Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Demigod Fix Plans

Demigod PC Games Behind the Scenes - Urgent Issues video on IGN offers a brief tour by Brad Wardell of Stardock's offices in Michigan, showing how they collaborate with Gas Powered Games in Seattle via Skype. Brad discusses the issues they've been experiencing with multiplayer in Demigod since the recent launch of the action/strategy game, and what is being done to fix them going forward. Brad outlines some solutions they are working on, which they hope to roll out by Friday.
View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 17, 2009, 14:58 Verno

You're right, I should move on, but it's the internets. heheh.

Anyhow, I appreciate your ideal. And I wish companies put out perfect products. But what I expect is something else, and it was accounted for when I spent my $43 (tax). You even said it is better than the average.

Some games I'm willing to put up with that, other games I wait a month or two and buy if it is patched.

Anyhow, have a good nite. Good chattin'.

You just spent the better part of the thread calling everyone whiners and trying to suppress opinions because you're a fanboy. Just a headsup in case you didn't look back on this thread and realize "Wow I am quite foolish".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 20:25 MTechnik

You're right, I should move on, but it's the internets. heheh.

Anyhow, I appreciate your ideal. And I wish companies put out perfect products. But what I expect is something else, and it was accounted for when I spent my $43 (tax). You even said it is better than the average.

Some games I'm willing to put up with that, other games I wait a month or two and buy if it is patched.

Anyhow, have a good nite. Good chattin'.

21. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 18:37 Bhruic

Pretty much. I've played horrible games that wouldn't play on ANY setup, that should NOT have been released. This isn't one of them. I've also seen plenty of other people that have bought the game and are completely content. If the product were absolute crap, as you are implying, there would be a LOT more complaint.

I'm not implying that it's absolute crap. In terms of game launches, this is one of the better ones. That, however, is merely a matter of degrees of relativity, as I mentioned earlier.

Nope, I told you to shut up or move on. That isn't whining. Whining would be like "I don't like people that whine on the internet, they are like people ass-raping my delicate feelings." Sound familiar?

You've got close to half of the posts in this thread, all dedicated to telling people they shouldn't be whining. That's much more than simply saying "shut up or move on".

And no, it doesn't sound familiar. I haven't been whining at all - that was your contention. But if you want something that sounds familiar... How about you shut up or move on.

20. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 18:29 MTechnik

You can't seriously be putting forth the "I didn't have any problems so there must not be any" argument, are you?

Pretty much. I've played horrible games that wouldn't play on ANY setup, that should NOT have been released. This isn't one of them. I've also seen plenty of other people that have bought the game and are completely content. If the product were absolute crap, as you are implying, there would be a LOT more complaint.

And here you are whining about my whining. Hypocrite much?

Nope, I told you to shut up or move on. That isn't whining. Whining would be like "I don't like people that whine on the internet, they are like people ass-raping my delicate feelings." Sound familiar?

19. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 18:24 Bhruic

Like I said, I played for a bunch of hours on day 1 with one single problem (on a pretty non-standard config).

You can't seriously be putting forth the "I didn't have any problems so there must not be any" argument, are you?

And I see you HAVE found a new hobby, whining on the internet. Congrats.

And here you are whining about my whining. Hypocrite much?

18. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 18:19 MTechnik

No, I want products that are done.

And you know what? You're not in a position to tell me what to do. If I want to "whine", as you put it, I'll do so. If that bothers you, it's your problem.

Like I said, I played for a bunch of hours on day 1 with one single problem (on a pretty non-standard config). And I figured multiplayer would be boarked (more because of their servers being overloaded than client issues, which there were). That sounds pretty done to me.

And I see you HAVE found a new hobby, whining on the internet. Congrats.

17. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 18:16 Bhruic

Regardless, you want perfect finished products, that isn't going to happen. And as much as you whine about it, it STILL isn't going to happen. So either relax, or find another hobby.

No, I want products that are done.

And you know what? You're not in a position to tell me what to do. If I want to "whine", as you put it, I'll do so. If that bothers you, it's your problem.

16. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 18:09 MTechnik

Verno,

Here you are: http://mt3chn1k.com/blues/favor.jpg

I dunno if there are different multiplayer favor points, as I said I've only played single player since I got it.

Bhruic,

Nope, your analogy isn't even close. Mine, while admittedly more severe, does capture the nature of the situation. That is, all of the publishers are doing "wrong", but one of them is doing slightly less "wrong". Sure, you could cheerlead one of them with "Yay, you don't suck quite as much as the next guy", but that's about it.

You must not understand rape. It involves forcing someone against their will to submit. I don't see a publisher putting out a game, even if it were unfinished, as being akin to rape at all. Sorry.

Regardless, you want perfect finished products, that isn't going to happen. And as much as you whine about it, it STILL isn't going to happen. So either relax, or find another hobby.

15. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 17:05 Creston

Brad Wardell: We need to get a patch out.
Chris Taylor: A what?

*giggles*

Since the world has changed, left you behind, and you refuse to cope, I expect you'll be returning your keys to the internet and will enjoy returning to local dial-up BBS's and fido-net for kvetching about how your copy of Contra for the C64 has some extra noise on the tape to keep it from loading.

*giggles more*

Creston

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 17:06.

14. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 16:40 Verno

Verno,

I played about 6 hours on Tuesday night. I got Favor Points just fine

How exactly? What's your Impulse profile name? I haven't seen a single player who says this works yet and the devs themselves said it was totally broken. If it's intermittent then fair enough but Brad's post and my experience with the game seems to imply it has never functioned period.

And no I won't make my own company or whatever else just because you say so, sorry. Some of us expect more from the industry. We're not asking for perfection here so stop trying to make us look unreasonable.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 16:42.

13. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 16:37 Bhruic

I'm sorry, Bhruic, but anal rape and "It takes a couple of tries to get a multi player game going" aren't the same thing. Try this:

If you dropped your car off for repairs at two shops, both cost $500 to fix it, both did it in 4 days, but only one of them gave you an estimate and called you back with updates, which shop would get your business?

Nope, your analogy isn't even close. Mine, while admittedly more severe, does capture the nature of the situation. That is, all of the publishers are doing "wrong", but one of them is doing slightly less "wrong". Sure, you could cheerlead one of them with "Yay, you don't suck quite as much as the next guy", but that's about it.

So while I respect the fact that Stardock will communicate with their customers, I still dislike the fact that communication is necessary. If they were properly prepared, it wouldn't be.

12. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 16:20 MTechnik

I'm sorry, Bhruic, but anal rape and "It takes a couple of tries to get a multi player game going" aren't the same thing. Try this:

If you dropped your car off for repairs at two shops, both cost $500 to fix it, both did it in 4 days, but only one of them gave you an estimate and called you back with updates, which shop would get your business?

11. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 16:20 MTechnik

Verno,

I played about 6 hours on Tuesday night. I got Favor Points just fine. It was great, I got over a dozen matches in, had only one hang while loading a map. Maybe I have crappy expectations, but on my SLI'd 260 and Core i7 running on Vista 64, that's not bad for a day-1 release.

If it crashed constantly in all modes, or had a bad memory leak, then I'd understand the cry of "How could they release this half-finished crap?"

A few multiplayer glitches (no favor points, a few tries to get a match going, and a lagged out user dragging down the experience) aren't bad. Hell, I think COD4 still has a problem where a single hi-ping user can make a server run like crap.

Also, I don't have a problem playing a few hours of X-Com either, nothing wrong with that. Hell, I bought a copy on steam just to have it on my netbook.

But, again, if you want things to work perfectly on day one, go back to those console days. Or be like Derek Smart and open your own game copany and make those perfect games. I don't know of a modern multiplayer game that HAS been perfect on day 1.

10. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 16:06 Verno

So don't give me that hypocritical crap.

I know when I buy a battlefield title that on day 1 I shouldn't expect multiplayer to work smoothly. It just doesn't happen.

Same thing with Demigod. I expected it to be flooded on day 1. So I went to the store, and bought a copy. Which I brought home and installed, and played the Tournament mode.

This is because I expected there to be issues with the multiplayer on day 1.

Sorry if you expect millions of lines of code to come out without a problem. I just have a more realistic expectation of companies that publish code whose name isn't NASA.

Then I think we're at a fundamental impasse anyways. I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to get a game and expect it to work. Many people don't read sites like Bluesnews and have no idea about "launch day issues" and all that crap. I don't excuse Blizzard for it with WoW and I don't excuse EA for it. Stardock is a great little company but I'm not giving them points for doing the same. Simple as that. Maybe you are happy to tolerate the industries various flaws but judging by the growing console numbers and shrinking PC numbers each quarter many are not. That's not a good thing man, less games, less attention, more ports and so on.

You can drop the silly little dreamcast/console comments by the way, you're just making yourself look childish and I am happy to play old console games just like I'm happy to play Space Quest. Give me a break, no one is asking for perfection here but it took several games just to get a single one going the other night and we got dropped after 20 minutes. Favor points aren't being accrued at all. One laggy player can drop everyone else in the match and it happens frequently. That's a far cry from saying "oh hey we want you to write 10,000,000 lines of perfect code".

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 16:07.

9. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 16:05 Bhruic

Stardock and GPG appear to be going WAY out of their way to fix the problem AND keep users appraised of the hows, wheres and whys. Both the repeat patching AND communication are way ahead of most publishers.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't really agree with it. By way of an analogy, if all of the publishers were bending you over and anal-raping you, but Stardock/GPG was saying please and thank-you before/after doing it, that wouldn't make it any more acceptable behaviour.

Yes, the reality is that games get released in unfinished form. Agreeing that that's the reality does not, however, mean that one should be acceptant of that reality. I don't expect a 100% perfect game, but I certainly expect that there shouldn't be significant bugs in a game when it's released. If enough people felt that way, things could be changed. Unfortunately, most people (like you) are accepting of the ways things work now, so publishers keep it coming. I hold out hope that that can still be changed.

8. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 15:51 MTechnik

So don't give me that hypocritical crap.

I know when I buy a battlefield title that on day 1 I shouldn't expect multiplayer to work smoothly. It just doesn't happen.

Same thing with Demigod. I expected it to be flooded on day 1. So I went to the store, and bought a copy. Which I brought home and installed, and played the Tournament mode.

This is because I expected there to be issues with the multiplayer on day 1.

Sorry if you expect millions of lines of code to come out without a problem. I just have a more realistic expectation of companies that publish code whose name isn't NASA.

If you bought the game, and 6 months later there is no hope of a patch, sure then scream how you got ripped off. Stardock and GPG appear to be going WAY out of their way to fix the problem AND keep users appraised of the hows, wheres and whys. Both the repeat patching AND communication are way ahead of most publishers.

That apparently isn't enough for you, so like I said, go dig out your dreamcast and have fun.

Edit: remove veiled insult. That was poor form of me.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 15:56.

7. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 15:38 Verno

Like many others have told you, quit bitchin'. That is the current state of the industry. Please stop buying games, and go play console games from '93.

Nah, I think I'll "bitch" if I want to thanks. If you want to keep tolerating the status quo then go crazy, I don't tell you to shut up and stop being a publisher slut for thinking it's ok to release buggy crap do I? Well wait, I just did. I do wish Blues had an ignore function so we could put people like you who make excuses for gaming companies on ignore. Stardock gets points from me for owning up to their problems but NOT for releasing the game in such a state in the first place. If EA did it you'd be jumping their shit right now even if they had released a patch the next day. So don't give me that hypocritical crap. They all get a fair shake from me.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 15:42.

6. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 15:22 SpectralMeat

What I don't understand is why would someone bitch about a game that he doesn't even own? It is like if I would bitch and whine about how Hyundai had a recall on some cars while I am driving a Mazda. WTF does it matter?  

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Demigod Fix Plans Apr 16, 2009, 15:15 MTechnik

You wish every dev would release buggy games then patch them? Many do, welcome to the industry. My wish is a bit different than yours, I wish developers would do more QA on titles instead of dumping them out the door when the dev cycle is complete after a half assed beta.

Like many others have told you, quit bitchin'. That is the current state of the industry. Please stop buying games, and go play console games from '93.

Even new console games get patches to fix problems.

Since the world has changed, left you behind, and you refuse to cope, I expect you'll be returning your keys to the internet and will enjoy returning to local dial-up BBS's and fido-net for kvetching about how your copy of Contra for the C64 has some extra noise on the tape to keep it from loading.

Wishing blues had an ignore function for the few that just don't get it.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >