Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay

SEGA and Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising Announce New Aliens vs. Predator Game has word that a new Aliens vs. Predator game is in the works at Rebellion, developers of the highly regarded 1999 first-person shooter. There are few details right now other than an early 2010 release window, but SEGA promises to reveal more soon. In the meantime the implication is clear that the release of Aliens: Colonial Marines, previously planned for this year, is being delayed as part of all this alienation, with SEGA saying it has "updated the release of the other upcoming Aliens titles currently in development within its portfolio." The announcement quotes CEO of SEGA West, Naoya Tsurumi saying: "By adjusting the release of our other Aliens titles to accommodate it, SEGA will ensure that every title lives up to the high expectations of Aliens and AvP fans." Thanks nin and Kotaku.
View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: New Aliens vs. Predator Feb 12, 2009, 17:37 Ventura

I'd much rather they try than not try. I didn't dislike AvP2 as much as most, and even though I must admit to having preferred the original, I've had problems of late running that one on my computer.

Oh yeah, greets to Shataan and Sadogoat

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: New Aliens vs. Predator Feb 12, 2009, 17:24 Shataan

The really sad part is.... this is all heresay till we SEE some ingame vids, detailed pics etc etc etc. GB will continue to keep open their Aliens forum which has absolutely no reason for being, other than to force interested parties into further thumb twiddling for who knows how long.... while they wait for a game that may not come at all.

Rebellion too will prolly open an AVP 3 specualtion forum, let peeps who have waited since AVP 2 for a new AVP show up there to twiddle their thmbs for a year or more, and they too will see the game they have waited for get delayed, or better yet? Sega will cancel the game ultimately.

26. Re: New Aliens vs. Predator Feb 12, 2009, 12:52 Brainp0wa

Cool. I preferred AVP2 to AVP, but what the hey.  

25. Re: New Aliens vs. Predator Feb 12, 2009, 01:11 Surf

The ONLY good Aliens game was the 99 PC game, thats it. Nothing before or since was considered good.

The flares were great, the fire excellent, some of the maps were just stellar (such as the locked down base that the Aliens eventually get into) and the coop play.

What a blast.

Should just be Marines vs. Aliens and no Predator. Crossing the two Sci Fi movies was a sin beyond words.

24. Re: New Aliens vs. Predator Feb 11, 2009, 20:26 Sadogoat

I'll sit on the fence on this one. Personally, I'd much rather have Aliens: Colonial Marines than another AvP game - especially considering that Rebellion haven't exactly put out any stellar games since 1999's AvP on the PC (their more recent AvPR game for the PSP was generally received as mediocre). Just because they put out two good AvP games 10-15 years ago doesn't mean they still have the 'old magic'. Just look what happened to (now Rebellion-owned) Core Design as an example of a developer who once churned out gold that gradually turned to crap.  

23. Re: New AvP Feb 11, 2009, 16:43 Prez

Thrilled that a new AvP is in the works. But I'm half-expecting news about recharging health, auto-aim, tiny levels, terrible UI, half-assed mouse support, and other consoleriffic concessions to the XBOX 360.

I hope I'm wrong.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: New AvP Feb 11, 2009, 16:22  dsmart 

This news of AvP going to Rebellion to me just means that the entire team at Gearbox (?) currently working on CM, had better start looking for jobs right about now because as soon as that puppy goes Gold, they're outta there. Sega just posted mind boggling losses, so this is hardly news.  

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

21. Re: New AvP Feb 11, 2009, 16:04 Indigo

Rebellion doing the third AvP is great news for Aliens and AvP fans like me. The first AvP was the only video game that ever genuinely scared me, making me jump in my chair. Instead of the monster-jumping-out-of-the-closet or loud-noise-coming-out-of-steam-pipes style of scaring players, the game built up immense tension over the course of a level. Anyone can make a monster jump out from behind an object screaming, but to toy with your nerves like they did with AvP, that's video game art.

It's also the ONLY game (that I ever played, anyway) that used darkness extensively and managed to make it a great gameplay element instead of just being fucking annoying -- I'm looking at you, Doom 3. Walking down a dark hallway of an abandoned space station while hearing the faint sound of a facehugger moving towards you in a corner -- but you don't know WHICH corner -- gives me chills to this day.

It was the first game I've played that used destructible lighting. It had a GREAT flamethrower and the accompanying fire effect. I remember to this day some of the sound effects from AvP: the way the aliens screamed as they ran around on fire, the punchy sound the bullets made as they impacted with metal, or the CRUNCH they made as they tore into the bodies of aliens, the drumming of the sentry guns as I tried to sprint past them as an alien... such fun times.

AvP was also crazy hard without being annoying. I played through the game a couple of times on Director's Cut before the first patch that introduced savegames. I was damn proud of myself

I don't care how long AvP 3 or A:CM takes. The wait is so long between quality AvP games and Alien movies, I can wait for the good stuff. Take your time, developers, and make sure you deliver us a gem.

20. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 16:03 Cutter

This is good news. I'd also like to see a werewolf vs. vampire (Underworld) game along this line too.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

19. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 15:21 CrimsonPaw

I guess I was the only one who liked AvP2. I played the original also, but I don't really remember any parts of the game, unlike AvP2.
Nope, I'm there with you. I picked it up at EBGames used after taking back Return to Castle Wolfenstein and was pleasantly surprised. I also about pissed myself at multiple parts playing the Marines section. I liked playing the preditor (loved the weapons), but it seems that I ended up getting stuck at one point and never got past it.

Looking forward to this one though, again, as long as they don't fuck it up (give this shit to Starbreeze).

~~Crim~~

18. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 15:01 nin

They are afterall, the original Devs for the stellar (at the time) Jaguar console AVP

That was the game I bought a Jaguar for...

And damn was it fun...

17. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 14:52 Kxmode

Everytime I played I always sneaked up behind some oblivious Marine with my Alien and pwned them. Looked something like this: Alien Flamethrower

Needless to say AVP multiplayer was a blast!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 14:44 Wildone

AvP2 was a lot of fun multiplayer, even though it had its lag/balance issues it was still cool. I went thru the single player missions and they were 'ok' but got it most for MP games. The first Avp game was hard as hell with the limited save but that made it even more tense.  

15. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 14:21 Ray Ban

I think both AvP games were good, each in it's own way. I'm more skeptical this time around, fearing this game will be infested with a horror more gruesome than the alien itself ...

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2009, 14:26.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

14. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 14:18 Shataan

It figures somehow another excuse for a delay was gonna happen.

"has word that a new Aliens vs. Predator game is in the works at Rebellion, developers of the highly regarded 1999 first-person shooter."

I fail to see why this would be the cause tho. And I am pretty happy Rebellions getting another kick at the can and doing the next AVP. They are afterall, the original Devs for the stellar (at the time) Jaguar console AVP, and the 1st PC AVP.

13. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 14:15 Pigeon

The only thing I didn't like out of the AvP II was playing as the predator. I thought the marine part was fun, specially when you were running from a huge mass of aliens.  

12. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 13:55 Ecthelion

I guess I was the only one who liked AvP2. I played the original also, but I don't really remember any parts of the game, unlike AvP2.

Regardless, what worries me is Rebellion's sketchy track record since AvP (say what you will about AvP2 - at least Monolith has produced a decent number of great games). Furthermore, it wouldn't surprise me if very few people were left from those days. As is getting increasingly common, I'm taking a wait and see approach with this one.

11. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 13:42 nin

So, assuming this is true, I'm not exactly jumping with joy at this new announcement since I really liked the look of the original CM before it had most of the game removed and I could have got to play that this year.

I'll take Rebellion, and when they did with the original game, over Monolith or Gearbox any day of the year...

10. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 13:40 Dr. D. Schreber

As for the AvP game, as long as they don't base the game off of the lame ass movies they've made so far it might turn out okay. I wouldn't mind if they used the original Darkhorse comic for its story though.

Word. I actually don't care all that much for the original miniseries in retrospect, but as a first attempt at making the crossover it was spectacular. I'd like to see a plot where the Predator and the human player-characters interact more with each other like in the miniseries, though. The movie didn't do that concept any justice.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

9. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 13:37 Matchstick

The rumours I'm seeing are that this new AvP game is the reason that Aliens Colonial Marines got gutted of it's single player content (and Gearbox had to lay off staff).

So, assuming this is true, I'm not exactly jumping with joy at this new announcement since I really liked the look of the original CM before it had most of the game removed and I could have got to play that this year.

Thanks Sega.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >