Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena

Atari announces The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is now available in North America, offering Starbreeze Studios' follow-up to The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, as well as a remake of that first-person shooter tie-in with the Riddick movies. Playable demos of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions are available on their respective networks, and we've been reassured that an unannounced Windows demo is eventually coming, too. Here's word:
The Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena contains a brand new full-length Riddick campaign in addition to a high-definition pixel-by-pixel remake of the universally acclaimed title Escape from Butcher Bay. In addition to the thrilling, visceral single player action, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena brings Riddick into the multiplayer arena for the first time, with six intense online multiplayer combat modes including the unique Pitch Black mode.

Reprising his role as Riddick, Vin Diesel brings his unique vocal talent to The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, creating a powerful anti-hero with a talent for chilling one-liners. Diesel is joined by a high caliber cast of actors including Lance Henriksen, Wade Williams, William Morgan Sheppard, and Michelle Forbes who brings depth and weary malevolence to Riddick’s chief adversary on the Dark Athena, Captain Revas. Starbreeze Studios’ proprietary ‘vo-cap’ technology ensures that every nuance of the actors’ vocal and physical performance ends up in the game, creating a uniquely absorbing experience.

In The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena the player takes the role of Riddick, as played by Diesel, using stealth and action to overcome the merciless crew of the predatory Merc-ship Dark Athena which awaits its prey in the dark reaches of space. Cheating death through a series of spectacular battles and events, Riddick will fight for his life amid a storm of malevolence and horror. The Chronicles of Riddick series of games takes the player deeper into the universe of Universal Pictures’ films The Chronicles of Riddick and cult classic Pitch Black, which first introduced Diesel as enigmatic anti-hero.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena
Apr 8, 2009, 12:00
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 8, 2009, 12:00
Apr 8, 2009, 12:00

Odd. This game has been pirated and the nfo makes no mention of any copy-protection other than a CD-key.

Apr 8, 2009, 05:52
nin
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 8, 2009, 05:52
Apr 8, 2009, 05:52
nin

I loved the first Riddick game and sure Starbreeze deserves support, but I won't support a publisher that pushes DRM, even if it's just online activation only. Hopefully more people will do the same and publishers will soon realize that adding DRM to their games means less sales.

I agree 100%. As much as myself and others here have championed the game, if there's a install limit, there's no way in hell they're getting my money.

Fuck em.

Apr 8, 2009, 02:31
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 8, 2009, 02:31
Apr 8, 2009, 02:31

First off, I have owned the game since last Friday and it uses TAGES, not SecuROM

Different word, same end result. They both have a system for preventing disc copying, they both tend to screw with legitimate programs that could potentially be used for piracy, and they both have the OPTION of forcing limited installs.

And yes, in the case of TAGES, they simply don't even inform you of that limitation.

Creston

Apr 7, 2009, 23:25
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 23:25
Apr 7, 2009, 23:25

First off, I have owned the game since last Friday and it uses TAGES, not SecuROM. Secondly neither the package nor the booklet nor the install system says anything about an install limit, all it says it you are registering your .exe to track pirated copies.
That's enough for me to not buy the game. I loved the first Riddick game and sure Starbreeze deserves support, but I won't support a publisher that pushes DRM, even if it's just online activation only. Hopefully more people will do the same and publishers will soon realize that adding DRM to their games means less sales.

I do have gamer friends that do not have internet connections at their house. They live outside the reach of cable and DSL, so their only options are expensive satellite or dialup. The local dialup companies died off a while ago, unless you go with AOL. There's not much you can do on the internet anymore with dialup, so it doesn't make since for them to pay $20 a month just to be able to check their email at home when they have a fast connection at work.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one." - Mr. Diety

Apr 7, 2009, 20:41
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 20:41
Apr 7, 2009, 20:41

First off, I have owned the game since last Friday and it uses TAGES, not SecuROM. Secondly neither the package nor the booklet nor the install system says anything about an install limit, all it says it you are registering your .exe to track pirated copies. It might have a secret install limit in a certain period of time, like Windows or something, but it doesn't say anything about it.

In any case, DRM is a publisher decision, and I'm not letting that screw over Starbreeze, an excellent developer who deserves success, or me, a gamer who loved Butcher Bay and wants Dark Athena. If the game ever, somehow, becomes unplayable, I will then download a crack... simple as that.

On the game front, all is awesome so far. I spent the weekend playing through Butcher Bay a second time. Some graphics elements are better than before and some are not... I plan to start Dark Athena tomorrow.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2009, 20:42.

Apr 7, 2009, 19:35
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 19:35
Apr 7, 2009, 19:35

It should be - it was on the shelf at Best Buy today.
Now, as to those utterly average reviews for an overpriced game...
Thinking Best Buy is looking more and more like Circuit City,
Ray
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Apr 7, 2009, 18:41
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 18:41
Apr 7, 2009, 18:41

I've been playing this for around 4 hours now, I already owned Butcher Bay so I'm doing the Athena storyline first. It's much of the same as the original but that's not a bad thing at all. The fact you get both games with a supposed updated graphics engine makes it a great deal. As far as graphics go, I remember the original game impressing me much more than this one has graphically. I'm almost tempted to say the first one looked better on PC than this version. I think I'm going to install the old one just to compare the differences.

As far as DRM goes there definately is some sort of it on this game. I'm quite sure it's not un-revokable because previous Atari titles used similair DRM and the DRM revoked as soon as I uninstalled it. They would've been much better off using SteaWorks than this DRM garbage, have they not been paying attention to the public and the outcry of hatred toward strict DRM? I don't know... sometimes I feel developers put games on PC with the intention for them to fail because of the foolish things they do or don't do.
"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

Apr 7, 2009, 16:57
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 16:57
Apr 7, 2009, 16:57

Supposedly PC Gamer is the source, I don't have it so I don't know.
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

Apr 7, 2009, 16:33
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 16:33
Apr 7, 2009, 16:33

This game was out in the stores for a week now. The first thing I did when I saw it was open up my cell phone too look up the DRM to decide if I should buy it.

This is hardcore DRM. Three installs only, non-revokable.

I'll pass. And to think, I would have purchased had it not had DRM.

Where did you read about this exactly? Not saying you're wrong but I haven't read anything about the DRM on this and I haven't found anything in my cursory searches. I found a couple of threads where people claim this but none of them provide any confirmed sources. One of these posts is a guy from NeoGAF who mentioned that he found this by searching "Dark Athena DRM" which when I did, brought up nothing but more speculation and no confirmation. If this is true, I'll skip the PC version but I'd like to know for sure.
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Apr 7, 2009, 15:23
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 15:23
Apr 7, 2009, 15:23

So, Atari are so worried about piracy that they put in draconian DRM and then they don't release a demo for the PC version and wont even say when it's coming out. They then release the game in the US and leave the rest of the world to wait. I wonder how this is going to pan out, good job Atari. Dunce

I even spent some time looking for the PS3 demo today, only to find out that it's not out in the UK yet. WTF is that all about?

Apr 7, 2009, 14:39
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 14:39
Apr 7, 2009, 14:39

Just rent the 360 version then.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 7, 2009, 14:33
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 14:33
Apr 7, 2009, 14:33

Yea creston, sorry for my mistake, I meant a week.... and damn PC version 3 install limit? lol I would definitely prefer a steam version tied to account than a 3 install limit drm copy...
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

Apr 7, 2009, 14:19
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 14:19
Apr 7, 2009, 14:19

I'm not gonna pirate this because I'm just going to get the console version(you know, the version in which I don't have to worry about it not working in the future). I hope this gets pirated to hell and back. Fuck Securom and fuck anyone who supports that shit. Seriously, just use fucking Steam already.

Apr 7, 2009, 13:59
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 13:59
Apr 7, 2009, 13:59

I'll pass without a Steam release. Atari haven't released ANY of their games on Steam here in the UK, so even if it does make it to Steam I'm not hopeful we'll see it here. Not only that but it's meant to have 3 non-revocable activations... absolutely UNACCEPTABLE. Phailwreck.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Apr 7, 2009, 13:55
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 13:55
Apr 7, 2009, 13:55

Wow 3 limit install, pass.

Apr 7, 2009, 13:38
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 13:38
Apr 7, 2009, 13:38

This game been pirated for XBOX360 since March 29. Thats almost a full month ahead of release date. Ouch.

Shouldn't that be a full week, rather than a month?

Anyways, I'd like to get this, but I've already more than had it with the 3 installations/no revoke bullshit. Choose to treat me like a pirate, and I choose to treat you like a bag of shit not worthy of a dime.

Creston

Apr 7, 2009, 13:34
SCG
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 13:34
Apr 7, 2009, 13:34
SCG

This game was out in the stores for a week now. The first thing I did when I saw it was open up my cell phone too look up the DRM to decide if I should buy it.

This is hardcore DRM. Three installs only, non-revokable.

I'll pass. And to think, I would have purchased had it not had DRM.

Apr 7, 2009, 13:30
nin
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 13:30
Apr 7, 2009, 13:30
nin

Any sign of a Steam release?

Apr 7, 2009, 13:13
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 13:13
Apr 7, 2009, 13:13

I really love this " ..an unannounced Windows demo is eventually coming, too."

Then they will complain about piracy when people download the full version to see if it's worth buying.

A year after that they will re-release the game on steam for cheap & offer a free weekend to try it.

Smart publishers would have had a quality demo available on all platforms at the same time so that if one platform has issues it won't impact sales on other platforms. (Quality demo does not mean UT3 style demo that looked so bad my monitor started to cry)

This approach would have a similar impact as a the free weekend of play approach steam bandwagon that many on the PC side are on & would probably cost less.

PS. KilrathiAce ... love the signature...wish they would remake the game with a modern engine & add coop & multiplayer ( for longevity).

Apr 7, 2009, 12:57
Re: Ships Ahoy - Assault on Dark Athena Apr 7, 2009, 12:57
Apr 7, 2009, 12:57

Btw, for those folks that always cry about PC piracy. This game been pirated for XBOX360 since March 29. Thats about a week ahead of release date. Ouch.

Based on number of reviews so far the game doesn't look to match the quality and greatness of the first game, based on early reviews I am dissapointed but one can still have hope?

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2009, 14:31.
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older