Fallout: New Vegas Revealed

MCV has word that Bethesda Softworks has unveiled Fallout: New Vegas, a new RPG set in the Fallout universe being developed by Obsidian (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Never Winter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol). Details are scant for now: Word is the game will use the Fallout 3 engine, but will not be a Fallout 3 sequel, and will be released for PC and consoles next year.
View : : :
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed
Apr 20, 2009, 16:25
Cutter

Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 16:25
Apr 20, 2009, 16:25
 Cutter

WOW doesn't do this for shit and it blows because of it. Remove leveling, simply add skillsets that you must take time and/or pay to learn. In real life nothing is prohibiting me from learning guitar, archery, shooting assault weapons, driving a car, riding a bike etc etc except time and money.

It's still leveling after a fashion. You still need to chop down X amount of trees to earn those skill points to invest. People enjoy leveling because it provides a more concrete way to track their progress as opposed to a skill based system where skills creep ever upward almost unnoticed. Plus, people love saying DING!

And WoW incorpates both, so what's the problem?

And I really would just like more info on what this game is actually about. I don't like the idea of Vegas as a backdrop - particularly after New Reno's already been done.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Apr 20, 2009, 16:18
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 16:18
Apr 20, 2009, 16:18

No, it won't. Anything and everything that goes wrong even by the slightest of margins is going to be blamed on Bethesda because Bethesda "forced" Obsidian to do this or that. The hate for Bethesda is going to get even worse because knowing Obsidian the game will be very buggy but it will all be Bethesda's fault, of course. A stupid design decision? Bethesda's fault. Poorly balanced content? Bethesda's fault. And so on and so on ad infinitum...

Yeah, I think you're probably right about that...

Creston

Apr 20, 2009, 16:04
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 16:04
Apr 20, 2009, 16:04

Fallout 3: Kotor 2 edition? Wonder if we finally get to visit the droid planet city of synthetic people this time.

Apr 20, 2009, 15:53
Prez

Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 15:53
Apr 20, 2009, 15:53
 Prez

Fallout 3 turned out far better than I was expecting, I will say that. Admittedly my interest in this went up a bit because of the name Obsidian being in there. As soon as I hear that the game can only be obtained through Games for Windows Live, however, it will completely fall off my radar. Hopefully that won't happen.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 20, 2009, 15:28
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 15:28
Apr 20, 2009, 15:28

fallout 3 did have bugs. i've read of people who haven't been able to even play the game 6 months after release. i personally have had to abandon 2 games with ~75 hours of gameplay in them because of bugs. the first game was ~15 hours long and gfwl fucked something up. the second game was ~60 hours long and the 1.4 patch (which was supposed to do almost nothing) managed to change my stable, unmodded, working game into crash-to-desktop-within-2-minutes of entering the game world. saves wouldn't work, new games wouldn't work, nothing would last more than a couple of minutes. and since it was a steam purchase, i can't even go back to 1.3 and play my game unless i torrent it.

so to the dumbass who stated that it was a fact that the game was nearly flawless, you wanna tell me the story of the main quest? i'm still at the part where the guy in megaton wants you to go to the galaxy radio station.
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

Apr 20, 2009, 15:21
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 15:21
Apr 20, 2009, 15:21

I wonder why they never thought of something like this before. The construction kit that Bethesda ships with it's games is easy to pick up and powerful enough that talented fans can make mods with it that are superior in many ways to Bethesda's own efforts. By effectively giving a world building kit to Obsidian they capitalise on Obsidian's talents in storytelling and character building while negating their unfortunate tendency to produce buggy-as-shit games.

Apr 20, 2009, 14:58
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 14:58
Apr 20, 2009, 14:58

Is the online game that we have heard rumors about?

They want you to pay a monthly fee for bugs and more bugs. No thanks!

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2009, 14:59.

Apr 20, 2009, 14:52
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 14:52
Apr 20, 2009, 14:52

Someone mentioned earlier that because of the scale of FO3, there's a lot of room for forgiveness. I'm sorry, but no way. This is Bethesda's third open-world game and they are still extremely buggy.

Listen up, retard. I know this counting stuff on one hand is some really tough shit for you but it's actually at least their fourth open world game (Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3). 'At least' because I have no idea about Arena. I can't remember if that one was open world as well. If so then FO3 is their fifth obviously.
Secondly, to call Bethesda's latest "extremely buggy" games just proves that you have not played any of the games. Daggerfall was a buggy mess. Yes. But Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 (excluding the DLC for the latter) were nearly flawless releases. That's a fact.

Wasn't there a community patch for Oblivion that fixed over a 1000 bugs!?

Yeah. But 99.684% of those "bugs" were just spelling mistakes and very minor cosmetic issues. There are dozens upon dozens of fan-made patches that sport a similarly incredible number of "bug" fixes. That's because of the spelling and the cosmetic stuff. Fans are like that. They like to fix every little thing. It doesn't surprise me all that much though that a simpleton like you is easily blinded by the BIG numbers. "OMG 1000!!!!!!1111 buuuuuugggggzzzzzzzz!!!!11"

Now STFU and weep. Dumbfuck.

I wonder if the hate that Bethesda got from day 1 will turn into unconditional love now just because Chris Avellone is involved.

No, it won't. Anything and everything that goes wrong even by the slightest of margins is going to be blamed on Bethesda because Bethesda "forced" Obsidian to do this or that. The hate for Bethesda is going to get even worse because knowing Obsidian the game will be very buggy but it will all be Bethesda's fault, of course. A stupid design decision? Bethesda's fault. Poorly balanced content? Bethesda's fault. And so on and so on ad infinitum...

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2009, 14:58.

Apr 20, 2009, 14:23
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 14:23
Apr 20, 2009, 14:23

its not just the level cap, they completely changed the way the SPECIAL system worked, in terms of how you leveled up and how much the skills would do for you

they borked the system, it was fine until then

Apr 20, 2009, 14:21
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 14:21
Apr 20, 2009, 14:21

Sounds like an expansion pack, really... but still awesome news. Obsidian are fine by me, though I know others hate them, and more Fallout so soon is a nice gift.

Also, TES5 shouldn't be delayed since they are farming it out.

Great news.

Apr 20, 2009, 14:08
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 14:08
Apr 20, 2009, 14:08

Talk about milking it.....

I for one think all games should NEVER have Levels. Why? Take Stalker for example. You never had levels (granted you never got skills either which sucked). But leveling is stupid in and of itself. A character should never be impervious, equipment or level wise. The ONLY game that did this well was Ultima Online. Sure you got levels, but your hitpoints never went above 100 nor your skills. You were always vulnerable to a moderately sized mob or skilled group.

So in UO I may be level 50, but 4-6 level 10-15 guys could easily take me down, granted half of them might die. It was great because you always asked yourself "Fuck, should I make this gold run back and forth or get my friends?"

WOW doesn't do this for shit and it blows because of it. Remove leveling, simply add skillsets that you must take time and/or pay to learn. In real life nothing is prohibiting me from learning guitar, archery, shooting assault weapons, driving a car, riding a bike etc etc except time and money.

I totally agree, which is probably why UO was the only MMORPG I ever enjoyed playing.

As for this new expansion, I'll reserve judgment until it arrives, but I'm not holding my breath.

Someone mentioned earlier that because of the scale of FO3, there's a lot of room for forgiveness. I'm sorry, but no way. This is Bethesda's third open-world game and they are still extremely buggy. Wasn't there a community patch for Oblivion that fixed over a 1000 bugs!? What the heck is Bethesda doing all day?

The fact that FO3 was buggy (and the writing was amateurish at best) is further proof of Bethesda's laziness.

Apr 20, 2009, 13:39
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 13:39
Apr 20, 2009, 13:39

UO never had levels - only skills and stats.

Apr 20, 2009, 13:27
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 13:27
Apr 20, 2009, 13:27

Talk about milking it.....

I for one think all games should NEVER have Levels. Why? Take Stalker for example. You never had levels (granted you never got skills either which sucked). But leveling is stupid in and of itself. A character should never be impervious, equipment or level wise. The ONLY game that did this well was Ultima Online. Sure you got levels, but your hitpoints never went above 100 nor your skills. You were always vulnerable to a moderately sized mob or skilled group.

So in UO I may be level 50, but 4-6 level 10-15 guys could easily take me down, granted half of them might die. It was great because you always asked yourself "Fuck, should I make this gold run back and forth or get my friends?"

Apr 20, 2009, 13:23
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 13:23
Apr 20, 2009, 13:23

I didn't mind the level cap. What I minded was that I leveled so fast that unless I strictly did the main mission I'd level cap like 40% through the game. If you're not careful, you can allocate your skills in really pissy ways that never help you.

I recommend to anyone playing to at least get their energy weapons up to a considerable level. Late-game weaponry really favors energy weapons, and without them the game would be much, much harder.

I would have been perfectly happy to have had the leveling take twice as long, *forcing* you to explore if you want to level cap.

Apr 20, 2009, 13:09
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 13:09
Apr 20, 2009, 13:09

So far, Obsidian has released two games that were 70% complete, storywise. Maybe this time they'll actually FINISH one.
Don't forget two expansions (the two NWN2 expansions) that were 100% complete, storywise. I guess they bite off more than they can chew, so they need an expansion to finish the story. Hopefully this game will be more complete.

Apr 20, 2009, 12:59
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 12:59
Apr 20, 2009, 12:59

Doesn't Fallout 1 and 2 actually cap at level 20 also?

FO capped at 21. FO2 had no cap, you could go to 99 if you wanted (though the amount of random encounters you would have had to fight for that is absurd...)

This should be cool, but we'll see. I wonder if the hate that Bethesda got from day 1 will turn into unconditional love now just because Chris Avellone is involved.

So far, Obsidian has released two games that were 70% complete, storywise. Maybe this time they'll actually FINISH one.

Creston

Apr 20, 2009, 12:55
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 12:55
Apr 20, 2009, 12:55

So we finally get a real sequel to Fallout, cool.

Apr 20, 2009, 12:54
SCG
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 12:54
Apr 20, 2009, 12:54
SCG

Doesn't Fallout 1 and 2 actually cap at level 20 also?

Apr 20, 2009, 12:49
DG
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 12:49
Apr 20, 2009, 12:49
DG

IIRC the FO3 ending is going to be revised with the last (next?) of the DLC. As is the level cap.

I thought FO3 was a very good game. It has significant weaknesses, for example the ending and particularly the level cap (dull bits get boring real fast when you're not even levelling), amongst others. But a game on this scale leaves a lot of room for forgiveness IMO.

It does bug me tho that the level cap and ending are being fixed with the last DLC (or was it patch at the same time?). These seem to be fairly minor fixes, not new content, and presumably could have been fixed quickly and without much expense.

Apr 20, 2009, 12:25
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 12:25
Apr 20, 2009, 12:25

F3 seemed to have promise (yeh i played it to the end) for the first 15 hours or so.. however it quickly dissipates and whats left is just sort of a barely adequate action RPG.. i will say the VATS stuff never really got old for me tho, it was fairly humorous all the time

it lacks depth in many many ways.. which you will discover when playing, and btw - dont focus on the main storyline, it takes all of 10 hours tops

its just a shadow of the original IP, unfortunately.. all the modern tech in the world doesnt make a game "good", that comes from the actual content on hand.. and in this case, its pale imitation

and the ending is R E T A R D E D .. altho i heard they revised it somehow in a patch, dunno tho
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older