7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

hmmm
Sep 25, 2008, 14:15
hmmm Sep 25, 2008, 14:15
Sep 25, 2008, 14:15

which sucks for today's young and their kids, who will almost certainly end up in jobs where they produce IP, unlike grandpa who worked in a factory and had a good pension.

Edit: summarizing.

Oh forget it. I don't respect IP law. At all. I find it offensive that Ip law considers someone who copies a movie inside their house a criminial.

You should be happy that I'm buying your movie, instead you have to warn me that I can't copy it or I could be fined 500,000 dollars.

I can't think of any other company that threatens me after I've paid them.

Thank you for buying this Toyota, now if you let anyone else drive this car we'll come to your house and kill you.

Thank you for buying these groceries, if you let anyone else eat them, we'll come arrest you and throw you in jail.

Thank you for eating at our restaurant, if you try and make this at home we'll come to your house and burn it down.

Thank you for coming to disneyland, if you try and make your own disneyland at home we'll come knock it down and arrest you.

Wake up Cliffski, your IP laws are fucking corrupt and immoral.
This comment was edited on Sep 25, 14:29.

Re: DOJ to congress
Sep 25, 2008, 13:47
Re: DOJ to congress Sep 25, 2008, 13:47
Sep 25, 2008, 13:47

Publishers are unwilling to change their "mode of operandi"
I think you're looking for the term "modus operandi" which is latin for "mode of operation".

edit: also better known to cop and lawyer show fans as M.O.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 13:47.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Sep 25, 2008, 13:44
Re: DOJ to congress Sep 25, 2008, 13:44
Sep 25, 2008, 13:44

Seems like a big change in IP law has to be coming, but it's not one that will favor the corporations. Today's young (and the children they will have) have no respect for IP laws.
That's true. It's because the industry that basically wrote these laws had no respect for the public. They got greedy and overreached bigtime. Copyright is a bargain between the creators and the public. The public grants them a limited monopoly on the distribution of their work for a limited amount of time. In exchange, the work becomes part of the public domain at the end of that period, free for all to use. The IP industry has perverted that bargain over the course of several decades to the point where they get more and more benefits, and the public gets nothing, at least not within a normal human lifetime. It's no wonder people don't respect it, even if they can't articulate why. It just reeks of corruption.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Sep 25, 2008, 06:13
Re: DOJ to congress Sep 25, 2008, 06:13
Sep 25, 2008, 06:13

Publishers are unwilling to change their "mode of operandi" so to speak, and adjust to todays PC market. Im thinking more and more we will see games like Quake Live. That is sort of the future for PC gaming.

I have a nifty blue line!

Sep 25, 2008, 03:39
Re: DOJ to congress Sep 25, 2008, 03:39
Sep 25, 2008, 03:39

which sucks for today's young and their kids, who will almost certainly end up in jobs where they produce IP, unlike grandpa who worked in a factory and had a good pension.

DOJ to congress
Sep 25, 2008, 03:23
DOJ to congress Sep 25, 2008, 03:23
Sep 25, 2008, 03:23

The DOJ said that these private companies already have the legal tools to defend their IP, but is that really true? If so, why haven't these tools been effective?

I ask because every job I've worked at, piracy is 100% supported by every one of my coworkers. Movies, music, games, books.. it's all part of the "free market" so to speak. Heh heh.

Seems like a big change in IP law has to be coming, but it's not one that will favor the corporations. Today's young (and the children they will have) have no respect for IP laws.
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

No subject
Sep 25, 2008, 01:23
No subject Sep 25, 2008, 01:23
Sep 25, 2008, 01:23

Wow. Just...wow.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older