Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Weekend Sales

A weekend deal on Steam offers the X-COM- Complete Pack for $4.99, which is almost $20.00 off this collection of classic sci-fi strategy games. There's also a weekend promo on GOG.com, where the good old gamers have a $9.98 bundle of Sacrifice and Giants: Citizen Kabuto, and those who have already purchased either title from their DRM-free marketplace can get a $1.00 discount on the other.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 14, 2009, 16:49 Prez

Yep, that's the same UFO:AI it uses the Quake 2 engine and looks very promising. From http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/?page=About :

The game engine is based on a heavily modified version of ID's Quake2 Engine. This doesn't mean that 'UFO: Alien Invasion' is a modification or even a total conversion of Quake 2. It is a stand-alone game and doesn't require Quake 2 or any other program to run. All you need to play UFO:AI is a computer running Microsoft Windows or a supported version of Linux, and the installer from our website.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2009, 16:49.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 14, 2009, 16:02 Z9000

What's funny to me is the whole reason I bought this game in the first place way back when it came out. I shopped at Babbages and saw UFO. They had the European version, the North American version didn't get released until some time after.

I remembered that show UFO from what, 70s? I remembered how weird and trippy that show was. Funny how the game is about earth being probed by alien saucers and interceptors are launched etc.. etc.. I recently ordered UFO the complete series for a trip through the show again. I think I even owned a toy interceptor once. All shiny green and orange with that large torpedo thing sticking out the front. The concept of the future then was still similar to what we conceptualize the future now, well minus the artsy architecture.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

67. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 14, 2009, 00:52 Creston

I've never seen GOG.com before, anyone here familiar with the service, is it worthwhile? Site looks pretty cool.

GOG is fantastic. It is WELL worth your money so please support them. Low prices, no DRM, and everything works fine for me so far (I've bought five games from them.)

Absolutely the best PC Gaming initiative we've seen in a long time, and they're right up there with Stardock for best guys in the PC gaming scene.

Creston

66. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 20:08 Dev

I'm not sure.
Here's the webpage:
http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/

65. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 17:42 Prez

I forgot all about Alien Invasion. That's the one that uses the open source quake 2 engine, right?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

64. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 17:17 Beamer

Afterlight, Aftershock and Aftermath were all terrible.

They were real time with idiotic AI that would keep walking into fire rather than stopping when shot and returning fire.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

63. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 15:51 Dev

Beamer:
Afterlight, aftershock, aftermath were made by same company (Altar Interactive I think). Most recent game was in 2007.
ET was by differant dev (Chaos concept I belive). USA retail was in 2007.
And none of them were all that bad, especially ET when you use bman's mods. ET was probably worst of the bunch in the original retail version.

Also there's now UFO: Alien Invasion which is an open source project thats still in quite active developement over past couple years. There was work done as recently as this month on it. Its redone with new graphics new weapons, new etc.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 15:54.

62. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 12:22 Prez

That sequel may be made by Sid Meier...

Please don't mention 'Sid Meier' and 'X-COM sequel' in the same sentence again. My head almost exploded from the awesomeness.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 12:23.

- Mahatma Gandhi

61. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 12:04 Jerykk

Hey, if 2K makes a great new X-COM game, I'll gladly give them my money. But there's no reason to give them money for any of the other X-COM games.  

60. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 10:33 Beamer

The market is somewhat saturated with x-com clones in last few years. Like the UFO: ET, and Afterlight, aftershock, etc etc.

I wouldn't call that saturated. ET, Afterlight and Aftershock are all the same series of games. That's one dev. One terrible dev making terrible games that aren't even remotely fun. Actually, ET isn't. I'd never heard of ET. No clue what it is.

But the property is still active. Sid Meier's team has nods to it in Civ 4 expansions. And 2K bought it fairly purposefully; not just to sell on Steam. They bought them back in 2007, I believe after Sid Meier bought everything Microprose but X-COM in 2002...

-------------

59. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 10:13 nin

Naw, they probably are NOT making a sequel.

Levine has been rumored to be working on one since Bioshock shipped. The Bio team moved west, and Ken stayed put to work on a "mystery" project...

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

58. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 07:33 Prez

UFO E:T is an excellent X-COM remake as long as you use the b-man mod, as Dev said. Hell, you can even put the old aliens back in the game!

It is as close to a genuine X-COM sequel as you can get right now, and it gets pretty darn close.

- Mahatma Gandhi

57. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 07:18 Dev

Naw, they probably are NOT making a sequel.
The market is somewhat saturated with x-com clones in last few years. Like the UFO: ET, and Afterlight, aftershock, etc etc.
Not that a new good one couldn't make sales. Just not nearly as much as a shooter.

Besides If they were making one, they'd probably say something about it.

56. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 06:52 Beamer

Why should 2K Games see a penny from this?

Because they are likely making a sequel (and if not earning some pennies will likely encourage them to.)
That sequel may be made by Sid Meier, which would guarantee it is amazing, but is likely being made by Ken Levine, which I'm unsure about (he makes good games, but Freedom Force, his closest thing to a strategy game, totally blew in my opinion [cough].)

-------------

55. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 06:08 Dev

Z9000:
Have you tried bman's mod for UFO:ET?
you are right, the retail game WAS a shoddy remake. Buggy and unpolished. Its saving grace is that they made almost all the game resources in text and xml files.
So people fixed it up (kinda like theres the OOO mod for oblivion that fixed up beth's crap).
Its STILL being worked on even today.

If you (or anyone else) are interested I can throw some links up and some sample changes that have been done. Heres one, for some reason the retail game your soldiers can never die if you make it out. Bman fixed it so it IS possible for them to die Another thing, they didn't have keyboard shortcuts, he added them. Oh, one more, in retail game, any ammo clip using even 1 shot, gets throw out after a battle, you keep them using his mod. Other versions of his mod (future ones that other people worked on after he stopped working on it 6 months ago) add stuff like a working mini map, and much more.

54. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 04:21 Z9000

Some were wondering about remakes. I also would like a real, legit, graphical upgrade to X-com. Remaster the music as nice as Red Alert 3 did. Leave the tension music during missions somewhat the same.

There were some other companies that tried to cash in off this idea. UFO: Aftershock was close, it had real time combat with spacebar pause. UFO: Afterlight was a much better sequal. I played them both to completion and enjoyed Afterlight (especially when you would blast an alien into the atmosphere on occasion with a really powerful attack). Then UFO: Extraterrestrials pretty much cloned X-com. It was lower budget, really shoddy in some respects, but it pretty much exactly copied the game in a lot of ways. Not a bad game really, just not X-com.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

53. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 00:46 Jerykk

Thats why you tend to see those letters getting sent around to fan projects, its not because the company (like those halo things that bungie/MS lawyers were going after) personally wants to stop those things, its because they tend to be afraid that if they do NOT enforce things very strictly, that maybe random judges will decide they don't own the IP anymore. That HAS happened before.

I agree that genericide is a concern for copyright owners. However, I don't think it's a really big issue for entertainment like film or games. The names in such entertainment mediums refer to very specific examples rather than generic things you commonly use or encounter in daily life. It makes sense to say "Kleenex" instead of "tissue" because all tissues are basically the same and the specific brands are irrelevant to most people. Conversely, if I want to buy Fallout 4, I'm not going to say "Hey, I want to buy Wasteland."

My biggest issue is that people can profit from copyrights even if they had nothing to do with their creation. 2K had absolutely nothing to do with any of the X-COM games so there's no good (and no, legality in and of itself doesn't justify anything) reason why they should profit from them.

52. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 13, 2009, 00:07 Dev

Prez:
To determine the legality of the download you'd have to actually ask 2k games. Basically, to me, common sense would say that in this case its fine until/unless 2k says its not.
Jerykk:
They don't need to "find a way" all they do is have some lawyers send some emails/letters around to sites like that. Since 2k now owns everything of microprose I belive.
So far they haven't to my knowledge. Now there are 2 possabilities why. Either they've overlooked it (which I belive is likely) or they are being nice about it.

Thats why you tend to see those letters getting sent around to fan projects, its not because the company (like those halo things that bungie/MS lawyers were going after) personally wants to stop those things, its because they tend to be afraid that if they do NOT enforce things very strictly, that maybe random judges will decide they don't own the IP anymore. That HAS happened before.
Here's a page on some examples.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark

On the other hand, the companies could exert themselves a tiny bit more and give out permissions more often to do things like fan projects, and still keep IP.
Like lucasarts/lucas films. They realize that having a rabid fan base producce all sorts of fan vids and stuff actually helps them, and they allow it to happen. And some of the fan stuff is actually quite good (watch ryan vs dorkman lightsaber duals 1 and 2, they are BETTER than majority of the movie lightsaber fights, especially the newer crapier trilogy).

I blame the current crappy state of copyrights/patents/trademarks/IP on our crappy system and crappy laws that screw this whole thing up more than I tend to blame individual companies, except when there are egregious examples (like monster cables sueing a miniature golf course!?! or them sueing that blue something cable company just because they are using a standard cable design
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/blue-jeans-strikes-back
)

IANAL and this isn't legal advice, just some ramblings

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 00:12.

51. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 12, 2009, 22:57 Jerykk

Common sense, and the law, dictates that you have no right to distribute something belonging to someone else unless you have express permission to do so. You cannot simply say "but they didn't say not to". It absolutely does not work like that.

Key word: Work. Laws by themselves don't work. You need to find some way to get people to follow them. You can reward them, you can threaten them, whatever it takes. But laws alone accomplish nothing. It's not about rights or entitlement. It's about results. In this case, it's about getting people to buy X-COM. Let's look at the variables involved in this issue:

1) X-COM is a 15-year-old game.
2) The original developers are long gone and get no royalties from current sales of any of the X-COM titles.
3) The X-COM franchise has been milked with disappointing sequels and spinoffs and has since been left to rot.
4) Microprose, the original publisher who funded development and distribution of X-COM, is dead.
5) 2K now legally owns the franchise but had no part whatsoever in developing any of the games.

With all that in mind, why should 2K see a penny from a 15-year-old game they had nothing to do with? Because a piece of paper says they should? The law may say that they are entitled to these profits but logic and reasoning say otherwise.

You can claim that "that's not how it works" but unless 2K finds some way to stop all unauthorized distribution of X-COM, that is indeed how it works and how it will continue to work until people find a justifiable reason to pay for X-COM.

50. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 12, 2009, 22:27 Prez

And just because the game was once released for free (or still is) doesnt mean the game is "abandonware" or that the property can no longer make money from other venues.

True enough. Indeed, there really doesn't seem to be much to quarrel over here, unless one wants to argue the logic of buying something that could be gotten for free elsewhere.

- Mahatma Gandhi

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo