Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Op Ed

Edge Online - Left 4 Dead- An Autopsy. By NGai Croal.
"I want to take a closer look at last year's co-op zombie apocalypse shooter Left 4 Dead. Valve’s attention to detail and high levels of polish are well known, but after weeks of entertainment, I was still trying to tease apart on a fundamental level ‘How’d they do that?’ How did Valve take two tastes that taste great – survival horror and co-op – and make them taste great together? Here’s what I came up with."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2009, 18:11 rist3903

I like ventrilo more than the in game communication. I use that pretty much exclusively with the people I play (co-op) with.

On expert of course.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2009, 16:29 Wowbagger_TIP

Versus mode is a blast I love playing as infected and working with my team to pull off a coordinated attack that devastates the survivors Evilgrin  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2009, 16:21 Ruffiana

I absolutely adore this game beyond means to express it in words, so I'll offer up some tips for enjoying it:

1) Play with friends. Friends will make this game so much more enjoyable. Playing with random people is simply not as fun, unless you're facing off against them with a team of mates.
2) Use in-game voice comms. It's a must.
3) Play on expert. It's a must.

As for versus mode....well I've never tried it. Doesn't interest me in the slightest. Playing a game like this with random idiots you don't know seems like a waste of time to me, but I purchased it for LAN and private network play, so your mileage may vary.

Agree with playing on Expert, it's the only way to play this game in co-op. However I've never relied on the in-game voice coms or even voice chat using mics. Competent players don't need them. There are more than enough musical queues and automatic voice queues from the player characters. Incompetent players...lets face it...nothing's going to help those guys.

Playing with friends is also a good suggestion, but I generally played in random games online (on expert) and most of the time had good experiences. There's always the random chance of running into a griefer or getting a team with people who just can't play well with others and quit out of frustration...but I have more memories of playing with good people that I didn't know.

11. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2009, 16:02 Zzet

I absolutely adore this game beyond means to express it in words, so I'll offer up some tips for enjoying it:

1) Play with friends. Friends will make this game so much more enjoyable. Playing with random people is simply not as fun, unless you're facing off against them with a team of mates.
2) Use in-game voice comms. It's a must.
3) Play on expert. It's a must.

As for versus mode....well I've never tried it. Doesn't interest me in the slightest. Playing a game like this with random idiots you don't know seems like a waste of time to me, but I purchased it for LAN and private network play, so your mileage may vary.

10. Re: Question... Feb 18, 2009, 13:28 Shok

So I sent in a question to the support page, how long does it take to hear back from them?

I put in a support ticket last Friday around 5EST and they emailed me the next day about 3...

9. Re: Question... Feb 18, 2009, 12:52 Mark

But there's four of 'em, rist3903! Must be good, whatever the price. It does make me wonder how many people did end up buying the four pack at that price. I wanna see a Steam survey graph for that one.  

8. Re: Question... Feb 18, 2009, 12:48 rist3903

I am a fan of Left 4 Dead, but I had to smirk when their weekend deal they just had listed the game for 24.99 and right underneath that gave you the option to buy four copies for 149.99, only 50 dollars more than four individual copies.

What a bargain!

7. Re: Question... Feb 18, 2009, 12:32 Mark

It might take a few days The Half Elf. A while ago I had some billing problems during a sale period, and it wasn't resolved until after the sale had ended. The support guy said he couldn't do anything because the sales system is automated. So, if it's showing up as 49.99 for you now, then that's the way it's gonna be. (It's probably worth the bucks though, I was playing some awesome co-op last night.)  

6. Question... Feb 18, 2009, 11:42 The Half Elf

Left 4 Dead was suppose to be 25 bucks till the 17th, except yesterday (the 17th) it said it was 49.99. So I sent in a question to the support page, how long does it take to hear back from them?  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

5. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2009, 11:35 Wowbagger_TIP

The game is a lot more polished than most games I've played recently. It does have a few problems, but it's still a fantastic game, and one of the most enjoyable co-op games I've ever played.

They did so very many things right with this game that the few mistakes they made are probably a bit more jarring. But it's still a ton of fun and given Valve's history of great support for their games, I'm sure it will continue to get better.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2009, 05:47 CreamyBlood

I was replaying HL2 last night and when I quit, their popup was there, saying "LFD Half Price Sale Extended, click to find out more". Of course, I'd had Steam running for a day or so, so I missed the popup deal.

I played the demo before it went retail and wasn't impressed, but like many said, you have to play with real people online. I'll wait for the next free weekend or maybe gamble twenty bucks on it the next time I notice a sale. (And am not too busy playing another one of their games and miss 'the sale').

3. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2009, 04:17 Ventura

It's far from being a bad game, but let's get real, it's not exactly a "how'd they do that?" title.  

2. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2009, 03:50 Jerykk

I don't think L4D really qualifies as survival horror, given that you're constantly mowing down thousands of zombies with pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, gatling turrets, pipe bombs, molotov cocktails, etc.  

1. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2009, 02:59 Caveman

The game is in need of some SERIOUS patching, it's chock full of bugs and exploits, most of which can ruin the game.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >