No PC Bionic Commando Demo

Shacknews has word from Capcom that PC (and PS3) users should not expect a playable demo for Bionic Commando, for which a multiplayer demo is planned for the Xbox 360. When asked for a reason, Capcom offered "no comment."
View : : :
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No Bio Commando Demo
Apr 21, 2009, 12:45
Re: No Bio Commando Demo Apr 21, 2009, 12:45
Apr 21, 2009, 12:45

I've never seen a game on the Xbox that didn't have a demo. People bitch about the console game prices but at least you can weigh your options beforehand. I would've never bought half of my 360 games if I wasn't able to try them out first. I spend less money on PC games for the same reason. Gaming is expensive enough without having to worry if your new $50+ title is a turd or not.

Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo
Apr 20, 2009, 13:29
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 20, 2009, 13:29
Apr 20, 2009, 13:29

Meanwhile...the 360 version won't HAVE people crying about that. Neither would the PS3, but there's no concrete network setup on there, and it would take them more time than using Xbox Live's setup. So, if YOU ran a company that had time to make a demo for ONE system, which would YOU pick? Don't lie. You'd pick the 360 too.

If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft's 360 policy standard is to have demos for games. One of the things I really applaud them for.

Even Guitar Hero has a demo. I can think of a few games that don't, but are either special cases (I don't remember if Rock Band had a demo or not), or were released pretty early on.

I would imagine that Capcom would rather not release a demo at all, but obligation from MS is forcing them to. This tells me "TURD" in day-glo letters.

In fact, I remember a hands-on from about 6 months ago saying the controls were, more or less, ass.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2009, 13:36.

Apr 17, 2009, 16:16
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 16:16
Apr 17, 2009, 16:16

Of course I will because it's central to the issue, you can't get around that by just saying "oh im sure you will bring this up again" as if it's somehow invalid just because you decide it is. You cannot trust people to all grab free software then rush out to the store to pay full price. If you could then we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

You continue to ignore the negative aspects of what you do and fine, its your life. Maybe you do dash out to the store after pirating Mass Effect and drop $50 on it, I have no idea. I do know that the publisher doesn't see that, the publisher sees their download figures inflate and assume you were a lost sale. They have no way of gauging what is legitimate and what isn't. If they don't provide a demo, don't play their game then. You aren't helping anyone but yourself by pirating it.

If you don't care about the long haul then hey fine, I can respect that. Just don't claim it has no impact, it absolutely has impact and it's being seen right now in the market.

Apr 17, 2009, 15:50
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 15:50
Apr 17, 2009, 15:50

The positive aspect is a game gets purchased and the consumer doesn't get screwed. Furthermore, NKD said earlier he purchases more games trying>buying because otherwise he wouldn't gamble with his money, which would result in him buying less. But I'm sure you'll bring your trust in someone's word into the debate again.

I never brought up bargain bins or purchasing later for a cheaper price, you did.
"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

Apr 17, 2009, 15:25
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 15:25
Apr 17, 2009, 15:25

I'm not feigning ignorance. I know full well what I'm doing, have no qualms about it and I do not consider it wrong. You may and that's where we differ.

Exactly, that's why you're going out of your way to defend and justify it and will never be convinced otherwise. There is no positive aspect to this as you claim, it's wholly negative. Disprove the "theory", let's see it. You'd be better off with that retarded piracy defense of "oh hey guyz its free advertising!", seriously.

Where exactly is the benefit in you bargain binning games you pirated and played? That's assuming you even purchase them at all in the first place. Retailer buys less units of titles that don't sell at full price. Vendor gets less orders from retailer. Show me the money Elassar.

Apr 17, 2009, 15:10
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 15:10
Apr 17, 2009, 15:10

I don't see anyone agreeing with you but I digress.
Read. NKD and Bill Borre brought this topic up and I continued.

That's my point, you haven't really said anything except "I will buy it later" and we've already proved the logical fallacy present there. You just ignore it. It's hard to continue a discussion when you ignore what people are saying and keep saying the same thing over and over. So yeah I guess we're at an impasse.

I can say the same for you. All you're saying is "that it contributes to the problem" and provided what for so called proof? Oh I see, your own personal theory on the matter. You can't even agree to disagree on a matter you're guessing about just as much as I am. Except I know they're getting PAID. I'm not ignoring what you consider "proven", I simply don't agree with you. Get over yourself.

You are part of the problem, not the solution.
Quit focusing solely on the negative aspects of this. I never claimed to be part of any solution, but I do defend that I'm not part of the problem. I'm not saying this approach should be heralded, but it shouldn't be considered thievery, the way you guys make it out to be.

I'm not feigning ignorance. I know full well what I'm doing, have no qualms about it and I do not consider it wrong. You may and that's where we differ.

Apr 17, 2009, 13:44
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 13:44
Apr 17, 2009, 13:44

Likewise, you're missing our point. Myself and others have told you why it doesn't matter when money is exchanged.

I don't see anyone agreeing with you but I digress.

There's not much else to be said on our end either.

That's my point, you haven't really said anything except "I will buy it later" and we've already proved the logical fallacy present there. You just ignore it. It's hard to continue a discussion when you ignore what people are saying and keep saying the same thing over and over. So yeah I guess we're at an impasse.
But there will be nothing for me to remember when I become disappointed with PC gaming, because I don't believe this contributes to the problem the way you guys do. So yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

You are part of the problem, not the solution. Buying a game for $10 when you happened to be browsing BestBuy doesn't help anyone if you pirated it six months ago when it was $50. You are giving publishers the ammo they need to continue using DRM and what's worse is that you're intelligent enough to know the difference but continue feigning ignorance. Fine, everyone has their own set of morals but you have only yourself to blame for the state of the industry - whether you will admit it or not. The buck stops with you, stop trying to act like you're part of some inconsequential market segment to excuse your downloading.

Apr 17, 2009, 13:11
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 13:11
Apr 17, 2009, 13:11

Likewise, you're missing our point. Myself and others have told you why it doesn't matter when money is exchanged. There's not much else to be said on our end either. But there will be nothing for me to remember when I become disappointed with PC gaming, because I don't believe this contributes to the problem the way you guys do. So yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2009, 13:29.

Apr 17, 2009, 12:28
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 12:28
Apr 17, 2009, 12:28

You're completely missing the point if you think you downloading it doesn't matter because you're convinced an insignificant amount of people will pay after pirating it. I don't know what else to say that hasn't been said already. People have told you why it matters, they've told you how it's bad for the gaming industry and they've told you why it's bad for gamers. Short term gain != long term gain. Obviously I can't change your mind but I hope you remember this discussion the next time you are disappointed with PC gaming.

Apr 17, 2009, 12:20
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 12:20
Apr 17, 2009, 12:20

Informative and contains some truth to it. But it's not necessarily on target. If they receive a sale at the end of the day, that's what they want. As I've said before, the honest "pirates" are an insignificant number when it comes to the 100,000 people Dades speaks of. We hardly impact the scene and we're not going to make or break it. So, yes, people who pay have the right to bitch when bad ports come to PCs.

Apr 17, 2009, 10:56
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 10:56
Apr 17, 2009, 10:56

I can't speak for him but if you download a title without paying then you are a pirate. Dades did a good job of laying out the harm it causes but you keep ignoring it and focusing on paying later on or something. Read his post, he says it better than I do and it's very informative.

Apr 17, 2009, 10:01
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 10:01
Apr 17, 2009, 10:01

So your argument(s) is, since you can't trust me, that the scenario of someone trying and then buying is still pirating? Congratulations, you've successfully merged two unrelated topics. I'm talking about a situation where money can be exchanged, refuting the accusation of piracy.

Trust me? Whether or not I do what I'm saying here is not the freakin point.

Let me put it another way since, for some reason, we keep coming back to personal trustworthiness. Dades/Verno, if someone downloads a game, determines that they like it and then purchases it. Do you consider that piracy?

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2009, 10:08.

Apr 17, 2009, 00:30
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 17, 2009, 00:30
Apr 17, 2009, 00:30

Why would anyone trust some dude on the web? That's his point. There is no solid argument that gets around that. Just assume we're all trustworthy gentlemen....well no because that's just ridiculous man. You download it without paying, you pirated it. Whether you view piracy as an immoral thing is a different thing altogether. You downloading a game from the web might not go into some ledger of evil crimes but when 100,000 people download a game, publishers notice. It doesn't do any good for the developers or anyone else if all of the shitty publishers like EA think masses of people are getting stuff for free. You may be satisfying your own personal moral code but you are actively damaging the gaming industry. Maybe you don't care, ok that's cool. Just remember this discussion next time you complain about a bad console port or how developers keep moving over to the consoles.

Piracy isn't a smart way to punish publishers for their mistakes.

Apr 16, 2009, 16:48
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 16, 2009, 16:48
Apr 16, 2009, 16:48

No one can take your word for it. This is Internet, people say a lot of things. I'd like to believe that if my car was unlocked and left alone for 4 days that no one rob it but I lock my car anyways because I understand human nature the same way a bank has a vault for a reason. If you're downloading the game regardless of intentions, you're pirating it. That's the publishers view as well. They have no idea that Elessar from BluesNews.com swore up and down that he was gonna go run out and pay for it later.
Right, but for the sake of what you and I are talking about here, I'm saying I try before I buy and you say I'm pirating. I tell you that I buy it if I like it or discard it if I don't. I'm saying this is a reasonable thing and since money is exchanged, it's not pirating. Whether or not you believe me is not the point. If that's all we discussed, these would be endless, boring personal debates.

Apr 16, 2009, 16:37
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 16, 2009, 16:37
Apr 16, 2009, 16:37

Smart? You bet your ass it's smart. I'm not going to get screwed out of hundreds of dollars a year due to taking some moral high ground. Especially when developers have the balls to release some piece of garbage and stick a $49.99 price tag on it. Who is the one stealing? I'm not the one selling people a turd for $49.99 and not letting them resell or return it.

I don't disagree with any of this but the smarter action is just ignoring the thing entirely. Don't give the game attention, don't spread the word about it and don't download it. You download it, they point to that and say HA DRM is justified because of people like this. No one downloads their shit, talks about it or buys it then they will learn their lesson a lot faster.

I totally agree with you about returning games but it's unfortunately a result of the fact that anyone can make a 100% copy of the game itself. There's no real way around it. With consoles people need to modify the system itself and it requires some technical knowledge so its far less likely. With the PC any system can potentially copy a game with a single piece of software. What makes it worse is that someone can simply write down the key for multiplayer, return the game then the vendor is stuck with the costs associated with it. Vendor demands return from publisher, big mess and more money spent. People have to be paid to deal with those things.

So I sympathize with you but I understand why that situation can't exist right now

Apr 16, 2009, 16:36
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 16, 2009, 16:36
Apr 16, 2009, 16:36

Verno - You can say it's reasonable and I may agree with you but that's not how the industry views it and how the industry views it will determine how many games we get, demos we receive and so on.
Understandable.

theyarecomingforyou - I'm sorry but that excuse just doesn't fly.
With who... you? Does for me and I don't consider myself a pirate. And I'm sure there are lot of people on both sides of the fence.

Where do you draw the line between whether it's worth paying for or not?
That's up to the person and whether they're satisfied with a product or not. Unfortunately the way they have it is it's all or nothing. You have no option to return a game if it's not entertaining or doesn't work. At least with a movie you can rent, or go see one for a fraction of the cost.

Are you honestly saying you've never downloaded a game, completed it and never paid for it?
When I was a punk kid, I did. I consider myself a pirate back then and it was wrong. What I do now versus then is very different and people who earn my money get it.

And what about the games in between, where you play them for several hours but then decide not to buy them? At the end of the day you're getting entertainment for free that you should be paying for.
Like I said before, it's all or nothing with this product. Maybe if they allowed renting or lowered the prices, it would be more reasonable.

You're pirating games... stop trying to pretend you're justified in doing so.
Stop trying to pretend everything is black and white.

Apr 16, 2009, 16:28
NKD
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 16, 2009, 16:28
Apr 16, 2009, 16:28
NKD

I'm sorry but that excuse just doesn't fly. Where do you draw the line between whether it's worth paying for or not?

If I enjoy the game and feel it will give me enough hours of enjoyment for the pricetag. A $19.99 game has to do a LOT less than a $49.99 game to get my purchase. It's very simple math. In buying just about anything else you can do enough research ahead of time to know whether something is worth your money. With games it is always a gamble no matter how many reviews you read, and I got fucking sick of losing that gamble. In addition, PC games cannot be resold for any decent amount of money due to DRM, CD keys and other concerns, so theres no way to recoup your losses in the case of a bad purchase like you could with a car, home, or other product.

Are you honestly saying you've never downloaded a game, completed it and never paid for it?

Oh it's happened. Really short games of course, with no hope for future content or multiplayer to lengthen their lifespan. If I download a $49.99 game to try it out, and its over in 4 hours, it wasn't worth my money to begin ith.

And what about the games in between, where you play them for several hours but then decide not to buy them? At the end of the day you're getting entertainment for free that you should be paying for.

That's one way to look at it, but that's a viewpoint of morality. My viewpoint is this: If I couldn't pirate PC games I'd buy a LOT FEWER GAMES. This is not some BS excuse. This is a 100% true fact about my buying habits. Yes, that's right, the game industry as a whole makes more money off me because I can pirate games. Piracy removes the risk of buying a bad game, because I only buy the good ones. Yeah, a few companies have lost sales because I pirated their game and it sucked. Why should I be obligated to pay them for their shitty game that 1, I did not enjoy. 2) Was not worth the price, and 3) Would not have bought anyway, given the risks of getting a stinker?

You're pirating games... stop trying to pretend you're justified in doing so.

Justified? That's a matter of opinion. Legal? Of course it's not. Smart? You bet your ass it's smart. I'm not going to get screwed out of hundreds of dollars a year due to taking some moral high ground. Especially when developers have the balls to release some piece of garbage and stick a $49.99 price tag on it. Who is the one stealing? I'm not the one selling people a turd for $49.99 and not letting them resell or return it.

You can all waste your money giving half of it to bad developers making bad games, I am going to continue to give it to those who earn it with a good product. If I lose my ability to discern between good and bad games, I will cease buying games. I will not gamble with my money. In the years before I pirated things, I got screwed so often by buying games that got rave reviews, and then realizing they suck. Never again.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Apr 16, 2009, 16:11
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 16, 2009, 16:11
Apr 16, 2009, 16:11

My point is we're not pirating by meaning of the word or by how you used it. We said we pay for it if we like it or discard it if we don't. Plus, you and I established the devs can't accurately determine how piracy affects them anyhow, so there's nothing for them to learn and your statement becomes moot at that point.
I'm sorry but that excuse just doesn't fly. Where do you draw the line between whether it's worth paying for or not? Are you honestly saying you've never downloaded a game, completed it and never paid for it? And what about the games in between, where you play them for several hours but then decide not to buy them? At the end of the day you're getting entertainment for free that you should be paying for. You're pirating games... stop trying to pretend you're justified in doing so.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Apr 16, 2009, 16:04
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 16, 2009, 16:04
Apr 16, 2009, 16:04

If people could just return games this issue wouldn't be so hot. How come if a guy buys a blender and blends human feces in it he can return it to the store and say he wasn't satisfied with it, but a guy who buys a PC game and isn't satisfied is shit out of luck? Once I bought a PC game that had a missing disc and I could still not return it - I had to open it to find out, and that's a no-no if you want an exchange. My options were to take it and like it, send out to the publisher for a replacement disc at a $15 charge, or pirate it. What do you think I did?

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 16:08.
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Apr 16, 2009, 16:00
Re: No PC Bionic Commando Demo Apr 16, 2009, 16:00
Apr 16, 2009, 16:00

My point is we're not pirating by meaning of the word or by how you used it. We said we pay for it if we like it or discard it if we don't. Plus, you and I established the devs can't accurately determine how piracy affects them anyhow, so there's nothing for them to learn and your statement becomes moot at that point.

No one can take your word for it. This is Internet, people say a lot of things. I'd like to believe that if my car was unlocked and left alone for 4 days that no one rob it but I lock my car anyways because I understand human nature the same way a bank has a vault for a reason. If you're downloading the game regardless of intentions, you're pirating it. That's the publishers view as well. They have no idea that Elessar from BluesNews.com swore up and down that he was gonna go run out and pay for it later.

It's a logical flaw that defeats the entire argument in my opinion. You can say it's reasonable and I may agree with you but that's not how the industry views it and how the industry views it will determine how many games we get, demos we receive and so on.
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older