Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Star Trek D-A-C?

Star Trek Games reports on an insert being included with the Star Trek Season One Blu-ray set teasing a game called Star Trek D-A-C, saying it will be available in May, 2009. The only other thing known for certain at this point is the participation of Naked Sky Entertainment (Roboblitz) as developer, but May is not far off, so we'll probably learn more soon.
View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 10, 2009, 18:29 Jedi Master

If it was shot on regular video cameras, then no, you can't have it in HD because you're just upscaling a regular image, same as playing a regular DVD on a BD player.
Many modern TV shows are shot on HD digital cameras, such as BSG and the final years of Star Trek Enterprise, so BD lets you see lots of stuff you can't see on the down-res to standard DVD.

Film is dependent on the stock it was shot on, how good the original picture was supposed to be (Clerks, for example, will always look like it does), and the age of the source. A film from 1996 looks better than one from 1966 most of the time. However, a good restoration, such as has been done with the Bond flicks on BD, can make it look so good you won't believe your eyes.

When it comes to HD, think of this...when you take a picture with a 5MP camera, doesn't it look better than a 1MP camera? Of course it does. Use those digital cameras to take a picture of a photograph. The 5MP camera's pic will look better than the 1MP's. That's basically how they convert film to video, HD or standard--you scan each frame at a given resolution. Scan it at 1920x1080 (or higher) and it's HD. I say higher because when you see a movie at a DLP theater now, it's not 1080p. I think the res is 4x higher in each direction, so 16x more pixels than a 1080p display?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 10, 2009, 13:57 Creston

TNG on Blu-Ray would probably be pointless. It was edited on video, so there's not a lot they can do to improve the quality beyond the DVD releases.

I don't really understand old stuff being released on Blu-Ray anyways. Doesn't it basically upscale, and that's all it does? If it was originally shot in non-HD, they're not going to miraculously turn it into HD. So you could just a DVD player with a good scaler and get the exact same effect?

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not that HD savvy, but it seems like a giant waste of cash to me.

If someone knows the definite answer to that, please let me know as I'm actually pretty damn curious.

Creston

7. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 10, 2009, 04:58 Ecthelion

I am just glad they are finally releasing Star Trek to Blu-ray. I have all 40 yellow dvds (2 episodes per) that I have waiting to compact to 3 brd cases. I hope for a speedy release of the other 25 seasons of material.
TNG on Blu-Ray would probably be pointless. It was edited on video, so there's not a lot they can do to improve the quality beyond the DVD releases.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 04:59.

6. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 10, 2009, 00:00 Z9000

I am just glad they are finally releasing Star Trek to Blu-ray. I have all 40 yellow dvds (2 episodes per) that I have waiting to compact to 3 brd cases. I hope for a speedy release of the other 25 seasons of material.  

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

5. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 9, 2009, 22:17 theyarecomingforyou

I'm really looking forward to the new movie and the MMO looks pretty promising (this coming from a non-MMO gamer). And while I have some serious doubts whether a decent Star Trek game can come out of nowhere to tie in with the movie launch I will save judgement until I learn more.  

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

4. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 9, 2009, 21:31 Ventura

Pretty please be an RTS w/ base building.  

3. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 9, 2009, 21:08 The Half Elf

I would say it's Divide And Conquer. Hopefully better then Legacy.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

2. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 9, 2009, 20:53 Bone43

Sorry It will suck.

1. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 9, 2009, 20:45 Wildone

The new trailer was outstanding. PLEASE DONT SUCK...  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >