Demigod Day 0 Report

From Stardock: Demigod Day 0 Status Report has word on some issues with Demigod, Gas Powered Games' new action/strategy game (thanks Voodoo Extreme). The post by Brad "Frogboy" Wardell outlines four major issues, and what's being done about them, as well as word to expect some "Stardockians" populating online games:
With the first official day of the game's availability almost over, I'd like to give you a status report on 4 critical issues we're working on addressing:

#1 Custom Games. The lobby and the NAT connection are seperate which, in hindsight, wasn't an ideal design decision. It's something that can be addressed but it'll take some days to do it. Basically, the connection system needs to be more like a lobby where the host can eject users who have problematic setups, slow ping times, etc. In any other game, if you create a game and you see a user who's got a slow ping, you'd eject them probably. But here, they have to first connect to everyone else. And that assumes their router isn't set up like fort knox whicha lot of users clearly have.

#2 You're connected but not in the game. This appears to be a genuine bug on our part. We're looking to address this and with any luck we'll be able to provide an updated build today or tomorrow. This is a very frustrating problem for users.

#3 The Pantheon / Skirmish games create uneven teams and such. This is mostly due to a lack of data for the system to work off of. When it was developed, it had a ton of beta tester win loss data to create balanced teams. Plus, from a "fun" point of view it was designed to try to get a skilled player versus 2 or 3 unski-er less experienced players as we found that pretty fun during the beta but the problem is, with everyone starting out with the same rating, it ends up with some bad results. This situation will iron itself out in the next couple of days on its own but now you know why it's happening.

#4 Server Load. We can't complete this list without talking about the overall server load Demigod's Pantheon and community features are using. A lot of this is simply volume but part of this is just finding areas where certain calls were being made too often. This will take a bit of time to address but I expect by the end of the week it'll be pretty responsive if not sooner.

As some of you know, we're all over the forums and on the chat channels hanging out.

So how can we make any of this up to you? Well, we've decided one way is to expand on something that our partners at Ironclad (developers of Sins of a Solar Empire) really got going when Sins came out and that is put a lot of "Stardockians" online to play multiplayer games with people later this week.

These Stardockians will be on to help show people how to play the game, give them tips and provide just a good online experience. For people who found themselves trying to get a game going today and couldn't due to server overloads or network connectivity, you'll be able to get a good game going with us.

Thanks for your patience. We'll keep you up to date!
View : : :
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Demigod Day 0 Report
Apr 16, 2009, 08:15
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 16, 2009, 08:15
Apr 16, 2009, 08:15

this game sucks

Most definitely this game doesn't suck. It is great fun. Sure it could use a tutorial, and some single player campaign, but that doesn't make it a bad game. After tat patch fixes the online issue this game will rock.
Steam: SpectralMeat

Apr 15, 2009, 23:48
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 23:48
Apr 15, 2009, 23:48

Oh God, not the "if you're not a musician / politician / artist / game owner you can't criticise them" argument. Personally I like to keep an eye on comments on sites like this - they help get a better idea of the overall picture.

Whoa. I'm not saying that you can't criticise them. I just don't want to hear the whining about a game that you haven't purchased yet. If it doesn't have what you want, either don't buy it, or tell the developer directly instead of whining about it to everybody. If you purchased the game, and you have a serious concern with it, then there is a legitimate gripe.

If there is something that concerns you about a game, and you want to share fine, just don't whine about it. I've read some really nice critiques of games in the threads on this site, but for some reason there will be people that sound like they are whining instead of posting a logical critique. I probably should say overly emotional instead of whining. Please, make an educated critique, instead of flying off the handle and saying this game sucks.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2009, 23:56.

Apr 15, 2009, 23:22
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 23:22
Apr 15, 2009, 23:22

I'll probably get this, though it'd be nice if I could get my game laptop to connect wirelessly to my internet at work. Anyone know of a surefire way to fix the fucking "Local Only" wireless bug in fucking Vista?

I have to give props to Stardock. Sure they messed up a bit, but they're honest about it and are giving you ETAs on when they hope it will be fixed. Most devs just pretend their noses bleed and never fix anything.

Creston

Apr 15, 2009, 22:29
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 22:29
Apr 15, 2009, 22:29

I may also pick it up tomorrow mourning but not a hundred percent sold yet. I'm download the DoW2 single player demo to try it out first.

Apr 15, 2009, 22:17
nin

Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 22:17
Apr 15, 2009, 22:17
 nin

Alright, I'm in...

Apr 15, 2009, 21:33
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 21:33
Apr 15, 2009, 21:33

The mark of a good game, IMHO. TF2, Battlefield '42, Civ IV, etc. are, for me at least, extremely fun even if you lose, provided you weren't utterly steamrolled and teabagged by the opposing team.

Oh, it was about as lopsided a match as I've ever been in. I still managed to eek out a couple of match awards (damage dealt was one of 'em). More importantly, I learned a lot about the strategy of the game.

Alright Bucky, tell me why I should buy this game. I'm close to pulling the trigger here...

That's a hard request to fulfill. I still can't believe I like this game as much as I do--and yet the counter in Impulse tells me I've fired up the game 18 times since Monday night. The hard part is that there are very few games out there like it; this is the first game of it's type that I've ever played. I think Demigod is going to be hit-or-miss with a lot of people. Anyway, here goes:

Why to buy A.K.A. Why I Like The Game:
  • Stardock is the publisher. This means the phenomenal community interaction, good DRM methods (with no copy protection) and stellar post-release support are all part of the package. This is the reason I pre-ordered without really knowing anything about the game.
  • I lose track of time when I play. This is my traditional top mark for games. If I look up and realize it's 3 AM, it's a damn good game.
  • I enjoyed losing. I can't even play free poker without getting bent out of shape if I lose.
  • I feel like the game has depth. 1v1 provides lots of interesting strategy. Now imagine 5v5. I've been playing a lot of skirmish against the AI in order to get familiar with the Demigods.
  • Strategy. Working as a team with other Demigods to complement each other, balancing your gold spending among equipment, consumables, citadel upgrades and reinforcement upgrades. Leveling your Demigod along an effective path. There are lots of points to consider and not a lot of time to do it.
  • It's fun. I suck at reviewing games or even talking about the game mechanics, so that's probably the best reason I can give. I really enjoy this game.
  • Stardock.

In the end, you've got to decide if Demigod is a style of game you'll like. It's got an even blend of strategy and tactics, has a moderate learning curve and is focused on multiplayer (which, I should note, is P2P based). I do not believe patches or balance updates will be lacking in any way and the community seems to already have a very solid foundation thanks to the beta testers. You can always wait for a demo, but me, I'm gonna spend my weekend losing badly, learning the game, and enjoying every minute of it.

Apr 15, 2009, 20:51
nin

Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 20:51
Apr 15, 2009, 20:51
 nin

Alright Bucky, tell me why I should buy this game. I'm close to pulling the trigger here...

Thanks!

Apr 15, 2009, 20:47
RP
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 20:47
Apr 15, 2009, 20:47
RP

The funny part is, normally I hate losing. It was pretty obvious after about 5 minutes that my team (it was 2v2) was going to get thrashed, and we did. Still, I had fun for the entire 35 minute Domination match.

The mark of a good game, IMHO. TF2, Battlefield '42, Civ IV, etc. are, for me at least, extremely fun even if you lose, provided you weren't utterly steamrolled and teabagged by the opposing team.

Apr 15, 2009, 20:35
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 20:35
Apr 15, 2009, 20:35

I'm not trying to slight GPG by saying this because I know they love making games and seem to have a great work ethic. Not to mention a very nice work environment from what I remember... years ago. That said, depending on your views, their games range from great to horrid. Which is par for the course since you can't please everyone. Anyway, since I haven't seen anything about any free content beyond the two more Demigods that were mentioned I have to assume the new maps will be at a cost, right?

Apr 15, 2009, 20:20
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 20:20
Apr 15, 2009, 20:20

I’m just going to say that do not judge GPG on the issues currently being experienced, Brad came out and said this is NOT GPGs fault. Stardock created the Network code for this game not GPG. That being said I was on the beta and never had these issues when we played it. The game itself its very awesome. The combat is nonstop from start to finish and the leveling up of your main Hero and buying items and upgrades is very kewl. The game is very good and it a lot of fun to play. One of the best rts games out now. Yes there are only 8 maps right now but more are coming. This game does not use the standard map editor to make maps. If I recall it uses a Mayan editor plug in and it is not something that is easy to use for the general public for making their own maps.

Give the game a chance it really is a great game.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Apr 15, 2009, 20:01
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 20:01
Apr 15, 2009, 20:01

Just finished my first multiplayer game. There are definitely some issues around how the game connects and connection information (my ping didn't even display it was so high). With that said, the game was still relatively smooth.

The funny part is, normally I hate losing. It was pretty obvious after about 5 minutes that my team (it was 2v2) was going to get thrashed, and we did. Still, I had fun for the entire 35 minute Domination match.

Apr 15, 2009, 19:22
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 19:22
Apr 15, 2009, 19:22

In other words, don't whine about it if you haven't paid for it.
Oh God, not the "if you're not a musician / politician / artist / game owner you can't criticise them" argument. Personally I like to keep an eye on comments on sites like this - they help get a better idea of the overall picture.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Re: Weekend Sales
Apr 15, 2009, 19:12
Dev
Re: Weekend Sales Apr 15, 2009, 19:12
Apr 15, 2009, 19:12
Dev

Verno:
I wasn't specifically addressing my whining comment to anyone in this thread. I don't know enough about this game to tell (I generally like stardock, but I'm not sure I'll pick this up).

I was just commenting in general.

Apr 15, 2009, 17:56
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 17:56
Apr 15, 2009, 17:56

And the people that really irritate me are people that jump on the whining band wagon that really don't have any serious gripes of there own, just to be heard. In other words, don't whine about it if you haven't paid for it.

Sorry, I haven't paid but I'd like to pay if they will make the product more enticing by addressing community concerns. If that bugs you, well that's just tough for you.

Apr 15, 2009, 17:38
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 17:38
Apr 15, 2009, 17:38

There is a difference between whining and a legitmate complaint though.

A legitmate complaint would be to state your grievance and be somewhat open to a discussion about the grievance and ways to fix it.

Whining is a complaint that is stated over and over again without the whiner being open to ways to fix it.

And the people that really irritate me are people that jump on the whining band wagon that really don't have any serious gripes of there own, just to be heard. In other words, don't whine about it if you haven't paid for it.

Apr 15, 2009, 16:48
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 16:48
Apr 15, 2009, 16:48

I've been on the fence for a few days and would also love a demo. Though I doubt we'll get one. No matter. The biggest hurdle for me is GPGs track record. I bought DS and was bored to tears about half way into it. Then I made the mistake of listening to a friend and bought DS2 so we could play Co-Op. I didn't even think about Space Siege or SC. So now I am wondering should I give them (GPG) one more try?

It looks fun. But after being let down by Tales of Valor I'm not sure I want to be let down (or screwed over) again... so soon.

As far as the whining goes... one mans whining is another mans legitimate complaint. Get use to it.

Apr 15, 2009, 16:38
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 16:38

If these devs don't deserve a pass... (they come in early to launch the game, respond the same day the game is launched to problems they are working on, and plan to have these issues fixed in a few day) WHO DOES!?
Coming in early to launch an unfinished game (based on the comments here) shouldn't earn a pass. It's great that they're fixing the issues but it sounds like more testing and not rushing the release because of the cunts at GameStop would have been a good idea. I still don't think the support matches that of Valve for Team Fortress 2 - the prelaunch beta was solid and they still continued to fine tune the game based upon feedback and game statistics. It's like Clear Sky - great game but the bugs they were fixing should never have shipped.

NOTE: Obviously I'm basing my analysis of the opinions of others, which is less reliable than first hand experience. Without a demo I can't do much else and the exchange rate makes it far too pricey to take a chance with it.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

RP
RP

I never buy software at release. Let everyone else work out the bugs and kinks.

Stardock's customer service is top-notch. I fully expect them to fix the major issues in the coming week or two. Very few devs are this responsive and open.

Still waiting on the demo, though. Never played DotA so I have no idea what to expect.

It's great to see these guys being so responsive. And the time lines they are talking about are straight out of my dreams. He's talking about rolling out changes "later this week" !? Relic's response to DoW2 issues was comical compared to this. Hell EVERYONE's response to game issues is comical compared to this. The devs are responding immediately (on the first official day of the game's availability?) and and giving ETA's within a few DAYS.

Why are they getting a pass!? Are you kidding? If these devs don't deserve a pass... (they come in early to launch the game, respond the same day the game is launched to problems they are working on, and plan to have these issues fixed in a few days) WHO DOES!?

QFT.

So far I've only been playing skirmish against the AI in order to get a feel for the game, and figure out my play style. I think there's more depth to the game than it seems at first glance. I've found myself choosing my path through the skill tree based on my opponents, I really don't believe there will be any given uber setup.

The best praise that I can give this game is that I keep losing track of time. I haven't been to bed at a normal hour in the last two days. The last time I could say that about a game was, interestingly enough, when I bought GalCiv2.

Apr 15, 2009, 16:26
Re: Demigod Day 0 Report Apr 15, 2009, 16:26
Apr 15, 2009, 16:26

@#%@%$@$#!

I just sold myself on this game. $40 gone. Took a chance on Sins and that paid off HUGE. Game looks very cool. Can't wait to play it.

Edit: Amazon has this for $35 + free super saver shipping so I just saved myself $5!

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2009, 16:35.
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older