DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus

THQ announces European pre-purchases and preloads of the digitally distributed edition of Dawn of War II can be done through this page, which outlines preorder bonuses beyond those we've seen already, including an extra multiplayer map. Word is the game will be activated at the stroke of midnight on February 20. They also announce Relic's RTS sequel will use Steamworks for game authentication, following up on this story and this one indicating they were hoping to avoid objectionable DRM. The announcement quotes lead designer Jonny Ebbert saying: "We love Steamworks because it offers so many advantages for the player," and: "Gamers who purchase the game and register with Steam can install the game on as many PCs as they want, can play online or offline and no CD is required to play. Best of all, if the player ever loses the CD, the game can be downloaded for free from Steam."
View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus
Feb 8, 2009, 23:46
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 8, 2009, 23:46
Feb 8, 2009, 23:46

@ Creston

"12,000 / 50 dollars = 240 games. Over 4 years = 6 games a year = 5 games a month. Who the hell buys 5 games a month?"

With a family of 5 and 3 computers that was being conservative.

"You act as if poor customer response is unique to Steam. It isn't. It's systemic in the entire gaming industry, with the exception of Stardock."

Doesn't make it right, nor does it hold a candle to Itunes support which is the iconic comparison to what Steam aspires to be.

"I think 6 million accounts or so on Steam would probably indicate that Valve is getting the job done pretty well?"

Where did 6 million come from? Can you prove it? Puffery? Even if it's claimed 15 million? At best that claim means means that some of the people who bought HL2 had to make an account. It means some of the people that bought Counter Strike made one. It means a number of other games opened up a Steam account. It also means that a good number of people atleast tried it. That number says nothing else. In fact, presenting it that way only leaves one to think, "Yeah, but how many of them are actually buying anything?".

This exchage between us thus far has pretty much been:

Steam is great! I will buy (Developer happy but...)

Steam is preventing me from buying a game, no sale. (Developer has a garaunteed loss from potential sales).

It's not hard to determine who I need to cater to as a developer in order to get money, or decide to write off, which is ok too. But hey, maybe they will convince a pirate to buy 4k a year in PC games to make up for my expenditures.

Technically, selling major titles on Steam only or requiring Steam to activate, has already failed. It's not a guess, it's fact. I am not buying a title because of this (and I buy atleast 12k a year across all platforms for gaming and often multiple copies), but would have. Therefore it's a matter of fact. If I think this way, and more importantly, act that way too, others like me are probably doing the same. How many? Who knows. But it does impact the bottom line of anyone entertaining this idea that we are all going to go to Steam as a requirement instead of a choice.

Not knocking folks who don't mind taking risks with their entertainment investements. Just don't expect those of us who actually have lived through the atrocious past and present of the video game industry to grant Steam or any other game company clout and faith. We will be vocal about being forced to. If it makes you feel better to defend a system that is great on concept, but aweful on user value and security, then continue to do so. Who am I to stand between a man and his passion. Whatever

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2009, 00:48.
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

Feb 7, 2009, 12:00
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 7, 2009, 12:00
Feb 7, 2009, 12:00

They announced 15 million accounts a year ago...pretty sure its gone up by now.

Feb 7, 2009, 01:34
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 7, 2009, 01:34
Feb 7, 2009, 01:34

when you are trying to convince people to spend $12,000+ in purchases over 3-4 years,

?

12,000 / 50 dollars = 240 games. Over 4 years = 60 games a year = 5 games a month. Who the hell buys 5 games a month?

But I tell you, with evidence of their poor track record on customer resoponse. They apparently fail to understand that confidence in a company, is a huge issue, especially when you are trying convince people to purchase the right to access a somewhat intangible product.

You act as if poor customer response is unique to Steam. It isn't. It's systemic in the entire gaming industry, with the exception of Stardock.

is not going to get the job done.

I think 6 million accounts or so on Steam would probably indicate that Valve is getting the job done pretty well?

I think you also meant; "I think MANY people rent their games from Steam".

Riley, is that you?

Creston

Feb 6, 2009, 23:56
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 6, 2009, 23:56
Feb 6, 2009, 23:56

.... spend $12,000+ in purchases over 3-4 years .....

WTF? could you, even if you wanted to, have a steam accout with this much content?

I look forward to you interesting data.

Feb 6, 2009, 22:21
GT
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 6, 2009, 22:21
Feb 6, 2009, 22:21
GT

Were else can you download your games over and over after wiping a drive or building a new system.
The Pirate Bay et al

Seriously the enormous size of today's games simply doesn't make redownloading game libraries feasilble at least with the typical paltry Internet speeds and usage caps in the U.S. It is much cheaper and easier to simply keep the game files or images on external or other hard drives and restore or use them from there.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 22:37.

Feb 6, 2009, 22:15
GT
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 6, 2009, 22:15
Feb 6, 2009, 22:15
GT

If you buy the retail copy it still needs to be activated on Steam (just like Valves recent games), one time. After that, it's done.
It's only one time if you never reinstall Windows, or make changes to your PC hardware or replace your PC so that your GUID changes, or login using a different Steam account on that PC, or accidently uncheck the "remember my password" box on the Steam login dialog box. So, that's hardly going to be a one-time event for most people.

If you can't handle even this form of DRM, you should just quit playing games now.
A better choice would be some good old-fashioned civil disobedience. Nothing ever really changes without a good revolution now and then. Since Steam has been cracked, don't buy the game. Pirate it and pass it out to as many people as you can. Over time hopefully these stupid publishers will get the message and get rid of this DRM crap, or at least they'll go out of business and be replaced by better companies that will finally listen to consumers. So long as there is demand for PC games, there will be someone there to fill that demand. There's no reason to settle for Steam or other DRM crap for there to be games to play. The music industry didn't start offering unprotected downloads until it finally saw the futility of DRM. So, pirate away and hopefully the game industry will learn the same lesson or be replaced by companies who will.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 22:33.

Feb 6, 2009, 21:59
GT
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 6, 2009, 21:59
Feb 6, 2009, 21:59
GT

I personally really like Steam. It's an extremely easy way to contact buddies and get started playing with them.
I also like how all my games are just a click away, and people can message me during play, whether they are in my game or not.
That may seem obtrusive to some, but I like being easily in touch with all my gamer pals
Everything you just wrote can also be said of Xfire, Gamespy Arcade and Comrade, and probably dozens of other game network and communication applications. The Steam client should not required to run games which were acquired through Steam. You shouldn't have to putup with Steam's DRM to make use of its actually useful features. There is no technical reason for it. The Steam client is only required so that Valve and the third party publishers can control whether or not you can play the game.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 22:36.

Feb 6, 2009, 20:28
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 6, 2009, 20:28
Feb 6, 2009, 20:28

Add up the entire world PC market and you will arrive at just how small Steam really is.

Now does that mean Steam can't eventually reach that level? Of course not. But I tell you, with evidence of their poor track record on customer resoponse. They apparently fail to understand that confidence in a company, is a huge issue, especially when you are trying convince people to purchase the right to access a somewhat intangible product.

Consumer confidence, when you are trying to convince people to spend $12,000+ in purchases over 3-4 years, while trusting in 1 fairly unresponsive and seemingly stonewalling company, is not going to get the job done.

I have some very interesting data I will post ont he next big steam headline.

I think you also meant; "I think MANY people rent their games from Steam".
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

Feb 6, 2009, 13:50
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 6, 2009, 13:50
Feb 6, 2009, 13:50

So try it, some of us will be here to help you pick up the pieces when it fails, and you start selling games the way many want to buy them.

You might want to change that "many" into "a rare few," as MANY people buy their games from Steam.

I understand your reluctance to use Steam, but you're not a majority.

Creston

Feb 6, 2009, 05:24
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 6, 2009, 05:24
Feb 6, 2009, 05:24

Sorry Relic, no sale x2. I have 2 preordered at EB but am cancelling them (have to do so in person). I am also cancelling Total War.

Steam is for people that are not bothered by the risk of losing their entire software investment for whatever reason, or having their play habits monitered. I like the service, but it should be a bonus to sending a hard copy to the buyer at a later date drm free. You know like Bluray discs that have the movie, and digital format for about the price of a budget video game.

Downloading is still a novelty, that will wear off and stabalize to been there, done that at some point. So will any hopes of recieving anything other than disappointing sales through Steam required methods.

It's like the industries (including music) keep playing this giant game of chicken thinking consumers will blink... Many of us just don't care anymore, you wore out our passion along with any respect. So try it, some of us will be here to help you pick up the pieces when it fails, and you start selling games the way many want to buy them.

It's highly probable this game will still get pirated just as much, but there are many people not buying it who would have because of the distribution method. So in essence, this is a plan to reduce sales from day one release.

Feb 5, 2009, 22:45
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 5, 2009, 22:45
Feb 5, 2009, 22:45

So just like in the beta you have steam and games for windows live. It's silly when a friend messages me through steam and then later messages me through Live. Live is so much more clunky to use with more clicking involved. So you got the Live overlay and the steam overlay.

By the way the voice quality in the beta is horrible. I don't know if that's because it's Live or because it's dawn of war 2 beta. I think it's Live because you can control voice input and volume through live. Why is the codec being used of such low bitrate? I find it almost impossible to understand anyone and the fact that there is no push to talk, it's all voice activated sucks even more. That's probably why nobody talks in game.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2009, 22:55.

Feb 5, 2009, 22:28
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 5, 2009, 22:28
Feb 5, 2009, 22:28

I had some fun with the demo but wasn't planning on buying it just yet. Too much else going on. After hearing this I may just get it now after all.

I'm one of those who loves Steam too. Were else can you download your games over and over after wiping a drive or building a new system.

I bought a game from a damned Polish on-line distributor and after a rebuild they not only won't let me download it again but stopped responding to my e-mails. Live and learn people.

Feb 5, 2009, 22:06
PHJF

Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 5, 2009, 22:06
Feb 5, 2009, 22:06
 PHJF

So this has GFWL *and* Steam embedded into it? WTF?
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Feb 5, 2009, 21:53
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 5, 2009, 21:53
Feb 5, 2009, 21:53

Does anyone know if this will be available for pre-load off Steam? I want to play it as soon as possible after it becomes available, but if I have to DL 15 Gigs that will take like 5 days...

Creston

Since the game is unlocking at midnight of release day than yes there is a 99% chance of it getting a preload.

Caveman

Feb 5, 2009, 21:47
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 5, 2009, 21:47
Feb 5, 2009, 21:47

Does anyone know if this will be available for pre-load off Steam? I want to play it as soon as possible after it becomes available, but if I have to DL 15 Gigs that will take like 5 days...

Creston

Feb 5, 2009, 20:58
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 5, 2009, 20:58
Feb 5, 2009, 20:58

Because YOU say so? Who raised ewe, sheep?

Get over yourself. Yuck.

I'm sorry you are incapable of seeing the painfully obvious when it's right in front of your face. If you think the future is retail packaged games and/or digital distribution with absolutely no DRM, then you are simply a fool.

Feb 5, 2009, 20:40
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 5, 2009, 20:40
Feb 5, 2009, 20:40

"Welcome to the future. If you can't handle even this form of DRM, you should just quit playing games now. This is going to be the norm...and is far better than some of the other internet connection required, limited install and other DRM schemes."

Because YOU say so? Who raised ewe, sheep?

"can't handle" "just quit"

Get over yourself. Yuck.

Feb 5, 2009, 20:35
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 5, 2009, 20:35
Feb 5, 2009, 20:35

I would not buy the game via a digital download (I know, I'm old and crusty and want physical media) so why do I require an active internet connection to play the single player portion of the game?

Obviously you can't read. It clearly states the game can be played in Offline mode, which means it does NOT require an active internet connection to play.

If you buy the retail copy it still needs to be activated on Steam (just like Valves recent games), one time. After that, it's done. Play in Offline mode if all you care about is single-player. Which is a step up from Company of Heroes which does require you to log on to Relic Online with a live internet connection.

Welcome to the future. If you can't handle even this form of DRM, you should just quit playing games now. This is going to be the norm...and is far better than some of the other internet connection required, limited install and other DRM schemes.

Feb 5, 2009, 20:09
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 5, 2009, 20:09
Feb 5, 2009, 20:09

I personally really like Steam. It's an extremely easy way to contact buddies and get started playing with them.
I also like how all my games are just a click away, and people can message me during play, whether they are in my game or not.
That may seem obtrusive to some, but I like being easily in touch with all my gamer pals

Feb 5, 2009, 19:44
Re: DoW2: Steam & Preorder Bonus Feb 5, 2009, 19:44
Feb 5, 2009, 19:44

Advocate...read...

I did read and I still find it asinine. I would not buy the game via a digital download (I know, I'm old and crusty and want physical media) so why do I require an active internet connection to play the single player portion of the game?

Oh, right, that third party application Relic requires to be installed because they'd rather assume I was a thief instead of a loyal customer who's been with them since the first round of the Homeworld 1 beta.

Saying that because the nature of the DRM is "only" Steam doesn't make it better. To me, it's as onerous and unwelcome as Starforce.

To me, it's akin to Ford saying "So that GT500KR Cobra you just bought? Ok, well, you can drive it but only after the car phones home every time you want to turn it over. Then it'll start and drive, but only on the roads we've approved."

If this is the trend that PC gaming is heading, then I'll be happy to limit myself to developers and publishers that DON'T treat their customers as criminals. I'll be happy to continue supporting Stardock and games like Evochron legends. I know that I am not alone and I know that this will change when enough of us stop buying from merchants who think this is an acceptable practice.

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older