expressing concerns about the font size. Is the zoom in your browser set to something other than 100%?

120%, 100% is way too small on 2560x1440

On tablet however the site works just fine

59. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 21:18 Kxmode

dimsum98 wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 21:16:
Is there an option to have the old style layout which is much smaller fonts for the desktop?

No. You can use ctrl + scroll-wheel to make the fonts smaller.

58. Re: Feedback on responsive layout Nov 8, 2019, 21:16 dimsum98

Is there an option to have the old style layout which is much smaller fonts for the desktop? I never liked the mobile layout which is why I do majority of browsing on desktop browsers. Like the new Youtube large thumbnails. It is just awful.  

57. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 15:08 Kxmode

Uhh, see post 24.

56. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 08:08  Frans 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 07:38:
When I hover my mouse over either the "Preview Comment" or "Post Comment" button, the button turns dark blue with black text. If this is intentional, cool, I'll stop reporting it as a bug but the old site did not do that.
Saw the previous report, but have no idea what's causing that. It certainly wasn't an intentional change, and isn't reproducible here. Perhaps Kxmode has an idea?

If you know how to use the dev tools (F12 in Firefox and Chrome), perhaps you can figure out which CSS change(s) on the button occur when hovering?

-- Frans

55. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 07:38 Burrito of Peace

So all of my previous gripes were fixed but one:

When I hover my mouse over either the "Preview Comment" or "Post Comment" button, the button turns dark blue with black text. If this is intentional, cool, I'll stop reporting it as a bug but the old site did not do that.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

54. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 03:53  Frans 

Uhh, see post 24.

-- Frans

53. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 03:26 Kxmode

See many of you expressing concerns about the font size. Is the zoom in your browser set to something other than 100%?  

52. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 02:13 Kxmode

51. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 01:17 Sepharo

Oh hell yeah!
Just discovered that I can "request desktop site" and I still get the new reactive design but it takes up the whole width with no side blank..
And best of all I can zoom in and out again!

Back in business baby
https://i.imgur.com/mKwiqRL.png

50. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 01:06 Sepharo

If I keep switching my phone between vertical and horizontal the area the site occupies gets smaller and smaller.

https://i.imgur.com/0kfly1c.png

Galaxy S6, Android 7, latest chrome

49. No subject Nov 7, 2019, 20:27 Ghostface Killah

Loving the effort to make the site mobile friendly. With today’s posts there was an embedded video that stretched beyond the mobile screen and introduced a horizontal scroll. The embeds need to be resized for mobile as well. Hope this helps!  

48. Re: Feedback on responsive layout Nov 7, 2019, 15:55 mirthy

Refreshing. Hey mobile friendly!  

47. Re: Front page zoom on Android. Nov 7, 2019, 15:21 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 13:50:
On my galaxy S10, the front page doesn't wrap if I zoom in. So while the whole page fits on the default view, it's too small for me to read, and if I zoom in, it makes me scroll from side to side.

Not a huge deal, I don't read it from my cell that often, but figured I'd mention it.

Frans could you add a task for me to Trello to create a simple Javascript text-resizing button?

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >