Out of the Blue

The topic of Sniglets and their short-lived impact on pop culture came up recently, and then coincidentally a couple of days later I came up with what I think is a useful one. There are times when you pause your DVR for whatever reason, but then don't realize you have some time-shifting slack until a commercial airs, when you experience "serenskipity."

Skipped Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Links: 123 games with untapped franchise potential.
Stories: The taste of dog food- It's harder than you think to identify. Thanks Neatorama.
Merck Makes Phony Peer-Review Journal. Thanks Slashdot.
Tiananmen- Twenty years on, the flame burns on.
Media: Experts Agree Giant, Razor-Clawed Bioengineered Crabs Pose No Threat. Thanks Kxmode.
Rainn Wilson as Macgyver.
Cincinnati`s Real-Life Masked Super Hero.
Follow-up: Dedicated to the Youraaagh! (The other famous movie scream). NSFW. The other Wilhelm.
View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: more short-lived pop culture crap
May 4, 2009, 12:52
Kxmode

Re: more short-lived pop culture crap May 4, 2009, 12:52
May 4, 2009, 12:52
 Kxmode

"If they ever come up with a swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be laughing, then jumping off something."

Don't forget the course in posing.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: Out of the Blue
May 4, 2009, 10:28
nin

Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2009, 10:28
May 4, 2009, 10:28
 nin

Second thread hijack - today is my level up day. Party Still going to work, though....

Happy Birthday, dude!

May 4, 2009, 09:42
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2009, 09:42
May 4, 2009, 09:42

Thread hijack!

Guess I'm now officially a radio star, of sorts...

Congrats! Good luck getting more airplay!

Second thread hijack - today is my level up day. Party Still going to work, though....

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

May 4, 2009, 06:27
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2009, 06:27
May 4, 2009, 06:27

Like the new Blue's logo. More PC classics please.

Re: more short-lived pop culture crap
May 3, 2009, 23:27
Re: more short-lived pop culture crap May 3, 2009, 23:27
May 3, 2009, 23:27

More Jack Handey....

"If they ever come up with a swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be laughing, then jumping off something."

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said. "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late."

"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

and my all time fave....

"Sometimes when I feel like killing someone, I do a little trick to calm myself down. I'll go over to the persons house and ring the doorbell. When the person comes to the door, I'm gone, but you know what I've left on the porch? A jack-o-lantern with a knife stuck in the side of it's head with a note that says "You." After that I usually feel a lot better, and no harm done."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

May 3, 2009, 21:40
Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2009, 21:40
May 3, 2009, 21:40

Thread hijack!

Guess I'm now officially a radio star, of sorts... Northampton Mass Appeal radio program asked me to send 'em some mp3s of music so they could play it on valleyfreeradio. Heard one of my songs tonight at about 8:45pm eastern. Okay, it's a small station out in the middle of MA but it was exciting...

Back to gaming... I haven't jumped into GW in many, many moons. Is it as empty as I think it is?

Dan =0)

Re: The taste of dog food
May 3, 2009, 18:13
Enahs

Re: The taste of dog food May 3, 2009, 18:13
May 3, 2009, 18:13
 Enahs

No fucking wonder they had a hard time identifying the dog food, look what kind of shit they had to compare it with.

Read the description of those foods and then go read the description of a can of Fancy Feast Cat food. They are the same fucking thing.

It is hilarious that you can convince rich people to eat shitty food if you make it cost a lot of money and tell them it is delectable and only for the upper class.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

The taste of dog food
May 3, 2009, 18:07
The taste of dog food May 3, 2009, 18:07
May 3, 2009, 18:07

The five samples came from a wide price range and were processed to have a similar consistency. The foods were duck liver mousse, pork liver pâté, two imitation pâtés -- pureed liverwurst and Spam -- and Newman's Own dog food.
No fucking wonder they had a hard time identifying the dog food, look what kind of shit they had to compare it with.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

serenskipity
May 3, 2009, 17:35
Kxmode

serenskipity May 3, 2009, 17:35
May 3, 2009, 17:35
 Kxmode

I heard 8 out of 10 households suffer does this debilitating disease.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

more short-lived pop culture crap
May 3, 2009, 16:47
more short-lived pop culture crap May 3, 2009, 16:47
May 3, 2009, 16:47

i always liked the "deep thoughts" by jack handy.. heres a good one:

Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me. Then it wouldn’t seem quite so funny.

May 3, 2009, 14:47
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2009, 14:47
May 3, 2009, 14:47
 Prez

LMAO at the Crabs news story.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 3, 2009, 13:55
Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2009, 13:55
May 3, 2009, 13:55

While I find it funny that we have our own masked superhero here, I guess someone has to do something since as far as I know Cincinnati Police is still on their "silent protest" after the 2001 riots and I can't blame em. If I got in trouble for doing my job and got in trouble for not doing my job, at least by not doing my job I don't expend effort to get in trouble.
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older