City of Heroes MA Exploits to End

City of Villains Community Forums have word from Matt "Positron" Miller that they are going to be addressing abuse of the new Mission Architect system for City of Heroes with a "zero-tolerance" policy to end the mass exploitation that's been going on (thanks David). Word is: "Some of you have taken the stance of 'how does powerlevelling hurt the game?' and 'shouldn’t I be able to play the game the way that I want?' What we want to make clear is in order to keep the game fair, balanced, and challenging, we have to maintain a risk:reward ratio. This is a ratio we’ve spent years attempting to achieve. Mission Architect is not immune to this, and we are taking swift action to see that the problems players are seeing and are being exposed to are remedied."
View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End
May 6, 2009, 22:02
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 6, 2009, 22:02
May 6, 2009, 22:02

I am so tired of hearing these controlling devs and players talk about fair and balanced and doing what's right.

Please just shut up. It's a FUCKING GAME. A FUCKING GAME.

It's a fucking game to the players, but to the developers it's their jobs, their paychecks, the roofs over their families head. It actually is serious business to them. It's very serious business. It's multi-million dollar serious.

In the absolute worst case scenario, the game implodes and shuts down tomorrow. All of the players get to save $15 a month. All of the developers get to go on unemployment, stress about making their bills, and hope they can find another job soon.

You go invest millions of dollars into a project with 50+ employees dependent on the company continuing to exist and see if you can still think of it as just a fucking game.

May 6, 2009, 15:51
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 6, 2009, 15:51
May 6, 2009, 15:51

Honestly I have no clue what Champions Online has to offer (will find out later today) but at this point in time, if it offers a balanced gameplay experience and gets rid of this stupid easy farming issues that face CoH/CoV I'm all for it.

Well I agree with you that MA is nothing but a headache. Except for SG night, it's CoH vacation time for me.

I'm harboring a healthy skepticism about CO, especially since they've got a release date in about 7 weeks and are still goofing around with closed beta. Then again, Jack Emmeret is running the show so anything could happen. If it's too much fun, he can always nerf it later.

May 6, 2009, 11:04
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 6, 2009, 11:04
May 6, 2009, 11:04

I am so tired of hearing these controlling devs and players talk about fair and balanced and doing what's right.

Please just shut up. It's a FUCKING GAME. A FUCKING GAME.

May 6, 2009, 10:19
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 6, 2009, 10:19
May 6, 2009, 10:19

Thats City of Heroes/Villains (CoX) lol.

And I'm sorry that you feel that way Half Elf, though I am boggled you are trying to doom a company to failure simply because I4 made it easy(er) to farm/power level. The game cannot have a 'very short lifespan' as it hit the 5th anniversary last week.

That and it's not like farming or powerleveling is anything NEW. It is easier with I14 to be sure, but the previous system (of using newspaper/radio band missions to get 'kill named' missions and rushing to the end, avoiding all the mobs, to kill the name boss, rinse repeat. Worked pretty damn well as well. Before that it was teaming with high level players without SKing. Before that it was farm AVs (Arch-Villains for those of you who don't play COX. Remember the Christmas snowmen? I gained several levels every time they came around, and you ALWAYS kept your eyes open for special AV's to appear in various zones. Not only where they a blast, but great.. great xp. Unfortunately they nerfed giant AV's so now nobody goes after the Kraken, or the Clockwork King, or Lusca in IP. Hell since Inventions hardly nobody even does Hami anymore (IO's are simply better for the most part.) And before even THAT, the power-leveling system was getting your Fire/Fire Tanker buddy to team and mass pull mobs in various zones. 40+ enemies at a time = huge xp.

So farming/power leveling in CoX is a long tradition that the devs have stopped or nerfed (I miss giant AV fights so much,) over and over and over. I14 and MEOW missions are no different.

Besides, I14 is a blast, a few sour apples (MEOW missions,) shouldn't spoil the whole bunch. There are some astoundingly well made and fun player-made story-arcs made since I14. With new tools coming in with I15 (which should be on the test server by the end of the month,) it will be easier to report and have these farming missions removed.

ChO (Champions Online, some use simply CO,) is a solid game, but in ways very similar from CoX, in other ways vastly different. I find it very fun but it certainly doesn't replace CoX for me. In fact I'm playing more of CoH/V now then ever before.

You are lucky though, the testing hours have expanded greatly, the previous few hours twice a week was killing me. :p That and the city is being tested for the first time today!

This comment was edited on May 6, 2009, 10:37.

May 6, 2009, 03:05
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 6, 2009, 03:05
May 6, 2009, 03:05

Has nothing to do with pride, but at the rate Paragon Studios is under-utilizing CoH/CoV, and adding more crap to the game to make it stupid easy, I hope it has a very short lifespan.

I'm more pissed about how stupid easy 'the grind' was in CoH, and yet they keep adding more stuff to make it easier. Like yourself I earned all my 50's and it use to be a pride thing to be a 50. But since PI was introduced, all it's been is farm farm farm. I14 had some horribly glaring issues where a player could farm to 50 in roughly 12 hours of gameplay.

Honestly I have no clue what Champions Online has to offer (will find out later today) but at this point in time, if it offers a balanced gameplay experience and gets rid of this stupid easy farming issues that face CoH/CoV I'm all for it.

May 6, 2009, 02:35
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 6, 2009, 02:35
May 6, 2009, 02:35

You love cox?

Am I on the correct message board?

This comment was edited on May 6, 2009, 02:36.

May 6, 2009, 00:24
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 6, 2009, 00:24
May 6, 2009, 00:24

I call bullshit. Many moons ago it was 'risk vs reward' and that time passed long ago.

Farming was bad enough in PI, but now Atlas Park is a major farm zone. Create a toon, start in the zone and just head into a farm to 50.

Champions Online and DC Universe Online aren't going to kill City of Heroes/Villians, Paragon Studios is doing a damn fine job of it already.

Just got my Champions Online invite today, servers are up tomorrow, good riddance CoH, please go die in a corner quietly.

Hehe I gotta chuckle. We'll see how you feel tomorrow night. I'm in ChO beta, and I also sub to CoX. Love CoX.

May 6, 2009, 00:20
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 6, 2009, 00:20
May 6, 2009, 00:20

I think some of the older generation of MMOs (the ones from 2000 or so) were not like the modern MMO, in that there is today an expectation of grinding up to the maximum without inordinate amounts of effort. I don't think it was expected, then, that most players would hit the level cap easily, if ever. "Grinding" usually means leveling up for the sake of leveling up, being stronger, and finally being able to do stuff, not the natural progression of your level as you play the game. Of course, people would argue that the grind is the entire point of an MMO, since the player always has his eyes firmly set on that next level (except for, again, games with relatively quick level progression).

May 5, 2009, 23:41
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 5, 2009, 23:41
May 5, 2009, 23:41

Whenever CoH is mentioned here, someone always says it has "the worst grind" which makes no sense to me because I spent 3 years playing PSO and only got to 183 (halfway xp-wise to the cap of 200) and at one time spent 2+ hours a night for over three months grinding for a hat in RO. (which I never got)

My first character in CoH got to 50 in one year of casual play, my second got there in 12 weeks of less casual play and my third took 2 weeks. After that I stopped bothering to get characters to 50.

What is it you find especially grindy about ye olde CoH?

This comment was edited on May 5, 2009, 23:49.

May 5, 2009, 23:26
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 5, 2009, 23:26
May 5, 2009, 23:26

Maybe people wouldn't be doing this if the grind in CoX wasn't the worst of any MOG ever.

And I think CO will be more of the same crap.

DCUO looks good, and don't count out Marvel's MOG. They were wise to stop Cryptic from destroying their IP.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

May 5, 2009, 22:23
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 5, 2009, 22:23
May 5, 2009, 22:23

Enjoy your CO, The Half Elf. Hope it's half as good as your pride says it must be.

May 5, 2009, 21:37
Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 5, 2009, 21:37
May 5, 2009, 21:37

I call bullshit. Many moons ago it was 'risk vs reward' and that time passed long ago.

Farming was bad enough in PI, but now Atlas Park is a major farm zone. Create a toon, start in the zone and just head into a farm to 50.

Champions Online and DC Universe Online aren't going to kill City of Heroes/Villians, Paragon Studios is doing a damn fine job of it already.

Just got my Champions Online invite today, servers are up tomorrow, good riddance CoH, please go die in a corner quietly.
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older