Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA

Red Eagle Games announces they've signed a distribution deal with Electronic Arts for the Wheel of Time games that are planned to go along with the upcoming movie series based on the WoT fantasy novels. Specific release details aren't included in the announcement, but word is this will cover Windows, consoles, mobiles, and the Wheel of Time MMOG: "Red Eagle Games will develop and publish a line of stand-alone games on all major videogame platforms, including consoles, personal computers, handheld systems and wireless devices. The games will be distributed by EA. In addition, Red Eagle will launch and operate a massively multiplayer online role-playing game that encompasses the themes, characters and world of The Wheel of Time, which will be distributed at retail by EA."
View : : :
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA
Jan 15, 2009, 18:22
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 18:22
Jan 15, 2009, 18:22

One thing I think would make an excellent movie would be Moorcocks Elric, the ultimate dark hero

Ugh I hate those.

"I MUST SLAY MORE PEOPLE AND DEVOUR SOULS!" shouted Elric, completely overtaken by the sword. Then he turned around and urinated against a wall. After whipping his dick back into his pants, Elric ran at the mercenaries, cleaving them all in two with his invincible dark sword.

Elric briefly repented having become such a dark person. Then he urinated against a mercenary's corpse.

Elric left the cave. On his way back to his horse, he urinated against a bush.

Okay we get it. PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE A FUCKING PISS EVERY NOW AND THEN. THIS IS PRETTY MUCH IMPLIED. I DON'T NEED TO SEE JACK BAUER TAKING A TEN MINUTE SHITBREAK IN 24 EITHER.

Fuck I hated those books.

Creston

Jan 15, 2009, 18:18
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 18:18
Jan 15, 2009, 18:18

For those with the OMG NOW NOW NAO...stay the hell away from Roman/Greek classics and shakespeare.

I have to admit that I don't really have the patience for Shakespeare anymore either. I read all of them in my teens, but now... Maybe it's just that I don't have the time for it anymore.

I'll still pick up LotR every now and then and read it again, though nowhere near as often as I did when I was a kid. I still love 'em though. I really need to re-read the Silmarillion, but that's gotten tougher and tougher over the years.

Creston

Jan 15, 2009, 17:39
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 17:39
Jan 15, 2009, 17:39

If you havent read them yet I highly recommend Modesitt recluse series, very good books IMO.

Gonna have to jump in here and say hell no... heh...

First off, it's not really a series... or at least the 10 or so books I read were pretty... disjoined... And holy hell on the rehash...

Ok... we get it... You imbue Order into something... And blow some shit up... rinse... repeat...

/rant

And yes, it's ironic that I recommend against it, yet bought 10 or so books hehe... I bought most of Janny Wurts series too, and didn't like it : )

-Alamar

Jan 15, 2009, 17:27
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 17:27
Jan 15, 2009, 17:27

Another half assed attempt at making a game from ea, how can the gaming world not be set on fire at this historic news.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Jan 15, 2009, 17:06
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 17:06
Jan 15, 2009, 17:06

Hmm they are making a mini er mega series of WOT, 50 episodes should cover the first book I really liked the first few books, but as mentioned Jordan just kept adding too many plots and characters.

If you havent read them yet I highly recommend Modesitt recluse series, very good books IMO. One thing I think would make an excellent movie would be Moorcocks Elric, the ultimate dark hero. I'd like The swords trilogy made into movies too.

Heard they are making Phillip K Dicks Ubik into a movie, hope they do it justice. Dad got me a bunch of PKD books for xmas, just finished Ubik starting Man in the HIgh Castle now.

Jan 15, 2009, 17:04
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 17:04
Jan 15, 2009, 17:04

And while im at it, i wish i could get jordan in a small room for sitting on his ass for years when he knew he didnt have long and now the final book and great last battle will be half written by some kid in Utah.

Some kid who's already had bestsellers of his own in the fantasy genre, and who was a fan of the series and wants to see it done right. Also, Jordan didn't know he didn't have long until he was already too sick to do anything about it.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jan 15, 2009, 17:01
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 17:01
Jan 15, 2009, 17:01

Although, he did name the company after the Red Eagle of Manatheren, so I give them credit for actually knowing the source material they plan to ignore.

Gee, pick something symbolic from the books, I guess there's no one possibly better suited to translate the books into games in that case. Maybe, I'll start a company named Stonedog games and go after a piece of that pie myself. I mean the company name should just say it all that I know and care about making great WoT games!

Reading comprehension FTW!
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jan 15, 2009, 16:49
Cutter

Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 16:49
Jan 15, 2009, 16:49
 Cutter

Although, he did name the company after the Red Eagle of Manatheren, so I give them credit for actually knowing the source material they plan to ignore.

Gee, pick something symbolic from the books, I guess there's no one possibly better suited to translate the books into games in that case. Maybe, I'll start a company named Stonedog games and go after a piece of that pie myself. I mean the company name should just say it all that I know and care about making great WoT games!
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Jan 15, 2009, 16:13
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 16:13
Jan 15, 2009, 16:13

EA and some start up dev(red eagle?..who the fuck?)are untertaking one of the largest and deepest fantasy series ever? Who in fucks name is running the show over there at EA..i see epic fail.

And while im at it, i wish i could get jordan in a small room for sitting on his ass for years when he knew he didnt have long and now the final book and great last battle will be half written by some kid in Utah.

/slap

Jan 15, 2009, 16:04
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 16:04
Jan 15, 2009, 16:04

Completely agree. Although Feist as well did have a short dry spell where he turned out 3 or 4 books that were mostly not worth reading.

Actually, most of his recent books have not been worth reading - barring the ones he's written with other authors. He's certainly written some amazing books, and he's one of my favourite authors, but the solo stuff he's been putting out lately has been pretty poor.

Jan 15, 2009, 15:22
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 15:22
Jan 15, 2009, 15:22

I find Tolkien's style to be fantastic, but the book is simply a product of a different age.
What when you mean books were books, novels were novels, and stories were what you read your kids at bedtime? Say it ain't so! These days the books, novels and stories in 95% of all cases are pure tripe, I guess it really is the day and age when people want things that are wanting things watered down to the meanest, weakest points of literary works.

People can't figure out that taking a few hours to read a chapter or two of a book is supposed to be enjoyable. For those with the OMG NOW NOW NAO...stay the hell away from Roman/Greek classics and shakespeare.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Jan 15, 2009, 14:54
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 14:54
Jan 15, 2009, 14:54

WTF are Red Eagle games? According to Gamasutra....

Red Eagle Games, wholly devoted to developing Wheel of Time games, was launched in November 2008 by production company Red Eagle Entertaiment, headed by former IBM exec Rick Selvage.
Game company founded last fall by a suit - with zero track record and zero pedigree - get's to develop games based on WoT. Nothing could possiblye - er possibly - go wrong. Hmm, that's never happened before.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jan 15, 2009, 14:44
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 14:44

Raymond E Feist has done a far better job of expanding his world and continuing to tell stories while tying up most plotlines every three books or so.
Completely agree. Although Feist as well did have a short dry spell where he turned out 3 or 4 books that were mostly not worth reading.
...but I have little faith in EA, and even less in a brand new studio with no pedigree.
I in turn share your pessimism. (Or is it really pessimism if it's well-founded?)
Huh? So it's Tolkien's fault that today's world wants fast paced, little description spoonfed fantasy? You realize it was written between 60 and 70 years ago, right?

I find Tolkien's style to be fantastic, but the book is simply a product of a different age.
Apparently we have very similar literary tastes. I've thoroughly enjoyed every Tolkien book I've read and reread, and more or less didn't like the movies or the MMO at all, because they didn't accurately represent the books.

Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 14:44

Creston

Ah, to return to the good old days. Back when men were men, women were women, and they both had these nifty things called attention spans.
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

Jan 15, 2009, 14:23
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 14:23
Jan 15, 2009, 14:23

Tolkien writing style is excruciating.

I'd agree with that. I've tried to finish LOTR like 3 times now and always get bored and put it down...a shame, since I loved the movies.

I never buy abridged books, as I feel like an artist is entitled to present the vision they want to present (good or bad), but I always thought Tolkien's stuff could have been edited more...

Huh? So it's Tolkien's fault that today's world wants fast paced, little description spoonfed fantasy? You realize it was written between 60 and 70 years ago, right?

Creston

Ugh
Jan 15, 2009, 14:20
Ugh Jan 15, 2009, 14:20
Jan 15, 2009, 14:20

This series started off very well, but Robert Jordan either needs an editor or needs to get terminally ill so he can finish the shit already.

Edit : I didn't realize he'd already passed away. Which is kind of ironic, since everyone I knew that had read the series had said that they were worried he'd die before writing the last book, thus leaving all the shit unfinished.

Raymond E Feist has done a far better job of expanding his world and continuing to tell stories while tying up most plotlines every three books or so.

The one game that was made about Wheel of Time awhile ago was pretty decent, but I have little faith in EA, and even less in a brand new studio with no pedigree.

A Wheel of Time MMORPG! Yes please! It can be just as pointless and never-going-anywhere as the books!

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2009, 14:26.

Jan 15, 2009, 14:19
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 14:19
Jan 15, 2009, 14:19

I enjoy Jordan's work, although I personally favor George R. R. Martin, as he is not afraid to kill off any of his characters, so it's not quite as predictable.
Likewise. But I'd also have to say, Martin's writing style is just better across the board. Jordan's stories are great, but his writing style left a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately, Jordan's system of magic is not one that translates well into video game format. They had one game years ago that was interesting to play, but failed completely to work itself into the lore.
Agree there as well. His magic system is great for books, but I think it's too complex to work well in an MMO. Recent video game history has shown us that the only way to get plenty of people to play your game is to make it easy enough that virtually anyone can play it, and you just can't do that with Jordan's magic system and remain true to the books.

Jan 15, 2009, 14:14
Cutter

Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 14:14
Jan 15, 2009, 14:14
 Cutter

WTF are Red Eagle games? According to Gamasutra....

Red Eagle Games, wholly devoted to developing Wheel of Time games, was launched in November 2008 by production company Red Eagle Entertaiment, headed by former IBM exec Rick Selvage.

Game company founded last fall by a suit - with zero track record and zero pedigree - get's to develop games based on WoT. Nothing could possiblye - er possibly - go wrong. Hmm, that's never happened before.

And EA keeps scratching it's head on why it keeps fucking up. On the up side, they'll be extinct before long at this rate.

And yeah, I agree, I gave up on WoT by about book #3. Jordan should have been a dairy farmer because I've never witnessed anyone better at milking things that shouldn't be milked.

Still waiting on Martin's Dance of Dragons. And yes, The Fire and Ice works would make for a hella better game. I'd love to see a superhero MOG based on the Wild Cards series too for that matter. I love the Aces and Jokers concept for heroes/villains.
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Jan 15, 2009, 13:42
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 13:42
Jan 15, 2009, 13:42

Malazan ftw....
Yes, yes, YESS! But i prefer the books as books and not as movies or crappy licenced games. Unless Peter Jackson wants to make another "we'll show you the biggest land battles ever shown on film" film

Jan 15, 2009, 13:21
Re: Wheel of Time Rolls Through EA Jan 15, 2009, 13:21
Jan 15, 2009, 13:21

Malazan ftw....

Amen to that brother. Gods, could you imagine an M-rated MMO based on Erickson's books? That would be amazing! Reading House of Chains atm, great read.
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older