11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Consolidation
Mar 4, 2009, 08:15
Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 4, 2009, 08:15
Mar 4, 2009, 08:15

@Crimson - All games I have gotten for PS3 that I own on 360 as well, load faster on PS3, scratch file or not. It's my understanding the reason there are those huge files is that during the design process, the game was not coded to use 2 layers of the blue ray so it would dump data for one of the layers to the HD to compensate. As for the Xbox, if I did not install 20 gigs of files off 2 discs to play The Last Remnant, it would be pretty unplayable in many people's opinions. In fact, MS rolled out that huge OS/Interface overhaul to include that feature so it could operate that way.

@Nox - Better usually means harder to develop for as harder to develop for usually equates to having to learn new things, change formats, basically retool to some extent in whatever fashion is required. Wave after wave of new hardware on the PC has already created these issues. So PS3 being different or more complicated may indeed be harder to develop for, but it's the better machine as well. It's also using technology that is already starting to show indications of becoming PC standards. So in this case, better does equate to harder to develop for. Can Sony do better on helping 3rd parties have an easier time? Absolutely. What I have gathered about Steam is that it's a big robot requiring the least amount of effort by a human possible. I think that chosen path of least resistance probably can be used as a good indicator of how some people develop software. Applauding others that are apparently trying to take away your rights of what you purchase, offer you less of a product, and not offer reasonable service, is something you need to rethink. Be careful what you wish for.

@Free Mumra - Panther, Saturn, hell even Amiga. It's sad to see some of the best machines get abandoned. PS3 is not falling in that catagory, well past that point. PS2 was also a bitch to develop for. People learned it, excelled at it, and damn, some of those games look and play better than some current gen titles. I find nothing amusing about people trying to turn a 3 system market in to 1.

@Wikidd - I have the dual shock 3 controllers (thinks that's what they are called). I love em. Oh and yeah, my xbox sounds like it's trying to take off when playing RPGs.

All of you feel free to have the last words.
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

Mar 3, 2009, 18:20
Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 3, 2009, 18:20
Mar 3, 2009, 18:20

This is just a blatant post-hoc justification. Sony doesn't know how to build a platform like MS does (c.f. Windows - we all hate it but it's number one for a reason). They assumed PS2 was successful because of its stupid EE/GS with a VU in each rather than despite it.

MS knows that an easy development environment is the most important thing. That means more apps (in this case games) and that means more sales for them, which is a shame cos I'd really like to play all my console games on a machine that doesn't sound like an aircraft carrier and has a decent controller.

Mar 3, 2009, 15:16
Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 3, 2009, 15:16
Mar 3, 2009, 15:16

This is almost the exact same argument Sega used to justify Saturn's complicated architecture. In the end, developers flocked to Sony because PlayStation was much easier to program for. It's really amusing to watch history repeat itself.

Mar 3, 2009, 13:04
Nox
Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 3, 2009, 13:04
Mar 3, 2009, 13:04
Nox

Well, if it wasn't harder to develop for, it would mean it's the exact same as any 2005 pc like the xbox, and not really offering more hardware wise. I appreciate Sony taking a huge loss to try and give me the best piece of hardware it could as a console at the point in time it did. I also think it's a form of anti piracy which may or may not work.

Better does not mean harder to develop for. Duh.

I guess you know better than Gabe Newell and all the other developers who say it's a waste of time.

Oh wait, you don't...

Mar 3, 2009, 10:25
Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 3, 2009, 10:25
Mar 3, 2009, 10:25

Learn to program for dual layer blu-ray instead of thowing 5 gig scratch files on the HD. Give your fans something to be amazed by like many dev houses are starting to do.
It's my understanding that the reason they offload some content onto the HDD is that the BR drive in the PS3 is too slow and this helps relieve some of the load times.
~~Crim~~

Mar 3, 2009, 06:21
Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 3, 2009, 06:21
Mar 3, 2009, 06:21

Well, if it wasn't harder to develop for, it would mean it's the exact same as any 2005 pc like the xbox, and not really offering more hardware wise. I appreciate Sony taking a huge loss to try and give me the best piece of hardware it could as a console at the point in time it did. I also think it's a form of anti piracy which may or may not work.

I suggest developers spend a little time to get to know the PS3 as you don't have much of a choice. Learn to program for dual layer blu-ray instead of thowing 5 gig scratch files on the HD. Give your fans something to be amazed by like many dev houses are starting to do.
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

Mar 3, 2009, 03:19
Flo
Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 3, 2009, 03:19
Mar 3, 2009, 03:19
Flo

but the 360 is spoon feeding the developer.
Welcome to the world of Microsoft, that's the story of their success.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Mar 3, 2009, 00:25
Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 3, 2009, 00:25
Mar 3, 2009, 00:25

The article is actually a bit comical.
Has anybody here read through an XBox 360 developers book? They're all over the place and the good ones can dumb the process down to little more than a Flash game development.

Inside of two chapters the book described in articulate detail, how and why to code a game for Live. Multiplayer goodness ootb.

The PS3 may be different (read: difficult), but the 360 is spoon feeding the developer.

Re: Sony
Mar 2, 2009, 23:16
Re: Sony Mar 2, 2009, 23:16
Mar 2, 2009, 23:16

lol, yea i was like O_O when i read the article

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

Re: Sony
Mar 2, 2009, 23:02
Re: Sony Mar 2, 2009, 23:02
Mar 2, 2009, 23:02

2 studios, 2 titles I have worked on the Ps3 was always gonna be a 'port' and a pain the ass it was to even get that done. So much for developers wanting to take advantage of it eh..case in point.

Sony
Mar 2, 2009, 22:34
Sony Mar 2, 2009, 22:34
Mar 2, 2009, 22:34

Dear God, they get more fucking stupid every day over at Sony.

Even IF you take his comment at face value (hahahaha), that they deliberately made it more difficult to program for, so that devs would have 9.5 years to work up to the top of the capabilities of the hardware, what kind of fucked up reasoning is that?

So you'd rather have two years of shitty games, two years of mediocre games, two years or good games and then four years of awesome games as opposed to ten years of awesome games? Everyone at Sony should have their mouths sewn shut, so no more retarded swill can dribble from it.

Creston
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older