Dead Space Ships

This press release has word that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions of Dead Space are now appearing in North American stores, while the Windows edition will be available in North America next week on October 20. The science fiction-themed survival/horror game is expected in European stores on October 24 for both Windows and consoles. Word is: "Set five hundred years in the future, Dead Space follows the story of Isaac Clarke, a normal systems engineer, who is sent with a small repair team to restore communications aboard an immense mining ship, the USG Ishimura. Once onboard the vessel, Isaac discovers that the crew has unearthed an ancient and malevolent alien presence far beneath the planet’s surface and brought it onboard. It’s a living nightmare onboard the Ishimura, which has turned into a floating bloodbath, as the crew has been unspeakably mutilated and infected by an ancient alien scourge. Clarke’s repair mission becomes one of survival as he fights not just to save himself, but to return the artifact to the planet at any cost." Also, there's a Dead Space launch trailer on the Dead Space Website, mirrored on AtomicGamer, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and MyGameTrailers. There's also an "Art, Gore & Creature" developer diary movie on ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, FileFront, and Gamer's Hell. Finally, Glen Schofield's new Dead Space developer diary is posted on Edge Online.
View : : :
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Oct 15, 2008, 04:13
Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 04:13
Oct 15, 2008, 04:13

I'd never play a driving game on the PC with mouse/kb. I'd never play a PC flight sim with mouse/kb; i mean look what they did to freelancer. So no, PC games should not all be optimized for mouse/kb.

I think you missed my point. I didn't say that all PC games should be ideally played with mouse and keyboard. I said all PC games should be optimized to play with KB & M. As in, have controls that are actually functional, if not ideal, by PC gaming standards. As for Freelancer, I didn't really have any issues with the M+KB controls. I haven't had any issues with them in X3 either. That's the important thing: If I'm playing a PC game, I shouldn't have any issues playing that game with mouse and keyboard. Obviously Freelancer and X3 would be better with a flight stick but they are perfectly playable with mouse and keyboard.

Not saying that Dead Space can't work with mouse/kb, but this kind of survival horror plays very well with a gamepad and it is a welcomed change of pace from the typical shooters out on the PC.

Dead Space requires aiming. Aiming is, by default, better with a mouse. There is no good reason why Dead Space can't be optimized for mouse and keyboard controls. If you have to rely on slow, clunky controls to make your game scary then your game wasn't scary to begin with.

Oct 15, 2008, 02:43
Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 02:43
Oct 15, 2008, 02:43

Not at all. Any console game should be optimized for its primary control scheme, be it a gamepad or a Wiimote or whatever. The primary control scheme for the PC is mouse and keyboard. Therefore, PC games should be optimized for mouse and keyboard.

I'd never play a driving game on the PC with mouse/kb. I'd never play a PC flight sim with mouse/kb; i mean look what they did to freelancer. So no, PC games should not all be optimized for mouse/kb.

Not saying that Dead Space can't work with mouse/kb, but this kind of survival horror plays very well with a gamepad and it is a welcomed change of pace from the typical shooters out on the PC.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 03:21.

Oct 15, 2008, 00:09
Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 00:09
Oct 15, 2008, 00:09

Damn, this fucking game followed me into the other room! I turn on the TV, and there's a half hour special on Dead Space on the sci-fi channel! o.O

I watched Good Eats instead... But it was the episode about beets. DAMN YOU, FATE! DON'T SPOIL DEAD SPACE FOR MEEEE!!!

Oct 14, 2008, 22:31
Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 22:31
Oct 14, 2008, 22:31

I wish I hadn't watched that launch trailer. Too much spoiler IMO.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure they showed off the final boss.

Oct 14, 2008, 22:19
Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 22:19
Oct 14, 2008, 22:19

I wish I hadn't watched that launch trailer. Too much spoiler IMO.

Oct 14, 2008, 21:26
Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 21:26
Oct 14, 2008, 21:26

There's a market demand for console ports which is why they keep appearing, if they didn't make any money at all then we wouldn't get them.

That's still no excuse for a half-assed port.

No subject
Oct 14, 2008, 21:15
No subject Oct 14, 2008, 21:15
Oct 14, 2008, 21:15

If they are unable to create an acceptable gaming experience with the PCs native controls then why not leave it on a console?

If I were interested in console games and their (to me) frustrating controls, I'd buy one. But I'm not interested in getting a console or making my PC play like one.

Pretty simple answer to your questions: not everyone is you. People have different opinions, likes, dislikes and so on. Some people don't mind a gamepad at all. Some people prefer the mouse. Some people use both and don't care which. There's a market demand for console ports which is why they keep appearing, if they didn't make any money at all then we wouldn't get them.

Oct 14, 2008, 21:10
Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 21:10
Oct 14, 2008, 21:10

I don't understand the point of porting a console game to the PC if it needs a console controller to play.

If they are unable to create an acceptable gaming experience with the PCs native controls then why not leave it on a console?

If I were interested in console games and their (to me) frustrating controls, I'd buy one. But I'm not interested in getting a console or making my PC play like one.

I suppose others are into turning their PC into a console and I guess it could be a nice option to some people, but if PC gaming is so dead, why limit your audience to the few PC gamers that actually have a console controller.

I mean, if you can't make your game work on a PC then why bother porting it? Seems like a waste of time to me.

I remember when the first console ports started coming out and I found them basically unplayable and vowed never to buy a port again. Since then we've had many cross-platform games that worked just fine with a keyboard and mouse.

If, in the Year 2008, you can't make it work on a PC, then why bother porting. There's nothing worse than pissing off people with a potentially good game that goes down the tubes because of idiotic and frustrating input controls.

Oct 14, 2008, 21:02
Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 21:02
Oct 14, 2008, 21:02

The last 3 times I've gone to purchase video games from game stores, it's been a miserable experience.

Pssst...

www.gogamer.com is your friend.

Creston

No subject
Oct 14, 2008, 20:53
No subject Oct 14, 2008, 20:53
Oct 14, 2008, 20:53

Not really, more like Event Horizon and The Thing if anything. Go check out the trailer then hit the official site or read some of their news blogs, they've been leaking story pieces in an ARG for awhile now. Look's pretty damned cool.

So
Oct 14, 2008, 20:49
So Oct 14, 2008, 20:49
Oct 14, 2008, 20:49

It's basically Alien without the license, then?

Creston

Oct 14, 2008, 20:36
Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 20:36
Oct 14, 2008, 20:36

This is just a stupid over-generalization, and it's the same whining I was arguing against without actually making a counterpoint. Again, it is entirely possible for a game to both be good and designed for a controller's input.

Not at all. Any console game should be optimized for its primary control scheme, be it a gamepad or a Wiimote or whatever. The primary control scheme for the PC is mouse and keyboard. Therefore, PC games should be optimized for mouse and keyboard. Naturally, console ports are not designed for mouse and keyboard. However, with sufficient effort, a functional, playable control scheme can be devised. This isn't fanboyism or elitism. It's common sense.

The game is designed to be less about twitch aiming and more about immersion.

Uh, actually, if you watch gameplay videos, you'll notice that you spend a good amount of time blowing the crap out of hordes of enemies. From what I've seen, this looks to be an action horror game with an emphasis on action. Quite frankly, handicapping the player by reducing their turn/aim sensitivity is a cheap way to boost intensity. Penumbra, Undying, System Shock, etc, had no such arbitrary limitations and those are scary games.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2008, 20:59.

No subject
Oct 14, 2008, 20:20
No subject Oct 14, 2008, 20:20
Oct 14, 2008, 20:20

This might be one of those ports to PC that works best with a 360 controller plugged into the USB port with the MS adapter.

Don't forget the alternative which may be better depending on your room layout; a corded 360 controller which is just a USB device and doesn't need batteries.

I imagine people with a more casual outlook towards the act of playing games, if not how they game in and of itself, would rather have a cordless device, but my 360 and PS3 are both on my desk and run through my PC's monitor, which has a nice convenient button to change input sources on the fly (no need to spend two-grand on a cheap, inferior-quality high-def TV for the consoles is also a definite plus.) What with the consoles about three feet from me, cordless controllers are just silly in my case.

Any PC game that requires aim should be optimized for mouse and keyboard. If it doesn't require aim, then hey, I'm all for gamepads.

This is just a stupid over-generalization, and it's the same whining I was arguing against without actually making a counterpoint. Again, it is entirely possible for a game to both be good and designed for a controller's input. Watch any Youtube vid of Dead Space simply being played and it's quite obviously paced slow and methodically. The game is designed to be less about twitch aiming and more about immersion. Disliking this particular design decision is one thing and a matter of opinion, but saying all games with a character holding a gun must have mouse or else!!!!!11!!!!one!!! regardless of how the developers intend it to be played is just dumb fanboyism.
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

Oct 14, 2008, 20:09
Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 20:09
Oct 14, 2008, 20:09

4 hours in line at a videogame store? The last time I waited more than 45 minutes in line anywhere was at the DMV. Your whole story reeks of exaggeration just to excuse bad behavior, right down to the cliched "pimply faced dweeb". If you want to pirate games, fine, go nuts. Don't justify it to us though please or make up stories that a 2 year old could shoot holes in.

I *didn't* pirate though. I sat there and waited. But the thought crossed my mind, and that was my point. If you want people to dish money for your game, try to make the purchasing experience as nice as possible.

And I wasn't exaggerating. The one EB I went to had the only copy of the game I wanted within 50 miles, so I went over there to buy it. I walked in and each of the two clerks had a line at least 8 people deep. The line was so long I couldn't get to the game section to pick up the game I wanted, because there was no walk space, and the line ran straight through it. So I got in line (the slower of the two lines it turns out) and waited 20 minutes to *pick up the game box*. The clerk, with every transaction, first reviewed the game that was being sold, and spent 10 minutes trying to talk the person out of buying it, and into buying something else. Then he spent 10 minutes trying to sell the "value" card, and would give the exact same, overly-verbose spiel about what the card did, and then would produce the magazine that you got, and go through, section by section, to show the customer what the magazine had. Then came the 5-10 minute spiel about every game coming out for every system the person owned, and THEN the transaction would take place. I timed each of these segments I was so astounded. He averaged 12 minutes per customer.

Finally the girl behind the counter, who was working her ass off, called me out of line to conduct my 90 second transaction.

One of the other two times, there were three people working behind the counter. One on the register, and the other two talking behind the counter, sorting old controllers and bagging them (the final visit they were sorting through disks while there was a sizeable line). Again, a line of about 6 people. Two of which had arm-fulls of old video games to trade in. If someone ahead of you trades in video games, you *will* be spending 30 minutes in line.

And before being told to go somewhere else, I do order online, but going to some place like Best Buy or Target or Walmart, and you end up paying 60 bucks for a game that a few stores down sells for 25 bucks new.

No subject
Oct 14, 2008, 19:47
No subject Oct 14, 2008, 19:47
Oct 14, 2008, 19:47

I'm just going to bump up my mouse sensitivity and if there isn't a setting for it I'll use a gamepad.

No subject
Oct 14, 2008, 19:40
No subject Oct 14, 2008, 19:40
Oct 14, 2008, 19:40

This might be one of those ports to PC that works best with a 360 controller plugged into the USB port with the MS adapter.

Oct 14, 2008, 19:39
Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 19:39
Oct 14, 2008, 19:39

Flatline, sounds like my local GameSpot all the way. They must give their sales force extra geek/idot training when they hire them. Not to mention 9 times out of 10 they only ordered 1 or 2 copies of any given PC release. They give the Gameboy more shelf space than they give the PC. Then they wonder why the PC sales numbers are so low at retail outlets. This is one of the reasons why I love Steam so much, no more B.S.! The only thing I miss is the actual manual and disk when I purchase from Steam. I'd easily pay an extra 5 bucks if they sent the disk and manual after the download.
"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

No subject
Oct 14, 2008, 19:26
No subject Oct 14, 2008, 19:26
Oct 14, 2008, 19:26

4 hours in line at a videogame store? The last time I waited more than 45 minutes in line anywhere was at the DMV. Your whole story reeks of exaggeration just to excuse bad behavior, right down to the cliched "pimply faced dweeb". If you want to pirate games, fine, go nuts. Don't justify it to us though please or make up stories that a 2 year old could shoot holes in.

Oct 14, 2008, 19:10
Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 19:10
Oct 14, 2008, 19:10

That is normal, most stores don't have new releases on tuesday, it's typically wednsday morning. They just ship today.

I would really like to see stores start having games on their release dates, but I think companies avoid this because they don't have control over when it's gets sold.

If the title is big enough they will. Hell, they'll open at midnight for Halo, GTA, or even guitar-frickin-hero. They can't hit the street date though for anything else.

I hate to say it, but this is another argument in *favor* of piracy. Why should I sit around and wait days or even weeks for a game when I can download it now? I go to the game store and get *laughed* at by the pimply-faced dweeb because he snagged a copy for himself (against company policy) and tells you it'll be 3 weeks to get another shipment in.

The last 3 times I've gone to purchase video games from game stores, it's been a miserable experience. I've wasted almost 4 hours in line to buy one or two games in those trips. Each time, standing there, waiting while the puke behind the counter flirts with the chick who's there to buy a game for her boyfriend and couldn't care less about the idiot, and I think to myself "I could have downloaded the game this morning, and it would have been ready for me by the time I got home from work." Or how about the 12 year old who's selling all his PS2 games back and is pissed because he thought he was going to have hundreds of dollars to spend, and instead only has 28 bucks? They always have to argue with the person behind the counter too. Then you have the clerk who has to have a 20 minute conversation with *every* customer, even when the line is so long it's coiled back on itself twice.

The gaming industry: Punishing all customers by making the purchasing experience as painful as possible.

No subject
Oct 14, 2008, 18:37
No subject Oct 14, 2008, 18:37
Oct 14, 2008, 18:37

The final trailer is pretty damned impressive and reminds me of Event Horizon. Whoever put that trailer together is good, its almost like a production trailer for a feature film.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older