Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates

Steam is now serving automatic updates for Sacred 2 and Left 4 Dead. The Left 4 Dead update addresses some bugs and exploits, speeds the process of finding a dedicated server, and locks Versus mode at Normal difficulty. The Sacred 2 update adds new bosses, eight new portals, balance changes, bug fixes, and more.
View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates
Dec 5, 2008, 22:52
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 22:52
Dec 5, 2008, 22:52

In my opinion the only truly meaningful scoring mechanism would be to let each group play through an entire campaign as 1 side, and them repeat with sides swapped.

It's an nice idea in principle, but I don't think it'd work in practise. There are too many "I really only want to play the Infected" people as it is, allowing them to play through an entire campaign and then bail would just make things worse.

Dec 5, 2008, 22:43
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 22:43
Dec 5, 2008, 22:43

I also see no mention of the broken animations or purple textures when alt-tabbing the game.

I do not recommend ever alt-tabbing from a valve game. They just don't take it well.

Do it 20-30 times a game - everytime I play.....never had an issue.

Dec 5, 2008, 22:23
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 22:23
Dec 5, 2008, 22:23

4) Stop having me try to join "full" servers. Or, rather, if I select "join a game in progress", don't simply tell me the game is full, then kick me back to the main menu. I wanted to join a game - keep trying to join one until you manage to do it.
Exactly. That's common sense, which really makes me question why it's still an issue.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Dec 5, 2008, 21:57
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 21:57
Dec 5, 2008, 21:57

The imbalance of the versus mode is due to the director AI. When it chooses to spawn certain types of special monsters, using the same criteria it chooses to spawn those monsters in a normal game, that monster becomes available to the infected team. If one team gets multiple tanks that means the director AI has decided that the survivor team is doing better than the same level where they were the infected got only 1 tank. For better or worse blame the director AI, though it does kinda screw up the balance of versus.

In my opinion the only truly meaningful scoring mechanism would be to let each group play through an entire campaign as 1 side, and them repeat with sides swapped. Whichever team completed the campaign the quickest wins. Maybe add time penalties for survivor deaths. The current abstract and lame scoring mechanism, while swapping sides each round is useless.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2008, 21:59.

Dec 5, 2008, 17:21
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 17:21
Dec 5, 2008, 17:21

sweetness

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2008, 17:21.

Dec 5, 2008, 15:27
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 15:27
Dec 5, 2008, 15:27

Of course it's a competitive game. That's why the have scores at the end of each round, and why it says stuff like "The enemy team is winning".

By "competitive," I think he meant that the game won't be played in tournaments or ladders.

Dec 5, 2008, 15:15
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 15:15
Dec 5, 2008, 15:15

this isnt a competative game

Of course it's a competitive game. That's why the have scores at the end of each round, and why it says stuff like "The enemy team is winning".

Oh, yeah, and why it's called "Versus".

Dec 5, 2008, 10:35
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 10:35
Dec 5, 2008, 10:35

Better Late than Dead.....Ha!!!!

Ok its lame, but I couldnt resist it....
I have a nifty blue line!

Dec 5, 2008, 08:28
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 08:28
Dec 5, 2008, 08:28

personally, i really like the random aspect. its what makes the game fun. even in vrs.

this isnt a competative game, if you want that id suggest quakelives beta, CS, or even to a certain extent TF2.

this is just good old fun in my opinion, and the best thing about hte game for me, is the amount of "lul" moments it produces.

/theo
Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

Dec 5, 2008, 04:18
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 04:18
Dec 5, 2008, 04:18

A couple more...

8) Do your math properly! If you're going to have 1 survivor give a 1x bonus (ie, not give any bonus at all) then the 0x bonus for no survivors needs to eliminate the score. Or, a better option, would be having a survivor give a 2x bonus and scale up from there. It seems stupid that actually managing to squeak through a "win" and get someone into the safe room barely gives any bonus whatsoever (basically just their health bonus).

9) Stop with the needless "team balancing", or whatever it is. Again, many times have I joined a game with a friend, played a few rounds with them, and then got switched to the other team. The point of me playing was to play WITH my friend(s), not against them. I can't see a valid reason to move someone to another team when you've only got 8 players - it's simple enough to wait a bit, and someone will join to balance things up again.

10) Which brings up... Allow me to select my player when joining an existing game. If I'm joining to play with a friend, and there's a spot on his team, I want to choose it - not the other team.

11) Adjust the end-map scores. It's pretty stupid that a team that barely manages to reach the radio (and then dies) gets the exact same amount of points as a team that successfully fights off all the waves and dies at the last moment.

Dec 5, 2008, 02:41
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 02:41
Dec 5, 2008, 02:41

I don't think the random witches are all that game breaking. I am used to playing on the more difficult co-op settings and so when I come across them in versus they feel like paper tigers.

If the game were scripted as far as where weapons were located as well as the witch spawns, it would in favor of the people who played the infected the first round. They would know the weapon spawns and go right for them, as well as stock up on molotovs for the tank they knew would be spawning. They could throw down the fire right where he popped, when he popped and book it. He wouldn't have a chance.

It would, however, be nice if the director noticed the scores and threw the occasional extra witch at the people who were winning, or even hid or withheld the random weapons you come across.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2008, 03:15.

Dec 5, 2008, 02:23
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 02:23
Dec 5, 2008, 02:23

2) Make Versus "fair". Yeah, you're never going to have even teams, but the reality is, what can work fine in Campaign mode really screws you up in Versus. I've had the "enemy" team get a tank right out of the door, while we didn't get a tank at all. The enemy team gets weapon upgrades at the first table, ours are at the last. The enemy team gets -two- tanks, we only get one. The enemy team gets an extra tank on the last level, we don't. In Campaign mode, that's just the luck of the draw, but in Versus, you are competing against the other team. Allowing them to get an extra tank, early weapons, etc, makes for extremely unbalanced games.
I agree with that! I haven't played versus much because of this. I haven't seen one team get more tanks, but the weapon upgrades and non playable infected should be the same for each team.

This one time on the first level of the first campaign, I was on the infected side first. Two of the survivors managed to get in the safe house. When it was our turn to be the survivors, a fucking witch was sitting right in front of the safe house door. There was no way around her. The other team didn't have a witch at all. In fact, that's the only time I've ever seen a witch on that level.

The AI director should create a random "script" for both teams to play before the start of the game.

EDIT: I should use the preview function more often.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2008, 02:25.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one. - Mr. Diety

Dec 5, 2008, 01:25
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 01:25
Dec 5, 2008, 01:25

I really love L4D. But with that being said, there are some extremely annoying parts of it.

1) Inability to stop loading a game, or stop reconnecting. The game shouldn't be "hijacked" in those cases. I should still be able to get to the menu.

2) Make Versus "fair". Yeah, you're never going to have even teams, but the reality is, what can work fine in Campaign mode really screws you up in Versus. I've had the "enemy" team get a tank right out of the door, while we didn't get a tank at all. The enemy team gets weapon upgrades at the first table, ours are at the last. The enemy team gets -two- tanks, we only get one. The enemy team gets an extra tank on the last level, we don't. In Campaign mode, that's just the luck of the draw, but in Versus, you are competing against the other team. Allowing them to get an extra tank, early weapons, etc, makes for extremely unbalanced games.

3) Find decent servers. The number of times I've had games end because of crappy servers is much higher than it should be. If you're going to have it search for servers, have it find decent ones.

4) Stop having me try to join "full" servers. Or, rather, if I select "join a game in progress", don't simply tell me the game is full, then kick me back to the main menu. I wanted to join a game - keep trying to join one until you manage to do it.

5) Don't let the enemy get into the exit vehicles. At the end of ... crap, can't remember the map now, but the Versus mode that isn't Mercy, the "final" spawned tank, that shows up when the exit vehicle gets there almost always manages to beat the survivors to the vehicle, even if they are right in the vicinity.

6) Don't allow friendly fire before the safe room door is opened. Too many times have I had someone incapacitate someone right at the start of a level - either because they are about to leave, because they were spamming the "shoot" button at the beginning of the round, or because they are idiots. The infected can't spawn until the survivors leave the safe room anyway.

7) Make some way to adjust the difficulty level with Versus. Sure, a lot of people might like it on Normal, but I, and I know I'm not alone here, find it too easy. Allowing the difficulty level to be set (before the game is launched) should be an option.

Those are the main ones I remember, there are probably a few I'm forgetting.

Dec 5, 2008, 00:49
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 5, 2008, 00:49
Dec 5, 2008, 00:49

I've had it put us in a Versus game when we were supposed to be in a regular game on normal difficulty.
Yeah, I've had that several times... VERY annoying.

I do not recommend ever alt-tabbing from a valve game. They just don't take it well.
I know but it's disappointing. I really hope Windows 7 tries to improve alt-tab performance as it should be instant - a game should alt-tab exactly like Firefox or Outlook (the fact it's using 95% of the CPU should have no bearing on that performance). Windows should always take priority so you can properly manage applications / deal with unresponsive applications. Vista improved things considerably but there's still a LONG way to go.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Dec 4, 2008, 23:49
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 4, 2008, 23:49
Dec 4, 2008, 23:49

I also see no mention of the broken animations or purple textures when alt-tabbing the game.

Dec 4, 2008, 23:46
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 4, 2008, 23:46
Dec 4, 2008, 23:46

• Finding a dedicated server when starting the game from a lobby is now faster and more reliable
  • Versus mode is now locked to Normal difficulty
  • Difficulty on a server is now locked to the one set by the lobby reservation
  • Fixed lagouts/spikes after level transition]
    • +Fixed directory issue with spray logs in some cases
    • Fixed video settings not saving after closing video options dialog
    • Corrected a boomer suicide exploit
    • Several minor localization fixes
    • Fixed disabling cheats incorrectly resetting data
It's about time they fixed the difficulty setting from the lobby. I've had it put us in a Versus game when we were supposed to be in a regular game on normal difficulty. Also when I first started playing I wanted to go though each campaign from start to finish on Normal before moving up. Once it put us in Expert, and it took us a couple of minutes to figure out why we were getting our asses kicked just a few feet outside the safe house door. One person quit, and another joined us in progress. We tried to vote to change it to normal, but the guy that joined in progress wouldn't vote for it.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one. - Mr. Diety

Dec 4, 2008, 23:34
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 4, 2008, 23:34
Dec 4, 2008, 23:34

steam updates are never automatic for me anymore.
Same here. I just started Steam for the first time today after seeing this, and it didn't download any update. When I try to run the game, it then downloads the update.

I think it has something to do with the Steam client update a few days ago. I noticed after that update, Steam starts much faster now. I think they improved startup times by not scanning for individual game updates every time.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2008, 23:34.

Dec 4, 2008, 23:29
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 4, 2008, 23:29
Dec 4, 2008, 23:29

Yup, zero problems. Works like a charm.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2008, 23:29.

Dec 4, 2008, 23:23
Re: Left 4 Dead & Sacred 2 Steam Updates Dec 4, 2008, 23:23
Dec 4, 2008, 23:23

I have played about 60 hours of Left4Dead and lately haven't had any problem at all finding games, etc. The networking portion works fine for me.

Left 4 Dead
Dec 4, 2008, 22:53
Kxmode

Left 4 Dead Dec 4, 2008, 22:53
Dec 4, 2008, 22:53
 Kxmode

Yeah. That's how I feel as a PC gamer... /sigh
"What does Ramen mean? It means Japanese spaghetti."
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older