Gold - Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Atari announces The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is gold, and will be released for Windows and Xbox 360 on April 7 in North America and on April 24 for the rest of the world. Here's a portion of the small-print filled announcement:
Developed by the acclaimed team at Starbreeze Studios in conjunction with Tigon Studios and Universal Pictures, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena features a brand new 11 hour chapter in the Riddick saga with six intense online multiplayer game modes including the unique and thrilling Pitch Black mode. In addition to the full Assault on Dark Athena campaign, the disc includes a stunning HD remastering of celebrated title The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

The game is scheduled for launch on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft ($59.99), PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system ($59.99) and Windows PC ($49.99) on April 7th in North America and April 24th worldwide.

In The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena the player takes the role of Riddick, as played by Vin Diesel, using stealth and action to overcome the merciless crew of the predatory Merc-ship Dark Athena which awaits its prey in the dark reaches of space. Cheating death through a series of spectacular battles and events, Riddick will fight for his life amid a storm of malevolence and horror. The Chronicles of Riddick series of games takes the player deeper into the universe of Universal Pictures' films The Chronicles of Riddick and cult classic Pitch Black, which first introduced Vin Diesel as enigmatic anti-hero Riddick.
View : : :
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold
Mar 20, 2009, 13:09
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 13:09
Mar 20, 2009, 13:09

Bang up job releasing a PC demo, that definitely won't affect sales/piracy numbers.

I think I might have to resort to piracy, just to see if this game is not a complete piece of shit port like alot of PC games have been lately.

Usually when a developer doesn't release a PC demo, it's rarely a good sign that the port is decent.

Mar 20, 2009, 13:18
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 13:18
Mar 20, 2009, 13:18

Exactly my thoughts. No PC Demo smells like bad console port.

Mar 20, 2009, 13:26
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 13:26
Mar 20, 2009, 13:26

Firstly, Steam release? Secondly, will Atari makes their games on Steam available outside of the US? If not then I don't care. The game looks great but I'm not going to support backwards publishers that can't be bothered releasing demos on PC or their games on Steam in my area. Shame.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Mar 20, 2009, 13:29
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 13:29
Mar 20, 2009, 13:29

You guys do realize that the original Escape From Butcher Bay was one of the best FPS games ever released right? This new release is the original redone in higher textures and an expansion pack of sorts added.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2009, 13:29.

Mar 20, 2009, 13:31
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 13:31
Mar 20, 2009, 13:31

Vin Diesel gets more jobs in video games doing voice overs than real movies. Guy is a premadonna queen.

Have to admit the first Riddick FPS was good, but by NO MEANS greatest ever. Quit using console speak where everything is the best ever or the ultimate.

Mar 20, 2009, 13:35
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 13:35
Mar 20, 2009, 13:35

They might take the back assward stance and release a demo after. But they probably won't.

I don't know why everyone gets their balls in a knot over no demo releases though since it seems like there are fewer and fewer. It sucks but I trust gamerankings or any aggregated site to give me all the information I need. If it scores high on every site, I know something about the product just like if it scores low. if I am still uncertain, do a little research in the forums to see what real people think of it. I guess I just have a larger process to go through before purchasing a title, but it usually works even if I never played it before.

Demos are fine and all but they may only highlight the good portion of the game and not the range of shitty to awesome. Like a movie trailer. The last demo I last tried was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic which rang in at about 1.5GB for about 30 minutes of boring gameplay. I don't know where I'm going with this but sometimes there is far to much to pack into a demo with games these days to justify whether it's good or not.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2009, 13:39.

Mar 20, 2009, 13:39
DDI
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 13:39
Mar 20, 2009, 13:39
DDI

I'll say its one of the best ever. Very few games, if any, have replicated the spot on first person hand to hand combat in the game.

Mar 20, 2009, 13:42
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 13:42
Mar 20, 2009, 13:42

There are already console demos, so what's the problem to bring out a PC demo aswell? It can only be technical reasons.

Mar 20, 2009, 13:43
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 13:43
Mar 20, 2009, 13:43

PC Demos = Bit Torrent

Get with the times.

Mar 20, 2009, 14:14
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 14:14
Mar 20, 2009, 14:14

Yeah, I think it was one of the best single player FPS games I have ever played. The first-person hand-to-hand combat is the best ever. I hate stealth games but in CoR stealth was done right. The pacing in the game was great. Player movement and weapons were tight.

I normaly buy games for the multiplayer but I picked up CoR because of the buzz the game was getting. It is the only single-player FPS that I was really compelled to play all the way through. I have so many AAA FPS titles that I have never finished. CoR on the other hand did so many things right I really do believe it was/is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

As far as I am concerned I do not need a demo for this game, I will be buying it on launch day.

Mar 20, 2009, 14:21
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 14:21
Mar 20, 2009, 14:21

I don't know why everyone gets their balls in a knot over no demo releases though since it seems like there are fewer and fewer. It sucks but I trust gamerankings or any aggregated site to give me all the information I need. If it scores high on every site, I know something about the product just like if it scores low.
It's not the most important thing but it stacks up with other decisions, like Atari not releasing games on Steam in the UK. It's also sad that a demo has been made for other platforms but not PC. If they're not willing to keep with the times then what's their post-release support going to be like?

The reality is that demos help people that are on the edge decide whether or not they want the game. For instance, I didn't need one for Oblivion but did for Lost Planet.

Mar 20, 2009, 14:23
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 14:23
Mar 20, 2009, 14:23

PC Demos = Bit Torrent

Get with the times.

Wow, you're such a "cool dude!"

I believe Starbreeze said a PC demo would come out... the release date is more than 2 weeks away still. Even if it doesn't, the pedigree of this studio is amazing and they have released a ton of gameplay videos to judge by.

In all honesty, in the era of long, detailed gameplay videos in HD, I don't really see the need for demos. Reviews will tell you if the controls suck, and everything else is in the video.

Mar 20, 2009, 14:33
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 14:33
Mar 20, 2009, 14:33

Will you guys shut the fuck up about a demo? They already said they're releasing one for the PC by the end of the month, which gets your whiney asses a full week to come up with other excuses and justifications for pirating the game when it comes out.

Mar 20, 2009, 14:40
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 14:40
Mar 20, 2009, 14:40

Speaking of Steam, in the age of digital distribution I think demos should always be modular components of the full game. In other words, you wouldn't download all of the full game's assets, you would just get the ones the demo needed. But you would have part of the full game, so if you chose to buy the game, you would only need to download the extra assets and maybe a new executable. The demo could even incorporate integrated unlocking functionality. Why don't more games do this? Especially since these days demos are often nearly as big as the full version anyway. An added benefit of this would be removing the need to uninstall the demo and clean out registry entries and the like.

As for this game, it sounds interesting. I'll definitely download the demo when it comes out.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2009, 14:41.

Mar 20, 2009, 15:10
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 15:10
Mar 20, 2009, 15:10

Will you guys shut the fuck up about a demo? They already said they're releasing one for the PC by the end of the month, which gets your whiney asses a full week to come up with other excuses and justifications for pirating the game when it comes out.

LOL, amen!

Mar 20, 2009, 15:22
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 15:22
Mar 20, 2009, 15:22

Will you guys shut the fuck up about a demo? They already said they're releasing one for the PC by the end of the month
That's fair enough, as the last story I read said there was no word on a PC demo. I do believe it would be better to coordinate a demo for release on all platforms at the same time but it's not a big issue.

Speaking of Steam, in the age of digital distribution I think demos should always be modular components of the full game. In other words, you wouldn't download all of the full game's assets, you would just get the ones the demo needed. But you would have part of the full game, so if you chose to buy the game, you would only need to download the extra assets and maybe a new executable. The demo could even incorporate integrated unlocking functionality. Why don't more games do this?
Well, that happens with smaller games on Steam - things like PopCap games and I think The Maw did it too, though that's more downloading the full game in a limited mode and unlocking it (much like the original Alone In The Dark did). But yeah, I'd definitely like to see that become more common.

It's still disappointing that it's not showing up on GamersGate, D2D or Steam. But, off topic, I'm glad that Braid is now in the 'Coming Soon' tab of Steam.

Mar 20, 2009, 16:23
Cutter

Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 16:23
Mar 20, 2009, 16:23
 Cutter

If you didn't play the original, you missed a great game. I'll be picking this baby up - site unseen - and so will all of you.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Mar 20, 2009, 16:24
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 16:24
Mar 20, 2009, 16:24

Yeah, I think it was one of the best single player FPS games I have ever played. The first-person hand-to-hand combat is the best ever. I hate stealth games but in CoR stealth was done right. The pacing in the game was great. Player movement and weapons were tight.

I normaly buy games for the multiplayer but I picked up CoR because of the buzz the game was getting. It is the only single-player FPS that I was really compelled to play all the way through. I have so many AAA FPS titles that I have never finished. CoR on the other hand did so many things right I really do believe it was/is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

As far as I am concerned I do not need a demo for this game, I will be buying it on launch day.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I can see how someone who hasn't played the original would want a demo though. Rather than wait for the demo, just search your local bargain bin for The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. You can pick that up for $10 now and you won't be disappointed.
"As a species, we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room,
we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you
think we invented politics and religion?"

Mar 20, 2009, 16:25
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 16:25
Mar 20, 2009, 16:25

i wish i could complain that when the first game came out it was only $19.95. it was an excellent value worth more than it should have been. i guess jacking up the price will now match the increased quality... i hope.

Mar 20, 2009, 16:39
Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 16:39
Mar 20, 2009, 16:39

I want a demo not because I'm concerned with gameplay, but rather the portjob itself. There seems to be a trend of releasing terrible PC ports lately. I already got fucked over with Mass Effect, don't want to make the same mistake again.
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer