Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Six Days in Fallujah Dropped

MCV has word that Konami has dropped Six Days in Fallujah, the controversial Iraq War project in the works at Atomic Games. "After seeing the reaction to the videogame in the US and hearing opinions sent through phone calls and e-mail, we decided several days ago not to sell it," is the statement they received from Konami, which goes on to say. "We had intended to convey the reality of the battles to players so that they could feel what it was like to be there."

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 14:45 Boston

The game itself isn't what's controversial. It's the way they chose to market it. The PR crowd has been hyping this game up as authentic and realistic portrayal of a real event at Iraq, even hiring real veterans to come up on stage and talk about the game,
but the game itself is just a typical shooter and there's absolutely nothing "real" about it. The PR people are doing a disservice to veterans everywhere by claiming this is what it's like to be in Iraq

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 14:10  dsmart 

I think the public opinion is bullshit. Period.

What? You can read books, articles etc about it, watch is around the clock 24-7 on CNN and yet you can't go anywhere near it as a game piece?

I mean, we're not talking playing as Nazi's here. But I guess since being American and running around killing Nazi's is OK, the insurgent bastards in Iraq are our friends now?

This is just bullshit. And as with everything, it is the vocal minority who make the most noise.

I don't think this outcry has anything to do with the game because I'm quite certain that the folks at Konami saw this coming a mile away when they signed (or had it made if they owned the IP) on to tackle the game. They went and ruined it by talking up realism bullshit (which even the excellent America's Army takes liberties with). Now its blown up in their face.

I guess doing another game set in a fictitious world - like everyone else - was too much a stretch. But no, they had to go and invite controversy knowing full well that they - not being the likes of Take Two - couldn't hack it all the way to the end.

They caved. Pure and simple. Nothing to do with the game, which I'm sure would have paled against the likes of COD-MW2, OFP2, AA2 and everything else in between. ALL of which are coming out within the same time frame.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

27. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 13:53 Endo

@ Cutter:

I agree. This is way too soon to be releasing a game based on that. Heck, even Vietnam is still a sore subject for some people. Maybe in 30-40 years it might be ok to make this game, but definitely not now.

26. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 13:38 Cutter

This is the right thing to do. And it you don't like it you know what you can do to yourself as well as the horse you rode in on.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

25. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 12:43 CptStern

lol at "liebral" agenda preventing this game from coming out.

look at all the damed hippy liebrals:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/microsoft/5119042/Xbox-game-based-on-Iraq-conflict-battle-angers-veterans.html

God forbid, something comes out that is realistic

lol:

Immediately it was apparent that Six Days is not aiming for a very realistic take on modern warfare. I never did imagine that Atomic would create a plodding, Operation Flashpoint-esque shooter in the sacrifice of action-packed combat. But considering the extensive marketing on the point of realism, I certainly didn't expect to see soldiers running out into the middle of the street during a firefight, taking a half-dozen bullets in the chest, and then regenerating their health safely behind cover. Not in a planned demonstration for press, at least.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1110

24. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 12:39 Elessar

InBlack - Well said Johnny Mullet, fuck freedom of speech the armed forces need to be sanctified!
Kedyn - I guess the First Amendment only matters when you're expressing a certain viewpoint.
No one infringed on anyone's right to free speech. This was canceled due to the overwhelming amount of people exercising their right to free speech to complain about it. As far as I know, there were no legal ramifications that stopped this from being made, so bringing the law into this isn't accurate.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2009, 12:43.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

23. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 12:33 Kedyn

This is such bullshit.

People today are such pussies.

I guess the First Amendment only matters when you're expressing a certain viewpoint. God forbid, something comes out that is realistic, and MIGHT show the military and/or the United States in a POSITIVE way, rather than another smear piece. But it's ok to say whatever you want, as long as it has a liberal slant on it.

Anyway, it's not like we need any more pro-US propaganda.

Really? Name something other than FOX News that is consistently pro-US. Most of what I see or hear on TV or the internet is certainly not pro-US.

It would be refreshing for someone on television, for once, to say something NICE about America, or talk about how they're PROUD to be American, rather than talk about how horrible our country is and how guilty we should feel for being a part of it.

22. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 12:12 Phangan

even if i dont care about any of their games. on the principle its dumb. there is realistic games for world war I / II, vietnam, gulf war, afghan, not counting the numerous semi/fictional titles. but all the sudden its a big no no for this title.  

21. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 12:10 CptStern

"We had intended to convey the reality of the battles to players so that they could feel what it was like to be there."

is that why there's health regeneration? is that why players can take a few bullets to the chest and still keep playing? is this was passes for "feeling what it was like"?

this was a stupid idea to begin with, glad they pulled the plug

20. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 12:03 Ecthelion

What really annoys me though is that publishers cave in to 'public' opinion, regardless of how much of the supposed public actually complained. I don't care if John McVirtuous doesn't like shooting Iraqis in the face, he doesn't have the right to prevent someone creating something relating to that, or to prevent me from possessing it, regardless of how tasteless it may appear.
It was probably just a business decision. Publishers are only interested in this much controversy if the game is guaranteed to sell well, or if they think the controversy will actually improve sales. Since this isn't a Grand Theft Auto, when they started getting negative feedback they decided to cut their losses and move on.

19. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 11:58 Kajetan

I don't see why people complained about this when we have such games as Black Hawn Down, Ethnic Cleansing, Soldier of Fortune, Rapelay, Manhunt and Goering's World War: A Bubblebath Adventure.

People complained about those games too, but mostly AFTER they were released. Capcom wanted to have publicity with their announcement, they got it ... but not exactly the way they wanted it. So they give up. Nobody forced them to do this.

18. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 11:55 PHJF

It doesn't have to be fun. Watching Saving Private Ryan isn't "fun" but it is entertainment.

Are you kidding me??? They kill Vin Diesel! How much more fun can you get?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 11:49  dsmart 

@ Zzet

Indeed. But remember that these decisions are usually made by a committee, not one person. Since marketing and PR are the ones making games these days - not the devs - my guess would be that somebody in marketing figured that they couldn't possible make their money back with this much controversy surrounding the game.

Thats what we know. Probably.

What we don't know are what other elements contributed to this.

Konami may very well have thought the game was "meh" and probably wouldn't be able to compete and so used this as an excuse to get out of the deal. I'm sure that the Call Of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 announcement also had a part to play in this. Once that juggernaut gets released in Q4/09, any one coming with a half-baked game anywhere within six months of it, is going to get creamed.

I don't care either way, since I had no intention of buying nor playing it.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

16. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 11:47 theyarecomingforyou

It was going to be showing you the "horrors of war" but it was still going to be fun? Aren't those two mutually exclusive?
It doesn't have to be fun. Watching Saving Private Ryan isn't "fun" but it is entertainment.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

15. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 11:43 Cutedge

As if running around picking up health packs is more realistic than regenerating health. There's a line between realism and enjoyment, a successful product straddles that line as much as possible without crossing over too much into the former.

And this is what the conundrum of this game was... It was going to be showing you the "horrors of war" but it was still going to be fun? Aren't those two mutually exclusive? War is hell but hell is fun? I'm not sure how you can balance those two aspects which is the major problem games like this have in comparison to other media. You can read a book about something and it's just informative. It's interesting even. However, games have to be fun. So how do you make something like this fun? And if it's fun, doesn't that defeat the entire point of the subject?

14. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 11:27 Zzet

I don't see why people complained about this when we have such games as Black Hawn Down, Ethnic Cleansing, Soldier of Fortune, Rapelay, Manhunt and Goering's World War: A Bubblebath Adventure. Controversy is allowed in all forms of media and yet video games seem to attract much more attention for much less extreme content, which I view as somewhat confusing. Sure, you're interacting with the subject in question as opposed to just watching it, but conditioning sets in effectively with either media.

What really annoys me though is that publishers cave in to 'public' opinion, regardless of how much of the supposed public actually complained. I don't care if John McVirtuous doesn't like shooting Iraqis in the face, he doesn't have the right to prevent someone creating something relating to that, or to prevent me from possessing it, regardless of how tasteless it may appear.

13. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 11:15 Verno

Our troops have regenerating health? Why the fuck is everyone making such a hoopla about the war then?

As if running around picking up health packs is more realistic than regenerating health. There's a line between realism and enjoyment, a successful product straddles that line as much as possible without crossing over too much into the former.

12. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 11:06 DesRed

Can't say I am surprised at this development. Even if you chuck out the controversy surrounding the game, the description given by the devs and some of the screenshots I've seen does come across as kind of derivative.  
"I don't think being interactive gives you fantastic power to change the minds of people and make them do things they'd never think of doing otherwise." -David Cage (Quantic Dream)

11. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 11:06 Cutedge

"We had intended to convey the reality of the battles to players so that they could feel what it was like to be there."

Our troops have regenerating health? Why the fuck is everyone making such a hoopla about the war then?

This game would have been retarded. I don't get why people thought it was going to be some major new art that propels the videogame industry forward. It was going to the modern version of this: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/549/549790p1.html

10. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 11:02 Tumbler

Meh, the game didn't look that great in screenshots and what they were describing sounded like it was years away and possibly above the capabilities of the dev...

Fully destructible terrain is still a major hurdle for devs. I haven't seen anyone deliver it yet but that it not for lack of saying you will. Plenty of very talented places have delivered something like destructible terrain...

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo