Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 18:13 Jerykk

The point remains, their focus will be on the 360. Conviction on the pc may well be a decent port, but it will hardly be better than what will end up on the 360.

360 is the lead SKU, yes. That doesn't mean it'll be worse on the PC though. I'm 99% sure the PC version will support higher resolutions, higher AA, higher AF and all at higher framerates. It'll also support the mouse which makes aiming a lot more natural.

These days, unfortunately, you're better off buying the console version of just about everything if you're after the number one experience.

Why? The majority of ports are better on the PC for the reasons I mentioned above. Even if a port doesn't redesign the interface, rebalance the game or add new features, the enhanced graphics, performance and controls alone make it better than the console versions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 12:41 GT

These days, unfortunately, you're better off buying the console version of just about everything if you're after the number one experience.
That makes absolutely no sense. What makes PC games which are ported from console games shitty is the fact that they are no better than the console versions and are hampered with the console version's same limitations and design flaws such as lack of on-demand or quick save, limited video resolution choice, lower quality textures, poor UI, limited or restrictive multiplayer matchmaking, lack of dedicated server capability, lack of command console, lack of modding capability, auto-aim, etc. So, how the hell can you call the console version of the game superior to the PC port? Even if the PC version is a crappy port, the console version is not going to be any better because it will have all of the same limitations and flaws. It will be the same game, but simply cost more than the PC version since PC games usually debut for less and/or fall faster in price.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2009, 12:46.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 12:38 Ventura

BTW Ventura compare Assassin's Creed 360 vs PC, defiantly not a port

Definitely not a port? Videos look pretty damn similar. The pc may have a graphical edge, but that's not uncommon.

In any case, it's a pretty safe bet that the vast majority of people will not have played the same game on more than one platform.

The point is to go with what the developers are going to prioritise.

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 12:16 Ventura

You've been saying that Ubisoft has a history of shitty ports when they very clearly do not. I have no reason to think that Conviction will be a shitty port

I said they weren't known for their fabulous ports.

The point remains, their focus will be on the 360. Conviction on the pc may well be a decent port, but it will hardly be better than what will end up on the 360.

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 11:21 DG

Well I'll definitely play it on 360 if anything.
Since I can rent games for that

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 06:36  The Half Elf 

Wasn't it the GRAW series that was a totally different version from it's console counterparts? Same story but the game was set up to take advantage of the PC's power over the 360's?

BTW Ventura compare Assassin's Creed 360 vs PC, defiantly not a port.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 05:35 Jerykk

That doesn't change anything though.

Uh, it changes your whole argument. You've been saying that Ubisoft has a history of shitty ports when they very clearly do not. I have no reason to think that Conviction will be a shitty port.

If you can handle your shooters with a gamepad, of course.

I very dearly hope Conviction won't be a shooter. The previous games were great because you could get through the vast majority of levels without firing a shot. Hence, the whole "stealth" aspect. Unfortunately, it seems like there will be lots of unavoidable gunfights in Conviction.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2009, 05:39.

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 05:33 Ventura

Ubisoft has a history of solid PC ports, albeit with a few exceptions (like Double Agent)

That doesn't change anything though.

As always, the 360 version will be the one to own. If you can handle your shooters with a gamepad, of course.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 04:41 Jerykk

They're not exactly known for their fabulous PC ports.

I didn't have any issues with the first three Splinter Cells. All the Prince of Persia games were good ports too. Far Cry 2, though a crappy game, was a good port too. All those games were better on the PC.

The only recent Ubisoft port that was blatantly half-assed was Double Agent and as I mentioned before, that game came out on 7 platforms so PC was very likely the lowest priority. Conviction is only coming out for two platforms, both of which share a very similar architecture. Ubisoft has a history of solid PC ports, albeit with a few exceptions (like Double Agent).

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 04:10 Ventura

You're still going to get the 360 version even if the PC version ends up being better..?

Really not taking that hint, are you?

What part about Ubisoft didn't get through? Really, what don't you understand? They're not exactly known for their fabulous PC ports. You could name just about everything they've ever done, and it would be better on the 360.

That's just who they are. Still, you want to believe they're about ready to turn over a new leaf with Conviction, fine. From where I'm standing though, it looks like Caveman's got his head screwed on right.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 01:33 Jerykk

Ok, I'm still getting the 360 version regardless.

You're still going to get the 360 version even if the PC version ends up being better..?

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 01:24 Caveman

Ok, I'm still getting the 360 version regardless.  

5. Splinter Cell... Jun 20, 2009, 00:38 Umbragen

I'm hopeful, but this one ain't on my pre-order list.  

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 00:20 Jerykk

Ubisoft Montreal actually has multiple teams. The team that made Far Cry 2 isn't the same team that made Splinter Cell or R6: Vegas. It's hard to say how Conviction will turn out but I'm predicting the PC port will be solid given the minimal number of platforms. In multiplatform development, consoles always come first which in most cases means 360, PS3 and then PC. With only 360 and PC, PC gets a lot more attention.  

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 00:03 Caveman

Ubisoft Montreal(the studio behind Conviction) also made the god awful rainbow six vegas ports. Knowing Ubisoft, it will just be better to buy the console version.  

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 19, 2009, 23:15 Jerykk

Gonna buy it on 360 because more than likely the PC version will be a delayed shitty console port.

I doubt it. Double Agent was half-assed, true, but that was made by Ubisoft Shanghai. It also came out on 7 different platforms. With only 2 platforms, I see no reason why the PC version of Conviction would be delayed or half-assed.

That said, the game itself looks disappointing. Definite emphasis on action, definite lack of stealth. I'm hoping the E3 walkthrough was just misleading but based on what they've said, I doubt it.

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 19, 2009, 20:43 Caveman

I can't wait for the new Splinter Cell. Gonna buy it on 360 because more than likely the PC version will be a delayed shitty console port.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >