Lost Planet 2 PC?

Kotaku reports on plans for a Lost Planet 2 demo that will be released for Xbox 360 around the time of E3 (the beginning of June). The story also touches on the possibility the third-person shooter sequel will be released on other platforms; the chance of a PS3 version is left open, and the fact that the game was being demoed on a PC was offered as a hint by Capcom's Jun Takeuchi, who says: "It is running off a PC now, so there may be something we can announce fairly shortly"
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Lost Planet 2 PC?
Apr 29, 2009, 12:09
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 29, 2009, 12:09
Apr 29, 2009, 12:09

There's always a consequence for dying: If you get killed by something, you have to try again.

Except that consequence isn't strong enough. If I know that I'll lose only minimal progress if I die, I won't really care about dying.

So what's the point of starting me 10 minutes ago to trudge through stuff I already know I can defeat just to get back up to the enemy that killed me the last time?

If you're playing a horror or stealth game, you shouldn't be defeating anyone with ease.

That's not beneficial to the experience, that's just boring all the way up until the final area where I died.

All the more pressure not to die, hence the increased tension and suspense.

Apr 29, 2009, 05:44
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 29, 2009, 05:44
Apr 29, 2009, 05:44

Do you play stealth or horror games? Those games really suffer from quicksave because there's no consequence for dying. If you die, you just load the save you made 10 seconds ago. Any game that relies on tension or suspense benefits greatly from a checkpoint system.

I play tons of horror games. There's always a consequence for dying: If you get killed by something, you have to try again. Your quicksave doesn't start you past what killed you. The problem still exists. So what's the point of starting me 10 minutes ago to trudge through stuff I already know I can defeat just to get back up to the enemy that killed me the last time? That's not beneficial to the experience, that's just boring all the way up until the final area where I died. Reloading a quicksave starts me right there at the conflict.

On the other hand, not having a quicksave, dying and knowing I've lost so much progress DOES in fact kill the mood and immersion. When there's no quicksave system I'm just constantly thinking about where the next checkpoint is - that's not immersive. With quicksave it's nearly subconscious, I just tap the button every now and then without even thinking about it. It's just another button to press when pressing reload before walking through a door and the immersion never breaks.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2009, 05:49.

Apr 28, 2009, 21:19
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 21:19
Apr 28, 2009, 21:19

The problem is that free-saving... reduces immersion

Yes, a floating Save Point just screams reality.

Apr 28, 2009, 20:24
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 20:24
Apr 28, 2009, 20:24

I've never found a checkpoint system to be a game enhancing feature, nor a quicksave to be detrimental to the immersion.

Do you play stealth or horror games? Those games really suffer from quicksave because there's no consequence for dying. If you die, you just load the save you made 10 seconds ago. Any game that relies on tension or suspense benefits greatly from a checkpoint system. Operation Flashpoint wouldn't have been nearly as intense if it had quicksave.

It boils down to convenience v.s. experience.

Apr 28, 2009, 17:47
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 17:47
Apr 28, 2009, 17:47

The problem is that free-saving reduces any tension, reduces immersion, reduces difficulty and provides less consistency.

I think it's more about free-saving being bad than checkpoints being good. As I said, I like the approach taken by Sands Of Time and GRID - there is still tension but you lose the punishment factor of checkpoints. Games are about consequences, which makes it silly to put in a system that allows you to not worry about that.

Exactly... it's a game mechanics issue, I feel quick save ruins tension and challenge and immersion, just as you said.

Apr 28, 2009, 17:31
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 17:31
Apr 28, 2009, 17:31

I've never found a checkpoint system to be a game enhancing feature, nor a quicksave to be detrimental to the immersion.

VIVA QUICKSAVE!

Apr 28, 2009, 17:16
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 17:16
Apr 28, 2009, 17:16

I agree. Games like Half-Life 2 seem to have no problem using a quick-save feature along with auto-saving at certain points. It's all about providing the maximum enjoyment. Not everyone has the same gaming skill and experience. Some may not find it fun to fight through 6 mechs and an army of aliens just to get to a Save Point.
The problem is that free-saving reduces any tension, reduces immersion, reduces difficulty and provides less consistency.

You don't like quick-save, fine; don't play the game. But trying to convince someone that checkpoints are better than quick-saves (or vice-versa) is just plain asinine.
I think it's more about free-saving being bad than checkpoints being good. As I said, I like the approach taken by Sands Of Time and GRID - there is still tension but you lose the punishment factor of checkpoints. Games are about consequences, which makes it silly to put in a system that allows you to not worry about that.

I think Far Cry 2 was close to a decent system but missed the ball slightly. Basically you have a buddy-rescue system whereby when you rest in a safe house a buddy will arrive and then the next time you lose all your health they will rescue you and fight by your side for a brief period. You also have save locations, in safe houses and in key structures. If they'd have allowed 2 buddies to be on standby and removed free-saving then it would have put more emphasis on consequences but still allowed the player some forgiveness for doing badly. I just think the balance between reward and punishment is off with free-saving and I don't think always giving the gamer what they claim to want is a good thing. I'd rather a developer have a coherent vision and stick to it than cave to people's expectations.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Apr 28, 2009, 17:08
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 17:08
Apr 28, 2009, 17:08

The point isn't that one is better than the other, it's some games are not well suited to each specific type.

Apr 28, 2009, 16:53
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 16:53
Apr 28, 2009, 16:53

The best solution is to let the player decide, how he wants to play. You don't want to be tempted to use quicksave? No problem, go the options menu and turn this feature off. Again, how hard can it be to do that?

I agree. Games like Half-Life 2 seem to have no problem using a quick-save feature along with auto-saving at certain points. It's all about providing the maximum enjoyment. Not everyone has the same gaming skill and experience. Some may not find it fun to fight through 6 mechs and an army of aliens just to get to a Save Point.

Quick save is stupid, and I say that as a lifelong PC gamer of 20+ years. It removes all challenge and pacing and makes you focus on saving when you should be focused on playing the game. In an open-world game like Fallout 3 it has its place, definately, but in most games (like Lost Planet) it does not.

That's the problem with many of the comments here. Opinions are presented as fact. You don't like quick-save, fine; don't play the game. But trying to convince someone that checkpoints are better than quick-saves (or vice-versa) is just plain asinine. It's like trying to convince someone of their favorite color:

"Nah, dude, blue is not your favorite color. Yellow should be, it's better."

Huh?

Apr 28, 2009, 16:09
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 16:09
Apr 28, 2009, 16:09

Well, according to me, it ruins my game experience, when i'm forced to use savepoints. I buy the game, i play the game, so it's MY descision, how i want to save in the game. It's not that hard, is it?

You don't design the game so no it's not your decision. As a consumer you can make a decision not to purchase a title. You can decide to bitch about it on forums and to the devs. Ultimately though it is the developer's decision how they intend someone to experience the product and quick save does not always jive with that. Sometimes developers intend for there to be consequences for player decisions and other games are not intended for all of the content to be experienced in a single playthru.

Apr 28, 2009, 16:00
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 16:00
Apr 28, 2009, 16:00

If its a dedicated PC build I'm happy but Capcom is notorious for putting out abysmal PC ports.

Uh, Capcom just recently started doing PC ports and they have done an AWESOME job at it. Lost Planet and Devil May Cry 4 has amazing PC versions that were easily the superior versions of the game.

Maybe you were thinking of those horrible ports of Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 3, which were done by Ubisoft, not capcom.

1. It is MY descision, how i want to play a singeplayer game
2. If its too hard or too easy, i use another difficulty setting

Far Cry is already the child of this growing, annoying habbit, to tell the player, how he has to save his game progress.

Uhhh... what are you talking about? Of course it's the developer's choice, not yours... they are presenting you the game, and they make their decisions on what they think is best for the game, like a movie director.

Quick save is stupid, and I say that as a lifelong PC gamer of 20+ years. It removes all challenge and pacing and makes you focus on saving when you should be focused on playing the game. In an open-world game like Fallout 3 it has its place, definately, but in most games (like Lost Planet) it does not.

I will say though that when a company screws up and makes BAD checkpoints, like very few or during a story segment, it is pretty lame.

Apr 28, 2009, 15:51
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 15:51
Apr 28, 2009, 15:51

Checkpoints are a design choice that has a huge impact on a game's intensity and suspense. The developers are trying to convey a certain experience and checkpoints may been fundamental to this experience.

When you watch a film, you don't get the choice to change the ending or length of the film because those are conscious design choices.

Apr 28, 2009, 15:46
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 15:46
Apr 28, 2009, 15:46

What you must take into account is that saving anywhere completely nerfs the difficulty of a game.

1. It is MY descision, how i want to play a singeplayer game
2. If its too hard or too easy, i use another difficulty setting

Far Cry is already the child of this growing, annoying habbit, to tell the player, how he has to save his game progress.

I think the best solution...

The best solution is to let the player decide, how he wants to play. You don't want to be tempted to use quicksave? No problem, go the options menu and turn this feature off. Again, how hard can it be to do that?

Apr 28, 2009, 15:28
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 15:28
Apr 28, 2009, 15:28

A simple quicksave feature, action games on the PC used to have before the console cancer.
It's a design decision and isn't related to console development. The original Far Cry - a through and through PC game - used checkpoints. Annoying? Sure, but it did make you approach things differently. At the end of the day it comes down to how close they are and how often you come across them. If they miles apart and there are huge obstacles inbetween then obviously they're going to be annoying. What you must take into account is that saving anywhere completely nerfs the difficulty of a game.

I think the best solution is the limited rewind functionality of games like GRID and POP Sands Of Time, where a few mistakes won't cost you but too many and you have to try again. It makes the experience more enjoyable, at least for me.

Apr 28, 2009, 15:04
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 15:04
Apr 28, 2009, 15:04

Saving where you like can ruin the gameplay for certain titles(according to developers)

Well, according to me, it ruins my game experience, when i'm forced to use savepoints. I buy the game, i play the game, so it's MY descision, how i want to save in the game. It's not that hard, is it?

I can remember DOS games and Windows 95 titles without that functionality.

I too, but there were few. And devs tend to patch-in a quicksave feature, because people were pissed. Like in AvP 1.

Apr 28, 2009, 14:52
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 14:52
Apr 28, 2009, 14:52

If its a dedicated PC build I'm happy but Capcom is notorious for putting out abysmal PC ports.

lets pray
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Apr 28, 2009, 14:33
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 14:33
Apr 28, 2009, 14:33

Saving where you like can ruin the gameplay for certain titles(according to developers). It's a design decision and not limited to console games. I can remember DOS games and Windows 95 titles without that functionality.

Apr 28, 2009, 13:24
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 13:24
Apr 28, 2009, 13:24

I expect this to have all the faults that PC ports typically have.

I expect this to have all the faults the predecessor port had ...
For example, i would enjoy quicksave. A simple quicksave feature, action games on the PC used to have before the console cancer. Save where you like, when you like and NOT, when the devs gracefully allow you to save.

Apr 28, 2009, 12:57
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 12:57
Apr 28, 2009, 12:57

I expect this to have all the faults that PC ports typically have.

Doesn't matter. Lost Planet was nothing special.

Apr 28, 2009, 12:50
Re: Lost Planet 2 PC? Apr 28, 2009, 12:50
Apr 28, 2009, 12:50

Good news. The original was pretty fun, if not particularly deep.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older