On Alan Wake 2 PC

A post to a thread called "Can we get a straight answer about the PC version?" on the Alan Wake Community Forums has a response to concerns on that topic from Remedy Entertainment's Markus Maki. The vagueness of his response is not very reassuring for PC gamers concerned they won't get to play Remedy's upcoming psychological thriller (which Remedy says is the first season of a bigger story), on their chosen platform:
Hey all,

I'm a PC gamer at heart (have a Core i7, Radeon 4890, 5.1 audio setup at home) so I do appreciate your concerns.

Unfortunately all I can say at this point is that we're focusing all our efforts on the 360 version and will be making comments in regards to the PC at a later in time.
View : : :
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC
Jul 8, 2009, 04:05
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 04:05
Jul 8, 2009, 04:05

caveman cant accept anything except big dicks up his ass

Jul 8, 2009, 03:53
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 03:53
Jul 8, 2009, 03:53

The sooner people can accept it, the better.

I surely hope the irony of your statement isn't completely lost to you. You are constantly complaining about the people complaining about the industry. The people complaining about the industry aren't going to stop because of your complaints, just like the industry isn't going to change because of the other complaints. The sooner you accept this, the more productive your posts will be.

Jul 8, 2009, 03:26
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 03:26
Jul 8, 2009, 03:26

f13 is correct, Alan Wake was the uber showcase game/tech4 for Intel's upcoming processors and it was super liquid cooled 8 core systems... wtf.

Jul 8, 2009, 03:22
Kxmode

Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 03:22
Jul 8, 2009, 03:22
 Kxmode

This game started off as a XP title, then a XP/Vista title, then a Vista/360 title, and now a 360 exclusive? Remedy, seriously... go hang yourselves...

Want some cheese with that whine?

I don't game on the Linux Windows emulator...
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jul 8, 2009, 03:21
Kxmode

Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 03:21
Jul 8, 2009, 03:21
 Kxmode

The PC gaming industry is NOT going to die because Remedy is having a freakish time trying to stay committed to one platform. I mean really guys? Really?!
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jul 8, 2009, 03:19
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 03:19
Jul 8, 2009, 03:19

This game started off as a XP title, then a XP/Vista title, then a Vista/360 title, and now a 360 exclusive? Remedy, seriously... go hang yourselves...
Want some cheese with that whine?

Jul 8, 2009, 03:18
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 03:18

Deal with it. Those in denial about PC gaming are utter fools. People go where the $ is and that ain't the PC.
qft..

I think I'll quote it again
Deal with it. Those in denial about PC gaming are utter fools. People go where the $ is and that ain't the PC.

Kxmode

Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 03:18
 Kxmode

Jul 8, 2009, 03:17
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 03:17
Jul 8, 2009, 03:17

Oh and Caveman... FUCK OFF BACK TO YOUR CAVE! And Why does someone like YOU hang around a predominately PC focused news website? To troll is my guess, to make you feel big... you obviously have no life.
I'm a PC and 360 gamer so suck it. Sorry if you don't like for me to point out the blatant hypocrisy and retarded superior complex that most of these bitter PC gamers on this site have.

Guess what, consoles is where the money is at. The sooner people can accept it, the better. Gaming, like any other business, has one goal in mind, money. Stop acting like developers owe you PC gamers anything and stop complaining everytime a developer wants to make more money.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2009, 03:18.

Jul 8, 2009, 02:57
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 02:57
Jul 8, 2009, 02:57

2?

Oh and Caveman... FUCK OFF BACK TO YOUR CAVE! And Why does someone like YOU hang around a predominately PC focused news website? To troll is my guess, to make you feel big... you obviously have no life.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2009, 02:59.

Jul 8, 2009, 01:24
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 01:24
Jul 8, 2009, 01:24

MS wants the XBox to be your ONLY gaming machine, period.

MS wants you to use your computer for business, period.

Jul 8, 2009, 00:53
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 00:53
Jul 8, 2009, 00:53

Why did it switch over to 360? Well, for one, it'll make more money there and that's very important to all parties involved. The development was sucking cash and the game needs to come out. This is less "let's screw over PC users" and more "well, we can rush it to the 360 and sell X amount while pissing off 1/5X, rush it to the PC and sell X/5 amount while pissing off 5X, keep it in development longer and piss fans off all of the above, or cut parts and push it out sooner for both, also probably pissing off all of the above."

I don't think it's an issue of rushing the game at all. Microsoft could very easily get a small team to work on the PC version while Remedy continues working on the 360 version. If 2K, Ubisoft, EA and pretty much every other publisher can do it, Microsoft sure as hell can do it too. A consecutive 360/PC really isn't that hard to do. No, it's far more likely that Microsoft wants people to think this is a 360 exclusive, just like they want everyone to think Splinter Cell Conviction and L4D2 are 360 exclusives. They make no mention of the PC versions ever. Microsoft probably won't even announce the PC version of Alan Wake until a year after the 360 version is released. I'm fine with Alan Wake being released on 360 and I'm even able to accept that it's now the lead SKU. What I can't tolerate is the bullshit MS will inevitably pull by delaying the PC version in an effort to push the 360. Do they stand to make more money from the 360? Sure. Except I don't care. I'm a PC gamer. A game that was originally a PC game is now being delayed, perhaps even canceled, thanks to Microsoft.

For the record - the Max Payne franchise has sold 7 million units. Max Payne was released for PC, Mac, Gameboy, PS2, Xbox. Max Payne 2 was released for PC, PS2, Xbox. Max Payne 1 for the PS2 sold 2 million copies. I'd think it's probably safe to guess that more than half of Remedy's sales in the past have been on the console.

Really? I don't think it's safe to say that at all. The console ports of MP1 and 2 were pretty lousy and they came out after the PC releases. Everybody knows how delayed ports sell compared to the original releases. I don't think Remedy had anything to do with the Gameboy version either. If the PS2 version of Max Payne did actually sell 2 million copies, the Xbox probably sold a lot less because PS2 had a much, much larger install base than the Xbox. Given these considerations, I think it's much safer to say that more than half of Remedy's sales in the past have been on the PC.

Jul 8, 2009, 00:32
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 8, 2009, 00:32
Jul 8, 2009, 00:32

that Alan Wake was originally a PC exclusive or at the very least, PC was lead SKU

Was never an exclusive, but was probably the lead platform, although we don't know because it was announced for the 360 and PC simultaneously: http://pc.ign.com/articles/615/615937p1.html
It was also announced just as consoles were really in the middle of exploding. It wouldn't be the first title to switch lead platforms.

When did Microsoft become involved? Shortly after that E3. It was announced sans publisher. Microsoft became involved soon thereafter and at the next E3 it was announced to be a Vista exclusive. Dumb move. THIS is a good example of Microsoft screwing people over. No one won here.

Why did it switch over to 360? Well, for one, it'll make more money there and that's very important to all parties involved. The development was sucking cash and the game needs to come out. This is less "let's screw over PC users" and more "well, we can rush it to the 360 and sell X amount while pissing off 1/5X, rush it to the PC and sell X/5 amount while pissing off 5X, keep it in development longer and piss fans off all of the above, or cut parts and push it out sooner for both, also probably pissing off all of the above."

Given those options, well, the PC loses. That's what happens when you're in the minority. We'll still get our version. It will be prettier and probably the superior version. But if it's taking so much time that it needs to get out there then it just makes the most sense to concentrate on the one where you'll make the most money.

Remember - Remedy isn't exactly loaded. Their last game was Max Payne 2. Six years ago. Six years is a very, very long time to not release something. Yeah, there was a Max Payne movie, and there's Max Payne 3, but Remedy sold the rights to Max Payne for $10 million back in 2002. So, essentially, Remedy has had zero income since 2003 or 2004. Remedy is probably in serious need of making some cash. Soon.

Would this have happened anyway? Possibly. In fairness Alan Wake is a slow game and slow games tend to be very well suited for console controls. Microsoft and Remedy might have realized how profitable it'd be to do it this way, too. But I doubt it. I think that, given infinite funds, we'd be seeing both released at the same time. That just isn't true, and it makes far more sense to release on the 360 first. With it's hype it's guaranteed 2-3 million sales there. It won't see that on the PC.

For the record - the Max Payne franchise has sold 7 million units. Max Payne was released for PC, Mac, Gameboy, PS2, Xbox. Max Payne 2 was released for PC, PS2, Xbox. Max Payne 1 for the PS2 sold 2 million copies. I'd think it's probably safe to guess that more than half of Remedy's sales in the past have been on the console.

Jul 7, 2009, 23:44
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 7, 2009, 23:44
Jul 7, 2009, 23:44

Yes, other companies manage to get games out for both at once, but most other companies don't sit on the same game for four years.

When did Microsoft officially become the publisher for Alan Wake? I'm pretty sure they weren't the publisher four years ago. Remember that Alan Wake was originally a PC exclusive or at the very least, PC was lead SKU. Observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fqb5VRtTL8. Notice the lack of Microsoft. Like Halo, Fable, Gears of War and so many others, Alan Wake was a PC game that was turned into a 360 game because MS would have it no other way.

No other OS is even remotely challenging Windows on the gaming front. MS makes a lot more money off of games on XBox than they do on the PC. They don't get a paid by PC game developers like they do by XBox developers.

Truth. MS gets royalties from every 360 disc made. They also get royalties from DLC and downloadable games. They also get a steady revenue stream from Xbox Live (from both customers and advertisers). Let's not forget the overpriced peripherals either. Above all else, MS has absolute control over the Xbox platform. They decide what gets made, how it gets made and how much it sells for. They don't have even remotely as much control over the PC platform and don't stand to make nearly as much money with so little effort.

As I mentioned in an older thread, Microsoft has done more harm to PC gaming in the past 8 years than any other force.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2009, 23:52.

Jul 7, 2009, 23:27
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 7, 2009, 23:27
Jul 7, 2009, 23:27

well, if it's only the first season, as a PC gamer i'd expect more than a 10-12 hour game for $50.

enjoy it on console, though!

^m^

Jul 7, 2009, 23:04
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 7, 2009, 23:04
Jul 7, 2009, 23:04

Well when they revealed the gameplay it quickly became apparent that the game is a straightforward survival horror game using light as a gimmick in combat.
Exactly. I really like the story-driven focus - that's something desperately needed in gaming - but the gameplay looks weak. Certainly it looks like it was designed with a controller in mind. It definitely isn't AAA material for PC and this "news" really is no surprise.

Nobody should be surprised by this. If MS publishes a game, it'll be a 360 exclusive and MIGHT eventually come out on PC after its been thoroughly milked. MS doesn't like competition.
Indeed. It's rather sad that Microsoft - the developer of Windows - support the PC worse than most other companies. Even Capcom support PC gaming more than Microsoft, a company famous for its arcade and console offerings. It pisses me off because Halo and Alan Wake would have been much better games if Microsoft hadn't bought off the developers to focus on consoles.

PS - I'm loving Street Fighter IV and I've just noticed the new Monkey Island game is available on Steam (it's actually episodic, instead of Valve's bizarre definition).

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2009, 23:04.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Jul 7, 2009, 22:55
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 7, 2009, 22:55
Jul 7, 2009, 22:55

You do realize of course that there are far more people using PC/laptops that use MS' own OS than there are console users. So wouldn't it be in their own interests to see that people play PC games?
No other OS is even remotely challenging Windows on the gaming front. MS makes a lot more money off of games on XBox than they do on the PC. They don't get a paid by PC game developers like they do by XBox developers. I'm sure they're content to have XBox be their flagship gaming platform. Windows will get the shaft as far as gaming since there's little competition on that front anyway. They'll probably release this game for the PC in a year or so after they've milked it on XBox as much as possible. PC gamers get the sloppy seconds.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2009, 22:56.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Jul 7, 2009, 22:48
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 7, 2009, 22:48
Jul 7, 2009, 22:48

For those of us who don't speak twitter/text message speak, wouldn't it make more sense for the title to be "On Alan Wake PC"? I thought this was about Alan Wake 2.

Jul 7, 2009, 22:40
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 7, 2009, 22:40
Jul 7, 2009, 22:40

That's why we are focusing our games on the "teen" crowd they have the consoles & the parents have the money. It's important that in the future we dumb down our games to appeal to a more broader American audience. Americans have no interest in a steep learning curve for a game they would much rather just mash buttons & well gladley charge them 60.00 to do so

1) Teens no longer make up the bulk of console game sales.
2) I assume the ignorant American comments represent how you feel foreign devs see Americans, not how you do.

In any case you can't blame Microsoft entirely for this. The game is taking too long to get out and they're wasting too much money. To speed it up they're focusing on one platform for right now. The 360, being static, is a bit easier and you're virtually guaranteed higher sales these days. Of course it's what they focus on.

Yes, other companies manage to get games out for both at once, but most other companies don't sit on the same game for four years.

We'll see a PC version. It'll be prettier than the console one.

Jul 7, 2009, 22:39
Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 7, 2009, 22:39
Jul 7, 2009, 22:39

It's not surprising, Microsoft tried to use this game to pimp DX10/Vista, that didn't work out so well. They may as well whore it to the console crowd. Wait... I'm having a premonition, I see a transition to DX11 in Alan Wake's future. If it sells well enough to even do a PC version.
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older