Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

General Discussion > Responsive layout

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. No subject Oct 16, 2019, 03:28  Frans 

Frans wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 05:05:
The initial roll-out will therefore exclude the forums (they'll keep the old skin).
Correction, the forums will have a mix of skins: new overall layout, but old-style (table-based rather than div) body content. That conversion will take more time because there are so many views and forms.

Ant wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 21:53:
Keep the old fast old school design please though. I still check BN with a text web browser once in a while like Lynx.
No worries, it renders fine in w3m and Lynx.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Rad. Oct 15, 2019, 21:00 jdreyer

Ant wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 21:53:
Keep the old fast old school design please though. I still check BN with a text web browser once in a while like Lynx.
Hmm, that sounds like a test case.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Rad. Oct 13, 2019, 21:53 Ant

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

16. No subject Oct 11, 2019, 19:49 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:51:
Okay, so what pages are included in the initial rollout?
- homepage
- post page
- post page with comments
- post comment page
- edit comment page
- all of the User Admin pages?
- Resources pages?
- Department pages?
- Site Contact pages?

Better also be the customize thing down the bottom, because I have to hit "New Blue" every blue moon because it resets itself and strands me with no css selected.

15. No subject Oct 11, 2019, 16:51 jdreyer

Okay, so what pages are included in the initial rollout?
- homepage
- post page
- post page with comments
- post comment page
- edit comment page
- all of the User Admin pages?
- Resources pages?
- Department pages?
- Site Contact pages?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

14. No subject Oct 11, 2019, 05:05  Frans 

Rhialto wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 13:13:
How come there is that video I just saw that was posted in March 2018 and we never heard of it before now reading today's Ouf of the Blue? And why it wasn't implemented like a few weeks after this video was posted which show it's almost completed/finished and is looking so good?
In addition to Blue's remarks, actual implementation work only began a year later, this March, and was interrupted multiple times for weeks/months on end by Real Life™. The initial roll-out will therefore exclude the forums (they'll keep the old skin).

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 16:14:
How are you guys tracking user stories and bugs?
Until recently, e-mail, and now also a private Trello board. Which, before you ask, will stay private.

-- Frans

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 04:58 Fantaz

I don't log in often to post, and just had to chime in about how nice it would be for the mobile version of Blues to finally come around  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2019, 16:17  Blue 

Rhialto wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 13:13:
Holy crap! That is just awesome! How come there is that video I just saw that was posted in March 2018 and we never heard of it before now reading today's Ouf of the Blue? And why it wasn't implemented like a few weeks after this video was posted which show it's almost completed/finished and is looking so good?

Because the video was created as a proof-of-concept with no access to the site's actual code, and getting things rolling and implementation have taken some time. There's more to it than you might expect.

Congrats on what's coming, I like how it looks up to date but while at the same time kind of old look.

Thanks. That's pretty much what the goal was. To have our cake and eat it too, so to speak.

Gives us a second URL for testing before going live, I'll have a look on both PC and mobile.

As I mentioned, we will probably ask a couple of you to participate in a tiny beta, but it probably won't be very widespread or for very long. So don't be disappointed if you aren't part of the test, this will probably go live pretty quickly after then.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

11. Work tracking system Oct 10, 2019, 16:14 jdreyer

How are you guys tracking user stories and bugs?  

10. No subject Oct 10, 2019, 13:32 Bodolza

Looks pretty good, except a) The hamburger button is enabled way too soon. Looks like it gets enabled around 4x3, which is a closer to a standard monitor dimension than phone dimensions. b) The day separator is excessively tall. The dimensions of the current day separator are fine.  

9. No subject Oct 10, 2019, 13:13 Rhialto

Holy crap! That is just awesome! How come there is that video I just saw that was posted in March 2018 and we never heard of it before now reading today's Ouf of the Blue? And why it wasn't implemented like a few weeks after this video was posted which show it's almost completed/finished and is looking so good?

Congrats on what's coming, I like how it looks up to date but while at the same time kind of old look.

Gives us a second URL for testing before going live, I'll have a look on both PC and mobile.

8. Re: Responsive layout Oct 9, 2019, 23:43 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:02:
Wow.

I kind of feared losing the simplicity of the site, but since about 50% of my browsing is on mobile, having to zoom every time can be frustrating.

This seems like it will solve that perfectly. This site, and reddit, are the only ones I need to position the screen to properly read. Reddit has a mobile site, but it's garish and frustrating compared to the desktop, so I prefer having to move the stupid screen around. This is a much more elegant solution. At least for us old'ns here.

The Pyro wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 12:05:
Beamer's sentiments echo my own exactly. I'll always prefer using a desktop when one's available, but congratulations on creating a mobile proof-of-concept that I don't immediately hate!

Frans and I are working hard (probably Frans more than me) to ensure we maintain the look (UI) and experience (UX) of the desktop site as much as possible, so you get the best possible experience on your phone, tablet, and desktop. We want the experience to be seamless between them.

I am also using my Browserstack account in addition to my Blisk account to review the responsive layout to ensure things hold up well.

We are using the Pareto principle to guide us. In this particular case 20% of browsers is used by 80% of users, generally speaking.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: Responsive layout Oct 9, 2019, 16:53 jdreyer

The Pyro wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 12:05:
Beamer's sentiments echo my own exactly. I'll always prefer using a desktop when one's available, but congratulations on creating a mobile proof-of-concept that I don't immediately hate!
Me, too. However, Blues is blocked at work.

6. I like it Oct 9, 2019, 15:12 Creston

Looks very nice! I mostly browse from PC, but the few times I'm on mobile it's always been a PITA.

Thumbs up!

5. Re: Responsive layout Oct 9, 2019, 12:05 The Pyro

4. Responsive Layout Oct 9, 2019, 11:30 jdreyer

I'm a software test engineer/developer by trade. I might still have access to my old Browserstack account, but if not, am willing to test in what browsers/mobile devices I have laying around, which is several.

I guess I can start working on a full site regression suite...

3. No subject Oct 9, 2019, 11:22 RedEye9

I can volunteer test on a Motorola Moto E5 Supra 6 inch 720 x 1440 running Android OS v8.0 (Oreo)
And the latest Kindle Fire HDX 10 running a modded version of Android 5 (it's a little long in the tooth but gets the job done).
Both have multiple browsers installed.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

2. Re: Responsive layout Oct 9, 2019, 11:02 Beamer

Wow.

I kind of feared losing the simplicity of the site, but since about 50% of my browsing is on mobile, having to zoom every time can be frustrating.

This seems like it will solve that perfectly. This site, and reddit, are the only ones I need to position the screen to properly read. Reddit has a mobile site, but it's garish and frustrating compared to the desktop, so I prefer having to move the stupid screen around. This is a much more elegant solution. At least for us old'ns here.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Responsive layout Oct 9, 2019, 03:47  Frans 

You have asked us about it for a long time, and now we have finally progressed far enough that we can start lifting the veil of a modernized layout.

Discuss. Coffee

-- Frans

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo