Molyneux: PC Game Market "In Tatters"

VideoGamer.com has an except from a conversation with Peter Molyneux where the Lionhead designer offers a frank, but negative, assessment of the state of PC gaming: "If you look at the gamer market on PC, I'll be quite honest with you, it's in tatters. There aren't that many releases on PC. There are some high points like Crysis and what Blizzard is doing, but other than that you are restricted to The Sims and World of Warcraft, they seem to be dominating the PC side." He also expresses his own personal distaste for copy protection, though he also understands the publisher's side of that, saying: "Anything that may give them more confidence on the PC means that ultimately we as gamers will come out better off because they will invest more in the game."
View : : :
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

No subject
Oct 5, 2008, 21:25
No subject Oct 5, 2008, 21:25
Oct 5, 2008, 21:25

Molyneux's last good game was Dungeon Keeper. That's from fucking 1998.

I'd say Molyneux is the one in tatters.

Re: Intel
Oct 4, 2008, 10:17
Re: Intel Oct 4, 2008, 10:17
Oct 4, 2008, 10:17

If there's one company that's done more the harm PC gaming than any other then it's Intel. This might sound a bit ungrateful as they designed the 80x86 (which I think must have been designed for washing machines to start with -it only had a handful of registers and that issue was never really resolved. But I digress}.
Intel have managed to make their stinking, non-compliant, slow as molasses graphics cards ubiquitous. Now I doubt that any of you here need telling but Joe Public (95% of the people I know) really doesn't know or care about the graphics card - they'll just pick the computer with the pretty case.

Yeah, Intel basically made 2-3 generations of laptop GPU's completely unusable for gaming. I totally agree with you here. Thankfully Intel and Nvidia have made major inroads in getting their IGP's all over the market so it's not as bad as it was 5 years ago but the damage is done.

Intel
Oct 4, 2008, 03:46
Intel Oct 4, 2008, 03:46
Oct 4, 2008, 03:46

If there's one company that's done more the harm PC gaming than any other then it's Intel. This might sound a bit ungrateful as they designed the 80x86 (which I think must have been designed for washing machines to start with -it only had a handful of registers and that issue was never really resolved. But I digress}.
Intel have managed to make their stinking, non-compliant, slow as molasses graphics cards ubiquitous. Now I doubt that any of you here need telling but Joe Public (95% of the people I know) really doesn't know or care about the graphics card - they'll just pick the computer with the pretty case.
Some Intel cards I've had the displeasure of dealing with couldn't even render a textured quad full screen and get all the pixels in the right place.
Maybe this larabee experiment will bear fruit (although I have serious reservations about that, we'll wait and see) but that won't get rid of all the extant graphics cards out there that simply won't run our games and give people a negative view of the whole industry.
However, if we want to appeal to the huge market of installed PCs then you have to cater for the lowest common denominator. The only problem is that it's a hell of a lot of work to scale down an engine (and probably re-do a lot of the art too) to work on the cr*p that Intel has been putting out.

Re: No subject
Oct 4, 2008, 01:37
Re: No subject Oct 4, 2008, 01:37
Oct 4, 2008, 01:37

Same story here for my PSP Flatline, I barely use it anymore. The DS has tons of games and more coming out all the time.

Uh, weren't we having a debate about this before? Where you kept insisting that the lack of quality of software for the PSP was not the biggest reason for its poor software sales..?

No subject
Oct 4, 2008, 01:13
No subject Oct 4, 2008, 01:13
Oct 4, 2008, 01:13

It's worth mentioning all of those systems mentioned were very profitable for Nintendo, even the Gamecube and Nintendo 64. The Nintendo DS has a pretty strong library with just about every genre imaginable covered(theres even old school dungeon crawlers!) and has sold over 23 million units last time I checked. If that's not success I don't know what is.

Same story here for my PSP Flatline, I barely use it anymore. The DS has tons of games and more coming out all the time. The PSP is good for homebrew but frankly I've been doing emulated games for years on the PC anyways, it's not giving me anything new. In fact my favorite two things are my PC and my DS, they see far more playtime than every other entertainment device in my household combined.

Console haters should check out the DS, it's a great little system. In fact there are some RPG experiences more akin to old school PC games on it, something the 360 hasn't even pulled off. Etrian Odyssey gave me nostalgia of my old days with games like Daggerfall. Plus it's cheap and so are the games, homebrew is easy to boot, just get a flashcart like the CycloDS.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 01:19.

Oct 4, 2008, 00:56
Re: No subject Oct 4, 2008, 00:56
Oct 4, 2008, 00:56

Nintendo did indeed make a good decision/got lucky this time around. I'm not sure that that makes up for their 3 consecutive shitty consoles that came before.

Um... the N64 was hardly a failure (even though I skipped that generation of consoles), the GameCube was a failure from a software standpoint. It was cheaper than the PS2, had better hardware, but had garbage for a software library. The only other system I'm aware of is the SNES, which if you're calling a failure, I want to see what a success is.

Or I guess you could say the GBA was a "failure", or the DS is a failure, but as far as handhelds are concerned, Nintendo has dominated for years. I have a DS & a PSP, and while the DS is painful to look at, I have a total of 8 games for the PSP, while I have around 40 for the DS, which gets a *lot* more playtime.

Oct 3, 2008, 22:22
Kxmode

Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 22:22
Oct 3, 2008, 22:22
 Kxmode

tl;dr

QFMFT

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Oct 3, 2008, 21:10
DG
Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 21:10
Oct 3, 2008, 21:10
DG

screw it, I'll bite.

shall we have a look at what the fuckup of the month is on PC soft/hardware? Or is it still Nvidia's packaging debacle? Anyway, for such shitty machines which cost too much and have no games, MS and Sony seem to be drawing away a lot of the talent.

I don't really think it's plausable to write off the Wii's success as being "lucky". Plus, while the Cube was a flop, the N64 has more than it's share of classics, and unless I'm missing something, it was the SNES and NES before that. I'll assume you're not counting the absurdly successful DS/Gameboy line.

Really? How? Please explain, in detail.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/resources/release-dates

But really, where's it going? PC gaming is looking really tired and boring. I've got a small pile of cash looking for an excuse to be spent, and a PC getting to be in need of an upgrade but I just cant see there being any point anytime soon.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 21:12.

Oct 3, 2008, 20:35
DG
Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 20:35
Oct 3, 2008, 20:35
DG

tl;dr

Oct 3, 2008, 18:32
Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 18:32
Oct 3, 2008, 18:32

Bit harsh guys?

You must be new here?

He's saying it's in tatters - in need of repair. He doesn't say PC gaming is dead or irreparable.

- In tatters is, quite frankly, far far beyond in need of repair, but okay, let's entertain that notion. What is Peter molyufysznneeyz doing to repair the PC Game industry? Oh, that's right, he's doing fuck all. Ergo, shut the fuck up Pete.

Far as I can see PC gaming is in a mess right now

Really? How? Please explain, in detail.

whereas with consoles you have business & consumer savvy (relatively) MS/Sony/Nintendo,

Business savvy. Microsoft released a console that they knew would fail 20-30% of the time, causing them to take out a 1.5 billion dollar loss to fix it once the negativity became too great.

Sony released a console that's too fucking expensive and has very very very few games that are worth buying it for. (If it didn't have a blue-ray player in it, it probably would have already been pulled off the shelves).

Nintendo did indeed make a good decision/got lucky this time around. I'm not sure that that makes up for their 3 consecutive shitty consoles that came before.

for PC there's nobody "in charge" to steer it back on course

But... but... There's Games for Windows? And Mark Rein's PC Gamer Alliance?

heh.

So what? The PC has NEVER had someone to keep it in course, and hey, it's still selling fucktons of games. So why all the handwringing? Just because it's not selling as much as consoles? Is that the only measuring staff we're using anymore?

Just because assclowns like cliffyb and Mosleyaynnenezus and Carmack feel that selling 1-4 million copies of a game isn't good enough anymore doesn't mean that the PC isn't a great platform to make games for.

There is nothing wrong with PC Gaming, except shitty DRM.

Creston

Oct 3, 2008, 15:41
Kxmode

Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 15:41
Oct 3, 2008, 15:41
 Kxmode

You can add all indies (Introversion for example)

Not all indies. I wouldn't include Piranha Bytes. They've struggled with their Gothic games. Although Gothic 1 and 2 was full of bugs it at least was fun. Unfortunately they completely lost it on Gothic 3. Now if Spellbound can make Gothic 4 a gem then we can add Spellbound to the list.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
This comment was edited on Oct 3, 15:44.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Oct 3, 2008, 14:10
DG
Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 14:10
Oct 3, 2008, 14:10
DG

Bit harsh guys? He's saying it's in tatters - in need of repair. He doesn't say PC gaming is dead or irreparable. On DRM, he gives reasonable perspective from both sides and goes nowhere near implying PC gamers are a bunch of thieves.

Far as I can see PC gaming is in a mess right now, and whereas with consoles you have business & consumer savvy (relatively) MS/Sony/Nintendo, for PC there's nobody "in charge" to steer it back on course. Only Valve and Stardock seem to be trying to do much about it in a positive way.

Oct 3, 2008, 13:33
Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 13:33
Oct 3, 2008, 13:33

Woah woah... wait a second... When did the majority of Europe, including GERMANY, fall under the 'eastern' category. Germany is West Europe - Crytek are German.

Eastern Europe is basically all the ex-Russian states that have joined the EU and they don't have enough money for QA.

Oct 3, 2008, 13:23
Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 13:23
Oct 3, 2008, 13:23

You are sooo predictable ...

Those are the big names in PC gaming off the top of my head, as I said in my first post. I never said they were the only names in existence. Frankly you just took my statement and stretched the meaning so you could troll me. If you really don't get it then I have a helpful GreaseMonkey script I made to filter out forum users, you can use it to just filter me out and we'll both be happy. Now if you don't have any actual content to add, seeya later.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 13:23.

Oct 3, 2008, 13:11
Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 13:11
Oct 3, 2008, 13:11

Give me a break man, you know what I meant and you know I didn't mean it 100% literally.

You are sooo predictable ...

No subject
Oct 3, 2008, 12:39
No subject Oct 3, 2008, 12:39
Oct 3, 2008, 12:39

Far Cry is a shitty game and the fact that you think that is an example to be looked up to says a lot about your tastes.

Is this a fakepost? I can't tell. Surely this guy must be joking.

Where do you think Crytek is from?

Nope, no patches needed there or entirely new games to give people decent performance. I like Crytek games but Euro devs have a lot to learn about Q/A from the West. I was also referring more to the likes of Gothic and so on by the way.

Whatever floats your boat. But saying, there is none left besides the devs you name, thats stupid.

And when i think of EA and their QA, dont get me started ...

Give me a break man, you know what I meant and you know I didn't mean it 100% literally.

Oct 3, 2008, 11:22
Prez

Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 11:22
Oct 3, 2008, 11:22
 Prez

I loved Far Cry, and I don't normally love "shitty games". If your opinion was that it was shitty, that's fine, but that someone else likes it says nothing about their tastes beyond that they are different from yours.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 3, 2008, 11:11
Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 11:11

Nothing wrong with that but it's a far cry from well....Far Cry

Far Cry is a shitty game and the fact that you think that is an example to be looked up to says a lot about your tastes.

European Devs seem to ship their games in the most horribly buggy states I've ever seen. I've found a few Euro games I'm interested in but their version of Q/A is laughable

Where do you think Crytek is from?

Prez

Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 11:11
 Prez

If you ask me I would rather have 1 good quality PC game per year than 100 titles that suck ass. As far as I am concerned that's what I see when I look at the long list of available console titles.

The ratio of crap games to good games is probably the same for console as it is for PC. In my view, the difference lies in what constitutes a good PC game and what constitutes a good console game.

So much of what's on consoles amounts to nothing more than disposable 'juvenilia'. But there are titles like Ico and God of War ( the 2 console games I've played in the last 5 years that I actually liked) that prove the console can have games that aspire to be something more. I think that there is just less incentive to make such games on a console, given how easy it is to turn a profit on the run-of-the-mill and the mediocre.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Good riddance...
Oct 3, 2008, 11:10
Good riddance... Oct 3, 2008, 11:10
Oct 3, 2008, 11:10

There's really no reason that we need games with $100 million budgets that have to sell practically that many copies to be considered a success. Fuck all the big publishers with that mindset. They won't be missed, and they'll make room for more indie devs to come in and make fun games that will sell more than enough to be profitable. Look at Sins. They made it for under $1 million, and it's a great looking, fun, innovative game. They've made a ton of profit from it and have even been able to afford to add more content and features to it.

We really don't need the big publishers. They only tend to screw things up. They're the reason we end up with the horrible DRM. They're usually the reason that games ship in a buggy state (it's all about those quarterly numbers you know). They seem to figure that they can make up for the shitty quality with more advertising. On consoles, they're probably right. Not so much on the PC. Maybe we won't get many games with huge budgets for all the whiz-bang expensive shit. I'd much rather have a variety of cool innovative games instead anyway. We'll still get the occasional mega-game from Valve or Blizzard most likely too. I don't think I'm going to be mourning the departure of EA or Ubi.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older