Jack Thompson Writes Obama

Jack Thompson Asks Obama For Nationwide Ban On "Killer Games" reproduces a letter from disbarred but unbowed anti-gaming zealot Jack Thompson, addressed to United States President Barack Obama. The letter references the recent school shooting in Germany and, taking a page from the playbook of fellow fanatic David Grossman, repeatedly makes use of the phrase "murder simulator." He also outlines highlights of his ten-year campaign combating violent video games that began after his attempts to blame society's ills on rap music began falling on deaf ears. After a decade of effort, he has finally concluded the only solution is to ban violent games altogether:
I conclude by asking you, one father to another, to take the bold moves necessary to get these murder simulators out of America. We have more guns than people in this country. We are training our teens to be Manchurian Candidates to use them and to author what will be more Columbines, more Virginia Techs, and more shattered communities.
View : : :
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: JT Writes Obama
Mar 27, 2009, 09:21
Prez

Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 27, 2009, 09:21
Mar 27, 2009, 09:21
 Prez

So, Prez, how many times have you (or anyone here) had to use a gun (or anything else) in self defence.

The question is of dubious value, considering your motivation for asking it is to use it to prove Americans don't need them. Which is kind of dumb, considering most people will never use their car insurance, but also wouldn't think of driving without it.

In fact, I have come close to pulling my weapon on one occasion. It looked very likely that I was going to be assaulted in a parking lot, but the shady individuals must have sensed something, because they changed their minds and backed off. I know 2 people personally who have saved either their own life or the lives of others by using their firearm. One guy didn't even have to discharge it; he forced the assailant to yield just by pointing it at him.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2009, 09:31.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 26, 2009, 19:26
Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 26, 2009, 19:26
Mar 26, 2009, 19:26

So, Prez, how many times have you (or anyone here) had to use a gun (or anything else) in self defence.

If everybody had guns, all these shooting massacres wouldn't happen or at the very least, would be greatly minimized.
- Jerykk

Maybe true, just as maybe true, is that they would happen way more often.*

*due to this 'everybody' being human being which mostly have emotions.

Mar 26, 2009, 16:19
Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 26, 2009, 16:19
Mar 26, 2009, 16:19

it's no coincidence that the US has accomplished more in its tiny history than most other countries have in thousands of years.
Okay, I think we'll call it a day.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Mar 26, 2009, 16:04
nin

Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 26, 2009, 16:04
Mar 26, 2009, 16:04
 nin

it's no coincidence that the US has accomplished more in its tiny history than most other countries have in thousands of years.

Geeze Prez, way to throw some dynamite into the thread.

Mar 26, 2009, 15:50
Prez

Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 26, 2009, 15:50
Mar 26, 2009, 15:50
 Prez

I'll only say that saying that the US doesn't do it like other countries is a good thing; it's no coincidence that the US has accomplished more in its tiny history than most other countries have in thousands of years.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 26, 2009, 12:50
Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 26, 2009, 12:50
Mar 26, 2009, 12:50

the underlying defensiveness you see from Americans when you talk of removing or severely restricting our 2nd Amendment rights comes from how flippantly foreigners suggest that we sacrifice yet another one of our constitutional freedoms, as if it were no big deal. It IS a big deal to most of us. A HUGE deal.
Not flippantly but it seems any suggestion for change is met with "the constitution". Other countries are able to adapt, to change their laws and beliefs with time, but the US seems to have the constitution as a sticking point. Is it really unreasonable to suggest that there should be greater restrictions on firearms? In the UK we have the monarchy but there are plenty of people that are opposed to it and it is freely discussed - we don't have a constitution saying it's a good idea and can't be changed. The monarchy's role has been continually diminishing, even over the past decade, and it's entirely likely we'll see its role further reduced.

I just think it's slightly worrying that a core tenet of US culture is the need to have firearms to defend yourself from others or your government at any given moment, that you are at risk from other people. Other countries don't need a document telling their citizens that they have the right to defend themselves - that's human instinct. If someone threatens my life, especially on my own property, I have no hesitation to do whatever is necessary to survive and protect my family. It's not the "right to defend oneself" but the "right to bear arms" - it's not swords, or fists, or acid... it's guns.

A country should represent the people that inhabit it, not force its citizens to conform to the views of people that lived centuries ago.

Mar 26, 2009, 07:54
Prez

Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 26, 2009, 07:54
Mar 26, 2009, 07:54
 Prez

it's a shame that you feel you need weapons to protect yourself

Not everyone here does. I do, because of where I live and work, but the underlying defensiveness you see from Americans when you talk of removing or severely restricting our 2nd Amendment rights comes from how flippantly foreigners suggest that we sacrifice yet another one of our constitutional freedoms, as if it were no big deal. It IS a big deal to most of us. A HUGE deal.

That reminds me of a favorite quote of mine:

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither security nor liberty." - Ben Franklin

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2009, 07:55.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 25, 2009, 19:30
Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 25, 2009, 19:30
Mar 25, 2009, 19:30

Gee, Grooves, get worked up much?

Guns, patriotism and the Constitution ARE America.
- me thinks you may be stuck in the wild west their buddy, it's a shame that you feel you need weapons to protect yourself.

Every human on the planet DOES have the right to defend themselves
Do they also have the right to pre-emptly defend them self too? i.e. Attack others who may one day threaten them and there way of life? cos that just leads to insane escalation of a spiral of death.

It's like you are so scared about your safety, your dangerous to have around. And that's sad. If your country is the greatest on earth, why can't your police force protect you?

You wrote in this form that you don't care, yet you do.

You are a non-factor and always will be.

I'm sure that makes you feel big on the inside, I see how your great country as turned out some more fantastic beings in you, good to know your great school sector is teaching cool values like that.

I hope you calm down and chill out, get laid or something, before you 'snap' and rage quit.

Mar 25, 2009, 15:52
Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 25, 2009, 15:52
Mar 25, 2009, 15:52

You reveal yourself as either a very young stupid person or a liberal elitist.
Only in the US could "liberal" be an insult... it just doesn't make sense.

The funny thing is the degenerate Obama
lol?

Just the same old mush spewing from your hate filled mind.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Mar 25, 2009, 13:35
Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 25, 2009, 13:35
Mar 25, 2009, 13:35

Not at all. Just the "I have a right to defend myself" and "the constitution says so" crowd.

Oh you mean the "crowd" that cares about their liberties and freedoms? You somehow are trying to spin that as a bad thing? You reveal yourself as either a very young stupid person or a liberal elitist.

Every human on the planet DOES have the right to defend themselves and yes in the US people who care about that refer to the Constitution as it's the document that explicitly states that right for us.

Hence why I dislike the way guns, patriotism and the constitution are so highly regarded
Ahh, here we have the crux of the issue. You are an America hater. Guns, patriotism and the Constitution ARE America. I have no idea where you are from or where you live now. It's really irrelevant. Just like you are now irrelevant in this conversation for revealing you are anti-gun, anti-patriotic, and anti-constitution. That's quite a trifecta you have going.

Surely you can't be that stupid. You have to be yet another misguided youth who thinks they are smarter than all those around them that have accomplished so much more. You bore me boy. Just the same old mush spewing from your hate filled mind.

The funny thing is the degenerate Obama has already started on trying to get conceal carry banned. He isn't going to be successful. There is a reason that every single site that sells guns is practically sold out of every handgun available. There are FAR more people that support guns than don't. He is going to realize that very quickly.

Re: Jack Thompson Writes Obama
Mar 25, 2009, 01:41
Re: Jack Thompson Writes Obama Mar 25, 2009, 01:41
Mar 25, 2009, 01:41

I live in the UK... least accountable government ... overthrowing of foreign governments, assassinations, wiretapping, monitoring of communications

I don't want to get into the pro gun / no gun debate, but I thought this was pretty funny. I love how people who live outside the US always have a problem with the US wiretapping its citizens and monitoring their communications. Seriously, why is that? I can see why people are worried about the US "overthrowing governments," (Although nobody complained about it when Europe wanted something done about Milicic and begged the US to come help?) but why are you so worried about the US wiretapping? They won't wiretap YOU?

It's especially amusing when you consider that MI6 has had the right to wiretap you WITHOUT a legal warrant for basically forever. The FBI would LOVE to have MI6's freedom. Most intelligence agencies in Europe actually have this freedom. The BVD in Holland has almost no limits when it comes to intelligence gathering, and the BND in Germany is pretty lax too.

The FBI has to get a federal warrant signed by a judge in the large, large majority of cases before it can wiretap someone. And yet, that's always the thing everyone bleats about.

As for the assassinations, what exactly are we talking about here? The attempted murder of Fidel Castro back in the 60s?

Creston

Mar 24, 2009, 14:50
Prez

Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 24, 2009, 14:50
Mar 24, 2009, 14:50
 Prez

PS - I apologise if I come across overly negative. I don't know how we've got so sidetracked from the main topic.

It happens.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 24, 2009, 13:32
Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 24, 2009, 13:32
Mar 24, 2009, 13:32

I myself can't comprehend why people of other countries take issue with Americans being protective of their freedoms and their right to protect themselves.
Yes, but "the constitution" seems to take on a life of its own. And it hasn't protected the rights and freedoms of people held without charge and tortured. Sure Obama has pledged to close down Guantanamo Bay but has refused to take action against other similar facilities run by the US around the world - it's a hollow gesture. Freedom of press isn't even a guarantee as news is suppressed at the behest of the government, like showing coffins of soldiers killed in action. The constitution seems to be a symbol that people cling to like a religion and trot out at every opportunity. That's over simplifying it a bit - I appreciate that it's a LOT more complicated than that - but I hope you understand my point.

NEway, it's not an anti-US rant but more a criticism of particular aspects of US culture. The UK has got its own problems, many of equal magnitude - binge drinking, high teenage pregnancy rates, nanny state security, oppressive laws designed to "protect" against terrorism, a lack of accountability, etc. In fact we need a revolution in politics and for it to get back into the mainstream like the US had with Obama, though more radical.

Do you know what it's like to be afraid to go to the grocery store, or pump gas, or stop at a red light, or even sit in your own living room? Robberies, rapes, murders, daylight home invasions, et. al. are a normal fact of life where I live and work.
No, I can't say I do. I don't live in a city and the police coverage during drinking nights keeps things under control. Even the city I lived in before I felt safe to walk around at night and I frequently did so. It's no paradise but it's not terrible. And that's not to say that other areas don't have problems with crime - many of the major cities do and have no-go areas. But issues like you describe need to be tackled culturally, not simply by allowing everyone to have guns.

PS - I apologise if I come across overly negative. I don't know how we've got so sidetracked from the main topic.

Mar 24, 2009, 12:53
Prez

Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 24, 2009, 12:53
Mar 24, 2009, 12:53
 Prez

Not at all. Just the "I have a right to defend myself" and "the constitution says so" crowd.

I guess that American's view the supreme law of their land in a different light than people in other nations do. I myself can't comprehend why people of other countries take issue with Americans being protective of their freedoms and their right to protect themselves. Do you know what it's like to be afraid to go to the grocery store, or pump gas, or stop at a red light, or even sit in your own living room? Robberies, rapes, murders, daylight home invasions, et. al. are a normal fact of life where I live and work.

They say it helps to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Maybe if we swapped countries for a year? I could come live your life, and you could have mine. Of course, I somehow think you'd be getting the raw end of that deal...
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 24, 2009, 12:35
Re: JT Writes Obama Mar 24, 2009, 12:35
Mar 24, 2009, 12:35

You are clearly speaking to the American stereotype of the "redneck gun nut". I believe that the stereotypical image, one of some corn-fed, bib-overall wearing, tractor-driving, bible-thumpin', farm-raised guy named Cletus with 50 guns just praying that someone tries to break into his house so he has an excuse to riddle him with bullets, is the one most of my friends across the pond have in mind when they debate this issue.

I did find this report (though it's a bit old) that shows that 80% of guns used in crimes weren't obtained through regulated channels.
That leaves 20% through legitimate channels and it's unclear how many of the 80% were bought legitimately and sold on illegally / stolen (does that 80% include children / family members that took someone else's legally owned weapon?). And that's with dramatically more gun crime than the rest of the western world, so it's a considerable percentage of a large number.

Ultimately, only a change in the American psyche through effective culture change will break the cycle of violence in America.
Hence why I dislike the way guns, patriotism and the constitution are so highly regarded.

As before, rather than debate at length, I'll just say that, again, I couldn't agree more vehemnently with this statement.
Fair enough, but I stand by my point. The US government is no more accountable than those in other countries - I'd suggest the activities of the CIA and NSA suggest it is less accountable - and for defence it seems counterproductive because criminals are more likely to have weapons (other countries have armed crime but dramatically less than the US). They're more symbolic than practical.

Re: Jack Thompson & Obama
Mar 24, 2009, 12:17
Re: Jack Thompson & Obama Mar 24, 2009, 12:17
Mar 24, 2009, 12:17

Firstly, where is the source for such a figure? That seems very low. Secondly, guns from the legal market bleed into the illegal market.

I can't find the report that cited the 99% figure but I did find this report (though it's a bit old) that shows that 80% of guns used in crimes weren't obtained through regulated channels.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/fuo.pdf

And yes, it's true that guns stolen from regulated sources are a large chunk of said percentage. That said, were the guns not available legally, they'd still be available illegally. You can't buy cocaine, heroin, PCP, LSD or any number of drugs from stores but that doesn't stop people from getting them.

Mar 24, 2009, 10:25
Prez

Re: Jack Thompson & Obama Mar 24, 2009, 10:25
Mar 24, 2009, 10:25
 Prez

I'm not even suggesting an outright ban on firearms in the US. Heck, we don't have that here. I have two shotguns here in the house, one a pump action. I just think that the US should stop glamorizing weapons, promoting gun ownership and cease open access to them.

You are clearly speaking to the American stereotype of the "redneck gun nut". I believe that the stereotypical image, one of some corn-fed, bib-overall wearing, tractor-driving, bible-thumpin', farm-raised guy named Cletus with 50 guns just praying that someone tries to break into his house so he has an excuse to riddle him with bullets, is the one most of my friends across the pond have in mind when they debate this issue. In all honesty, I can say that, as with most stereotypes, there is a sliver of truth to this. I recently attended a "Friends of the NRA" event as a guest of my friend (who is the VP of the local NRA chapter in Memphis) and I definitely saw more than one individual who fit that image fairly closely. But the fact of the matter is that many, probably most, gun owners in America are far more responsible than this. They attend classes on responsible ownership and use. They lock them up and keep them far from children's reach. They pray that they never have to use them in defense even as they avail themselves of their God-given rights.

There are reasons, which I won't go into here, why the NRA is what it is and does what it does in the way that it does it. But I'd say the majority of gun owners are not NRA members nor do they subscribe to the level of extremism to which it will go from time to time.

Instead of strict regulatory infringement, which, like it or not, has been declared illegal by the Supreme Court of the land, I think the answer is education and information. Ultimately, only a change in the American psyche through effective culture change will break the cycle of violence in America. The way things now, further infringement could very possibly make things worse.

It's a cultural thing but the reasons cited for them - to defend yourself and to keep the government accountable - just don't hold up.

As before, rather than debate at length, I'll just say that, again, I couldn't agree more vehemnently with this statement.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 24, 2009, 08:42
Re: Jack Thompson & Obama Mar 24, 2009, 08:42
Mar 24, 2009, 08:42

Yes, it might make a difference in 50 or 100 years, as guns begin to fall apart and there hasn't been an influx of illegal guns. Then again, it might not make a difference, or it might make the problem worse by increasing the necessity of a black market.
Are guns licensed to people or freely available? If they're licensed then it's possible to buy them back and if people refuse you have a reasonable idea of how many firearms are still out there.

Gun control is counter-productive. 99% of guns used in crimes are obtained illegally, so banning guns doesn't make any difference. Gun control just ensures that criminals have guns and law-abiding citizens don't.
Firstly, where is the source for such a figure? That seems very low. Secondly, guns from the legal market bleed into the illegal market.

To my friends Cliffski and Theyarecomingforyou, I must respectfully say that you truly do not understand American culture. At all. You point to the high gun ownership and the high violent crime rate and assume that they are correlated.
I think gun ownership and its place in US culture increases violent crime. A direct correlation? No.

Yes, you had a gun buyback scheme and it's beyond sad that you fell for it with nary a complaint. You willingly gave up your ability to defend yourself. You are proud of this?
Where is this magical need to defend yourself? You act like in every other country people just stroll in our homes and kill us because we don't have guns to defend ourselves. That simply doesn't happen.

I'm not even suggesting an outright ban on firearms in the US. Heck, we don't have that here. I have two shotguns here in the house, one a pump action. I just think that the US should stop glamorising weapons, promoting gun ownership and cease open access to them. It's a cultural thing but the reasons cited for them - to defend yourself and to keep the government accountable - just don't hold up.

Mar 24, 2009, 03:14
Re: Jack Thompson Writes Obama Mar 24, 2009, 03:14
Mar 24, 2009, 03:14

Gun control is counter-productive. 99% of guns used in crimes are obtained illegally, so banning guns doesn't make any difference. Gun control just ensures that criminals have guns and law-abiding citizens don't.

If everybody had guns, all these shooting massacres wouldn't happen or at the very least, would be greatly minimized. If somebody pulled a gun in a crowded place, everybody else would pull their gun on him/her. The whole point of a mass shooting is to go out with a bang. Make people remember you, make yourself famous, make yourself feel important. Walking around and shooting people while they cower defenseless makes you feel empowered. Getting shot fifty times the second you pull your gun does not.

Gun control proponents claim that if everyone had guns, we would all kill each other. That's ridiculous. All first-world countries (and some third-world countries) have nukes but nobody uses them. Why? Fear of retaliation. If only one country had nukes (like the U.S. during WW2), you can bet your ass they'd be used. Same thing applies to guns. Give everybody a gun and all of a sudden, there are no defenseless victims. Gun control proponents also claim that giving everybody guns would foster a society of fear and paranoia. Um, yeah, that society already exists. Go live in the poorer districts of LA or Detroit or New York or any major urban city.

Give everybody guns (provided they don't have a criminal background or history of mental illness) and train them to use guns properly and responsibly. Then watch as crime goes down.

And where do you think they got them from? Do you think the criminals have gun manufacturing plants set up?

Black market? You know, the place where most criminals get their guns anyway? Last time I checked, practically every terrorist/militia/rebel group has AKs up the wazoo. Do you think they all have their own gun factories?

Why would it work? If you've got a thriving, active industry that produces guns, some of those guns are going to filter out to the criminal element. If that industry is eliminated, the amount of guns that filter to the criminal element is going to be drastically reduced.

Unless you can magically shut down every gun factory throughout the world, guns will continue to be made and sold internationally. A war on guns is like a war on drugs. The only way to win is to completely eliminate them from existence and make sure they never get created again. This is essentially impossible. It's much easier to balance the playfield by giving everyone guns than by wiping guns out entirely.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2009, 03:25.

Mar 23, 2009, 23:26
Re: Jack Thompson Writes Obama Mar 23, 2009, 23:26
Mar 23, 2009, 23:26

You willingly gave up your ability to defend yourself. You are proud of this?

In my local society I don't need the ability to defend myself with a firearm. And yes I am proud of that.

My government controlled insulated world has nary any gun violence (though bikey and mafia gang warfare has been on the rise lately) and has decent welfare and health systems, and a pretty good record for equality of all creeds. I also have the choice to buy a gun if I feel the need (though not automatic).

I also went on to admit that guns are just part of Americana, and should be accepted as such. I'm not trying to get you to lay down your god-given right to shoot some guy in self defense with a gun legally. But I'm saying it's just naive to assume that your legalisation of weaponry had no correlation whatsoever with gun violence over there. Tighter restrictions will probably change the statistics for the better.

People who refuse to defend themselves, like you, are the real trash.
How so? Because by my doing so you lose a legitimate reason to have your weapon? If I had a gun it wouldn't help me get censored games.

I bet if I say something as equally as provocative such as people who are ready to go to war over virtually nothing are the real trash I could get an equal reaction.

Why are you so aggressive? Oh that's right, it's your right to try and force me to shut the fuck up because I don't agree with you.
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older