BioWare Q&A

A Constant Evolution: BioWare's Doctors Talk Present And Future on Gamasutra is a conversation with BioWare co-founders Doctors Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk. Topics include their perspectives on the EA acquisition a year after its completion, their three locations, their upcoming projects, BioWare's emphasis on storytelling, and more.
View : : :
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: BioWare Q&A
Apr 19, 2009, 15:59
Re: BioWare Q&A Apr 19, 2009, 15:59
Apr 19, 2009, 15:59

oh look, EA just opened a new Bioware studio in Montreal! It's called EA-Montreal! It's so awesome... I'm pretty sure that's been the first step in EA's roadmap of every other studio it's killed. First open a new studio. Call it EA - wherever. Shift the top talent from old studio to new studio. Kill old studio.

Well, there are several problems with your statement there. EA Montreal already exists and has been there for a while. BioWare opened a new studio in Montreal called BioWare Montreal. This was a BioWare decision and they are our employees working for us. I think this is where the rest of your statement falls apart as none of what has happened came from any EA items, other than yes, they own BioWare, but Ray and Greg still run the studio.
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

Apr 19, 2009, 08:04
Re: BioWare Q&A Apr 19, 2009, 08:04
Apr 19, 2009, 08:04

Everything they keep talking about is how things have changed and that shallow and quicker is better than longer and deeper. I fear that going forward from this point onward that Bioware - as we knew and loved it - is done.

We are not sure if that view is going to change their design philosophy. Bioware should know well the fact that most people have no problem of them making essentially the same game over and over ever since BG2. They should be smart enough to keep doing the same thing.

Apr 19, 2009, 05:47
Cutter

Re: BioWare Q&A Apr 19, 2009, 05:47
Apr 19, 2009, 05:47
 Cutter

Gee, where are guys like Trip Hawkins and Don Mattrick these days? I used to work for EA under Mattrick before EA was a monolith, and even then you could see the borg-like writing on the wall.

Now I don't fault any company for wanting to get bigger and richer and do right by their investors. Hell, they have a duty to that. But to pretend that there something other than that is offensive. Particularly when it's so obvious to everyone else. It's not like Ray and Greg are unaware. These guys are physicians who loved games and decided to go that route. They didn't need the money, and they didn't need to merge with EA or any other major publisher. They chose to do so, and this is where the difference lay. They did so knowing full well that they would have to compromise, but they'd also get a whole lot richer in the process. So it really comes down to that they're into bread. Cool beans. But don't lie to us. Were they really so principled they would have just sold the company off lock, stock, and barrel, and started a new company - ignoring any non-competition clauses.

Rather, they wouldn't put themselves into that position in the first place. Bioware has some major clout to be sure, but Blizzard they are not. As soon as DA PC edition got pushed back to coincide with the console releases we all saw that writing on the wall.

The last great thing Bioware did was Baldur's Gate. And that wasn't even an IP they owned. Everything in this interview about how massive it will cross-platform and how important the DLC is. Everything they keep talking about is how things have changed and that shallow and quicker is better than longer and deeper. I fear that going forward from this point onward that Bioware - as we knew and loved it - is done. Look what happened to Saruman in the Lord of the Rings.

Raincloud
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 19, 2009, 03:54
Prez

Re: BioWare Q&A Apr 19, 2009, 03:54
Apr 19, 2009, 03:54
 Prez

I'm pretty sure that's been the first step in EA's roadmap of every other studio it's killed. First open a new studio. Call it EA - wherever. Shift the top talent from old studio to new studio. Kill old studio. Turn new studio into 2Kx shovelware producer.

Exactly what I was thinking. But what are they really going to say? EA owns their ass. They aren't going to badmouth them publicly.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 19, 2009, 02:41
Re: BioWare Q&A Apr 19, 2009, 02:41
Apr 19, 2009, 02:41

It's a good interview, even though I think both Ray and Greg are still incredibly naive where their EA merger is concerned (oh look, EA just opened a new Bioware studio in Montreal! It's called EA-Montreal! It's so awesome... I'm pretty sure that's been the first step in EA's roadmap of every other studio it's killed. First open a new studio. Call it EA - wherever. Shift the top talent from old studio to new studio. Kill old studio. Turn new studio into 2Kx shovelware producer. You'll forgive me if I don't share your excitement there, fellas. Although in this case, since EA put so much cash into this acquisition, it'll take a longer time to complete.)

I'm also not really sure they still actually PLAY games that have not been made by their own studio. Really guys? The combination of low and high fantasy is something new?

Still, good interview.

Creston

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2009, 02:48.
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older