Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Warcraft III Patches

New patches are now available for Warcraft III updating either the Reign of Chaos or The Frozen Throne to version 1.23a. The patches surface on Friday, but still haven't appeared on the Warcraft III Website or other official sources. Downloads of the Reign of Chaos patch are available from ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, FileFront, and The Patches Scrolls. The Frozen Throne patch is located on ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, FileFront, and The Patches Scrolls.
View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 23, 2009, 09:01 eunichron

I'm at the point where I think micro and attack-move are both crappy ways to play a game.
This is why I enjoy Relic's squad-based control. You have the micro element by controlling a single squad leader, but then there are more units to appear as if there is more action. It seems like they took a step back with it in DoW2 though, but I loved how it worked in Company of Heroes.

I was hoping SC2 would go with a squad-based control system, but as of now it doesn't look like that will happen.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 23, 2009, 03:57 Ventura

I'm highly waiting for Starcraft 2

Me too, but I'm more interested in it's modding potential than anything else. I modded somewhat extensively in Warcraft 3, wrote a mod called VQuest. I never really modded that much for any other game, but thanks to Warcraft 3's trigger editor, you don't have to know how to write code atall.

If they've put the same sort of effort into the editor that ships with Starcraft 2, I'll definitely be spending some serious time modding for it.

7. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 22, 2009, 23:32 Xero

Yeah to each his own. I totally prefer direct control. You gotta be quick and think in the heat of the moment. It adds to more of a rush in the game and more satisfying victory in the end IMO. I could never get into TBS. Tried it afew times, but wasn't my thing. I started with C&C and progressed into Starcraft and now Warcraft 3 which is still my prefered RTS game of any released since it's time. I'm highly waiting for Starcraft 2.  

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

6. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 22, 2009, 23:28 RP

I'm at the point where I think micro and attack-move are both crappy ways to play a game. Maybe that's why I've gradually moved to 4X and turn-based games, which I used to dismiss as crusty and boring. More chin rubbing and less click click click click click.

I guess micro isn't that bad if that's all you're doing. But obsessively microing while managing a base and resources, all in real time, quickly becomes exhausting.

Positech's next game, Gratuitous Space Battles, interests me because weapon selection and unit placement, not direct control, will determine the outcome of battles. But to each their own, right?

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2009, 23:29.

5. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 22, 2009, 21:38 Xero

12 unit select makes for better micro and less expendable units. You can easily deal with units that are about to die and pull them out of combat as well as use all their spells in a more controlled tactical way. To me honestly, games like C&C which I used to enjoy, when you get to highlight every unit on the map and move them as awhole seems noobish to me. Rookie stuff. It takes more control and micro to move a smaller amount, but to be more effective and have more control of them. You can still move large amounts with attack-move command, even in games like starcraft1-warcraft2-and warcraft3. I'm one of the elite few that are sad to see starcraft 2 is going to have no limit unit selection. I hate it when the noobs get their way...  

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

4. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 22, 2009, 21:04 RP

WarCraft 2 is the only Blizzard RTS game I've really enjoyed playing. Maybe I'm defective or something.

It runs nicely in WINE, too, which lets you play in windowed mode.

3. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 22, 2009, 20:54 shinchan0s

I've been on a Warcraft 2 binge the past couple of weeks. That game is so much more fun than Warcraft 3 and it boggles my mind. What is even MORE boggling is that Relic pulled the exact same shit with DoW2. WTF.

I don't care for WC3/SC honestly. 12-unit max selection never appealed to me but I still played it just fine.

Ugh. Tell me about it. I think that they finally got rid of it for SC2. Right?

2. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 22, 2009, 18:30 Wallshadows

I hope this finally makes the game playable.

What in the name of Christ are you talking about? Not being fun and not being playable are two separate creatures. They only cross link when you play the first mission and get pile drived by the first guard towers.

I don't care for WC3/SC honestly. 12-unit max selection never appealed to me but I still played it just fine.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2009, 18:31.

1. Is This The Patch... Mar 22, 2009, 17:42 TangledThorns

That makes the game fun? I hope this finally makes the game playable.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >