German Counter-Strike LAN Ban

A story from a few days ago on GotFrag eSports indicates that anti-gaming backlash in Germany is continuing, as they report the German government has prohibited playing Counter-Strike at public LAN events. According to the story, this has resulted in the cancellation of multiple ESL Friday Night games, and the Convention-X-Treme tournament, and a translation of the German-language Convention-X-Treme Website discusses how this decision came down, and their efforts at meeting with the powers-that-be to discuss the situation. Thanks Ant and Planet Half-Life.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban
Jul 9, 2009, 08:15
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 9, 2009, 08:15
Jul 9, 2009, 08:15

Nothing goes on, the news is wrong (as usual)

Lan parties are still allowed (and don't need any kind of ok from local gov)
CS is still allowed to be played (if you make 18+ and passport control mandatory!)

The only thing that goes on is election time. And it needs to repeated apparantly - the local state gov is independent from the german gov as a whole.

To clarify - CXT hosts their lan in a public owned location where local gov can decide what flies. They got canned for political reasons. What they don't tell you, is that no sane LAN event hosts their stuff in a public owned location (anymore), there are many better ones that are corporate or privately owned and are not bogged down by political bullshitting.

Bottom Line

Germany did not ban LAN's nor Counterstrike - All hail the mighty FUD NEWS

Jul 9, 2009, 01:48
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 9, 2009, 01:48
Jul 9, 2009, 01:48

Politicians blame all the gun crime at schools on violent games,
then why dont the politicians just simply put a ban on all guns
and is illegal to own any kind of gun or knives?

I think this is a more direct and simple solution than banning
games, its cos they want kids to play outside and play nice all the
time. Thing is why dont they analise the do gooders? As they will
find that they are the ones who are more out of step with reality
than the kids.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2009, 02:25.

Jul 8, 2009, 21:08
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 21:08
Jul 8, 2009, 21:08

They can ban everything they want as much as they want and it will solve nothing.
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

Jul 8, 2009, 17:27
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 17:27
Jul 8, 2009, 17:27

Germany sounds like heaven for Jack Thompson.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Jul 8, 2009, 17:22
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 17:22
Jul 8, 2009, 17:22

I thought homosexuality was legal in Germany. This is TOO GAY!!

Jul 8, 2009, 15:28
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 15:28
Jul 8, 2009, 15:28

I put nWo into wikipedia and I got pro wrestling. Did I do something wrong?

Hulk Hogan is VERY relevant to politics.

Jul 8, 2009, 15:03
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 15:03
Jul 8, 2009, 15:03

I put nWo into wikipedia and I got pro wrestling. Did I do something wrong?

Jul 8, 2009, 14:23
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 14:23
Jul 8, 2009, 14:23

What the hell is going on in the world?

You are right that it is more of a global phenomena. I highly recommend that you all learn up on the "New World Order" and the 'Bilderburg Group' to understand why it is that statism and oppression of populations around the world is in the rise. This includes western nations which were formerly much more free.

I'll try to put it in simpler terms. The monopolized monetary systems in place all around the world are corporate/government partnerships have come to greatly corrupt the political environments. There has been for some time, a global monetary elite which rules much of the world from behind the scenes, especially the western world. These bankers do not value freedom. They value power and control to perpetuate their greed for more and placate their fear of losing it.

This is why the US Congress can can pass laws that they haven't even read like Cap & Trade and the PATRIOT Act. They are ordered to do it. Threats come from the those who control the money (the US Federal Reserve, a bank) that if they don't get bailouts, civil war and worldwide depression will ensue. Those who control the money also work to assure their laws are passed.

The politicians are not the cause, but they are cooperating with the money powers. How does what I say here relate to this story? It is because the political systems have become more distanced from public interest, and more on their own self-serving dogmas and ideology's. "Yes we will save you all! Surrender your freedoms for security!"

Ego's love having enemies. Governments represent our collective egos. The thinking goes like this: "The more I differentiate myself from my enemies, the more I know who I am."
Perpetual debt is slavery.

Jul 8, 2009, 14:13
Prez

Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 14:13
Jul 8, 2009, 14:13
 Prez

It's no longer considered important to take a wise, long term, arms-length view based on strong principles and sound governance. Once up on a time most politicians at least intended on being high-minded and willing to do the right thing. Now they seem to merely want to have "an answer", fly up the ranks and cling onto enough power to get lucrative directorships after they're put out.

That certainly describes American politics to a tee. I guess it's a global phenomenon.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 8, 2009, 13:56
DG
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 13:56
Jul 8, 2009, 13:56
DG

Politicians everywhere seem to be simple reactionaries who's primary objective is to appear to be "doing something" about whatever the gutter press has chosen to take a stance on.

It's no longer considered important to take a wise, long term, arms-length view based on strong principles and sound governance. Once up on a time most politicians at least intended on being high-minded and willing to do the right thing. Now they seem to merely want to have "an answer", fly up the ranks and cling onto enough power to get lucrative directorships after they're put out.

Jul 8, 2009, 13:18
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 13:18
Jul 8, 2009, 13:18

And here I was thinking that Merkel had a little of common sense.

I'm sure after this they'll also ban StarCraft 2 LAN... oh, wait!

Jul 8, 2009, 13:14
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 13:14
Jul 8, 2009, 13:14

Because censorship is obviously a good way of tackling social issues. Morons.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Jul 8, 2009, 12:55
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 12:55
Jul 8, 2009, 12:55

Its getting worse and worse each day.
The funny thing is, in the same county the LAN should have happened, will be held a shooting match with 14 year olds, which of course will not be canceled. The LAN was adults only (18+). So they are actually saying that games are more dangerous to adults than guns to minors. Think about that...

Its also not just games, they are trying to censor and control everything harder, especially the Internet as a whole.
There have already been issued new laws to initiate that.

Personally I think they are afraid of their citizens and simply want to hold them as calm and as controlled as possible. Maybe after the elections, which are in September, they will stop, but I doubt it.
The worst thing though is that the majority of the people supports these ideas and laws.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Jul 8, 2009, 12:51
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 12:51
Jul 8, 2009, 12:51

Whats going on over their Germany?
There are elections at the end of september, to be precise:

"Bundestagswahl"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_federal_election,_2009

Every well established party is going NUTS about issues concerning "violent video games" or "filtering the net to protect childs". They all hope to motivate their own followers to vote. They want to build a smoke screen of "Look, look, we're doing something. We are concerned! Look, our childs and our youth are our future!"

So they start little, useless (in most cases with widespread collateral damage for civil rights) laws and regulations, in the hope that no one notices, that their "real" education politics SUCKS BALLS! Sadly, a lot of voters could be fooled by this or they stay at home at election day, because they had enough of every fuckin political party in Germany.

But ... all big parties like the CDU or the SPD are dying out. No young german with self respect wants to vote for them. These parties are loosing an entire generation, which is becoming more clearly by every demographic statistic data, gathered after every major election in Germany. In fact, the hunt for violent video games and for more control of the internet, is mostly a "generation thing".

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2009, 12:56.

Jul 8, 2009, 12:29
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 12:29

It's not to great a leap toward not being able to have public discussions about books that the government finds objectionable based on some arbitrary criteria, say, books that might have a negative impact on the 'stability' of the government.

Creepy stuff. Hopefully it's just the reaction of the older, close-minded set to something they don't understand and as the younger population increases in size it will sort itself out. After all, how many people between the age of majority and 30 or 35 would possibly approve of such a law. These things really go beyond just a nanny state and are on the precipice of a very slippery slope. It's funny the way seemingly almost every western government is scratching their way inch by inch toward a fascist state.

Prez

Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 12:29
 Prez

What the hell is going on in the world? Years ago, it was the rest of the world showing America how it's done when it comes to free speech and avoiding censorship. It seems in a surreal flip-flop that the roles have almost reversed!

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2009, 12:29.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 8, 2009, 12:25
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 12:25
Jul 8, 2009, 12:25

Do they not realize the irony in trying to overcome ancestral mistakes by perpetuating Nazi party policies like government censorship?

Very well said! Whats going on over their Germany? Maybe a few of our German friends can comment.

Jul 8, 2009, 12:16
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 12:16

Looks like Germany is headed down the same road as Australia by turning into a Nanny state.

Its truly sad when the government can't trust adults to make decisions for themselves.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Verno

Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 12:16
 Verno

Do they not realize the irony in trying to overcome ancestral mistakes by perpetuating Nazi party policies like government censorship?
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Jul 8, 2009, 12:09
Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 12:09
Jul 8, 2009, 12:09

doh.. another reason it sucks to be german.. like they needed another one too
If you kill them, they will die!
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older