52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: Morning Consolidation
Feb 13, 2009, 11:23
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 11:23
Feb 13, 2009, 11:23

Before xmas lots of folks here gently berated me about my suspicion that the PS3 was withering. I thought that because Sony's PR machine was strangely quiet about sales and PR releases to media outlets were unusually vague.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 11:24.

Feb 13, 2009, 11:54
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 11:54
Feb 13, 2009, 11:54

Call me silly, but I have a feeling that the lack of PS3 sales may be due to, I don't know, maybe a downed economy?!?! When people are getting laid off or could potentially loose their jobs, the LAST thing that's going to get purchased is a $400 machine used for entertainment purposes. This trend will stay true until the economy turns around, until then Sony had better hold on tight (and I'm sure they'll ease back on the marketing as well).
~~Crim~~

Feb 13, 2009, 11:56
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 11:56
Feb 13, 2009, 11:56

Except that according to that article Microsoft saw sales grow 25.5 per cent, from 230,000 units in January 2008 to 309,000 units in January 2009. I agree that it's the economy in part, but people still want a console, it's just not a PS3. The 360 is going up and the PS3 is going down.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 12:06.

Feb 13, 2009, 12:06
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 12:06
Feb 13, 2009, 12:06

I'm a dummy.. which lead me to believe that with Blu Ray winning the war, the PS3 would've taken control by a good margin.

Serious question:
why does the 360 outsell the PS3? titles? better online component?
I don't own a console, but I've been thinking of picking up a new 1080p tv and a console for a while now.. i could've sworn the PS3 would've been the console to get.

Also, why is it so damn expensive still?
The amount of damage done to the US in the first week alone has to have China and Russia laughing at us.

Feb 13, 2009, 12:18
Quboid

Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 12:18
Feb 13, 2009, 12:18
 Quboid

Maybe the recession is why MS is beating Sony. There is still money about, not everyone's in financial trouble and about to lose their house - and people still want to be entertained. But people are going to be more careful with their money even if they're doing OK because of the constant reminders that jobs are being lost. Result = people looking for a games console will research a bit more, look around, and most will find no compelling reason to pay the extra for a PS3.

Just a theory. One that ignores the Wii, but then most people seem to ignore the Wii now that the novelty has worn off.

Feb 13, 2009, 12:24
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 12:24
Feb 13, 2009, 12:24

It isn't the recession...the PS3 is just a weaker system gamewise than the 360. Period. The good games it has can be counted on one human normally developed hand. BLU-Ray? This format is dead in the water for now due to the tremendous up-scaling abilities of current players.

Feb 13, 2009, 12:25
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 12:25
Feb 13, 2009, 12:25

Wii sales are still going strong.

• January - 679,200 Wii sales in 2009

http://blog.mlive.com/manzero/2009/02/wii_sets_january_sales_record.html

I agree that people still want entertainment in this economy. I suppose a "staycation" with a console at home is a cheap alternative to a vacation. I have to wonder though if the Wii might also be the introduction console that gets people interested in gaming, leading to either a 360 or a PS3.

Feb 13, 2009, 12:39
Quboid

Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 12:39
Feb 13, 2009, 12:39
 Quboid

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I suppose I hear little about it because it's a different market - my friend's mum bought one a few months back and I can't imagine her considering a 360 or PS3. OTOH, I wouldn't really consider getting a Wii (not that my 360 gets much action).

Feb 13, 2009, 12:42
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 12:42
Feb 13, 2009, 12:42

One that ignores the Wii, but then most people seem to ignore the Wii now that the novelty has worn off.

Really? People are ignoring the Wii? Have you seen the sales figures for the last few months, or just talking out your ass? (Edit: well at least you admit to it)

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_November_2008

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_December_2008

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_January_2009

Wii is dominating hardware AND software. Nevermind the DS...Nintendo is king right now.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 12:43.

Feb 13, 2009, 12:52
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 12:52
Feb 13, 2009, 12:52

BLU-Ray? This format is dead in the water for now due to the tremendous up-scaling abilities of current players.

Bullshit. It's already been established several times in previous discussions that at this point in the life of Blu-Ray the install base is already higher than DVD was at the same time in it's life. So please refrain from spreading crap you don't know about.

As for the PS3, mine was stolen... but I'll be buying another PS3 before even considering a Wii or 360.

Feb 13, 2009, 13:07
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 13:07
Feb 13, 2009, 13:07

Blueray won't die, it will eventually replace DVD. It probably won't ever have the giant sales DVD had. I don't see people entirely replacing their DVD collections with BR. I do see people eventually buying new blueray titles instead of DVDs once the prices are comparable.
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

Feb 13, 2009, 13:22
Quboid

Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 13:22
Feb 13, 2009, 13:22
 Quboid

Really? People are ignoring the Wii? Have you seen the sales figures for the last few months, or just talking out your ass? (Edit: well at least you admit to it)

Yes, I guess I was. I was wrong to imply it's not selling - I knew it was selling well (although I didn't realise how well). What I really meant to say is that it's not particular relevant to the sort of people who post here, where the Wii rarely gets mentioned.

In my defence, who else had mentioned it in this thread before I had? No one - there was only 360 vs PS3 discussions. MMORPGHoD (who, unlike me, seems to have RTFA in the first place) didn't mention it initially and only compared the 360 and PS3. ColoradoHoudini and MrBone also ignored it, and I don't think they're wrong. For most of us, there's no question of PS3 vs 360 vs Wii. The Wii isn't really a competitor in the same market.

Feb 13, 2009, 13:24
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 13:24
Feb 13, 2009, 13:24

I do see people eventually buying new blueray titles instead of DVDs once the prices are comparable.

The only people who will be buying Blu-Ray movies down the road are the same people insisted on Laser-Discs forever.

Online distribution is going to annihilate the DVD home sales market. Just decimate it. When companies transition to sell their movies to consumers without spending tons of money making a physical product, and just load it straight onto their computer for $1 or $2, physical media is going to be obsolete.

Remember how we each had an email program, like Eudora, to download our email? Gmail? Yahoo Mail? Almost every mail provider is storing this stuff for you remotely now... (which has it's own risks) Remember how we used to load our photos on our computers to save? Flickr anyone?

How long will it be until you can watch any movie you want on your iphone for a fee? (legally...)

Blu-Ray is not going to appeal to the vast majority of consumers going forward. They won't even need DVD players anymore, or any player for that matter. Their cable box will deliver whatever they want.

Feb 13, 2009, 13:32
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 13:32
Feb 13, 2009, 13:32

not particular relevant to the sort of people who post here, where the Wii rarely gets mentioned.

I think you'd be surprised. It's a guilty pleasure for many. It's exactly what's needed to get girlfriends and families playing games. Do hardcore gamers around here play the Wii often? Probably not. Hell Ive even considered the Wii cus there are more games there that my GF would play...but neither of us are too keen on swinging the wiimote around. Little Big Planet on the other hand...my girlfriend has considered replacing the PS3 even before her laptop so we can get back to playing LBP.

Feb 13, 2009, 13:39
Quboid

Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 13:39
Feb 13, 2009, 13:39
 Quboid

My mail is kept in Thunderbird on my PC. As are my photos - do you really trust everything to Google/etc? Plus, it would take nearly 2 days to download a Blu-ray quality movie to my PC on my current net connection and I can't see that improving very quickly.

I wouldn't even try to predicate Blu-ray sales compared to DVD sales, but I believe Blu-ray will take over. It might be the last physical media to do so, in much the same way as CDs were the last audio physical media to sell in big numbers - SACD, DVD-A and Vinyl are niche formats and I could see Blu-ray's successor being the same.

I'm also in no great hurry to ever watch any movie on a pocket sized screen, but that's a different kettle of pandas.

I saw my first ever HD-DVDs for sale today too. Miami Vice for £15. I was tempted, my player plays everything, but if I ever want to play it elsewhere or after this drive has gone, I'd be SOL.

Feb 13, 2009, 13:41
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 13:41
Feb 13, 2009, 13:41

Also, why is it so damn expensive still?

Because Sony is completely full of themselves.

There is literally a handful of PS3 exclusives that look worth playing. The 360 is the machine to get.

Feb 13, 2009, 13:50
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 13:50
Feb 13, 2009, 13:50

The only people who will be buying Blu-Ray movies down the road are the same people insisted on Laser-Discs forever.

Most people that bought into Laser Disc are now middle aged or older. The market has changed drastically since LD's, completely different demographics.

Online distribution is going to annihilate the DVD home sales market. Just decimate it.

It's funny, on one hand you have people touting how online won't take over because people want to own a physical product...on the other hand you have people stating online distro is going to take over.

Blu-Ray quality is far higher than any online/digital distro. It's also a physical product, it also holds a lot of extras (people like extras), you are only going to get the movies from digital distro not extras. Blu-Ray prices are already coming down, and really the average Blu-Ray is only $5 more than the DVD.

Anyone that is actually smart, is only going to upgrade certain movies to Blu-Ray and maintain their existing DVD collection. Most RomComs & drama's etc, DVD will do fine. Action, Sci-Fi, Fantasy...get on Blu-Ray.

How long will it be until you can watch any movie you want on your iphone for a fee? (legally...)

Mobile tv and movies are a completely different market and is hardly comparable to the home theatre market...convenience vs quality.

Their cable box will deliver whatever they want.

Infrastructure isn't there to support that, yet. It's started, sure. Maybe in 25 years it's a possibility that everything will be digital, but not anytime soon, certainly won't happen during Blu-Rays lifetime.

Feb 13, 2009, 14:13
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 14:13
Feb 13, 2009, 14:13

The PS3 is effectively dead.

The economy is shit for most people and the last thing they are going to do is drop $500 on a game console. They may drop $299 for a 360 or $250 for a Wii but not $500.

The whole blu-ray angle was a ridiculous selling point to begin with.

Feb 13, 2009, 14:36
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 14:36
Feb 13, 2009, 14:36

"Anyone that is actually smart, is only going to upgrade certain movies to Blu-Ray and maintain their existing DVD collection. Most RomComs & drama's etc, DVD will do fine. Action, Sci-Fi, Fantasy...get on Blu-Ray."

Please. Anyone that is actually smart will completely ignore Blu-Ray altogether. DVD quality is all you need. People need a reality check here. Blu-Ray is just an unnecessary format. Digital IS the future and it's much sooner than you seem to think. DVD straight to digital is the correct upgrade path. Blu-Ray is a total scam and a complete waste of money. It's for uninformed consumers who are willing to be milked out of yet more money for picture quality that just isn't that much better than DVD.

Feb 13, 2009, 14:55
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2009, 14:55
Feb 13, 2009, 14:55

DVD quality is all you need. People need a reality check here. Blu-Ray is just an unnecessary format.

That's your opinion. And I heard the same thing during the transition from VHS to DVD. If you are satisfied with DVD quality, good on ya. There is a huge difference and if you have even a half decent home theatre, DVD quality is NOT good enough.

Like it's already been stated, Blu-Ray is doing better than DVD was at the same point in it's life.

Digital IS the future and it's much sooner than you seem to think.

With what infrastructure? Even the "experts" say it's a minimum 20 years off.

DVD straight to digital is the correct upgrade path.

If you rent only, yes. Do you never want to have your own copies of movies to re-watch whenever? Do you not want extras?

It's for uninformed consumers who are willing to be milked out of yet more money for picture quality that just isn't that much better than DVD.

You must be blind or you actually don't have a decent home theatre. There are plenty of comparison screenshots out there. If you can't see the difference between a blurry face on DVD vs the clear sharp image that Blu-Ray provides. This is an HD vs DVD comparison, but same diff... http://www.dvhardware.net/news/transformers_hd_dvd_vs_dvd.jpg

Let me put it this way...would you play a game at 720x480 when you can get such a massive image quality increase going to 1920x1080? Of course not.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 15:03.
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer