WAR Changes Postponed

The Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Forums announce the postponement of the combat and career changes planned for the upcoming version 1.3 patch for Mythic's MMORPG (thanks IncGamers). According to producer Adam Gershowitz some of their planned changes turned out to be controversial, and they are being removed from the patch in order to concentrate on the new Land of the Dead zone, and they will begin testing career changes anew once the version 1.3 patch is released. Here's an excerpt:
Version 1.3 introduces numerous positive career changes, such as the ongoing Archmage / Shaman revamp, reductions in AoE effectiveness, and smaller targeted improvements to the Rune Priest, Zealot, Marauder, Magus, and White Lion careers; however, we have also found a number of changes to be controversial within the community, including the adjustments to Stat Factors, Healing Effectiveness, and concerns about the Warrior Priest and Disciple careers. Due to the complexity of the changes, it becomes very difficult to simply separate out specific items from the patch without altering other changes in unexpected ways. As a result of this, and to ensure the very best possible patch content, we have decided to split the Career balance changes out of our 1.3 patch. This will allow us to continue working with our Public Test community to further shape the upcoming career adjustments into a more stable, understandable, and fun experience for all.

Career balance changes will be removed from our PTS server starting in Phase 3 of version 1.3 testing, allowing players to focus on testing and feedback for our new Land of the Dead zone. We plan to re-open balance testing for career changes shortly after the release of our 1.3 patch so that we can continue working with the community on these changes and improvements to WAR.
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: WAR Changes Postponed
Jun 9, 2009, 16:04
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 9, 2009, 16:04
Jun 9, 2009, 16:04

Well, if you are talking about something like Eve, I'm not really into "Trade-Wars" type games.

Leveling doesn't bother me, although I do prefer a skill based game like AC rather than a class based. (more freedom on the character build)

What makes leveling (in general) suck is the sheer repetitiveness of just killing monsters over and over, or doing very LAME task-quests over and over.

Now, If all the quests were "epic and interesting" (closer to a single player RPGs like Ultima Underworld, NWN, NWN2, Morrowind, Oblivion, Arx, etc.), and there were ZERO "mundane-task-quests" in the game at all, I could be in a game like that forever, and not care about leveling speed.... which would greatly retain subscribers, IMO.

I guess my point is, that the content is pretty lame in most of these games. Basically the same crap with different paint.... and it's getting real "old" and very "boring".

And no, I'm not a PvPer. Usually MMOs can't balance that for shit. I get my PvP fix via fragging with FPS games... for free.

But hey, if you have some suggested games, I'm all ears!

We'll see how Bioware does with SW:KOR, although I'm not all that big on Star Wars. I'm more interested on how they will utilize the Hero Engine, and if it will be close to NWN as far as questing is concerened.

The Agency might be fun too. Kind of hard to put in a "Go kill 10 rats and bring back 10 rat tails" quest in that.... but hey, they just might figure out how to do that.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2009, 16:16.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Jun 9, 2009, 11:00
Kxmode

Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 9, 2009, 11:00
Jun 9, 2009, 11:00
 Kxmode

I stand corrected.

Still, there are MMOs that don't have levels and quests. If you tired of the quest-and-level formula then you should seek those out. You may like them.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Jun 9, 2009, 10:10
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 9, 2009, 10:10
Jun 9, 2009, 10:10

I have plenty of experience with them. I've played a multidude of releases in North America (M59, EQ, AC, DAoC, AO, HZ(Beta), AC 2(Beta), Ryzom(Beta), HZ(Beta), EQ 2, GW, DnDO(Beta), Lotro, WoW, and AoC)... and pretty much, they are all repetitive, whack-a-mole, and uninspired mundane "task-quest" games, with AoC being the least in mundane tasks. (As in the majority of the quests... not saying there aren't some decent quests in the mix... but usually they are few and far between.)

/shrug

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2009, 10:27.

Jun 9, 2009, 00:31
Kxmode

Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 9, 2009, 00:31
Jun 9, 2009, 00:31
 Kxmode

@wtf_man - there are MMOs out there that don't have quests or even levels, but you still feel the need to put all MMOs into categories you described. I'm sorry but this shows your lack of experience with them. This leads to my question. If you lack experience with them who are you to even say why MMO's fail in general? I'm not trying to sound combative; just stating an observation.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2009, 02:32.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Jun 8, 2009, 22:57
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 22:57
Jun 8, 2009, 22:57

I think the main point is you can't change the core gameplay RULES post launch. It's like bait and switch.

I mean, I think everyone knows that there are going to be some "adjustments" (within reason) to balance things out in an MMO... but when the adjustments totally change the whole aspect of a class or whatever... they've gone way too far.

It's like playing tag with a bunch of your friends.
You're "it"... and you tag someone... and they say "no... I'm touching this tree... it's a base". They basically just changed the rules on you in mid-gameplay. Sooner or later... you don't want to play with that person anymore because it's so ridiculous.

It's a simplistic analogy... but at the root of it... it's the same thing.

So now you are playing an MMO that you paid XX$ for up front plus YY$ a month. And they up and change the rules on you... over and over again. Anybody in their right mind would stop playing, and many do.

Developers don't get it through their thick fuckin skulls that you can't treat your paying customers that way. Sure... they are trying to chase the "almighty buck" and sucker new people into buying their game... but in the long run, they lose both their original customers and most of the new ones, as the server populations slowly dwindle because of their bullshit.

The BS line of "MMO's are ever evolving" doesn't wash with most people. If they start taking away things that people have built up and invested time on, it just pisses them off and makes them cancel.

Take the monthly fee out of the equation for a minute. You buy a single player game, that forcefully patches itself. You get 80% through the game and a patch comes down that radically alters the whole game and you have to basically start over (since most of your skills or items are now worthless). That alone would piss off most people. Add the monthly fee back and you are actually continuously PAYING for the ABUSE!

This is why MMO's fail in general.
Well, that, and usually it's the same fucking "whack a mole" or "kill 10x and bring back 10y" repetitive crap, with different paint. And that's not even getting into bugs, content gaps, and lag issues which plague most of these games.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2009, 23:01.

Jun 8, 2009, 22:53
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 22:53
Jun 8, 2009, 22:53

The only one that did nighttime right was WWII Online, and even they've gone puss now. Used to be night was FUGGIN DARK, and you'd be lucky to see stuff moving around even if you caught them on a horizon.

Was great for infantry, but too many people whined, so now I'm not even sure you can tell when the sun goes down - like every other mmo.

Jun 8, 2009, 21:40
Kxmode

Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 21:40
Jun 8, 2009, 21:40
 Kxmode

that's what they get for taking their game that a million people liked and trying to turn it into WoW in Space.

At its peak Star Wars Galaxies only had around 300,000 subs. Where did you get this million number? Are you referring to the films? I think there's more than a million who enjoy the films. Confused

Jun 8, 2009, 19:39
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 19:39
Jun 8, 2009, 19:39

Last I heard, SWG has around 130,000 subscribers. Definitely a shadow of their heyday, but that's what they get for taking their game that a million people liked and trying to turn it into WoW in Space. Even nighttime in SWG isn't dark anymore because nighttime isn't dark in WoW.
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Jun 8, 2009, 15:49
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 15:49
Jun 8, 2009, 15:49

The 'initial' combat changes, called by many the CU, did in fact bring in a LOT of players. For the two months after the CU the servers in the game were packed, I was on a server that was under medium load normally and on off-hours it was often under 'Extremely Heavy' load after the CU, with some planets having so many people on them they were lag-fests and many avoided them completely.

However, the New Game Experience is what actually caused the downfall of the game. The vast majority of players left the game at that time (there were over a million people playing the game about a month after the CU, and as far as we know, about 200'000 after the NGE.) Today they have even less players. So no, the game has never really recovered.

Jun 8, 2009, 15:48
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 15:48
Jun 8, 2009, 15:48

Hey Tumbler, you should hook a brotha up with that time card.)

Jun 8, 2009, 14:38
Prez

Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 14:38
Jun 8, 2009, 14:38
 Prez

I don't play MMO's, but didn't the huge combat change in Star Wars Galaxies, while admittedly royally pissing off the relatively few hardcore fans, actually bring in many more new fans? I thought I read that somewhere.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 8, 2009, 14:10
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 14:10
Jun 8, 2009, 14:10

And the cycle of nerfing, buffing and re-nerfing in a Mythic game continues.

As others had posted, DAoC was ruined and practically abandoned years ago because of constant class changes. Every patch was 90% class changes, 9% minor changes to the rest of the game, 1% actual game improvements.

I (rightfully) stayed away from the game because I knew it would only happen again. Every WAR fanboi from here to the MMORPG.com forums told me to f' off or that they'd learned a lesson.

This is Mythic we are talking about here. The Nerf KINGS. They actually completely redid some classes post release, completely changing their style and purpose. I knew that wouldn't change.

The class changes in the game may be put off, but nerfdom will never stop when Mythic is wielding the bat.

Jun 8, 2009, 13:23
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 13:23
Jun 8, 2009, 13:23

I'm still waiting for the RvR changes that make keep sieges/end game fun.

Although I stopped my WoW sub for this, after 6 months I was bored, so went back to WoW to join my mates - WoW feels incredibly stale and 'restricted' after WAR. Sure, its fantastically polished and the landscapes are awesome, but having lots of choices in WAR, at any level, really adds that extra 'zing'.

Jun 8, 2009, 12:28
Kxmode

Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 12:28
Jun 8, 2009, 12:28
 Kxmode

War WAR. War WAR never changes.

Fixed that.

Jun 8, 2009, 12:02
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 12:02
Jun 8, 2009, 12:02

I still have a time-card that I never used for this game. Canceled after first month because it was boring...The PvP combat was great, it just go old fast because you played the same game on the same map all the time...

It's so frustrating to see potential like this only to have it snuffed out because they didn't cut and paste more of the maps to be used in higher levels. (each level bracket, 10-20, 20-30, etc) had it's own set of maps which makes no sense because all you have to do is adjust the level limit inside any map and it can be useful for all levels.

Jun 8, 2009, 11:39
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 11:39
Jun 8, 2009, 11:39

War. War never changes.
Thanks Ray, that post made my morning.

Jun 8, 2009, 10:37
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 10:37
Jun 8, 2009, 10:37

Camelot died a long time ago thanks to constant swinging of the nerf-bat, and ridiculous design decisions on expansions (ToA).

It amazes me that anyone would be stupid enough to give them their money.

Yeah, I know other companies swing the nerf-bat too... but nothing comes close to Mythic, in that department. Eight and a half years later, and they STILL can't balance that game because they are totally inept.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2009, 10:37.

Jun 8, 2009, 10:28
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 10:28
Jun 8, 2009, 10:28

And to think that Camelot's dying on the vine because of this game...
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

Jun 8, 2009, 10:09
Re: WAR Changes Postponed Jun 8, 2009, 10:09
Jun 8, 2009, 10:09

War. War never changes.
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older