On ARMA II Bugs

German site PC Games reports on bugginess in the German edition of ARMA II, Bohemia Interactive Studios' military shooter sequel slated for release in that country tomorrow. Word is a patch is being readied for release tomorrow along with the release, and here is what Bohemia Interactive CEO Marek Spanel says about the situation:
We realize that the campaign maybe doesn't stand to your expectations but we hope that all the improvements made for the first patch will already make it much closer to what you hoped it will be initially. I just played German version 1.00 today to try some of the situations you mentioned enjoyed it despite I found a problem here or there. I'm personally not humiliated by my team mates sometimes fighting better than I do, and if something goes wrong or unexpected this game is so complex that often there is a way to find another solution of your current mission. Also, what is quite unusual is that some things happen completely differently every time I try a mission. I think the bugs do not kill the open nature of the game and that sheer scope, amount of content or beautiful country of Chernarus will more than compensate for these issues.
View : : :
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: On ARMA II Bugs
May 28, 2009, 22:56
Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 28, 2009, 22:56
May 28, 2009, 22:56

Trying to spin your way out of an incomplete game on the eve of its release shows a complete lack of character and a total disregard for your paying customers.

this guy should worry less about the AI humiliating him and a little more on what the fanbase thinks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

May 28, 2009, 22:46
Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 28, 2009, 22:46
May 28, 2009, 22:46

For the past week I've been seeing talk that the German release will be rough and more buggy than the subsequent releases.

It may end up being that BF:BC 2 with Project Reality 2 will be the next game most of us play for the best experience. hah
Perpetual debt is slavery.

May 28, 2009, 22:37
Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 28, 2009, 22:37
May 28, 2009, 22:37

Seems like they had a hard release date. You know, the bean counters and investors need their returns. I'm still buying the game asap because they do eventually get around to patching it.

I'm more interested in the multiplayer though. Is that just as buggy? Maybe so. Hopefully there will be mods to tighten up the battlefield size to focus the action due to the 64 player limit.

Hopefully this time they'll fix all the bugs in six months and not two years+ like ArmA 1.
Perpetual debt is slavery.

May 28, 2009, 22:36
Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 28, 2009, 22:36
May 28, 2009, 22:36

Bohemia Interactive confuse me. Flashpoint was buggy, but unique, and it sold well regardless. The bug-ridden release of ARMA then established a pattern that no developer wants to have associated with them.

They needed ARMA2 to be a reasonably solid release in order to break that pattern, and (here's the bizarre part) my understanding was that they were in the relatively rare position of having the financial luxury to be able to take their time.

Think what another six months of solid QA work might have achieved for both the short and long term. (i.e. for this game, and for their reputation as a developer, and consequently all their future games).

ARMA2 will probably end up being fantastic, but people do remember when the same people keep on burning them. How many of their fans are they alienating by doing this? How many of them will just give up on buying BI's games on release, and pick them up on sale a year down the track instead?

Maybe I'm mistaken, and they needed to get it out there sooner rather than later, but IF that one review is accurate (and I'm not saying it definitely is; they might be over-reacting), then BI are shooting themselves in the foot here.

Awaiting additional reviews with interest...

This comment was edited on May 28, 2009, 23:01.

May 28, 2009, 22:17
Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 28, 2009, 22:17
May 28, 2009, 22:17

A buggy arma game? Who would've thought?!?! Honestly, this is no surprise, seeing as the first one without the patches was a mess.

May 28, 2009, 22:16
Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 28, 2009, 22:16
May 28, 2009, 22:16

I'm sorry but if you read that entire post, the dev is so obviously spinning and making excuses for the broken single player and other bugs. The mag says in their interview:
PC Games: We had grave issues with the review copy (retail copies). The singleplayer campaign was nearly not playable because of a multitude of problems. Often we reached a checkpoint an nothing happened, enemies didn't shoot at us, or objectives got solved/failed without us even knowing of it. What went wrong? Did no Beta-Tester find these problems? How was it possible that such a buggy, not-ready version got into the mastering lab
anyway?
Those descriptions are the descriptions of a broken game. And the guy who answers the question spins the reality. Maybe it's not the dev's fault but come on. This is blatant spinning and I can't believe some people don't see it. The dev is making excuses for the release state of their game before it's available to buy. Isn't that kind of unprecedented?

Well at least the germans will beta test the game and the one that's released in NA will be better for it. But let's call a spade a spade.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2009, 22:17.

May 28, 2009, 22:02
Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 28, 2009, 22:02
May 28, 2009, 22:02

Bugs or otherwise, at least the devs talk to the community and try to fix things.

I can't wait to pick this one up.

May 28, 2009, 21:58
Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 28, 2009, 21:58
May 28, 2009, 21:58

I expected to hear this game had a bunch of bugs, that really a bummer. However I'm still BUYING this game when it's released purely because I love these types of games & developers just dont make them enough for me.

I think the bugs do not kill the open nature of the game and that sheer scope, amount of content or beautiful country of Chernarus will more than compensate for these issues.

Sounds like a cool game still, does anyone know the U.S. drop date?
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older