Tabula Rasa Closing

Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa Website has a "Message from the Tabula Rasa Team," saying NCsoft is closing down the science fiction MMORPG at the end of February 2009, expressing their pride in having created a game with "unique features that make it fun and very different from every other MMO out there," but ultimately admitting that "the game never achieved the player population we hoped for." In the meantime the game will go free to play as of January 10, 2009, and they say: "We can assure you that through the next couple of months we'll be doing some really fun things in Tabula Rasa, and we plan to make staying on a little longer worth your while. For more details about what we are doing for Tabula Rasa players, please click here." Kotaku has a follow-up on this from NCsoft's David Swofford who says there will be layoffs as a result of this. Tabula Rasa, which means "clean slate" was designed by Ultima creator Richard Garriott, who recently returned from a trip to space and announced he was leaving NCsoft to pursue "new interests." Thanks nin.
View : : :
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Tabula Rasa Closing
Dec 20, 2008, 13:56
Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Dec 20, 2008, 13:56
Dec 20, 2008, 13:56

My God, you people are delusional. If you think this foretells the end of new MMOs you are completely clueless. MMOs are like any other genre - they have their hits and their bombs. Tabula Rasa, as many who played the beta knew, was simply a dud. Fact is, you don't need 11 million subscribers to have a successful MMO. EVE is living proof.

Nov 22, 2008, 11:33
Fion

Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 22, 2008, 11:33
Nov 22, 2008, 11:33
 Fion

VVV Thats the most precise reasoning for the games demise to date. They made an MMOFPS with no First Person. They were doomed from the get go

Course it didn't help that for an MMOFPS the mechanics sucked compared to the only other MMOFPS, Planetside. Problem is they both had an issue in that they cost a monthly fee when other games as good or better were free to play after purchase.

But Planetside is still going and still has a fair number of subscribers and when they offer it up for free for a time, a boatload of folks come back. IMHO that game could have been very successful with a micropayment system. First 10 levels free, next 10 cost $$, next tier weapons cost $$, but once you have them all, you never pay for them again.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2008, 11:37.

Nov 22, 2008, 11:02
Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 22, 2008, 11:02
Nov 22, 2008, 11:02

These idiots released a shooting mmorpg with no first person view, what did they expect? Morons.

Nov 22, 2008, 03:00
Cutter

Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 22, 2008, 03:00
Nov 22, 2008, 03:00
 Cutter

Or at least we can get away from the "massive" aspect. I think there's plenty of viable niche market out there for everyone. It was like the grand master, Tim Cain, was saying about Fallout as a MOG, how do you have a post-apocalyptic world where population is scarce, maintain that with several thousand players on a server?

This is one reason why MUD's were so successful. It wan't simply that it was pre-grapics and all text. It was an intimate experience where at most you had several hundred people sharing the same world. it created a real sense of community you just can't get with thousands or millions of people.

I'd like to see some sort of new MUD/MOG hybrid. Take Diablo meets WoW. a game world larger than one, but smaller than the other, that would support several hundred members to create that sense of community. Self-policing, creative, fun. MUD's managed to do it for years with nothing but text, so there's no reason we can't see with graphical RPGs. And it would certainly be much more cost effective. hell utilize the MUD structure of having easy to use tools that anyone could use to create content and let the community vet it. something great would obviously be used where that which is not would fall by the wayside. It would cost the devs nothing, and give the community a real sense of contribution they otherwise lack.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2008, 03:03.
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Nov 22, 2008, 02:53
Cutter

Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 22, 2008, 02:53
Nov 22, 2008, 02:53
 Cutter

Not at all, I just would hope the point would be to discuss our disagreements to understand each other, and not just to tell each other to shut up.

Shut up, Blue!

Ahh come on, brah, you know how it's alwayws been around here. Jesus, think about some of the flamouts me and Warhawk have had. You never censored them, granted, I think you were probably more amused by them then anything else and knew we'd work it out as we always do anyway. All the regs around here rag on each other from time to time, but it always gets worked out. It's always water under the bridge. There isn't a single regular here - with the exception of some obvious trolls/racists/bigots - that I ever stay mad at. I may call someone a douchebag on Tuesday and hate their guts, but I've forgotten all about it by Friday.

Sometimes we all need to get smacked down. Humility is a wonderful thing. And I'm grateful you've always been pretty even and free-handed about it, becuase you know that the vast majority of will work it out in the end, and that the heat of the moment doesn't translate into eternal vitriol. That's how Blue's works.

"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Nov 22, 2008, 02:21
Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 22, 2008, 02:21
Nov 22, 2008, 02:21

Blue I have no problem with discussion in any way shape or form, my issue is the small minded blanket statements said by the individual in question on several occasions lately.

Crude on my part, for that I apologize, but at the same time it's sad with the world of information just clicks away that people again tend to make blanket statements without any sort of info to back up the claims.

I apologize to you Blue, but not to him.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2008, 02:23.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Re: Re: Tabula Rasa Closing
Nov 21, 2008, 20:57
Re: Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 20:57
Nov 21, 2008, 20:57

Yeah, TR never developed a community and doomed itself. It'll be interesting to see how NCSoft approaches MMOs in North America from now on, considering all the mistakes they made with TR. (shutting down the official boards, letting Richard Garriot piss away millions on failed game designs, releasing in a beta state, etc.)

City of Heroes' subs are steady as a rock compared to Auto Assault, Dungeon Runners and TR. No danger of that going under, even with all the competition.

Nov 21, 2008, 19:58
Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 19:58
Nov 21, 2008, 19:58

I'm not really surprised either. Though I do love MMOs. Only problem is too many of them are go slaughter everything that moves. Now that's what a large portion of what people want, but I don't see any reason to pay a monthly subscription fee for that. I can do that in single player games, or play multiplayer with out the dedicated server. It's not like your actions make much of a difference in most MMOs.

I do however really like UO. You don't have to slaughter everything, you can be just a tailor, or a miner, plant grower, or many other things. Other games have these aspects too, but you must kill, kill, kill, a little bit of what you want to do, then forced to go kill, kill, kill.

I was hoping Tabula Rasa would be another hybrid game, but from all I read it was just another Massive Multi-player Online Quake with a different battle system.

I don't know any other game like UO, but with how much EA has screwed us, I'm hoping one will come along.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2008, 19:59.

Nov 21, 2008, 19:46
Prez

Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 19:46
Nov 21, 2008, 19:46
 Prez

Not at all surprised by this. Nor am I sad. I hate MMO's with a passion, mostly for reasons that Theyarecomingforyou got told to STFU for.

The modern MMO is the absolute antithesis of everything about games that made me a hardcore gamer. In a word, they suck ass.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 21, 2008, 19:30
Kxmode

Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 19:30
Nov 21, 2008, 19:30
 Kxmode

Not at all, I just would hope the point would be to discuss our disagreements to understand each other, and not just to tell each other to shut up.

We're passionate about our games and sometimes that passion can get out of hand.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Nov 21, 2008, 18:59
Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 18:59
Nov 21, 2008, 18:59

Because you disagree with him? That's just ridiculous. This is a discussion forum, so discuss...

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

No point in feigning surprise or disgust at the lack of civility here, Blue. It's been like this for years and you know it.

Nov 21, 2008, 18:00
Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 18:00
Nov 21, 2008, 18:00

I've had enough of this Blue fellow already, all he does around here is stir shit up, never adds anything to this site.

We should all complain and get him banned. I remember the site before he turned up, it was cool and relaxed back then (good old days back of blank green screen)

(it's for the best, he's dragging us all down with him, in L4D I'd leave him behind)

Anxious

Nov 21, 2008, 17:57
PHJF

Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 17:57
Nov 21, 2008, 17:57
 PHJF

People don't play MMO's for many reasons.

They play MMO's because they like MySpace and Facebook and need a game to construct the same social layer.
I've tried a bunch, but the mechanics behind all MMO's are consistently terrible. They're flatout bad games, as can be proven by simply playing one by yourself. Stick a "kill 50 wolves" quest in a singleplayer RPG and see what kind of reaction it gets from a player. Or how about "Find and Click 2000 piles of ore so you can make this sword." That's not fun, that's not exciting, that's work.

Like was previously mentioned, the CONCEPT of a massive persistent online world is pretty much the holy grail of gaming, but until somebody develops a *good game* to back it up I'll keep my role playing offline.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Nov 21, 2008, 17:53
Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 17:53
Nov 21, 2008, 17:53

Blue you cant seriously expect folks to not be jaded and completely disagree with each other on THIS forum can you?

Not at all, I just would hope the point would be to discuss our disagreements to understand each other, and not just to tell each other to shut up. Disappointed
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Nov 21, 2008, 17:49
Fion

Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 17:49
Nov 21, 2008, 17:49
 Fion

Because you disagree with him? That's just ridiculous. This is a discussion forum, so discuss...

Sigh Wall2

Blue you cant seriously expect folks to not be jaded and completely disagree with each other on THIS forum can you?

Nov 21, 2008, 17:48
Fion

Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 17:48
Nov 21, 2008, 17:48
 Fion

CoX has three times as many playing it as TR does right now. I'm sure it's gonna loose folks to Champions Online but IMHO the majority will return to CoX after a few months. Just like all the WoW players that left for Warhammer, the majority have gone back to WoW already.

Still you are right NCSoft often has great ideas that are poorly implemented and poorly supported post launch. CoX is not one of these however as it has perhaps the most dedicated dev team I've ever seen (when NCSoft bought CoX, every last one of them left Cryptic and came along to keep working on CoX.) So I don't see that game on the chopping block at all.

DC Universe is gonna suck, it's rather obvious.

Nov 21, 2008, 17:47
Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 17:47
Nov 21, 2008, 17:47

theyarecomingforyou, please stfu already.

Sigh Wall2
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Nov 21, 2008, 17:03
Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 17:03
Nov 21, 2008, 17:03

theyarecomingforyou, please stfu already.

People don't play MMO's for many reasons.

but NCSoft keeps pumping out these MMO's that have good ideas just horrible post launch support.

When Champions Online and (especially) DC Universe Online, watch City of Heroes be the next on the chopping block.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Re: Hey NCSoft...
Nov 21, 2008, 16:55
Re: Hey NCSoft... Nov 21, 2008, 16:55
Nov 21, 2008, 16:55

Why not do a Station Pass like Sony?
I can't believe how they are so stupid to not do this. Two MMO's that I like have been closed by NCSoft ... a company who if they did a Station Pass type arrangement I would subscribe.

That's it for me an NCSoft. They ain't getting a penny from me anymore.

Nov 21, 2008, 16:50
Re: Tabula Rasa Closing Nov 21, 2008, 16:50
Nov 21, 2008, 16:50

Ahh yes. I guess 11 million people cant be wrong. I love backlash from someone that probably couldn't get past level 30
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older