Dragon Age: Origins Origins

BioWare has unveiled the titular origins from Dragon Age: Origins, as this page leads to flash presentations with the back-stories for all six characters in the upcoming RPG they are calling the spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate, saying, "With each Origin Story boasting several hours of unique game play, as well as challenging strategic combat and exploration, these 6 distinct preludes make Dragon Age: Origins the first BioWare game to offer not only multiple endings, but also multiple beginnings." The six characters are the Dalish Elf, the City Elf, the Dwarf Commoner, the Dwarf Noble, the Mage, and the Human Noble, and they say: "The player’s choice of Origin Story lays the foundation for a profound journey based on the character’s past experiences, establishing how they perceive the world and how the world perceives them. The choices you made during an Origin Story will influence the way the game unfolds, including different story elements, dialogue options and even plot branches, providing a wealth of replayability."
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Yeah it's great
Feb 13, 2009, 04:43
Re: Yeah it's great Feb 13, 2009, 04:43
Feb 13, 2009, 04:43

At a guess, I'd say that 99% of the Vault Hall of Fame modules for both NWN1 and NWN2 are all single player modules. So that doesn't worry me.

But that's thinking that people would have a reason to upload personal MP modules used to host all of the server vaults/persistant servers for both NWN1 and 2. Some of the more popular NWN1/2 servers consisted of these and there's a pretty dedicated audience for that kind of stuff.

It's definitely unique to learn the toolset, build your own mini-MMO, shape it and to evolve it to what you want it to be. That kind of modding is wholely unique to the PC platform so it's sad to see that Dragon Age won't continue that from NWN1 and 2.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 04:54.

Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins
Feb 13, 2009, 03:04
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 13, 2009, 03:04
Feb 13, 2009, 03:04

Yeah but what good are the tools? NWN1/2 weren't great as CRPG's by any stretch and you need a near committed team of professionals to make anything good with the NWN tools anyway. I can't imagine how DA's tools are going to be any better for the average user.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 13, 2009, 00:49
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 13, 2009, 00:49
Feb 13, 2009, 00:49

I am not going to pretend it was ZOMG BEST GAME EVAR! or anything, but Mass Effect was hardly meh. Pretty good actually.

Yeah, if you like dumbed down controls and gameplay, repetitive scenery (rooms), idiotic implementation of side missions and a game value of 10-20 hours.
Sorry, but for former BioWare standards, Mass Effect was far closer to meh than to pretty good or decent.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 00:50.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Feb 13, 2009, 00:11
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 13, 2009, 00:11
Feb 13, 2009, 00:11

And if you are one of those thinking they are going to use this time to polish the PC version

They won't do shit to the PC version. In fact, I doubt they're even testing it anymore. It's been put on a shelf and if we're lucky someone will install it in five months on a Dell to make sure that at least the installer still works.

Fucking EA.

Creston

Feb 13, 2009, 00:09
Re: Yeah it's great Feb 13, 2009, 00:09
Feb 13, 2009, 00:09

The toolset will be just for singleplayer modules and while that's nice in itself, it'll hardly compare to NWN1's toolset just by the nature of NWN having a multiplayer component.

At a guess, I'd say that 99% of the Vault Hall of Fame modules for both NWN1 and NWN2 are all single player modules. So that doesn't worry me.

Creston

Feb 12, 2009, 23:11
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 12, 2009, 23:11
Feb 12, 2009, 23:11

My guess was Dragon Age's development shifted toward the consoles when EA took control. It appears to be true since they aren't far behind.

I'm sure it did. However, at this point, I don't think it really matters. Dragon Age PC is done. It's original release date was what, a month away? That means they are already well into beta and nothing changes in beta except for bug-fixing. Development of the console versions will have no effect on the PC version aside from taking away polishing time.

I'm still looking forward to DA, if only because it has actual cRPG values. Strategic combat, a mouse/keyboard-centric interface, full dialogue trees, etc. The setting itself seems pretty uninspired but I'm willing to overlook that if the gameplay measures up.

P.S. The music on the official Origin stories page is pretty awesome.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2009, 23:55.

Feb 12, 2009, 22:57
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 12, 2009, 22:57
Feb 12, 2009, 22:57

When the news broke that it was delayed I didn't pay much attention to it. I figured no biggie a month or two longer won't hurt anything. Then my friend told me the date and I text him saying those @#$%^& $%&(&*@ delayed it until the console release date.

When I got home from work the other day I finally decided to read the thread from their forums and near the beginning there's admittance that that was part of the reason... I was pissed... then later the same guy trying to retract the statement? I just stopped there. 86 pages and I don't want to know nor do I care.

My guess was Dragon Age's development shifted toward the consoles when EA took control. It appears to be true since they aren't far behind.

Yeah, I'm pissed. But everybody knows money talks. Once you've sold your soul to the devil... or EA... you are nothing more than a puppet.

If anything else comes out at release I'll be buying that instead of Dragon Age. When I buy it I'll buy it as late as I possibly can and if the player reviews are negative I may not buy it at all.

It's not a stretch to feel betrayed after all the BS about this being a PC exclusive... then console releases... to the present situation. And if you are one of those thinking they are going to use this time to polish the PC version... for six months... you are high. I'd bet the team has already been striped down and moved on to other projects or toward the consoles.

Maybe somebody who lurks among the Bioware forums can shed some more light. Not that it will change most of our attitudes...

Feb 12, 2009, 22:55
Re: Yeah it's great Feb 12, 2009, 22:55
Feb 12, 2009, 22:55

And that's why it's being held up for 8 months to have a simultaneous console release? I don't remember X-box titles like ME and Kotor being held up until the PC version was ready.

It's all about marketing. EA doesn't want to have to market the game twice (first for the PC release and again for the console releases) so they decided to delay the PC version. Is it a crappy decision? Hell yeah. You don't see publishers delaying console releases for PC versions. But that's what the industry is like these days.

I really hope you're right. But I suspect from a cost standpoint they're just going to go for a lowest common denominator straight port between the platforms like they did with ME

Except the PC version is basically finished at this point. It's the lead SKU so they have no reason to change it at all for the console versions. Unlike 99.9% of multiplatform titles, DA was developed for the PC first and foremost. In fact, it was the only SKU until EA bought them and decided to make it multiplatform.

Feb 12, 2009, 22:39
Re: Yeah it's great Feb 12, 2009, 22:39
Feb 12, 2009, 22:39

The difference in the toolsets with NWN1 and what I'm hearing about DragonAge is that DA has no form of multiplayer whatsoever. The toolset will be just for singleplayer modules and while that's nice in itself, it'll hardly compare to NWN1's toolset just by the nature of NWN having a multiplayer component.

Speaking of which, given how popular co-op is nowadays, I don't really understand why Bioware couldn't have spent some time working on adding a basic co-op mode to DA, especially since BG1 and 2 had co-op. I've had some fond memories of creating all kinds of BG characters with my friends and just playing through the storyline in co-op mode with them :/

Feb 12, 2009, 21:19
AW
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 12, 2009, 21:19
AW

In the past 12 months, I have went from total hype for this game to wanting it to bomb, badly. But it won't because it's a Bioware game and people will try by virtue of name alone.

Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 12, 2009, 21:19

The more I hear about Dragon Age, the more I feel I'm being fed sunshine.

Exposition for the game, already? Really?

Feb 12, 2009, 21:18
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 12, 2009, 21:18
Feb 12, 2009, 21:18

"Spiritual Successor" = instant $$$ from all the players who loved the previous game(s)and the perfect excuse for later when they start complaining about the game after they already bought it.

Feb 12, 2009, 20:28
RP
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 12, 2009, 20:28
Feb 12, 2009, 20:28
RP

I swear it's as though the developers of old are all gone.

It's a damn shame, isn't it? They've been bought out by EA, disbanded by MS, or turned into console game outfits. It's disappointing how games from EA and Co. seem to be regressing in everything except graphics.

Fallout 3 outsold the original Fallout series. That says everything. It's all about the money, ya?

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2009, 21:32.

Feb 12, 2009, 19:40
Re: Yeah it's great Feb 12, 2009, 19:40
Feb 12, 2009, 19:40

Remember folks, this is a PC title. It's not one of those 'developing alongside PC and console' games with console-itis. It's a PC game through and through, IE there is ZERO need for Bioware to dumb down or simplify the game. I'm hoping it has the magic of Bioware with the detail and depth of Witcher. If Bioware remembers their core crowd they should make a game that is complex, deep and with great tools for the community to make all kinds of goodies, ala NWN.

And that's why it's being held up for 8 months to have a simultaneous console release? I don't remember X-box titles like ME and Kotor being held up until the PC version was ready.

I really hope you're right. But I suspect from a cost standpoint they're just going to go for a lowest common denominator straight port between the platforms like they did with ME, and having got a pc copy of Mass Effect off Ebay this week I have to note that what looks good 10ft away on a 42" screen does not look good 3ft away on a 22" one. Even with everything pumped up as high as possible the textures look awful, and don't get me started on those lifts...

Feb 12, 2009, 19:08
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 12, 2009, 19:08
Feb 12, 2009, 19:08

I swear it's as though the developers of old are all gone.
Now all we have are little fuckwits and punkswads to design games for us who would glorify gameplay.

It's as though the industry doesn't remember.
I think it's because this generation of 'designers' hasn't appreciated the games that we old gamers have.

This is pathetic, and useless. I give up.

Spiritual successor my fucking ass. Baldurs Gate? Hokay, maybe if you didn't have a specific six characters who made it seem more like the spiritual successor to DIABLO!

Christ almighty, nothing is sacred... nothing is holy.
All is for profit.
Long live the dollah.

Feb 12, 2009, 18:46
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 12, 2009, 18:46
Feb 12, 2009, 18:46

Perhaps after meh titles like Mass Effect

I am not going to pretend it was ZOMG BEST GAME EVAR! or anything, but Mass Effect was hardly meh. Pretty good actually.
”Not many people know I owned the first radio in Springfield. Weren’t much on the air then. Just Edison reciting the alphabet over and over. “A,” he’d say. Then “B.” “C” would usually follow."

Feb 12, 2009, 18:43
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 12, 2009, 18:43
Feb 12, 2009, 18:43

this game is so far away from Baldurs Gate and all that - dont try to insult our intelligence with this "spiritual successor" bullshit, fucking marketing tagline nonsense

and yes, that is the understanding of Bioware "oh but you can play it 6 times!! so its not a 20 hr game, its a 120 hr game!! oh yeh, thats right!"

just ridiculous..

there is basically no developer that EVER stays "true to the roots" and all that garbage.. its all lip service - the more money is involved, the more chance it will SUCK DONKEY BALLS.. which is a shame considering all the things you can do with shitloads of money

Feb 12, 2009, 18:36
Re: Yeah it's great Feb 12, 2009, 18:36
Feb 12, 2009, 18:36

8 months? Shit I've been waiting for this game since it was initially announced 6 YEARS ago.

Personally I'm pretty hyped over the game. I think folks are underhyping themselves so they don't get bummed when this game comes out and it doesn't live up to the BG series.

Then again I thought ME was solid and Jade Empire was very strong IMHO (at least the PC version was.) Course neither were remotely the treasure that the BG series was.

Perhaps the biggest reason I'm looking forward to the game it is sposed to have a NWN style toolset and the NWN1 toolset was very user friendly and fans (myself included) were still making new content for the game 5+ years after it initially came out. Shit there are still people releasing new user creations pretty much daily. Now if they can make a toolkit with the power of the NWN2 one with the user friendly features of the NWN1 tools, I'll be making mods a decade from now.

Remember folks, this is a PC title. It's not one of those 'developing alongside PC and console' games with console-itis. It's a PC game through and through, IE there is ZERO need for Bioware to dumb down or simplify the game. I'm hoping it has the magic of Bioware with the detail and depth of Witcher. If Bioware remembers their core crowd they should make a game that is complex, deep and with great tools for the community to make all kinds of goodies, ala NWN.

Edit: PLEASE put it on Steam Bioware!

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2009, 18:43.

Yeah it's great
Feb 12, 2009, 18:17
Yeah it's great Feb 12, 2009, 18:17
Feb 12, 2009, 18:17

Too bad that we've got to wait EIGHT FUCKING MONTHS for the game because you had to whore yourself out to EA.

But sure, we'll keep looking at every bit of propaganda you put out there. After all, what's eight months amongst friends, right?

Creston

Feb 12, 2009, 18:02
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Origins Feb 12, 2009, 18:02
Feb 12, 2009, 18:02

I don't know why there's pessimism about this title... Bioware is still ace in my book, and the art design and PC focus of this title is a Godsend.

Cool intros.
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older