Out of the Blue

Okay, so I have hit the next noteworthy stage in the evolution of my relationship with the squirrels raiding the bird feeder. I described how I had to over-tighten two nuts to keep the squirrels from taking the feeder apart, but the other day I found it dismantled once again, as there was a third nut on the bottom I overlooked. This time I couldn't even find all the parts to put it back together, and I wouldn't put it past the little geniuses to have deliberately hidden them. The new stage this triggered is that this finally made me mad, the anger replacing my previous detached sort of bemusement at the whole situation. This lead me to the store in search of a more worthy feeder, and yes, I believe acquisition of a second feeder is probably another key milestone for the newbie bird-feeder. Anyway, I found a spring-powered one that works as described in a couple of forum posts: by closing off the feeding holes under the heavier weight of a squirrel. So far it's been very effective, the squirrels don't seem to have figured out yet how to thwart it. I took amusement in noticing the wire it hangs from was twisted around a few times... obviously they took a crack at their proven unscrewing method, but that's not how this one comes apart, and they seem to have given up even trying for the time being. It's too early to declare victory in the squirrel war, but I think I may have won a battle.

Victorious Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Dynamic Systems.
Upgrade complete.
Links: Tragedy. Thanks Armand.
Report: 90% Of Waking Hours Spent Staring At Glowing Rectangles.
Story: Wis. man survives 6-story fall from bank building.
Science: ‘Biocentrism’- How life creates the universe. Thanks WalterEgo.
Smaller reactor design for fusion may work in a "pinch".
Media: Mattress Dominos.
The iToilet.
The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien - Laker Riots.
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Biocentrism
Jun 19, 2009, 13:52
Re: Biocentrism Jun 19, 2009, 13:52
Jun 19, 2009, 13:52

I don't believe there's anything necessarily wrong with philosophy, or even spiritualism and all that other woo-woo stuff (to each his/her own), but it's ludicrous to suggest that human thought, or even life itself, is in any way relevant to the sciences of, cosmology, quantum mechanics etc...to the quest for understanding the universe...that is, that life or thought itself has a causal effect on the nature of reality. It's sad how someone can publish a book preaching inane anthropocentric/superstitious/fantasy or just plain loony theories and influence other people into believing them, as some take anything that's been published on printed page/TV/the internet as 'gospel'.

Jun 19, 2009, 13:16
PHJF

Re: Biocentrism Jun 19, 2009, 13:16
Jun 19, 2009, 13:16
 PHJF

Heat is a force? Damn, my physics profs were all wrong!
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jun 19, 2009, 10:52
Re: Biocentrism Jun 19, 2009, 10:52
Jun 19, 2009, 10:52

What a bunch of pseudointellectual guru crap.

Jun 19, 2009, 09:27
Re: Biocentrism Jun 19, 2009, 09:27
Jun 19, 2009, 09:27

cutter you have no clue what you are talking about - you are projecting your own interpretation and lack of understanding.. and given your description of it, your lack of knowledge on the topic is so extensive as to invite mockery - but its early this morning

the law of gravity is just one of many objective laws, and the efforts of G and so forth are not philosophical or theoretical in nature, but rather practical - it is a practice which leads to internal transformation after many years.. not some pie in the sky bullshit you just made up because "you know the score"

the whole misunderstanding of the western mind on the topic of perception is just another excuse to eat more cheeseburgers and watch more tv - its not an actual argument because its not even addressing the actual issue

the subjective world exists in your own mind, its how you label your little ideas and sort your little feelings, name your pets, have your opinions, etc... the objective world is the outside forces of gravity, heat, magnetism, etc. the subjective world is very much a creation of your own mind, if you cant see that you are a blind fool - nothing in the subjective mind has an objective reality that can act on you like an ocean that gets you wet, an ocean that has objective reality

but rather people stay locked inside their own precious opinions about things and never really grasp the actual reality they are based upon - like you

Re: Squirrel Saga
Jun 19, 2009, 05:35
Re: Squirrel Saga Jun 19, 2009, 05:35
Jun 19, 2009, 05:35

If you want to entertain yourself AND avoid feeding the squirrels, might I suggest
Or perhaps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBb7KReY6Eg&feature=related

A bit cruel, I know

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2009, 05:38.

Jun 19, 2009, 03:22
Re: Biocentrism Jun 19, 2009, 03:22
Jun 19, 2009, 03:22

Yeah, I'm familiar with Gurdjieff and his disciple Ouspensky, the russian mathematician and mystic, and his "Tertium Organum - The New Canon of Thought", which caused a big kerfuffle back in the day. The fact is Gurdjieff was a mystic/philosopher and even with Ouspensky's science background it was just more of the same, 'We don't understand it. It seems too big and all encompassing, so therfore it must be a byproduct of something greater than ourselves.' No they never expressed it was god, but it was certainly implied. They too fall for the same fallacy that because we currently lack the means to better understand the natural universe that it's somehow beyond us.

Even philosophically speaking we have to start with the premise of conciousness. Cogitio ergo sum. I think therefore I am. We know that 2+2=4. Yet they question if 2 actually exists. That's mystical nonsense. To put it more simply, whether or not you believe the ocean exists, step it in and you're going to get wet. Venture out far enough and you'll drown. By their rationale, gravity is only a matter of percpetion. I dare you to take a header off a skyscraper tomorrow and tell the universe it's wrong. This is NOT the Matrix.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Re: Fusion reactor
Jun 18, 2009, 19:39
Re: Fusion reactor Jun 18, 2009, 19:39
Jun 18, 2009, 19:39

So does that mean that after spending years and billions of dollars building that huge one in California, just as it comes online they've figured out how to do fusion experiments in something much smaller and cheaper? Somebody's got to be feeling like a right fanny about that...

Squirrel Saga
Jun 18, 2009, 19:17
Squirrel Saga Jun 18, 2009, 19:17
Jun 18, 2009, 19:17

If you want to entertain yourself AND avoid feeding the squirrels, might I suggest a Twirl-a-Squirrel?

...or perhaps a Yankee Flipper?

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2009, 19:22.

Jun 18, 2009, 19:14
Re: Biocentrism Jun 18, 2009, 19:14
Jun 18, 2009, 19:14

Objective knowledge, the idea of unity included, belongs to objective consciousness. The forms which express this knowledge when perceived by subjective consciousness are inevitably distorted and, instead of truth, they create more and more delusions. With objective consciousness it is possible to see and feel the unity of everything. But for subjective consciousness the world is split up into millions of separate and unconnected phenomena. Attempts to connect these phenomena into some sort of system in a scientific or philosophical way lead to nothing because man cannot reconstruct the idea of the whole starting from separate facts and they cannot divine the principles of the division of the whole without knowing the laws upon which this division is based.

- G. I. Gurdjieff

Jun 18, 2009, 17:04
PHJF

Re: Biocentrism Jun 18, 2009, 17:04
Jun 18, 2009, 17:04
 PHJF

If you feed squirrels you'll get a lot more squirrels. My mother started feeding a pair and a short while later there were a half dozen all stuffing their gullets on a daily basis, sometimes more.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jun 18, 2009, 16:49
Re: Biocentrism Jun 18, 2009, 16:49
Jun 18, 2009, 16:49

Yeesh! That "Biocentrism" article does not belong under the "Science" heading. Maybe "New-age Pseudoscience", but not science.

Agreed. It's an interesting read, but the authours seem unwilling to acknowledge a few key issues like the tools we use to make these determinations are still very limited. It wasn't that long ago when the world was flat, and the universe revolved around the earth. When we've come to a place where people are beginning to question our most solid theories doesn't mean they're entirely in doubt, simply that we didn't know enough about them in the first place, and we'll still learning as we go along.

Saying that everything exists only as a probability by way of the observer is ludicrous at best. We know life existed long before man and will continue long after we're gone. The universe doesn't exist predicated on our interaction with it. The whole thing smacks of a creationist point of view gussied up to sound viable, when what they're saying is 'It's all so big and complex that we don't fully understand it so something must have created it for it all to work the way it does.'

Picard said it best..."Considering the marvelous complexity of the universe, it's clockwork perfection, it's balances of this against that, matter, energy, gravitation, time, dimension - I believe that our existence must be more than either of these philosophies. That what we are goes beyond Euclidean or other practical measuring systems, and that our existence is part of a reality beyond what we understand now as reality."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Re: Out of the Blue
Jun 18, 2009, 14:21
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2009, 14:21
Jun 18, 2009, 14:21

I don't really understand the problem some folks have with feeding squirrels (I find them far more interesting than the birds), but if you really want them gone, just don't put out seeds that they like. Safflower seeds are popular among most songbirds, but squirrels (and grackels and starlings) don't care for them, so they'll leave them alone.

There is no such thing as a squirrel-proof bird feeder...there are whole documentaries about the quest for such, but no winner has ever been found. Just change the bait.

Jun 18, 2009, 14:18
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2009, 14:18
Jun 18, 2009, 14:18

Coming home from a dentists visit something on the car fails sending him down the ditch by the driveway and heading straight for the bird feeder, this spooks the dogs inside and they both take out the coffee grinder.

Its minus 3 Celsius here in New Zealand I got up early so I could catch the golf. The golf is rained out!
Wadda ya call that, summer!
Blue go outside and do a sun dance.
This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2009, 16:28.
Um .. Behind you...

Jun 18, 2009, 14:01
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2009, 14:01
Jun 18, 2009, 14:01

We're due for a coffee grinder replacement story any day now.

Or a dentist visit.

Or a story involving nin in the van and a dog with a cast.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Jun 18, 2009, 13:57
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2009, 13:57
Jun 18, 2009, 13:57

We're due for a coffee grinder replacement story any day now.

Or a dentist visit.
"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

Jun 18, 2009, 13:36
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2009, 13:36
Jun 18, 2009, 13:36

Yeesh! That "Biocentrism" article does not belong under the "Science" heading. Maybe "New-age Pseudoscience", but not science.

I think physicists really dropped the ball when they started using the term "observer" while talking about quantum mechanics. They should have said "detector", coz now every new-age yahoo out there is trying to throw consciousness and life into the physics mix. That "What the bleep do we know" movie is the worst (and creepiest) example of mangling good science in order to fit into the new-age scene ("I think, therefore the universe is"...arrrg!). The "Observer" that physicists talk about does not mean a conscious entity, but simply the cause of an interaction on the subatomic level -a detector (ie. you can't know the state of a particle or a photon without interacting with it, thereby changing the system in some fundamental way).

These new-agers with their "theories" need to stop...just stop!

Jun 18, 2009, 13:30
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2009, 13:30
Jun 18, 2009, 13:30

Sorry Blue, eventually the squirrels will figure it out. I have yet to encounter a bird feeder that squirrels won't inevitably defeat.

Just buy more bird seed and resign yourself to the fact that squirrels are our bird feeder overlords.

Jun 18, 2009, 11:58
nin

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2009, 11:58
Jun 18, 2009, 11:58
 nin

I suggest a bb/pellet gun to rid your hood of this tree rat.

This tree rat is smart, and will cast <charm human> by wiggling his nose...

Jun 18, 2009, 11:55
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2009, 11:55
Jun 18, 2009, 11:55

Dynamic Systems is amusing but not quite Incredible Machine... I dunno if it's a limitation of Flash or a deliberate design decision but I'm pretty sure in Incredible Machine if you hit start 5 times without changing anything, the same thing happens 5 times... On the other hand, level 24 of Dynamic Systems I push start 5 times without changing anything and I get 5 different outcomes, the 5th being a success.
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Jun 18, 2009, 11:34
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2009, 11:34
Jun 18, 2009, 11:34

Blue, may I suggest a squirrel feeder?

I sent him links, but so far, no go (darnit).

I suggest a bb/pellet gun to rid your hood of this tree rat.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2009, 11:34.
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older