Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

WoW Character Re-Customization

The World of Warcraft Website has word that paid character re-customization are now underway in Blizzard's MMORPG. You cannot respec your toon's attributes, but for a $15.00 fee you can change your character's appearance through any of the game's cosmetic options, including gender and name. There are further details in the FAQ and the Character Re-Customization page.
View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization May 21, 2009, 05:53 joe

well thats how the business goes.. you just have to respect it or forget it.
[color=#051730][u]simulation assurance vie[/u][/color]

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 14, 2008, 16:39 Wowbagger_TIP

It's actually very simple. The only reason they make you pay for it is so you don't do it unless it's really important for you. Because they don't want players recustomizing at the drop of a hat for no real reason.
Why should they care if I want to change the look of my character? It requires no effort or intervention on their part, and as you've said, they could add a cooldown timer that only lets me do it once a day or once a week or whatever. Seems that the only reason they do it is because they feel they can squeeze more money out of their users that way. To me it's just another excellent reason not to play their game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

32. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 13, 2008, 12:46 Endo

I don't see why any sort of appearance change should cost anything either. The interfaces to do it already exist. Why should they charge for something that's been implemented forever and is a basic part of character creation?
It's actually very simple. The only reason they make you pay for it is so you don't do it unless it's really important for you. Because they don't want players recustomizing at the drop of a hat for no real reason. Sure, they could just put a cooldown on it, but you'll still have the people who do it every time the cooldown is up. Personally, I'd rather pay a small fee and be able to do it whenever I want. And yes, I did do it on my druid just last night. Playing as a male night elf is one of the most annoying things you can do if you're Alliance, and making the mistake of choosing male for my druid has bugged me for a long time now. Finally I was able to correct it.

31. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 12, 2008, 15:07 Wowbagger_TIP

2) Name change should also be free. If you pay a service fee to play a game and have limited time, you should not have to start a new character on a new server every time you need something changed.

Again, people will exploit this by acting like jackasses and then changing their name to escape all blame. Then you'll also have people changing their names all the time just to mess with other people. In WoW, a characters' name is their only uniquely identifying piece of information. In order to have a stable community, there has to be some sort of assurance that the level 80 guy named "Bob" that you saw yesterday is the same as the "Bob" you're seeing today.

I don't think that's right. There's an account and a name. Separate things. As they've said already, if someone on your ignore list changes their name, they will still be on your ignore list. This isn't a hard thing to implement. It's just like Steam accounts. I have a Steam account name, and then I can change my name in games all I want, but anyone can still find out my account name, and all bans/ignores/etc are linked to the account.

I don't see why any sort of appearance change should cost anything either. The interfaces to do it already exist. Why should they charge for something that's been implemented forever and is a basic part of character creation?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

30. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 12, 2008, 08:50 Minneyar

1) The server system is their design and should be free to move your character if you are not having fun on a server. You get very little information when choosing and should not have to pay to move.

The problem with this is that if moving between servers is free, people will abuse it horribly. You have people who will act like totally jackasses and then move to another server to escape the blame and people who research the economies on different servers and move between them to exploit buying low and selling high. Servers with "celebrity" players on them will also become incredibly crowded as everybody moves their character over to play on the same server as that person, and then other servers will become barren. Making server transfers cost real money is the only way to stop this from happening.

2) Name change should also be free. If you pay a service fee to play a game and have limited time, you should not have to start a new character on a new server every time you need something changed.

Again, people will exploit this by acting like jackasses and then changing their name to escape all blame. Then you'll also have people changing their names all the time just to mess with other people. In WoW, a characters' name is their only uniquely identifying piece of information. In order to have a stable community, there has to be some sort of assurance that the level 80 guy named "Bob" that you saw yesterday is the same as the "Bob" you're seeing today.

3) Appearance change should be free and part of the realism. You should be able to change your hairstyle at least for free since it is realistic. If anything, there should be an in game barber that you pay with in game money for a makeover.

There ARE barbers in town that you can pay with game money for makeovers, so I'm guessing you quit before they were added.

I left because I could not get a free move for my two accounts since I was unhappy with the server. I will NEVER pay for customer support for a game that I pay monthly service fee for.

Dude, character moves aren't customer support. Customer support is answering questions like "Why isn't the game working?" or "Why can't I connect?" or "Why is there a glitch in this ability?" Asking for free server transfers is a game feature -- and one that will never be implemented, for that matter.

29. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 12, 2008, 04:05 Muscular Beaver

If I could change races and sides I'd pay for it.

My saying.
I dont see it being justified to charge for cosmetic changes. Name change, ok. But not extra money for stuff that doesnt hurt server economics or balance.
Hell, in EQ 1 & 2 its a part of the UI. You can even change your clothing color there without additional charge. And everyone knows that Sony could use money much more than Blizzard.

Tell us how you really feel.

Well, hes right. Only WoW addicts dont see the obvious...

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2008, 04:08.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

28. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 12, 2008, 02:41  Cutter 

If I could change races and sides I'd pay for it.

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

27. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 12, 2008, 01:52 Ruffiana

I don't play WoW; not worth the money to me for the time I'd have to put in. But that being said, I think they should be able to charge whatever they want to charge, for whatever they want to charge. It's a free market, and the consumer will decide if it is worth it or not. If someone wants to do this and is willing to pay for the privilege, why the heck not? Why give it away when you can charge for it? A company selling a product or service owes you nothing. If they decide to be generous and give something away, great, praise them for that generosity; but you can't fault them when they don't. They are under no obligation to do so.

Why do people always complain about what other's do with their money? I think some people just enjoy being the turd in everyone else's punchbowl.

QFE

Not a WoW player either, but $15/mo comes out to roughly two cents per hour.

Name any form of entertainment or even any service that's cheaper. Average game is $60 for maybe 40-50 hours of playtime. Do the math, there's not even a comparison.

Selling premium services for a bit extra is hardly corporate greed, especially when those services aren't required or really advantageous.

Overblown sense of entitlement, that's all it is.

26. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 20:02  Kxmode 

On a completely unrelated side note...

nin your sig...

"Well son, a funny thing about regret is, it's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend, would you be sure and tell her..."

Satan by Orbital
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVEm803tBWo

Booom!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

25. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 19:19 g_mann

This sounds like something that overon would do if he ran a gaming company.  

24. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 19:00 Fibrocyte

Use the Blues News Punk Buster Greasemonkey script in Firefox. It gets those stains right out. It has the power of orange.

Haha nicely said. I'll try it out.

23. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 18:51  Frijoles 

I don't think I've ever been able to read an entire post from Tanto Edge.

Use the Blues News Punk Buster Greasemonkey script in Firefox. It gets those stains right out. It has the power of orange.

22. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 18:35  Kxmode 

Blizzard is a low life scum sucking company that should not be supported by the community no matter how good of a game they deliver. Blizzard you can suck me you bunch of greedy bastards!

Tell us how you really feel.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 18:35.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

21. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 18:28 Fibrocyte

I don't think I've ever been able to read an entire post from Tanto Edge. They're always overflowing with unnecessary profanity and extreme stupidity.

In this episode, I was only able to make it to this sentence before my idiot filter kicked in:

I don't want some other ass hat's unhealthy obsession to become an Okay practice in my mainstream pop culture.

20. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 18:24 rist3903

If I change my tauren male to a female will I still have dudeparts under the dress? What I am trying to discern here is whether I should be role playing pre or post op.  

19. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 18:04  Darks 

Unbelievable, Blizzard is breaking out the cows. Milk, milk, milk. I will never support Blizzard or their unbelievable greed factor. First they over charge you for an ADD-ON that should sell for $29.99. Then they milk the community for every penny they can get. Lord of the Rings offers these types of char changes free within their game. Blizzard is a low life scum sucking company that should not be supported by the community no matter how good of a game they deliver. Blizzard you can suck me you bunch of greedy bastards!  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

18. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 17:41  Kxmode 

WHAT THE FUCK DO PEOPLE SUPPORT THIS FUCKING GAME FOR!?

I think you're asking 'WHY' and if you even have to ask you will never get it.

FUCK OZZIE OZBORNE! FUCK HIM IN HIS ASS!

It's OZZY OSBOURNE you tard.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 17:41.

17. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 17:36 Jurio

You are a crazy crazy person  

16. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 17:13 sponge

I figured they were doing this so people wouldn't abuse it and constantly change their looks and name, but that's just crazy ol' not-as-cynical me.  

15. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 16:58 Grounded

"into my mainstream games, I will happily execute the ass hat that thinks it's okay to pay or charge that amount because at that point it's encroaching on a freedom that I appreciate"

Your mainstream game? What might that be? Counterstrike?

Jesus, WoW has 11 MILLION people playing it. I love how Blues readers always knock on MMO's, it cracks me up

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >