66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Morning Consolidation
Jan 11, 2009, 15:52
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 11, 2009, 15:52
Jan 11, 2009, 15:52

I like the PS3, but mine was a gift so I'm not bothered about the price. I prefer the PS3 controller to the 360's, but I'm sure I'd get used to the 360 if my girlfriend had bought me one of those instead.

But I do think the 360 has a better selection of games. I have a difficult time finding games I really want to play on my PS3.

But I agree with The Advocate - it seems rather stupid to get so excited about other people's opinions.

Jan 11, 2009, 09:43
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 11, 2009, 09:43
Jan 11, 2009, 09:43

Hey JM, none of the planned DLC for Fallout 3 is coming to PS3 per the article last week on Eurogamer. That's a _huge_ exclusion and one example of the PS3 not getting the same stuff as PC and 360 are getting.

Also, sales data is always questionable from all angles but its clear that the PS3 is in 3rd place. As you say, the 360 has one year of sales over the PS3, but it was obviously a critical year given the relatively short lifespan of consoles....

Jan 8, 2009, 11:07
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2009, 11:07
Jan 8, 2009, 11:07

This is true and is an unfortunate side-effect of retailers trying to sell Blu-rays at $25 - $35 per title. They are the one's effectively killing the format with their greed.

Retailers have always had higher prices on things like DVD's. Online outlets have always had lower prices. There doesn't seem to be anything going on at the retail side that is hurting HD sales.

The people who produce the movies on HD simply want a higher price point. If they only offer these movies to the retailers at $20+ the retailers won't stock them at all if they can only sell them at $20.

I don't know what they charge for HD units but judging by the price in the store I'd guess $18-$22 per. Anyone work in a store that orders these and would know what price they are coming in at? I'd be curious to know...

Jan 8, 2009, 09:54
JM
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2009, 09:54
Jan 8, 2009, 09:54
JM

its pretty damn clear Sony's console is at the bottom of the console heap

According to this article - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/01/microsoft-xbox.html - Microsoft has sold around 28 million 360s and Sony has sold around 20 million PS3s. Considering the 1 year head start Microsoft had and the fact that the PS3 costs more, I don't think an 8 million unit difference is all that significant. It certainly doesn't indicate to me that the PS3 is on life support and that developers are preparing to abandon it any time soon. The fact is any serious developer would see the potential money to be made in releasing games for the PS3. You don't need to be in first, or even second place in order to be viable.

the future of blu-ray is "fuzzy" because folks aren't buying the retail blu-ray movies in great numbers

This is true and is an unfortunate side-effect of retailers trying to sell Blu-rays at $25 - $35 per title. They are the one's effectively killing the format with their greed. What I don't think they realize is that, as an owner of a Blu-ray player, I've pretty much stopped buying ALL movies be they Blu-ray or DVD. I used to buy DVDs with great frequency but now I hold out for the hi-def versions but won't buy until I can find it at traditional DVD prices ($20 and under). And I, like many others, am not interested in digital downloads. I prefer physical media for my money spent.

I'm hoping that sometime soon, these geniuses that are setting the retail prices will get a clue and realize they need to bring Blu-ray prices down. In the meantime, as I stated previously, you can at least get good deals at various online outlets like Amazon.com.

Jan 8, 2009, 08:10
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2009, 08:10
Jan 8, 2009, 08:10

JM, dont expect all of those PS3 titles to actually publish to market in 2009, especially in the current retail climate. Sorry to be negative but its pretty damn clear Sony's console is at the bottom of the console heap and it is stuck there. I'm surpised because I played my ps 1 and 2 to death

Also, NY Times just posted an article that the future of blu-ray is "fuzzy" because folks arent buying the retail blu-ray movies in great numbers except for a select few action movie hits.

In this climate, Sony _should_ be thinking about the next console

Re: Sacred Cow?
Jan 6, 2009, 23:27
Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 23:27
Jan 6, 2009, 23:27

I like how in order to truly embrace/experience Hd you have to use blu-ray. Give me a break.

Tumbler, do you have a reading comprehension problem or are you just stupid? Forgive me for being blunt but after your little tantrum I had to respond.

What you start your argument with is exactly what I just said. I admit you don't have to have BluRay. You can be perfectly happy with any of the other formats. I still see customers watching TV on 13" sets using rabbit ears. No cable. So they are perfectly happy with what they have. Even though it's a snowy fuzzy picture. I assume they have other priorities for their disposable income. Does that mean they would be correct by telling you that you are an idiot because you bought a bigger TV... not to mention you subscribing to Cable or Satellite?

Next time try reading and absorbing the details before going off on a short tirade stating opinions on products you don't even own. That you probably saw at that Evil local retail outlet.

As far as some of the other dumb things you said I won't even bother to respond. Jesus man, don't get butt-hurt because somebody has something that you don't have. Or because they prefers it over what you have. You sound worse than a fanboi.

Of course your reasoning about spending money frivolously applies to everything. Just remember the most important part. It all depends on how much money you have and what value you attach to the item in question. I hope this has been somewhat educational for you. Maybe you can learn to be less close-minded in the future. But I doubt it...

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2009, 23:30.

Jan 6, 2009, 18:10
Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 18:10
Jan 6, 2009, 18:10

So we are psychotic for stating our opinions of disagreement with your opinions? You are an idiot and a hypocrite.

No, because you've told me that my opinion is wrong and that the PS3 is beneficial to me. It's not.

Look who is talking. You are completely incapable of having an objective discussion on the matter.

No, I can. Until people tell me that I am wrong and that the PS3 has uses for me. It doesn't. I never said it doesn't for other people, although outside of gaming I still say the other people have better options. Gaming is subjective.

More uninformed and ignorant bullshit.

How so? What has Sony done to the PS1 controller other than add two analog sticks? And, I might add, the sticks went not where they were comfortable but where they fit. Oh, you can say it now rumbles, is now wireless, and now has motion control, but none of that involves ergonomical changes.

You've been using present tense through the whole thread regarding "your 360", then you say you dont even have a 360 anymore, and then again you say "My 360 does it too" (present tense) and continued. You can't even make up your own fucking mind whether you have one or not.

Because, as mentioned in Good Will Hunting, it's easier to tell a story in first person. I do not have a 360 now, as I've said on this board many times. When I moved from my previous apartment I lost it, as it belonged to my roommate. In fact, I lost my Wii and PS2 as well, not that the PS2 had been used in years. My new roommate has a Wii, though, so it mostly all works.

So spending $250+ for something you only play with 3+ people is a smart investment over adding another $150 and getting soooo much more... yea you make a lot of sense.

95% of my gaming is done in groups of 3 and 4.
Sorry if you don't have friends?

I really don't care if someone chooses, a 360, PS3, a Wii, or a combination of all 3. What I do have a problem with is the idiotic, uninformed and ignorant comments and rationalizations that are made against any of the single platforms.

None of it is uninformed. You're just an idiot. You're not always, usually just one of the most opinionated, and often most derek smartesque, but usually not an idiot. Here you are because, like a 14 year old in Hot Topic, you think different opinions can only exist due to ignorance. This makes you an idiot.
The PS3 is completely worthless to me.
BluRay is mostly worthless to me.
PS3 games are mostly dull to me, as most PS1 and PS2 games were (with major exceptions like Katamari, Castlevania or SotC.)

What? Do you want to somehow argue that this opinion is wrong again? That I'm not allowed to find a consumer device pointless?

Jan 6, 2009, 17:08
JM
Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 17:08
Jan 6, 2009, 17:08
JM

Christ. I don't like the console you do. It's my opinion. Wrap it through your skulls: the PS3 is completely useless to me, not worth $400, and pretty much a piece of garbage.

Your opinion is garbage. Just my opinion.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2009, 17:23.

Jan 6, 2009, 15:43
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2009, 15:43
Jan 6, 2009, 15:43

Oooo! And apparently you can rip DVDs to it.

This isn't in the stock operating system...right? I'm assuming this is some linux loaded system that can run apps that someone other than Sony provided...no?

Is a nice feature either way but I don't know why this would be a reason to buy a ps3... I can already do this from my PC's... and I can burn from them to.

I think this is an example of the PS3 doing a lot of things...but not necessarily doing them well. I'm certain that someone could hack my 360 and figure out how to make it rip movies so I can play them upscaled on my tv...but my pc already does it...and I can just burn the dvd's and use them anywhere... No weird software loading on my console.

The PSP is a lot like this. It's got the potential to do a lot of things, but I don't think it does many of them well... You can rip movies and load them via a pc, you can load and watch video clips, you can stick a huge memory stick in there and have lots of space, I think you can even get an external HDD? Play games obviously, surf the web via wireless, etc. But it all kind of sucks. It's just too much work to enjoy the benefits. I can do all the tasks easier on something else, I may not be able to do all those things in one place like I could on the PSP, but that doesn't mean I want to use the PSP for everything...

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2009, 15:47.

Jan 6, 2009, 14:33
Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 14:33
Jan 6, 2009, 14:33

Fine. You people are psychotic

So we are psychotic for stating our opinions of disagreement with your opinions? You are an idiot and a hypocrite.

This is why people are murmuring "fanboy," even if you think it's wrong. And it may be. But when you throw your opinion on one console out yet fail to allow people their own on your favorite console, well, you smell like someone that doesn't see properly.

Look who is talking. You are completely incapable of having an objective discussion on the matter.

Oh, and given that they haven't updated their controller in what, 12 years

More uninformed and ignorant bullshit.

You've been using present tense through the whole thread regarding "your 360", then you say you dont even have a 360 anymore, and then again you say "My 360 does it too" (present tense) and continued. You can't even make up your own fucking mind whether you have one or not.

What, so even though joystiq picked it as Best of 2008 the fact that you don't have any real interest makes it dull?

So the fact that the PS3 has been getting high praise, with a good portion of their exclusives being recognized as top games of the year (more than 360 games, far more than Wii games)...see where I'm going here? You make a stupid argument with 1 single title from the 360, the one I said I had minor interest in anyways...

And I only play the Wii in groups of 3 or 4.

So spending $250+ for something you only play with 3+ people is a smart investment over adding another $150 and getting soooo much more... yea you make a lot of sense.

I really don't care if someone chooses, a 360, PS3, a Wii, or a combination of all 3. What I do have a problem with is the idiotic, uninformed and ignorant comments and rationalizations that are made against any of the single platforms.

Jan 6, 2009, 13:22
Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 13:22
Jan 6, 2009, 13:22

Looks like the pot calling the kettle black to me, Beamer.

No. I don't care what you think of the 360 or the Wii. Don't like'm? Fine.
Hell, I actually don't even have a 360 anymore. And I only play the Wii in groups of 3 or 4.

Jan 6, 2009, 13:21
Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 13:21
Jan 6, 2009, 13:21

You stated the PS3 does nothing well which is absolute bullshit.

Fine. You people are psychotic:
in my opinion the PS3 does NOTHING well.

You say it is not third in quality of games. I say it is. Wii is more fun in large groups. 360 is more fun solo. PS3 has about 3 games I'm mildly interested in, given Dagok's list.
Therefore, in my opinion, the PS3 is easily third for games.
Uncharted was ok. Ratchet and Clank is ok. Neither looks fantastic or worth buying. MGS4 is pretty much endless stupid dialogue. No interest. No fun.

The price of Blu-ray? Thanks to Amazon and the frequent buy-1-get-1-free type deals, my Blu-ray purchases are consistently below $20 per title which is exactly where DVD was in it's prime. If it wasn't too expensive for DVD, then it certainly isn't too expensive for Blu-ray.

Good for you. "Frequent" isn't the price, though. And Most of my DVDs were below $5.99. I see a big difference here, still.

Digital delivery? Well, PS3 does that too (in HD) but I, like many others, prefer and will be using physical media for a long time to come. So long as Blu-ray prices continue to drop, it will be around for quite some time.

Yes, but my cable box does it and the cable box is free (or, at worst, a sunk cost.) My 360 does it, too, but that's a bit moot. Why do I want a third device for it at $400?

Why don't you tell us all of the things that it does not do well? And keep in mind, your lack of interest in a particular feature or game does not count as "not doing something well".

How can I tell you what it doesn't do well if you're not telling me what it does. But fine, you're not drawing a line. It shakes the controller well. Oooo! And apparently you can rip DVDs to it. I have no interest in doing this, as it's completely idiotic to do, but hey, maybe it does it well.

The bottom line is in my opinion it does not warrant the price tag. In my opinion] there are better ways to watch movies, better games to play elsewhere, better ways to surf the web, and that's all the PS3 offers for $400. Oh, and given that they haven't updated their controller in what, 12 years, it doesn't even do ergonomics well. It's like if Nintendo released the N64 with the NES controller, only with a few added buttons.

Christ. I don't like the console you do. It's my opinion. Wrap it through your skulls: the PS3 is completely useless to me, not worth $400, and pretty much a piece of garbage.

Jan 6, 2009, 13:19
Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 13:19
Jan 6, 2009, 13:19

Looks like the pot calling the kettle black to me, Beamer.

Jan 6, 2009, 13:14
Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 13:14
Jan 6, 2009, 13:14

Minor interest in Fable 2, but seeing as I skipped the first, even on the PC...don't care.

What, so even though joystiq picked it as Best of 2008 the fact that you don't have any real interest makes it dull?

See, two can do this. It's called o-p-i-n-i-o-n. And, when it comes to the PS3, you vehemently defend yours and allow no one else one. When it comes to the 360 only yours matters.
This is why people are murmuring "fanboy," even if you think it's wrong. And it may be. But when you throw your opinion on one console out yet fail to allow people their own on your favorite console, well, you smell like someone that doesn't see properly.

Jan 6, 2009, 12:08
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2009, 12:08
Jan 6, 2009, 12:08

the wii won by a landslide worldwide

I just bought my 2nd Wii...

My ex GF wanted my first and I figured it wouldn't get any use so I sold it to her, and my current GF decided she wanted one, so poof, I've purchased 2 Wii's myself already.

I wasn't too excited about getting this one but after playing Super Mario Galaxy, a game I missed, I'm fucking sold on the Wii. That game is amazing. After the boss battle involving Bowser Junior I was blown away. If you can look past the kid friendly exterior to the game...it's brilliant.

It puts all the other crap games I'm playing into perspective, and it's amazing.

Metroid Prime got great reviews as well so that is another game I'm looking forward to going back and playing.

Jan 6, 2009, 09:09
JM
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2009, 09:09
Jan 6, 2009, 09:09
JM

Expect fewer games for the PS3 this year.

http://ps3.ign.com/index/release.html

I count over 200 releases scheduled for 2009. I don't think PS3 owners are worried.

Jan 6, 2009, 09:03
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2009, 09:03
Jan 6, 2009, 09:03

the wii won by a landslide worldwide (still shocks me but the facts are incontrovertible). BOTH MS and SONY are planning new consoles in 2 years. Both consoles will be streamlined to be "cheap" and will hope to blow the "old" Wii aside. You can count on it. The PS3 is on life-support though guys. Unit sales are making it less attractive for 3rd parties to develop for the PS3. Expect fewer games for the PS3 this year.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2009, 09:03.

Jan 6, 2009, 09:00
JM
Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 09:00
Jan 6, 2009, 09:00
JM

Does none of it well? You are sadly misinformed.

Not for my uses. It's third-ran for gaming. Blu-Ray is overpriced and going to fade in the face of digital delivery. What else are we saying it does?

We're not talking about what's good for your uses. You stated the PS3 does nothing well which is absolute bullshit.

"Third-ran" for gaming? In sales perhaps, but not in quality of games. PS3 has just about all of the same AAA titles as the 360 plus some AAA exclusives of it's own. Now, you may not enjoy games like Uncharted, MGS4, Ratchet and Clank, etc., but you would be hard pressed to convince the gaming community that these titles are "third-ran" in quality.

The price of Blu-ray? Thanks to Amazon and the frequent buy-1-get-1-free type deals, my Blu-ray purchases are consistently below $20 per title which is exactly where DVD was in it's prime. If it wasn't too expensive for DVD, then it certainly isn't too expensive for Blu-ray.

Digital delivery? Well, PS3 does that too (in HD) but I, like many others, prefer and will be using physical media for a long time to come. So long as Blu-ray prices continue to drop, it will be around for quite some time.

What else are we saying it does?

Why don't you tell us all of the things that it does not do well? And keep in mind, your lack of interest in a particular feature or game does not count as "not doing something well".

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2009, 09:03.

Jan 6, 2009, 02:06
Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 02:06
Jan 6, 2009, 02:06

A year ago. Is the next words out of your mouth "fanboy"? Call me what you like. I don't argue opinions.

To be fair, arguing that PS3 exclusives are better or more enjoyable is an opinion. Many may share it, but it's impossible to quantitatively measure how "fun" something will be for the entire planet.

For this generation, the software library won out for me. I love the Wii, but there's zero software for it that interests me. I've stopped even paying attention any more, and just play Boom Blox at parties with friends, before someone busts out Rock Band or something similar.

PS3 has a grand total of one game that interests me that I really *want* to play, and that's God of War 3. It's not a console-selling game though.

Considering that I haven't even purchased a 1020 HDTV, blueray is wasted on me. Even when watching a 1020 signal on a 1020 set, I'm less than enthusiastic. Maybe when the price drops to about 600 bucks for a 40 inch screen I'll look into it, but right now dishing 1000+ dollars on a TV isn't worth it to me. I don't game, I don't watch movies, and I don't watch enough TV to make it a worthwhile investment.

Streaming netflix, however, is the shiat. I already had an xbox gold subscription, and a netflix subscription, and now when I'm bored I can hit a few buttons and be watching a movie in seconds. That's far more valuable to me than spending 30 bucks on a movie, but to each their own.

Here's the crux. A lot of people like ease of use/access over quality. I mean, Sony learned this lesson back with Beta format, remember? The issue was not that beta was inferior (in fact it survived in professional settings well into the late 90's), but that the licensing and ease of access, and price was not appealing. Plus porn didn't fully embrace it. The porn industry basically writes what technology will succeed and what won't.

As it is, I see two major errors in Sony, compounded by hubris on the part of their board of directors leading up to PS3's launch.

1. The cell architecture is simply too different from existing architecture to make cross-platform migrations, regardless of direction, straightforward. Sony was hoping to use scaled versions of it's cell architecture in everything from toasters to watches once it gained "market share" and people learned to program with it. It turns out that people don't want to suckle at the sole teat of Sony for it's processors, much like with Apple in the 80's and 90's (who has since, wisely, adopted intel hardware architecture). This error was perpetrated not by the Sony video game division, but by the rest of the company expecting to leverage the Playstation name to push a critical mass of consoles, hence programming demand, to make it's cell chip ubiquitous.

2. Bluray's first and primary mission was DRM enforcement, after the debacle with DVD's CSS encryption. I remember reading discussions years ago that Bluray wouldn't even broadcast in full HD format without on board encryption "black boxes" everywhere from the blu-ray drive up through the monitor the signal was displayed on. The extra definition was little more than a selling point. I read that in November that bluray actually lost a small fraction of marketshare back to DVD. For most people, especially for most middle aged or older people, they simply can not see the difference between high def and a good standard def TV. Bluray, while useful for more disc storage space on the PS3, doesn't have the appeal that DVD did, and the timing was off as well. Once again, it was Sony corp pushing new technology on playstation, with the intent of artificially creating critical mass for their format. Timing would have been much better if bluray had been released say 2 years earlier, and prices had started coming down some, and the market share was already starting to infiltrate. DVD was a big selling point on the PS2, because it was timed perfectly right as DVD was entering the public awareness.

This boils down to one simple thing. The rest of Sony saw the videogame division as a prybar into homes, to wrench open and dump new, proprietary technology into, and to hedge bets. Without the pressure to support the rest of the corporation, I think the PS3 would have been designed differently, and probably been more successful in the public eye. The whole "you're gonna be our biatch" thing leading up to the PS3's launch, the use of advanced rendering stations that were supposedly pumping out in-game footage, and the other PR stunts made Sony not look like revolutionaries, but aged rock stars drunk on their own ego, wheeled out on stage, off tune, screaming at the audience that it couldn't possibly be *their* fault that they suck.

Remember, "technically better" doesn't equate to success. Look at Beta. If I had to guess about "earth shattering changes" at Sony, it will be cutting the video game division free, still being Sony, but not being the delivery system to crack out on the Sony products for every other venture the company has. It'll probably also deal with strategic lifepath of the PS3, and as has been mentioned elsewhere, a cleaning out of the old, entrenched blood who saw the PS3 as the tip of the sword of all things Sony, ready to invade homes.

Jan 6, 2009, 00:32
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2009, 00:32
Jan 6, 2009, 00:32

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the older formats. Just remember (like I told my wife) once you go HD/BluRay you can never go back.

I like how in order to truly embrace/experience Hd you have to use blu-ray. Give me a break. BD is the most expensive way to watch HD. If the most expensive=best to you, then you're a fucking idiot. I don't need to drive a escalade Hummer H2 to get the full SUV experience, and I don't need Sony's Goddamn Blu-Ray to watch movies, sports, and weekly TV shows in HD.

It's a sales pitch! It's called advertising, they feed you a load of bullshit about how artifacting is a big problem, and how your movies look the best, and you happily give them all your money to feel special.

Blu-Ray is Hd for stupid people. Oh you want HD? Oh that will cost $400 to start, then you need some crazy sound system, 7.1 at least!, and you will need a new TV, I recommend this Sony 99" STFU-99URADUMBASS for $50,000. You don't want to expereince anything less that perfection right? Yeah you need all this expensive crap, otherwise you'll just be seeing what those fools spending almost nothing see. Those poor bastards....

If I were a mechanic, I would stand outside Bestbuy or the Sony store and offer my services to anyone with something blu-ray related in their hands. You could sell them ANYTHING. Yeah your cam crank benderover is broken, that will be $800. Or you could not fix it and then you have all kinds of tire rotation problems. You don't want your tires rotating do you?
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older